8.1

Review this album

1. May 25, 2013
    Daft Punk effortlessly opt for a more organic instrumental sound, leaving the synthesizers, for the most part, out of it. This is by far the best thing the robots could've done. To show that they can create meaningful and ambitious music using actual instruments not only proves that they are legendary, but still the pioneers of dance music. The 70's, 80's, disco, and new wave influences flourish throughout the whole record. Each collaboration brings life into the album, but it is Daft Punk who shine the most. No one track are the same, in fact every track holds their own and fit perfectly in this album.

All In All, Random Access Memories is the album we deserve after the disappointingly awful Human After All. Daft Punk have finally crafted a huge record, one that will stand the test of time. A modern classic. A-
  2. j30
    Aug 19, 2013
    It is hard to believe that Daft Punk's last official album came out 8 years ago (2005's Human After All) and they haven't lost a beat. With everyone from Britney Spears to Lady Gaga going to more of an electronic sound in their music, Daft Punk's record couldn't have come at a better time. They decided to record most of the album with real instruments with the help of the excellent guitarist Niles Rogers. EDM rarely challenges their listeners as much Daft Punk's RAM does, and is rarely as rewarding. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    Regardless of your stance over Daft Punk’s previous albums, I can hardly think of anyone not liking Random Access Memories. The French duo decided to leave their typical electronic sound and create a more nostalgic and funky vibe that’s also heavier on vocals. Featuring a lot of surprising feature guests (not always in the singing business, of course) such as The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas or septuagenarian singer-songwriter Paul Williams, their fourth album is actually their best, in my opinion. Discovery was amazing, but their newest record just touches so much more layers and combines a multitude of different styles in 13 unique tracks. From sad love songs like “Within” or “Instant Love” over disco gems as “Get Lucky” or “Doin’ It Right” to the unforgettable epics “Touch” and “Giorgio By Moroder”, Random Access Memories presents everything that makes electronic dance music such a great genre. Expand
  4. Aug 15, 2013
    Hype is a very interesting tool in today's music scene, since it can either make or kill an album. And Daft Punk had possibly the most buzzed about & hyped album of this decade with Random Access Memories. For the record while I'm not exactly a lifelong fan of Daft Punk, I at least made sure to listen to Homework before going into this album. And honestly, despite some great tracks, it didn't stick with me very much. Luckily RAM didn't have a similar underwhelming affect on me, mainly because it takes so many chances, and I was really impressed with it. You can just tell that throughout the making of this project they didn't give even a quarter of an ounce of a crap what their more closed-minded fans would think about such a radical change in style, which is always something I respect in an artist. Even though they might've put a guitar in here & there on their past stuff, here a good majority of the instrumentation is live. Included here are funky disco songs, beautiful piano ballads & weird progressive electro-jazz-rock-fusion... things. And the best part is that it wasn't just a case of throwing everything on the wall & seeing what sticks, but rather you can tell how much work was put into each track, and nearly every song has some earworm hook to draw you into the madness.

Another aspect of this experimentation is the numerous collaborators & guest musicians featured here. Of course everyone already knows the song of the summer “Get Lucky” with Pharrell & Nile Rodgers, and to a lesser extent “Lose Yourself to Dance” with the same genre & lineup. But other notable people here include Giorgio Moroder doing an interesting storytelling monologue over the fantastic string/synth-tinged prog-rock instrumental “Giorgio by Moroder”, Todd Edwards on the charming good-time soft rock tune “Fragments of Time” (which I'm catching a bit of Steely Dan influence from), Panda Bear on “Doin' It Right”, a smooth dance track that he fits on a lot better than I was expecting, and my personal favorite Julian Casablancas of The Strokes on “Instant Crush”, which between the infectious poppy hooks, sincere & believable lyrics, and great pseudo-funk groove, basically encapsulates everything I love about this album.

The trademark vocoders fit well with their general musical style & really works in creating a lot of these earworm hooks that repeat over & over throughout a track, but in a way that doesn't get grating & almost feels like just another instrument. However, on the more emotional tracks that use it like “The Game of Love” or “Within”, they serve a different purpose, using the presumably emotionless android personas to, in a way, emphasize the emotional impact of the lyrics. It sounds a bit goofy on paper but ends up working really well, especially for a track like “The Game of Love” that might otherwise come off cliché & phoned-in. And the album ends on an extremely climactic note with “Contact”, an expertly constructed electronic instrumental that builds & builds over with more & more melodies & an increasingly intense noise in the foreground until it explodes & dies down in the last minute. As for complaints, they aren't exactly long enough to have their own paragraph, but there's a couple. For example “Touch” with Paul Williams is for the most part a great 8-minute epic that transitions from electro to jazz fusion throughout, with a well-executed & vulnerable vocal part from Williams. The problem is the laughable, corny & vocoder-infested 2-minute intro that sounds like they sampled it from a bad 70's sci-fi flick. Also there's a couple underwhelming guestless tracks in the middle of the album “Beyond” & “Motherboard” that really do nothing but slow down the momentum & push RAM past the 70-minute mark, which definitely didn't need to happen. And same goes for the bonus track “Horizon”.

So did RAM live up to the hype? Not entirely. It's not some musical revolution that'll change the way we all think about art & life itself for eons to come like some people were making it out to be. But that doesn't mean it's not worth listening to. In fact I'd very highly recommend it to anyone who has eclectic tastes & loves experimentation in multiple genres as well as just a great earworm hook with a feel-good groove to it. And these days, with popular dance music being a bit more robotic & lifeless, the mainstream needs an album like this to, well, give life back to music. Ironic considering this is an album by a couple of robots.

Top 5 tracks: Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Contact, Doin' It Right, Give Life Back to Music
    Score: 85/100
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    This is an overrated mess of an album. Too random and no access, this will not make any good memories. "Get Lucky' is the only highlight on this stain of a record.
  6. May 21, 2013
    With this album, the highs are extremely high and the lows are quite low. Tracks like "Instant Crush" are far too poppy for my liking, but then tracks like "Give Life Back to Music" and "Within" are exquisite. Too hit-and-miss as an overall project, unfortunately.
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    [9.0] It definitely isn't their most energetic music, but it's possibly their best album. Daft Punk somehow manages to make music from multiple decades in the past, yet still original, and still Daft Punk. This album represents the best of pop music.
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    Random Access Memories seems to look back on all the artists previous work, and mash it all together, whilst also adding in something far more creative and innovative. Access Memories is indeed a long album, but each and every single track on this album shines out and pulls you straight into the disco-techy void that this touching, exciting, steaming with adventure album in fact is. There won't be another dance album like this for a while, no doubt. Expand
  9. May 21, 2013
    After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy. I must say that Daft Punk may have lost some of their electronic side in the transition period, but those are minor details. It seems as if comparing Human After All with Random Access Memories is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruits, but they're nothing alike.

Even from the beginning, Daft Punk make their message clear. They are trying to "Give Life Back To Music". They, unlike all pop music today, have emotion. They have rhythm and soul. So, maybe these cold, metallic robots do have hearts after all. They seem to show love and want to spread it with their music. The feel good tracks such as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" get their audience into a hypnotic state of being, mesmerized by the entrancing beats. One song in particular caught my attention. The track "The Game of Love" is a heart-wrenching masterpiece with a similar feel to "Something About Us" from Discovery. This lyrics, despite being distorted by a robotic voice, express a deep lamentation and exclamation of love.

The first half of the album is flawless. The songs are smooth and errorless. When you slowly transition into the second half, it seems as though the songs become more ambient. They would be perfect if they were played in the background of a party, but not as frontline tracks. I'm not saying that they are bad tracks, but they lack the emotion and funkiness that is set-up in the first half. However, I am slightly disappointed with "Doin' It Right". This track features the genius vocalist/drummer Noah Lennox (or better known as Panda Bear). He is a member of one of my favourite bands, Animal Collective, and has made a splash in the electronic spectrum. I figured that the rhythm behind Animal Collective would create a heavenly collaboration with two electronic gods. I was sadly mistaken when I heard the lack-lustre track. It's not all bad, but I really expected something with a little more "oomph".

