8.1

Review this album

1. May 22, 2013
    I was waiting for their album since 2007,the wait is over and i couldn't be more happy by the results.Very,very different from all the previous album,with more lyrics and less actual EDM in it,but as others pointed out this could be considered a prequel to all the others album.
  2. May 26, 2013
    At first, Random Access Memories could feel as empty, but the more you listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes. It is a departure from their previous work, but this album is a triumph, and the very proof that no matter which path the duo takes, they know how to make it rock.
  3. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es lo mejor des de hace mucho tiempo, se apegan a sus orígenes con este nuevo proyecto musical. Con muchas expectativas este nuevo disco sali de entre las sombras para sorprendernos a propios y extraños. Aunque a muchos no les ha gustado ya que esperaban escuchar algo con lo que están familiarizados. En fin este disco llego para quedarse y romper records Expand
  4. Jun 30, 2013
    The album is perfect in every way. Since the first time I've heard it, I was hooked. The disco electronic beats are amazing. At first, I was doubtful. I haven't thought Daft Punk would deliver such an amazing album. You should definitely listen to this.
  5. May 21, 2013
    Not the album you would expect, but that's part of what makes it great. It covers new ground and catches you unsuspecting for a sucker punch of the old mixed the new. If you're coming into this strictly wanting the electronic music you've come to love from Daft Punk, you're not going to have a good time, but if you're open to new possibilities you're going to love what you hear.

On a
    side note, some people complain about the beginning to Giorgio by Moroder because there is a considerable bit of talking, but this is just part of the groove. It's not an interview as much as another instrument to add atmosphere.

The 10 I gave this album is not hyperbole. It is quite simply at a level of excellence that truly deserves a perfect score.
  6. May 22, 2013
    One cannot expect anything stronger this year. To dance and to contemplate. A bombastic return of disco gods. Panda Bear and Moroder as cherries on top of a pie are tasteful. Yummy.
  7. May 21, 2013
    The hype this album had did not disappoint me. It was totally worth the wait. With epic pop songs like "Get Lucky" and "Instant Crush", this perfectly crafted masterpiece takes you to beautiful deep moments with "Within" and makes you want to shake your body with "Lose Yourself to Dance". "Give Life Back to Music" works as the perfect opener for this album and "Contact"... Guess what? The perfect ending. A huge epic ending.
    "Giorgio by Moroder" is a smart lengthy track that takes you into a trip inside Giorgio's musical life and, along with "Touch", is diverse and full of changes. "Fragments of Time" completes the album with its wonderful smooth ballad that leads us to "Doin' It Right", an excellent contribution with Panda Bear. This is one of those rare masterpieces that deserve the highest score possible. All the contributions here are magical: Pharrell Williams (tracks 6 and 8), Julian Casablancas (track 5) and Chilly Gonzales (track 4), just to name a few.
    Right away, from the first listen, you can tell that lots of time, dedication and love for music were put into this record. And the result... Well. let the numbers speak for itself.
  8. j30
    Aug 19, 2013
    It is hard to believe that Daft Punk's last official album came out 8 years ago (2005's Human After All) and they haven't lost a beat. With everyone from Britney Spears to Lady Gaga going to more of an electronic sound in their music, Daft Punk's record couldn't have come at a better time. They decided to record most of the album with real instruments with the help of the excellent guitarist Niles Rogers. EDM rarely challenges their listeners as much Daft Punk's RAM does, and is rarely as rewarding. Expand
  9. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is in the simplest of terms a triumph. Despite Daft Punk's robotic visage, every song on the album feels incredibly heartfelt, from the love letter to the Synthesizer that is Giorgio by Moroder, to the laid back and hypnotic Fragments of Time.

Despite having few collaborations prior to this record, Daft Punk clearly know how to get the best out of their new
    recruits. By selectively choosing artists and musicians that they look up to and admire, Daft Punk have managed to easily intertwine their inimitable electronic class with the likes of Nile Rodgers' incredibly catchy guitars, Todd Edwards' smooth cut-ups and Panda Bear's confident indie feel.

From the reviews and opinions I've gathered so far, the album's biggest point of contention seems to be 'Touch' the collaboration with Paul Williams. Whilst definitely not the best track on the album, it's certainly one that grows on you, especially when it hits that magnificent 3:20 mark.

Definitely not an album that should be missed by anybody.
  10. Jun 13, 2013
    Great album! Every song on this album is just amazing. I wasn't much of a daft punk fan before this album.
    But now I am! Brilliant Album!