Despite a few minor setbacks, Daft Punk have created one of the most enjoyable albums this year and continue to surprise us with new tricks up their sleeves.
  10. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...and they do so. This album may not be as good as Discovery, but it is a fine return of the beloved french duo and I hope they continue to do more creative music in the future. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    Random Access Memories can easily be described as Daft Punk's finest material to date and one of the most memorable moments of 2013. The lead single, "Get Lucky", was a summer smash and could be considered a contender for being one of the finest pop songs of the 2010s thus far. Although its 70s disco and funk throwbacks might not charm all audiences, it's certainly a welcoming album to anyone even remotely interested in escaping the electro craze that's done nothing but dominate the top 40 in recent years. The vocoders have since become their signature sound, but are more than welcoming in the opening four tracks "Give Life Back to Music", "The Game of Love", and the 'robo-gloom' ballad "Within", which both alienate younger audiences whilst still remaining the listeners in their comfort zone. "Giorgio by Moroder" magnificently narrates listeners through the process of becoming a musician whilst "Instant Crush", featuring The Strokes' lead singer Julian Casablancas, somehow manages to channel the same melody found in the Christmas classic "Last Christmas" and could easily make it into the soundtracks of the duo's punk fans. "Doin' It Right" channels late-70s synthpop and sends euphoric chills into listeners through its mesmerizing use of the vocoder and Panda Bear's effortless vocals. Overall, the album may be overhyped in the media and some may not fall for its worldwide charm, but RAM honestly earns all the hype its given and has the charm to make its way into about every listener's iTunes. The hiatus may have seemingly lasted forever, but it was damn sure worth the wait. Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2013
    I'm usually not in to the roboty techno stuff, but this was pretty okay. Daft Punk on my terms was pretty trash up until this album. One of my least favorite songs is Around the World, but then again Lose Yourself to Dance is now one of my favorites. This album has a strange old school vibe to it that most people in there right minds would enjoy. And this album was really a "happy" release and a good one to keep my hopes in today's music to a maximum. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    OMG how I tried to like this album, although, after at least ten listens, I am afraid that I can only give it a 5. I LOVE "Get Lucky" an I so appreciate a band making a daring, successful attempt at a disco beat in this day and age, and because of that, I wanted to try to like them, since I feel they are so courageous. However, the rest of the album's electronic, robotic, and generally lackluster and incoherent feel left me disappointed. Expand
  14. May 21, 2013
    When I first listened to Random Access Memories, I had a blast. Sure, there were a few tracks I didn't like, but I enjoyed a damn good portion of it, and after spinning it a few times, I realized that I didn't care about it anymore. Daft Punk's homage to 70's disco, jazz fusion and soft rock is an interesting direction to choose, but it's only meant to be loved once.
  15. May 22, 2013
    Finally, Daft Punk has made him do. It was impossible to have even more excitement to hear his new material after so long in silence.
    It is impossible for any human being on this planet does not know that his new album, Random Access Memories. In this music are more organic personality, something that computers do not give them. The bases of disco can be repeated again and again, as in
    Get Lucky, as if they were samples. The funny thing is that it is the most anticipated album of recent times but is full of songs that you would expect to hear anything from the discography of Daft Punk. Each song has its own personality that resembles the previous or the next. The album will surprise you from the beginning, but once you get listening to it, does get you, maybe they disagree with me, but I do notice a big difference in your sound and now that his previous work. Metamúsica is a tribute to the music of the 70s and early 80s. We discovered other Daft Punk, not what we expected, we knew not, but equally amazing and transgressors. I know I said the album Bring Me The Horizon, "Sempiternal" was the album of the year, but Daft Punk achievement far surpass that album.
    so for now, this is the album of the year.
  16. Oct 11, 2013
    Get Lucky was one of the most surprising hit singles I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. For a song by an act who'd only ever had one big hit and one reasonable hit in the 19 years they'd been making music, to achieve the success that they did with this track (which included #1's in regions that they'd never succeeded in before) was something of a miracle. To achieve that level of success, it had to be a generic track that embodied all the current trends, right? No, it was a throwback to the 70's disco movement, the complete opposite to what the public wanted, yet for some reason, it took off and I knew it was pointless making predictions about what was going to be popular anymore. Due to the single's success, there was significant hype around this album, which puzzled me as while Daft Punk haven't released many albums, I had never been aware of this demand for them and certainly not when they were releasing 70's disco jams. After the album's release, there was considerable confusion among fans as to what the duo were thinking and genuine surprise among critics as to what made them decide to do something so avant garde. And I understand why: RAM is an album full of bizarre choices and is the opposite to what mainstream DJs are doing right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of modern dance music, but that doesn't mean I'd rather it became so low key to the point where it's undanceable. Ironically, the only kind of music that has never made me feel like dancing is disco music. It's so bland and soul-less to me and I have relatives who lived through the 70's who can testify to this. So, to listen to an album that consisted of this theme for 78 minutes was quite frankly, torture. If it's not throwing boring disco music full of repetition at you, it's making you stomach the rambling nonsense that is Giorgio by Moroder for 9 minutes. I have heard people say that this album is really cutting edge and revolutionary. What is cutting edge and revolutionary about singing banal lyrics like "We're up all night to get lucky" and "If we're doing it right, everybody will be dancing"? That's the sort of lyrics amateur songwriters can come up with in 5 minutes. The only rays of hope are, in an unusual theme, all the tracks composed of one word: Within, Touch, Beyond, Motherboard, Contact, and bonus track, Horizon. Here you will find relaxing, euphoric tunes that make me see, just for a moment, what the fans of this album saw. But the rest of it sounds like it's from a completely different album.
    What has really disappointed me more than the album's potential buried under a pile of stinkers, is the reaction from those who praised it. Predicatably, an album that splits public opinion like this will have those who have a sense of superiority regarding anyone who didn't like it to be uncultured, musically ignorant, you name it. If you're below the age of 30 and don't have a degree in music, your opinion isn't valid, apparently. Well, while I might still be discovering all the intricacies of music at my age and am not a professional music critic or expert, I do listen to lots of albums a year and open my mind to all music, which is a lot more than some of those with a superiority complex do. I also have a fascination with sound and am part of the ASMR community (look it up). As such, I understand that we all have different musical tastes for a reason and no one's taste is better than others. I would advise anyone listening to this album to not be taken in by music snobs who will praise anything just because it's "different" and listen to it with your opinion solely in mind.
  17. May 21, 2013
    The hype this album had did not disappoint me. It was totally worth the wait. With epic pop songs like "Get Lucky" and "Instant Crush", this perfectly crafted masterpiece takes you to beautiful deep moments with "Within" and makes you want to shake your body with "Lose Yourself to Dance". "Give Life Back to Music" works as the perfect opener for this album and "Contact"... Guess what? The perfect ending. A huge epic ending.
    "Giorgio by Moroder" is a smart lengthy track that takes you into a trip inside Giorgio's musical life and, along with "Touch", is diverse and full of changes. "Fragments of Time" completes the album with its wonderful smooth ballad that leads us to "Doin' It Right", an excellent contribution with Panda Bear. This is one of those rare masterpieces that deserve the highest score possible. All the contributions here are magical: Pharrell Williams (tracks 6 and 8), Julian Casablancas (track 5) and Chilly Gonzales (track 4), just to name a few.
    Right away, from the first listen, you can tell that lots of time, dedication and love for music were put into this record. And the result... Well. let the numbers speak for itself.
  18. Sep 1, 2013
    Back in the '90s Dance music was a big genre thanks two robots in suits named Daft Punk, With their album "Homework" and several Eps that they released. Once the 2000's hit their single "One More Time" became their biggest hit to date, it also helped thanks to Anime inspired music videos for their album "Discovery" and throughout the rest of those twelve years they performed at several concerts and were responsible for the soundtrack to "Tron Legacy" but not much has progressed for their career. Now it's 2013 and Daft Punk releases their long awaited new album "Random Access Memories" which is being called "The Best album of the year" and that quote my friends is from me. This album defines the words "Good Music" but instead of good it's Masterful, it's so different, so special, and is something that will bring Daft Punk to the top of the charts. First off "Random Access Memories" has it's own story to tell, as it's about the Love for Music going back to what music was really about, it may feel dated for the short minded, but for people who love the art of music, it's extremely rewarding listening to these tracks. The opening track "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the best openings for an album this year next to Justin Timberlake's "Pusher Love Girl" for his album "The 20/20 Experience" and the album continues on with "The Game of Love" and more tracks that all tell an amazing story about music. One of the best songs on here is "Giorgio by Moroder" which is a mix of commentary and just simple strings and a synthesizer and it's such an beautiful song. A lot of the sounds here are very '70s Disco like and is different from today's Electronic music which was inspired by earlier songs by Daft Punk, it's great to see Punk's music changing by not being like every song out there, while still staying fun to listen to. Guest appearances include Pharrell, Panda Bear, and Paul Williams and although it's not earth shatteringly amazing, it's still fine appearances and it provides more depth to the songs they appear on. The album is thirteen song long, but it never becomes boring for all the 74 minutes it delivers. Overall, there's not much else I can say about "Random Access Memories" but that it's one of the most heartfelt pieces of work I've seen in sometime, and is worth listening for anyone who just loves music in general. Expand
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    Looking back at Daft Punk's discography, there music has varied greatly from Homework to Human After All but the main similarity was that they were all electronic albums. On R.A.M, the duo who have been at the front of French House, have taken a risk; they have used live instruments to blend a mix of the 70's and the 80's, they have captured that cross over period, and they blend the two era's seamlessly.

The first song is called "Give Life Back to Music", just by looking at its name you can see that Daft Punk are trying to resuscitate Music itself, despite the continuing Robot themes on the album. It's a solid start to the album and it gives you a real feel of what is to come. It's well produced and recorded, it's Daft Punk showing all their mastery.

"The Game of Love" is one of the songs off the album that are quieter, but Daft Punk have done quiet before, look at "Make Love" and "Night Vision", they can do it well, and they do. With the vocoder vocals that are present on various tracks around the album, you get that Daft Punk feel, but even without the electronic drum kits, you know you are getting a Daft Punk album.

"Giorgio by Moroder", a track that has Giorgio Moroder narrating his life style, and you listen in interest to hear this guy's life story, the man responsible for songs like, "Call Me" "Take My Breath Away" and "I Feel Love". Daft Punk have made a nine minute song dedicated to him; their inspiration. It's one of the highlights on the album. With a spiralling Space Disco synth pattern and a Jazz break in the middle to go back into the synths and then escalate into this epic finale with drums and strings, everything is happening in this song and it never feels crowded.

"Within" is another slow track but it is so beautiful. A love song in essence, it gives the album emotion, and Guy-Manuel says that the album has more soul then the technical Human After All. It's not just a beautiful song, but it's one of the first really catchy songs, I feel this goes well with "The Game of Love" and it just feels so smooth, as do all the songs.

"Instant Crush" featuring Julian Casablancas feels robotic, but I like that. I like that in this song because, whilst you can say it feels detached, it's welcome, it's not out of place because it keep the album moving at a good pace, not to say it's a filler because it isn't. The song is good in its own right, I just feel it doesn't hold up to the songs that came before, and that's the album's flaw. Some songs are just so good, the album can't keep it up for it's long length of well over an hour.

"Lose Yourself to Dance" follows and I can't just feel disappointed with this song. It's definitely one of the weaker ones on the album because of Pharell's singing. His voice, in the higher regions doesn't sit comfortably, whereas he does a better job on "Get Lucky" which is a song that has mid-range vocals, and I think he does that well. Overall the song, apart from the vocoder parts which I like, the song, just feels there. It's just there and I can't place it properly, it feels too much like a combination of other songs on the album, I'm sure people like it, the song just doesn't want to make me dance so to speak,

"Touch" is another epic song on the album, a sound that Daft Punk have really done well on this album, creating long Progressive Rock type songs on an album with so much Funk and Disco elements and I'm glad to see this. The song starts with a very futuristic sound, a sound which is almost the semantic field of the album, but Daft Punk, taking that Moroder influence, can be said to have always had that futuristic feel to them.

And then we have "Get Lucky". In comparison to the rest of the album, whilst having and insanely catchy hook and chorus, is actually one the weaker songs on the album. I feel it get's a bit repetitive over six minuets, yet I prefer it to the Radio Edit because there is more to it, so maybe they could have gone halfway between the song mixes.

"Beyond" is enjoyable but just sits there, I still think it deserves to be on the album though, as well as "Motherboard" which is completely instrumental and takes you back to Discovery. Whilst it feels slightly disjointed I still think it flows well, although, whilst I do love the song, I wish that the track has electronic drums on it because I just feel that it would have given the song more substance because they actually seem a bit weak to me on this song.

"Fragments of Time" is by far the weakest song. I just don't like it too much, it feels too cheesy, too much. Now, "Doin' it Right" took me some time to like. At first I thought R.A.M fell apart at the end, but it doesn't. "Doin' it Right" featuring Panda Bear on vocals is so catchy. The vocals don't deter from the song but they add to the song, they make it even better. It works really well together and Daft Punk have just added another strong song to the collection. I also feel that the song is, dynamically, far from the 70's veering more towards the 80's and electronic music from era's after, and I think that might be because of Panda Bear's vocals. I even get slight Homework vibes, it's great.

And then, we reach "Contact". This, is how you close an album. It's just so good. It's a six minute crescendo. It just builds and builds and it screeches and the drums are rolling and it's electronic chaos. I can really see this to become a closer for future live sets.