Lose yourself to dance
  11. Aug 15, 2013
    Beautiful from start to finish and elegantly crafted with excellent attention to detail.
    It is Daft Punk's musically strongest album with great variety and emotion.
  12. May 23, 2013
    I am happy to say that this album is pure gold, as if king Midas himself touched Daft Punk's synthesizers. This is an album, aimed at an audience with more developed tastes, and not for those expecting "Around the World" #2 or "One more time" one more time. They did really stand out as the geniuses they are. The day Daft Punk splits up is the day music dies, but until then, im hoping they do release many albums after this. Expand
  13. May 21, 2013
    After a long wait, it's finally here, and it was WORTH it! Daft Punk have succeeded in making a fun, cool, and sometimes beautiful album that is going to be entertaining me for a long time to come. It is a true "album", with motifs, progression and an intro and outro. This is not just an album of singles and filler. Every track works and is enjoyable, but not always for the same reason. The songs on Random Access Memories are diverse and distinct, each being unique in it's own way. Some are fun like "instant crush", some are epic like "touch", and some are beautiful like "within". All the collaborating artists are used well, never overstay their welcome, and do their damnedest to make this album a great listen. That really sums up the album as a whole, everyone working hard to make this album something truly great, and I'd say they succeeded. Expand
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    This is just an excellent example of how music and conceptual albums should be done. And that is exactly why the release started with Give Life Back to Music.
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    One (if not) the most anticipated album release of the year, the duo awoken from their circuital slumber to once again shake the EDM scene. From "Give Life Back to Music" to "Contact", Guy-Man and Thomas dazzled our ears with the disco vibed LP. In their fourth album, many would question the LP stance as an electro music, but all (or most) would inclined that RAM is the best album of 2013 so far.
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    Regardless of your stance over Daft Punk’s previous albums, I can hardly think of anyone not liking Random Access Memories. The French duo decided to leave their typical electronic sound and create a more nostalgic and funky vibe that’s also heavier on vocals. Featuring a lot of surprising feature guests (not always in the singing business, of course) such as The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas or septuagenarian singer-songwriter Paul Williams, their fourth album is actually their best, in my opinion. Discovery was amazing, but their newest record just touches so much more layers and combines a multitude of different styles in 13 unique tracks. From sad love songs like “Within” or “Instant Love” over disco gems as “Get Lucky” or “Doin’ It Right” to the unforgettable epics “Touch” and “Giorgio By Moroder”, Random Access Memories presents everything that makes electronic dance music such a great genre. Expand
  17. Jul 12, 2013
    Daft Punk time-travels to the 1970s to create music with the most influential funk bands of the era, then returns to modern day and debuts their private recordings. They're beautiful. It's based on a true story. A true story of time travel.
  18. Sep 1, 2013
    Back in the '90s Dance music was a big genre thanks two robots in suits named Daft Punk, With their album "Homework" and several Eps that they released. Once the 2000's hit their single "One More Time" became their biggest hit to date, it also helped thanks to Anime inspired music videos for their album "Discovery" and throughout the rest of those twelve years they performed at several concerts and were responsible for the soundtrack to "Tron Legacy" but not much has progressed for their career. Now it's 2013 and Daft Punk releases their long awaited new album "Random Access Memories" which is being called "The Best album of the year" and that quote my friends is from me. This album defines the words "Good Music" but instead of good it's Masterful, it's so different, so special, and is something that will bring Daft Punk to the top of the charts. First off "Random Access Memories" has it's own story to tell, as it's about the Love for Music going back to what music was really about, it may feel dated for the short minded, but for people who love the art of music, it's extremely rewarding listening to these tracks. The opening track "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the best openings for an album this year next to Justin Timberlake's "Pusher Love Girl" for his album "The 20/20 Experience" and the album continues on with "The Game of Love" and more tracks that all tell an amazing story about music. One of the best songs on here is "Giorgio by Moroder" which is a mix of commentary and just simple strings and a synthesizer and it's such an beautiful song. A lot of the sounds here are very '70s Disco like and is different from today's Electronic music which was inspired by earlier songs by Daft Punk, it's great to see Punk's music changing by not being like every song out there, while still staying fun to listen to. Guest appearances include Pharrell, Panda Bear, and Paul Williams and although it's not earth shatteringly amazing, it's still fine appearances and it provides more depth to the songs they appear on. The album is thirteen song long, but it never becomes boring for all the 74 minutes it delivers. Overall, there's not much else I can say about "Random Access Memories" but that it's one of the most heartfelt pieces of work I've seen in sometime, and is worth listening for anyone who just loves music in general. Expand
  19. May 21, 2013
    This year marks the famous robotic duo Daft Punk's 20th year as a band and the release of their long awaited fourth studio album, Random Access Memories. Being announced a little over a month before its release, R.A.M. created a huge amount of hype and remixes from ads, TV spots, and a website makeover. Being my favorite band and artists of my favorite album, I was anxious to get my hands on Daft Punk's new album and for eight years, it was well worth the wait. Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo does not disappoint with these thirteen tracks and hour and a quarter of pure French House bliss. R.A.M. feels more like an experience more than an album with stand out songs such as Touch, Instant Crush, Get Lucky, and more. I highly recommend you pick up this phenomenal new album available on CD, vinyl, and digital download as soon as possible. Expand
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    Didn't think much of this album at first, but then you'll notice that you'll be going through your day and a tune is stuck in your head, and it's from this album (and it's not Get Lucky). I've now had that happen with over half the songs in the album. It grew from a 5 or 6/10 album to a full out 10/10 over the course of 2-3 front to back sessions. Sounds even better if you have a great hifi setup, the production value of this album is top notch! Expand
  21. May 21, 2013
    This album is every bit new and different and yet uniquely and 100% Daft Punk.