Overall, Daft Punk have taken a risk, and it worked. It may have it's flaws, it could do with being shorter, maybe ten, eleven songs instead of thirteen, but I'll make do with I've got because I love this album. I think this album will be listened to and appreciated even more by this generation for years to come, and then the next generation will discover it. I think our love will continue to grow for it, it has that potential because they haven't done anything revolutionary. What Daft Punk have done, is an homage to music of old, and they have done it masterly, but they have still kept it current.
  20. Sep 18, 2013
    Daft Punk's greatest effort to date. Yes, you heard me correctly-- it's better than both Discovery and Alive 2007. It isn't even really close, either.
  21. Jun 1, 2013
    ‘Get Lucky’ the first single and perfect earworm from ‘Random Access Memories’ grabbed me instantly and wouldn’t let go, I championed it to everyone I knew advising them to ‘get on board as it will get you in the end anyway’. I couldn’t wait for the album and then I heard it. The first time I listened to the record was when it streamed on ITunes I had high expectations and was thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed. The second time I was walking home at night in the rain and still reeling from the fact it didn’t contain 13 songs anything like ‘Get Lucky’ I was yet again left thinking what the hell is this MOR Avant jazz rubbish. A few friends had already got the album and kept telling me to give it one more go but I was hesitant on wasting yet more time on something that I couldn’t see ever getting. And so the third listen was in the garden and in the sunshine, glass of wine in hand as background music until I realised I was actually being drawn to it, it was forcing its way into the foreground, I was hearing things I’d clearly missed before like strange time signatures and chord changes hidden in the songs in plain sight. How the hell had I missed all this the first few times? It suddenly dropped and I couldn’t believe how good it actually was, I had to keep listening over and over again. I’m still listening. ‘Give Life Back To Music’ with its robot voice and disco beat, ‘Giorgio by Moroder’ with its spoken word story before kicking in with its ferocious live drumming and strange sounds, the eighties feel of ‘Instant Crush’ with the Strokes Julian Casablancas on vocals, the Television sitcom theme style of ‘Fragments of Time’, the closer ‘Contact’ which builds to a glorious crescendo there is so much here to love. Daft Punk have somehow taken influence from every decade in pop and made it into something new, as Alexis Petridis said you think the songs sound like something else until you go to your record collection to try and find it and cant. Now all of the songs are in my head fighting to be the one I catch myself humming or singing and at any point I’m never sure which one will win out. I’m so glad I stuck this this record and eventually succumbed to its power because if I hadn’t I wouldn’t now be in love with its oddly perfect pop genius. Try it and if you don’t like it try it again, try a few times in the sunshine and eventually I’m sure when you have the moment where it clicks you will, like me, be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  22. Oct 15, 2013
    Daft Punk have released a solid album. A very long return that sadly does feel like it drags on a bit. However, the album does deliver songs that are instantly catchy and make you want to relisten to them plenty of times.
  23. Jun 19, 2013
    The french duo return after sitting back for seven years(not counting their score work for TRON: Legacy.) And they are back with a vengeance. With Random Access Memories, Daft Punk continues to show why they are the face of House music.
  24. Duu
    May 28, 2013
    This album sounds like a past-prime Daft Punk fading into the sunset. I think the album is competently done, although it sounds generally uninspired. RAM is nice lounge music and will be a shoe-in for some commercials. I can't be mad at Daft Punk because all good things must come to an end and when they were good, they were great, but this should be their last album.
  25. May 26, 2013
    I don't get the hype people...
    The 70s feel is nice and the beats are wonderful, but it lacks so much.
    It's like they wanted to just throw a bunch of sounds together to make some of the longs long (and not actually listen to someone who is good at making the longer songs; Rush & Zeppelin).
    It drags on, the singing is monotone on 50% of the album, and you hear the same thing over and
    over and over... That's not music IMO. Expand
  26. Jun 30, 2013
    The album is perfect in every way. Since the first time I've heard it, I was hooked. The disco electronic beats are amazing. At first, I was doubtful. I haven't thought Daft Punk would deliver such an amazing album. You should definitely listen to this.
  27. May 22, 2013
    One cannot expect anything stronger this year. To dance and to contemplate. A bombastic return of disco gods. Panda Bear and Moroder as cherries on top of a pie are tasteful. Yummy.
  28. May 28, 2013
    At first, I wasn't sure about this album, I thought it was a lil' bit borin' comparin' it to their previous efforts, which were made for dance clubs and ecstasy. But I just decided to give it a chance due to the amount of hype it's receiving from the music press around the world, and man, this is truly a GREAT piece of work and art. Just forget about their previous sound, and come to this album with new ears, and you'll find that they finally became "human after all", and showed us that EDM producers can be REAL talented and gifted musicians, using real instruments and real musicians working hard in a real professional studio. After 3 listens I was really diggin' it. Just give it a chance and it'll reward you, and it'll grow and grow on you. Ok, it's not an album made for nightclubs and ecstasy, but it's a nice one to listen to during a sunset in front of a beach, drinkin' some good coctails and a big joint before the big "party hard" thing comes later in the midnight. Expand
  29. May 26, 2013
    I give this a 7 because I like the album from a generic pop record standpoint. However, as a Daft Punk lover myself, I can't say I'm not disappointed. Some of the songs on here lack any kind of substance, musically or otherwise. Others are very well developed, in particular "Within" and "Instant Crush", which are very appreciated creations. Others, like "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "Get Lucky", are miserable songs that not only drag and lag, but also have little to no quality. A mixed bag of good and songs, but overall, as much as I wanted to give it a higher rating, and even if I don't give it a lower score, I'm sore at this. In all honestly, I hate this new Daft Punk approach, which is now Daft Disco. I want my old French House/Disco/Electronica back, because this doesn't cut it. I'm a fan, but I can only bear so much. Expand
  30. Jun 2, 2013
    One (if not) the most anticipated album release of the year, the duo awoken from their circuital slumber to once again shake the EDM scene. From "Give Life Back to Music" to "Contact", Guy-Man and Thomas dazzled our ears with the disco vibed LP. In their fourth album, many would question the LP stance as an electro music, but all (or most) would inclined that RAM is the best album of 2013 so far.
  31. Jul 6, 2013
    'Random Access Memories' lacks the magic the duo's previous albums all have; though it's consistent in sound and includes a few great moments, overall it's trying too hard to sound arty without any kind of substance, unfortunately. Give a listen to 'Give Life Back to Music', 'Instant Crush' and 'Get Lucky', and skip the rest if you want to save yourself a disappointment.
  32. Jul 21, 2013
    Daft Punk once again surprises us with a new disco themed album that represents the light at the end of the dark tunnel in the modern music industry. It's a hit or miss, but when it hits, it really hits.
  33. May 29, 2013
    On the whole I think it's quite a safe, generic sounding album. A load of catchy tunes more reminiscent of Black Eyed Peas recent stuff. Not bad by any means. Would be great to fall asleep to,or maybe have a party and go wild with some fizzy pop.
  34. May 31, 2013
    All that can be said of disco and funk music in daft punk is clearly in this album. full of innovative rhythms and giving new life to the music that we have lost in these last year, these guys came back with their best album in years. personally, I think is better than discovery although not as good as Homework but still it's such a classic album for new generations who want music with a 70s air.
  35. Jul 19, 2013
    Para mi Random Acces Memories es el mejor album de este año, con grandes canciones, una gran producción hacen que este album sea un deleite para nuestros oídos.
  36. May 24, 2013
    I do not think anyone was expecting what Daft Punk has delivered with Random Access Memories, and I say that as a positive thing. With R.A.M., Daft Punk has managed to give us a taste of the future while re-visiting (versus regurgitating) sounds from the past, from disco-funk of Chic to the space rock sounds of Steve Miller Band.

For starters, "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the
    best album openers I've heard in recent years; a perfectly-crafted thesis statement that gets the body moving. "Get Lucky", shines even more brightly here than as a single. It is perfectly-placed in the album, and the track's extended running time gives it more room to breathe; this song will remain a classic. "Doin' It Right" is another standout track; a down tempo pop jam that is given a melancholic edge with the boyish vocals of Panda Bear, and it is perfectly suited for long summer drives with the windows down. The instrumental track "Motherboard" is also wonderful; its wide-eyed beauty hits like a ray of light beamed from space.

But to say this album is a perfect 10 would be untrue. There are songs here that are definitely flawed, despite their meticulous production and admirable ambition. The song "Touch" begins strongly as a borderline-terrifying space rock tune with sounds that hearken back to the Cars track "Moving in Stereo". But "Touch" manages to morph into an awkward Broadway show tune; while it is not bad per-se, it is certainly all over the place, and it is difficult to get past Paul Williams' mismatched vocals. And while Todd Edwards being brought back for another collaboration was great, "Fragments of Time" is almost too cheesy to consume, and Edwards' singing abilities do not show here like they did in "Face to Face".

But despite R.A.M.'s flaws, it is still an excellent (and occasionally great) album. In an age where singles are purchased and entire albums are ignored, R.A.M. is a work that should be experienced from beginning to end, with the best headphones you can find.
  37. Apr 16, 2014
    Mesmo que esse disco não lembre em nada os seus antecessores, ''Random Acess Memories'' é um album que possui muito conteúdo. Com tracks mais comerciais como ''Get Lucky'' e ''Lose Yourself To Dance'', Daft Punk atinge o publico mais popular, mas ao mesmo tempo consegue chamar atenção do publico com gosto mais refinado com faixas que fazem referencia a musicas antigas. Tudo isso sem perder a magnitude do começo ao fim do disco e mostrando uma inovação da dupla francesa, rendendo ao album com o titulo de um dos melhores de 2013. Expand
  38. Jul 26, 2013
    I have to applaud Daft Punk for doing something a little different than their previous albums. Random Access Memories is not necessarily one of my favorites from them, but it's solid. Get Lucky is a killer track. However, I was not crazy about Giorgio by Moroder. It's a bit long. And after a while I found myself skipping it to go on to the next track.
  39. May 31, 2013
    Daft Punk uses their past to create the future, something that alot of musical formations seem to not even dream about in their naughtiest of dreams. The hype has been working in their favor as well, but that's not the discussion here. The album sounds like Daft Punk has never gone away. Another thing that it let me see, however harsh this may sound, Justice was merely a fill-up for the return of Daft Punk. If you dare admit, the first time you heard Justice, you thought it was the new Daft Punk.

Filled with gorgeous landscapes (Giorgo by Moroder), Within which serves as a stretched intro to Instant Crush (containing lush digitalized guitar sounds that Julian Casablancas ironically wished to see the daylight on his own band's Angles) and the instant Summer hit Lose Yourself to Dance (it makes you shake your hips AND clap your hands) this album is pretty much layed out. The rest of the songs resonate these feelings and wrap up the album pretty good. The ending track, Contact, felt like an epic veil falling over the stage. Like you go see an opera, they have one last song that takes up everything and just lifts the piece to this whole other level so you are left with this feeling of amazement, curious for the next adventure.

With this album almost clocking in at 73 minutes (only 10 seconds longer than Homework), this is their longest album released to day. Unlike previous albums, I'm surprised by the amount of strong and interesting songs on this album, which undoubtedly due to all the collaborators they've had on RAM. I only got bored/skipped at one or two songs and even then I sorta felt bad because they felt like part of the experience.

If Music gives you Life, give Life back to Music.
  40. Jun 7, 2014
    Nile Rogers and Pharrel Williams collaboration featuring Daft Punk. There is little here of what made Daft Punk great. The boundary pushing, the experimentation, the beats and the bleeps are sacrificed to be replaced by the soft disco funk that lived and died after a brief albeit enjoyable existence in the late 70's. Gone are the excellent yet unknown vocalists of Discovery to make room for big names, as if Daft Punk need to resort to adding featuring 'flavor of the month' artist to every other song. Nothing will date the albums of recent years more than the soon to be forgotten guest vocalists that must be added to the track name, seems that being hidden in the sleeve notes isn't good enough anymore. The exception is Julian Cassablancas on Instant Crush, one of the best songs on show and he is not afraid to have his vocal digitized till near unrecognizable. By removing all the Pharrell songs from your mp3 player you can have a much more enjoyable experience;you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd bought a new Nile Rogers album though. Expand
  41. Dec 12, 2013
    Daft Punk managed to incorporate powerful emotion, playfulness, and melodic funk in what is arguably one of the best releases of 2013, hearkening back to the 'sounds of the 60s and 70s'.

EDIT: I originally gave this album a 5/10. I realized I didn't give it the fair listen it deserved.
  42. Sep 26, 2013
    This is simply just pathetic. Whats worse are you ignorant, pandering sheep who claim to like it. Give it a rest people. This is pure horsesh*t...........................................................................................................................
  43. May 15, 2014
    Daft Punk have continued to provide us with mellow beats and good songs. This is an album that I could lose myself in whether on my way home or anywhere else. Thumbs up!
  44. Jul 2, 2013
    This is just an excellent example of how music and conceptual albums should be done. And that is exactly why the release started with Give Life Back to Music.
  45. Jul 21, 2013
    Elevator muzak for cubicle dwellers, RAM mashes the sounds of a half-remembered past into golden, sticky goo that sounds good coming out of your laptop speakers. But check the list of ingredients and it says only this: corn syrup, food coloring, artificial flavors.
  46. Jul 24, 2013
    It's more than overrated, it has its moments but most of the time it just sounds like something Pharrel Williams could do by himself (and in that case I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a hype for the album like this), at some points I could hear Justice instead of Daft Punk.
  47. Jun 9, 2013
    I liked it but it doesn't seem to me like the old good favorite daft punk. It's good, but not good enough after so many years of disappearance. The music is good listen to it) and I hope they make an album similar to the old ones.
  48. Jun 12, 2013
    Some of the tracks sound like covers of tunes by the New Zealand comedy duo, Flight of the Conchords (especially Get Lucky it's a spoofed spoof! (trademark is mine ;o). And as much as I enjoy the Conchords I don't need a Daft Punk version.... There are a few tracks I enjoy (Contact, Motherboard, Within, Giorgio by Moroder, The Game of Love) but far too much of the album reminds me of the disco I hated when it was fresh! Where is LCD Soundsystem when you really need 'em..... Expand
  49. May 21, 2013
    Not the album you would expect, but that's part of what makes it great. It covers new ground and catches you unsuspecting for a sucker punch of the old mixed the new. If you're coming into this strictly wanting the electronic music you've come to love from Daft Punk, you're not going to have a good time, but if you're open to new possibilities you're going to love what you hear.

On a
    side note, some people complain about the beginning to Giorgio by Moroder because there is a considerable bit of talking, but this is just part of the groove. It's not an interview as much as another instrument to add atmosphere.

The 10 I gave this album is not hyperbole. It is quite simply at a level of excellence that truly deserves a perfect score.
  50. May 21, 2013
    This album is every bit new and different and yet uniquely and 100% Daft Punk.

A first play through introduces you to a whole new sound. A second play through will get you into the groove. By the third play through you're picking up the details, flourishes and Daft Punkisms that have informed every single album they've made to date. It's dance, it's progressive, it's electronic, it's
    disco, it's brilliant.

Don't miss this album.
  51. May 31, 2013
    This review is false, so I give only 70 to balance the scales, is an exaggeration, over 80!
    the music business annoys me, the magazines deceive people can do whatever they want with an album, and metacitic do this, choose the most appropriate magazines to give them most covem score. If they want to lower the value of an album, just go pick up some magazines which gave a low review, and
    avoid the magazines that give good quote, this is and I do not go there.
    A good exempo are QOTSA, choose magazines that give a very low value and avoid putting magazines that give good quote.
      More Light-Primal Scream is a good example, revisions of the latter album are very evident, where are the magazines or websites that give more than 80%. They do not exist? Does Allmusic.com there for example? But the magazines that give reviews below 70, there are already!
  52. Jan 18, 2014
    [REUPLOAD]
    Daft Punk's first album in years doesn't disappoint its fans one little bit. People were skeptical that they couldn't recreate the revolution they sparked back in the 90s, but they surely did. I have to admit I don't adore every song on this album, but I love most them. My favorites include, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Fragments of Time. They have amazing artists
    featured in the songs of this album, they add the perfect touch to these already spectacular songs, such as Pharrell Williams, Todd Edwards, and Julian Casablancas. This isn't my favorite Daft Punk album, but it already is and will most likely stay my favorite album of 2013. Expand
  53. May 22, 2013
    Daft Punk's most intelligent and deepest album to date, absolutely phenomenal. The scale of song's such as 'Touch', 'Giorgio by Moroder' and 'Contact' prove that Daft Punk are STILL ahead of the curve. Personal favourites are, 'Give Life back to Music', 'Touch', 'Instant Crush', 'Get Lucky', 'Doin' it Right' and of course the epic 'Giorgio By Moroder'.
  54. May 23, 2013
    I am happy to say that this album is pure gold, as if king Midas himself touched Daft Punk's synthesizers. This is an album, aimed at an audience with more developed tastes, and not for those expecting "Around the World" #2 or "One more time" one more time. They did really stand out as the geniuses they are. The day Daft Punk splits up is the day music dies, but until then, im hoping they do release many albums after this. Expand
  55. May 22, 2013
    I am quite the Daft Punk fan so I ran out and bought this soon after getting it. However, this is not your usual Daft Punk album. It has a much more jazzy feel, which I didn't expect. Sure the robot sound comes out at times, however this is definitely a highly jazz-influenced album. Whilst I like this new direction I miss the old Daft Punk, and ultimately the tracks blur into each other a bit too much for my liking. Ultimately, a new and interesting direction on paper, but Memories is rather unmemorable. Expand
  56. Aug 2, 2013
    I'm a HUGE Daft Punk fan and finally the new album is out, and it's amazing. But it's not perfect, and here is why. There are 3 kind of Daft Punk songs on the album: commercial 'singles' (Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, Give Life Back to Music & Fragments of Time), mellow 'slow' songs (Game of Love, Within, Beyond & Horizon) and general Daft Punk songs (the remaining 6 songs). Naturally most people like the commercial songs the most whereas die-hard fans want that electronic Daft-sound.

There is something for everyone on this album and you can't ignore the fact that it's an amazing achievement to make an 'electronic' album with hundreds of live intstruments. You can hear the quality of this 5 year in the making album. A bit less 'mellow' and 'commercial' songs and more pure Daft sound and it would be a 10/10 from me. Discovery has the perfect balance and still is their best album.
  57. May 21, 2013
    Absolutely amazing and compelling album which takes you back—to the future. It compeleld me in each song, and when I wasn't listening to it I was still inevitably dancing. AMAZING album.
  58. May 22, 2013
    Random is the correct word. The marketing deserves a 10, but unfortunately not the album which is a bit all over the place. "Beyond" seems to be built on a Michael McDonald baseline, "Fragments of Time" sounds more like Hall and Oates then Daft Punk, and "Touch" sounds like a 90s Disney musical number.
    I think there are going to be a lot of people saying this album is great because they
    want it to be great, and have been told for weeks now that it's great but listen to it, and decide for yourself. Expand
  59. May 27, 2013
    Random Access Memories is Daft Punk;s fourth studio album and this time the electric dance duo tries something quite different then anything they have ever released. After dropping the perfect single Get Lucky" fans went wild within minutes the whole world knew about this new album and everyone and their mothers were anticipating it. Finally the album dropped for the whole world to listen and like millions of others i decided to give it a listen and i have got to say i love it and would really like to see Daft Punk take this new sound a grow on it. This album is super fun to listen to and is full of new sounds and new genre experimentation from genres like Jazz, Soul, Funk, and more, However it may sound different but it;s still Daft Punk and that;s why so many people love it. The opening rack Give Life Back to Music" is the best way to begin this album. It just makes you think and it makes you want to give your life to music. i also loved "Giorgio by Moroder" which has a an awesome beginning it really keeps you listening when the music slowly builds to the end of the speech and then it kicks and thats when i really start to enjoy this track. Another favorite track of mine is "Doin' it Right" probably my favorite track on this record it;s just so catchy and has a super cool beat with beautiful vocals. The song "Contact" is a incredible way to end the record and makes you wish more tracks were like it on this record. If this album had more songs like "Get Lucky" and Doin' it Right" and less of tracks like "Game of Love" and "Within" this album would've been perfect. Overall this album is amazing and a highlight of 2013. i give it a solid 9 out of 10 Expand
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    I've always loved Daft Punk since their Homework album. When Random Access Memories came out, I rushed to the store to pick up the CD. I can say that I enjoyed the album. To truly experience this album you must put the CD in your stereo and just let the whole thing play out. Some songs I came across I did not like as much as others, but it's songs like "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder", "Fragments of Time", and many more that pull this album together. Expand
  61. Jun 18, 2013
    Very solid album by Daft Punk. Still great after 5-7 listens, but unfortunately after those 5-7 listens the album gets pretty boring. A good album is the type that gets better after you listen to it more and more, not saying this album is bad in any way, but RAM lacks in playback value.
  62. Jun 20, 2013
    I wouldn't say this album is a masterpiece, but I do say it is remarkable. I like to think about it as the extension of some of their 'less popular' songs like "Veridis Quo". It doesn't mean that Daft Punk gave up their willingness to make people dance as they used to do, this time they wanted to make people think about their emotional B-side.
  63. Jul 24, 2013
    In an age where the electronic music scene has become saturated with unoriginal and uninspired david-guetta-esque singles, 'Random Access Memories' is nothing short of genius. This LP signals the french ("electronic"?) duo's triumphant return to commercial releases, as well as their descent into the all but forgotten sounds of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Although many feel as though Thomas and Guy-Man's abandoning of their traditional heavily-sampled house music sound is a let-down, 'Random Access Memories' is actually quite a welcome breath of fresh air. Every track on this album feels meticulously arranged and crafted, with nothing left to unoriginality. In a creative blend of new and old, Daft Punk was able to create a record that is truly timeless. Despite the clear prog, disco, and funk influences on this LP, the duo was still able to create an album that is definitively Daft Punk. With their signature synthesizers and vocoders, practically every track has an electronic flair of some kind, and none of it feels forced.

Despite giving RAM a 10/10, one does have to admit that some of the longer tracks on the LP (see 'Giorgio by Moroder', 'Touch', and 'Lose Yourself to Dance') can become a bit tedious at times, the use of repetition and length can be attributed to the house-music mentality that Daft Punk employs throughout the album. However, except for this, there really isn't a reason that someone should not own this album. Although not a traditional Daft Punk fan, this album has quickly become one of my favorites of the year, and will for sure become a classic in due time.
  64. Jul 7, 2013
    This has to be Daft Punk's best overall composition as an album and the one I've enjoyed listening to the most (beating out my other favorites Discovery and the Tron Legacy Soundtrack). The best way to listen to this album is in it's entirety. You can listen to songs by apart from listening to the whole album but I think the album is meant to be listened to at once. I have had many listening parties of this album with friends and it never disappoints. Great album to listen to by the pool as well. It still sounds like Daft Punk but breathes new life into their electronic image and elevates their music at the same time. Expand
  65. Oct 18, 2013
    Best and most creative work of Daft Punk. Instead of focusing on making futuristic music, back to the past, the genres of disco and electronica that was surely gave the album the innovative touch. Random Access Memories is not only the best album of the French duo's career, but also becomes the best album of the year.
  66. May 26, 2013
    At first, Random Access Memories could feel as empty, but the more you listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes. It is a departure from their previous work, but this album is a triumph, and the very proof that no matter which path the duo takes, they know how to make it rock.
  67. Jul 3, 2013
    I have been listening to Daft Punk since the first record. Of enjoyed how their music has grown and changed. I was a little disappointed by this album because when you stack it up against their previous efforts it's...just a really big departure in a lot of ways. It's catchy, some of the songs have great hooks, and they're not afraid to dabble and experiment a little bit as well. However, if you play this album after one of their previous ones, it's almost like a different band at times. However, I hear say they may be doing a "Daft Punkier" mix of this album. Now that is something I would like to hear. In the end, I am glad that the album is not forgettable or terrible, it's merely a lot more pop orientated. I think that they will actually find they gain a lot of new listeners with this album that may not have cared for them as much in the past? Expand
  68. Jun 13, 2013
    Great album! Every song on this album is just amazing. I wasn't much of a daft punk fan before this album.
    But now I am! Brilliant Album!

Lose yourself to dance
  69. May 24, 2013
    I have no idea what to classify this album under. That's the cool thing about Daft Punk, they're always evolving and adapting. There's collaborations with old and young artists of all styles, and they way they blend with Daft Punk is simple astounding and unique. No two songs sound much alike, and most of them are fantastic. There are a few tracks that don't stand as tall as the others, but are solid songs in their own right. The track "Lose Yourself to Dance" alone made me buy, this album, and I've had the distinct pleasure of listening to it, in it's entirety and adding other songs like Instant Crush, Doin It Right, and others to that list. Expand
  70. Jun 4, 2013
    Draft is back! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first DP album to not have a movie with it since homework. Not as good as discovery, but not too shabby. This is the thing to me with them they have created many masterpieces, so that comes with the typical hype. I think what we have here is just a good chill record. Its hard to follow super massive success, and I feel like they just said it let's have fun, I support them and this album all the way. My top 3 probably give life back, Giorgio, and get lucky. Just chill and let it grow on you if you expect anything, you already expect to much. Good one guys you won't ever let us down! Now get in you're pyramid and tour!!! Haha Expand
  71. Jun 5, 2013
    The un-doubtful style of Daft Punk is clear in every song. Old times come back to mind and I must say Giorgio by Moroder is one of the finest pieces I've heard him in.
  72. May 21, 2013
    I knew this album would be brilliant. I knew the moment the 90-minute teaser was shown at Coachella. I knew the moment Pharrell appeared in an interview for the album and described the band as “gracious robots” whose purpose is to enhance the lives of those on “this oblong rock that we call home.” Despite the veritable blitzkrieg of marketing, ads, press, interviews, teasers and snippets, no one seemed to get sick of seeing the masked heads of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo plastered on walls all around the world.

Gone are the grinding drums and the grating bursts of synth. In their place are lush strings and astonishingly delicate live drumming. The robot voices have been softened to sound less alien, and more alienated. It’s all tied up by the hyperkinetic guitar work of Nile Rogers, the legend behind “We Are Family,” “Freak Out,” and “Let’s Dance.” This album is funky, groovy, soulful, and has a distinctive human touch. This isn’t music you do the robot to; the ‘robo-boogie’ Flight of the Conchords sing about in “The Humans Are Dead” is more appropriate.

The album’s opening track is “Give Life Back To Music,” a beautiful four minutes of muted guitars. From the outset, it’s clear that Daft Punk are using real musicians–instead of working from technology as they did before, they recruited some of the best session musicians in LA, New York, Paris and London to really bring their music to life. The song’s title is in keeping with Thomas Bangalter (the silver-masked robot)’s statement regarding the band’s shift away from computers: "In a computer, everything is recallable all the time, but life is a succession of events that only happen once,” he proclaimed. This song (and indeed, the rest of the album) has warmth and human fallibility that is conspicuously absent from standard electronic music.

The best songs on the album are the ones that most subvert our expectations of Daft Punk. “Giorgio by Moroder” is a freak-out of synths and drumming so intricate that it wouldn’t be out of place on a free jazz album. Flea-esque bass solos are thrown in for good measure, alongside some scratching that furthers the song’s ‘live’ feel. Passages of spoken word outlining the history of disco (during which the whole track slows down and adopts a hushed tone) are interspersed with this frenetic backing track. Mesmerising.

“Instant Crush” features Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, and sounds like what the Strokes’ latest album could’ve sounded like if the rest of the band didn’t hate the 70s so much. Casablancas is predictably mournful but his voice is pitch-shifted upwards and sounds as though it has been pieced back together slightly out of sequence, lending the song a jagged, disjointed sound that perfectly suits its mood.

The two tracks featuring Pharrell are brilliant. “Lose Yourself To Dance” has a beat that’ll see your toes tapping and shoulders jerking as you listen to it on the bus, and the ubiquitous “Get Lucky” is a perfect synthesis of every classic disco song ever made. It’s on these two songs that Nile Rogers’ pure funk shines through. “Doin’ It Right” featuring Panda Bear (from Animal Collective) is infectious: the song starts with the robots’ voices, slowly adding a tapping cymbal, followed by the snare and bass drums. It’s the only song that feels truly processed.

The main criticism of ‘Random Access Memories’ seems to be that Daft Punk has not made a Daft Punk album. Some hard-core fans long for the harsher electronica of the duo’s earlier work, and don’t really like the way we can actually sing along to these songs. There’s no denying that songs like “Da Funk,” “Around The World,” and “Harder Better Faster Stronger” were beautiful. They had a coarse, sparse, circular quality but in my opinion, grew tiresome after a few listens. “Random Access Memories” is a more conventional album of ‘normal’ songs. While it’s going to turn off some fans, it’s definitely going to allow the duo to win a new audience–an audience that I’m proudly part of. Plain and simple, Daft Punk have made a brilliant album. It is a piece of art that should be treasured, listened to repeatedly, remixed and covered by every bedroom virtuoso in the world.
  73. May 29, 2013
    A really nice blend of commercial hits and experimental club dance; the hits, such as 'Get Lucky' and 'Lose Yourself to Dance', allow the album to be popular in the mainstream, and the experimental material will hopefully open the minds of the mainstream to new and exciting sounds, which do not hit into the formula they are used to. However, some of the tracks, which are innovative and artistic, such as 'Giorgio by Moroder', I find difficult to listen to as they are somewhat too 'outside of the box', but that is just my own closed mindedness and I'm sure after listening to the album a couple more times, I will appreciate its creativity and innovation much more. Worth buying. Expand
  74. Jun 3, 2013
    This album has been a long time coming and Daft Punk doesn't disappoint. Like a tossed salad, all the sounds of the past 50 years are beautifully mixed throughout the entire album. Disco. Swing. 80s. Techno. R&B. You name the genre, it probably has it.

I don't know if I remember the last time each track in an album sounded so different from the others. I'd personally prefer a bit more
    electronic sounds, but overall, a great album. Expand
  75. Jul 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying the promotion of this album was first-class, awesome and it raised my expectations. I can't say the same about this album though. It starts off with an over-the-top guitar line, which gets you curious about what's ahead. What comes after it is a decent song. The second song (within)
    , and weakest point on the cd, is one that you probably want to skip. The
    pianoplaying of gonzales is good, but i just don't want to hear vocoder-vocals for a whole verse & chorus. The same thing counts for the songs the game of love and beyond. Get lucky is, ofcourse, a nice song. Lose yourself to dance gets boring after a whole though, and shows that pharrell isn't exactly the best singer. Fragments of time is okay, but not special.
    I'm not saying that the whole CD is worthless though. Giorgio by moroder is, although the talking part is a bit long, a masterpiece, just like contact. Touch and motherboard are just beautiful songs with great melodies, and i like the emotional vocals on touch. But overall, this album just isn't as good as what i expected.
  76. Aug 8, 2013
    I did expect the album to be good, especially taking into account all the hype. And I really, I mean REALLY, wanted this album to be good. (I have to admit I actually liked ‘Get Lucky’ when I first heard it, way before it started being played every 5 min by all the radio stations and started getting on your nerves).
    I remember I got RAM the day it was released, put it on my car’s stereo
    hoping for something extraordinary to happen and… Nothing happened. My reaction to the album is best described by ‘MEH’. I found it quite mediocre and most of the time incredibly bland. For two consecutive weeks I listened to this album in my car hoping that it would grow on me. It didn’t. Well, ‘Loose yourself to dance’ and ‘Contact’ sort of did, although I found that the latter resembled ‘Aerodynamic’ too much for me to really enjoy it.
    I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t be called a ‘music defining’ album if released by somebody else, but it’s cool to like Daft Punk and RAM in particular, so everybody does. Better go out and actually get lucky.
  77. Aug 21, 2013
    Daft Punk really is raising the bar with this LP. It has everything: pop classics, experimental odysseys, slow jams, deep tellings of introspection, and everything in between. The dynamic and emotional variety on this album is remarkable. It sounds nostalgic but feels forward-thinking. Thomas and Guy-Man made the perfect record they could have possibly made at this point in their career, especially considering the condition of electronic music and the whole "EDM" scene. 10/10 Expand
  78. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't why people now say that they miss the old daft punk.Sure Get Lucky was more of a mainstream type of pop music but I think the whole album together is just a a revision of their albums and to me it's an excellant dance music,electronica and with some songs like Touch and Within It just adds some soul to make a well rounded album and all the people givbing a score of 7 and below well they're just people who listen to Katy Perry and Justin bieber whole day ........well Prism is okay.......good perhaps. Expand
  79. Jul 2, 2014
    This album blew me away but I was wasn't expecting to hear this new wave of Daft Punk music. The new Daft Punk has now incorporated more radio friendly songs and excellent disco-tech that will keep you grooving into the wee hours of the night. Random Access Memories is an excellent album that surprised many loyal Daft Punk fans. Some will be turned off by the new style Daft Punk has incorporated but I for one am in awe by how groovy and slick this album actually turned out being. Expand
  80. May 21, 2013
    By no means a bad album. It's just one that settles for having little ambition. The album has a much different sound compared to any of Daft Punks earlier work, which depending on whether you like or disliked their past albums could be a good or bad thing. RAM is a solid album for what it is trying to be, which is a throwback album to the 70's-80's. Many of the songs sound as if they had been recorded in that era, which shows the respect the duo clearly have for the genre. Unfortunately, this is also a con. I found myself getting songs confused, as they sounded so similar to one another. And with this being a Daft Punk album, I was hoping for a fresh, almost revolutionary sound, similar with what they did to orchestrated soundtracks with Tron Legacy. But they didn't alter the sound they were trying to recreate, which was probably their choice. Song highlights of the album would probably be Doin' It Right and Get Lucky. So to recap, if you are a huge Daft Punk fan or enjoy what genre they went into with this album, you will love it. But for those expecting something revolutionary with a older fashioned Daft Punk sound, you will probably be disappointed, especially if you saw the incredibly high critic reviews, which I admit had me excited. Either way, a decent album by a great duo. Expand
  81. May 23, 2013
    This isn't what i expected. But in a good way. It hooked me in with it's nostalgic, yet modern feel. It's a look back, but very today. There are a couple slight misses, but as a whole, it is quite the sublime record. Looking for a hi-energy non stop all out dance record? This isn't it. Looking for a brilliant, retro-mod ride? Then pick this up.
  82. May 27, 2013
    Vanilla. Not a bad album by any means but RAM really lacks a lot of the little auditory surprises I enjoy so much in their older work, especially Discovery. I don't know if that's BECAUSE they purged out sampling in this album, or it just happens to be the case on an album that has next to no samples, but the whole thing feels disappointingly safe and pedestrian. I'm used to DP making clever little aural twists by mashing up 80s disco; this is... just 80s disco.

I can definitely see these tracks as being baseline material for some great remixes, but on their own I feel little urge to listen to them more than once.
  83. Jun 12, 2013
    always hard to separate the hype from the product, but especially so with a band like Daft Punk. this was not quite the 8/10, but I rounded up and I think that figure will hold over time. review sketch if you care here: here:http://simmserely.blogspot.com/2013/05/daft-punk-random-access-memories-review.html
  84. May 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a stratospheric record. And I highlight the word record, because that’s exactly what it is, and is also what few mainstream releases in 2013 especially in dance music can feasibly call themselves. It plays in a natural progression, constantly aware of its own momentum and taking every step necessary to keeping itself thriving. You’ve probably heard of its incredible roster of musicians Nile Rodgers, Panda Bear, Pharrell Williams, Julian Casablancas etc. who are all there to humanize Daft Punk’s highly polished, fantastically produced sound. Simply put, it’s nothing less than the Stankonia of EDM. The session musicians also help to expand DP’s horizons to regions of quality they’ve previously been unable to attain.

This isn’t a collection of 13 perfect tracks, but if it were, it wouldn’t have made a perfect 75 minutes. In putting RAM together, Daft Punk were clearly aware of how to balance the album’s strengths; otherwise, the power of songs like “Touch” and “Contact” would have been diminished. Having said that, there isn’t a bad song here, and every track equates to a quality level of at least ‘very good’.

It all really boils down to the opener “Give Life Back To Music”, which like all great opening tracks sets the tone and sums up the entire album, serving as Random Access Memories‘ mission statement with its titular declaration and its whirlwind of instruments. Daft Punk have set out to make an actual album of dance music that strides over the pitfalls opened up by Human After All and gives today’s sterile mainstream a shot of vitality. And it’s fair to say that they have. The album is a trip it navigates emotional highs and lows with astounding finesse, whereas their previous best, Discovery, started high, swooped down and then rose slightly at the end. And while there were more party-suitable tracks on the 2001 album than just “Get Lucky”, that clearly isn’t the point this time around.

The record is littered with enough subtly arresting moments to keep it alive and guarantee enjoyment on every spin, such as the Giorgio Moroder interview that comes on like a Spotify advert, the bowel-shifting drums that kick-start “Lose Yourself to Dance”, the cool-yet-ecstatic vocoder section in “Get Lucky” and the disarming minimalism of “Doin’ it Right”.

The sad thing is that the album’s ambition is the flag that crowns the Daft Punk mountain. It’s what their career has been building up to, and the success of Random Access Memories is going to be hard to match or outdo without the next album completely imploding on itself. RAM is a galactic fusion of genres and ethnicities, a seamless collage of the 70s and 80s and then the sounds of the future. It has flaws, but these flaws are just breathing spaces for the astonishing levels of excellence this album achieves. It’s an eternal record that defines the possibilities available to those who really push themselves in music. By listening to Random Access Memories, you’re witnessing the greatest moment of Daft Punk’s career.
  85. May 31, 2013
    This is the case of the hype much, deliver tush. This album may be different but it doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or amazing. In these days of generic pop tracks, everyone jumps at sounds by famous musicians which do not sound generic but are not necessarily good, and exaggerate their qualities. Don't get me wrong, the melodies are not bad or anything, they just aren't something people would 'lose themselves to dance' to. The tracks are too dull to be dance records and not bright enough to be pop. Too fast to be r&b/soul and too tame to be rock. This album just stands in-between and reaches for nothing. I honestly believe that Daft Punk of all people could have found some better ground to build an album after more than 8 years. I knew from the start that critics would hype and acclaim this album just because it is not your usual Rihanna or Pitbull album, but at the same time we gotta ask ourselves: Is different necessarily good? What makes RAM a good album? Is it because it does not sound the same as what's on the radio or because it actually gets you moving irresistibly just like 'One More Time' did? If the answer to the latter is 'no' then this album can be considered mediocre. Expand
  86. May 21, 2013
    An instant summer classic. This album didn't deserve the hype it deserved much more. Daft Punk has brought us back to the root of dance and electronic, showing us that even the most pure and organic sounds are able to synthesize into a masterpiece.

"I am deeply respectful of somebody who expresses their craft and their art, without the hunger, for the public attention. They (Daft
    Punk) disconnect who they are to allow you to experience what they create." Paul Williams Expand
  87. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic album if you were waiting for Daft Punk to release an Earth Wind and Fire album.

For those of you expecting more vocoder rock, this is a more tepid offering.

For those like me who were fans of their earlier, more aggressive electronic work, "Contact" is a true gem, and "Doin' It Right" is catchy pop, but the first 11 tracks are your father's R&B funk.
  88. Jun 17, 2013
    Going back to the fast to make musical progressions in the future! I think Daft Punk really struck gold with this record: It's replay value is off the charts, it's catchy as hell, and gives off an authentic throwback vibe. Every song Great.
  89. Jun 26, 2013
    As usual, the longer you make people wait the more enthusiasm you'll get just check this graphic http://www.ziemianiczyja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Good-To-Be-Back-Ziemianiczyja.pl_.jpg
  90. Oct 3, 2013
    This album brings back what music was founded on: art. This is, to date, Daft Punk's most personal album. The hard work put into this paid off. Daft Punk did something extremely difficult: Make an album not only can you dance to, but can be listened to solo in a darkened room. The progressive Pink-Floyd-like appeal of Contact, the Disco-Electronica Get Lucky, and the Dance MJ-like song Lose Yourself To Dance; This album will please most. Expand
  91. Oct 5, 2013
    Never listened to any other Daft Punk albums, but I like this entire album very much, and goes beyond the radio hit "Get Lucky" which is not even close to the best song on the album! I think touch is a great song. The vocoder voice can get old on some songs, but it works very well on others.

Many people here with bad ratings insist that this is not as good as previous work, or that they
    some how sold out. I disagree. You should take every album on it's on merit, and it should not be rated based on how you feel it should be, but based on how it effects you emotionally, and how you connect with it. If it didn't do it on a level as others, that's one thing, but your preconceptions should be immaterial to a rating. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    Random access memories is definitely hands down the best album of the year. Finally, some music that actually feels fresh. Daft punk's new album really gives you a sense of the 70s/80s EDM and a really funky vibe. I must admit it doesn't feel like the same Daft Punk from 10 or so years ago, but is great nonetheless. A solid 8/10.
  93. Jul 26, 2014
    Properly Putting One In The Mood To Dance, Random Access Memories Brings Daft Punk's Signature Noise To The Stage And With It A Possible Uprising In Dance Music.
  94. Feb 22, 2014
    A perfect album from robot electronic duo Daft Punk. Better than Discovery, has less repetition. Daft Punk worked together great musicians like Nile Rodgers from Chic, Panda Bear, Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, Giorgio Moroder. RAM makes us feel like we are in 70s.
  95. Mar 4, 2014
    I love the whole album. Our 2 robots associate perfectly many instruments to bring us the best tunes of the year 2013. I imagined that many tracks of this album will belong to the 25th future when the robots appear and gradually replace the human... Taste un cup of cafe while listening this album, so great
  96. Apr 3, 2014
    The album Random Access Memories by Daft Punk don't have anything to show for the eletronic music in the current days. Pharell Willians isn't the Great musician, but is just a new face in the American Music. So, we can't believe that this work is important because the stereotypes of the society created.
  97. Mar 31, 2014
    8 years since their last album (I would not count Tron), the robots finally get their groove back. Literally. From start to finish, Random Access Memories reminds us how great 70's music is to the modern listeners. There's a homage to Giorgio Moroder in there which really brings back the late 70's early 80's disco-electro vibe, the addition of Nile Rodgers, and of course the fabulously addictive Pharrell-featuring Get Lucky. RAM plays well accordingly. From the first song all the way to the epic ending that begs your mind to start the journey all over again. In fact, when I got the album the first time, I could not stop playing it repeatedly. There are a few drawbacks though such as the fact that some songs sound nearly similar one another. Overall though, a great comeback from the duo and the one of the best albums of 2013. Expand
  98. May 22, 2013
    I was waiting for their album since 2007,the wait is over and i couldn't be more happy by the results.Very,very different from all the previous album,with more lyrics and less actual EDM in it,but as others pointed out this could be considered a prequel to all the others album.
  99. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es lo mejor des de hace mucho tiempo, se apegan a sus orígenes con este nuevo proyecto musical. Con muchas expectativas este nuevo disco sali de entre las sombras para sorprendernos a propios y extraños. Aunque a muchos no les ha gustado ya que esperaban escuchar algo con lo que están familiarizados. En fin este disco llego para quedarse y romper records Expand
  100. May 25, 2013
    I can't believe anyone had any kind of concrete expectations for this album. Daft Punk are next-level ARTISTS and people on their level don't make the same album twice in a row. I'm not a die-hard Daft Punk fan but I have been a fan since the late-90s, and I'm personally glad they took things in a different direction instead of just rehashing "One More Time" or "Robot Rock" just to please everyone. The production quality on this album is top-notch and it's a complete work that's meant to be listened to start to finish.

Some of the negative reviews here who admit to not even listening to the whole album are a joke. At least give the whole thing a fair amount of time before judging it. It still has the familiar Daft Punk vocals on a lot of it so they didn't COMPLETELY abandon their sound. They did a fantastic job on this album and I'm just surprised so many people are dismissing it because it's not as immediately catchy as previous albums. There are several danceable songs in here, just because it's not 13 epic bangers in a row doesn't mean they did a bad job here. They wanted to make an ALBUM and not a collection of singles and I commend them for it.

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.