A first play through introduces you to a whole new sound. A second play through will get you into the groove. By the third play through you're picking up the details, flourishes and Daft Punkisms that have informed every single album they've made to date. It's dance, it's progressive, it's electronic, it's
    disco, it's brilliant.

Don't miss this album.
  22. May 22, 2013
    Finally, Daft Punk has made him do. It was impossible to have even more excitement to hear his new material after so long in silence.
    It is impossible for any human being on this planet does not know that his new album, Random Access Memories. In this music are more organic personality, something that computers do not give them. The bases of disco can be repeated again and again, as in
    Get Lucky, as if they were samples. The funny thing is that it is the most anticipated album of recent times but is full of songs that you would expect to hear anything from the discography of Daft Punk. Each song has its own personality that resembles the previous or the next. The album will surprise you from the beginning, but once you get listening to it, does get you, maybe they disagree with me, but I do notice a big difference in your sound and now that his previous work. Metamúsica is a tribute to the music of the 70s and early 80s. We discovered other Daft Punk, not what we expected, we knew not, but equally amazing and transgressors. I know I said the album Bring Me The Horizon, "Sempiternal" was the album of the year, but Daft Punk achievement far surpass that album.
    so for now, this is the album of the year.
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    The un-doubtful style of Daft Punk is clear in every song. Old times come back to mind and I must say Giorgio by Moroder is one of the finest pieces I've heard him in.
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    Speaking as someone who really couldn't claim to be a fan of the genre or style of music this album is phenomenal. And let's just get that out of the way; the only electronic music that I truly listen to is basically Monstercat remixes.

This album could have been a flop in the sense that it sets out to please everyone and usually when you do that, nobody ends up satisfied. This is
    completely different as they have succeeded on every single level. Random Access Memories is one of those albums where even a non-fan can pick it up and enjoy it. For example I bought this album in a little CD shop on my trip to London. After that we went to Scotland and drove around the country for hours every single day. My CD:s were the only thing (along with Rubber Soul, Revolver and Bob Marley's Legend) that both of my parents actually liked. That's how good this is.

The tone for Random Access Memories is quite sad with only a few songs that are up-beat and cheery (Lose yourself to Dance, Get Lucky) but these songs are not the best ones on the album. The best ones are the ones that feature smaller artists and that successfully tell a story. Sometimes that story isn't even delivered through words but more through a myriad of sounds. Listening to this is like listening to Chopin's Nocturne; it just takes you away and doesn't let go until the end of the album. This album is pleasing to both ears and mind and it also appeals both to hardcore and casual listeners alike.

This is electronic music at its very finest.
  25. May 21, 2013
    I love this album and I love how Daft Punk continue to evolve their sound and experiment. It's almost never the exact same thing from them. I can't to hear what they will do next.
  26. Jul 24, 2013
    This a great album which is different to other albums by daft punk which is what makes their music stand out.
    The quality of the whole album with very high details shows up and gives it its sense of mood.
  27. May 23, 2013
    Excellent album! it perfectly syncs retro disco with electronic. when I first heard the song "Get Lucky" on YouTube I thought someone was rick rolling me with an Earth wind & Fire song and whenever I listen to this album I think of buying a disco ball for the living room.
  28. Sep 26, 2013
    Greatest album out there right now. Overwhelming amount of live-sound, collaborations with Paul Williams, Neil Rodgers and legendary Giorgio Moroder, who is used very brilliantly in this feature. I gotto say, I was surprised by Pharrell Williams, who has never struck me as a powerful artist, but in picked singles he was the best choice over any other. Funk and Disco are the main focus and Daft Punks usual is kept only to add to the atmosphere. It`s a quality album, that has no technical flaws and disappoitments. This album will be timeless. Expand
  29. May 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a stratospheric record. And I highlight the word record, because that’s exactly what it is, and is also what few mainstream releases in 2013 especially in dance music can feasibly call themselves. It plays in a natural progression, constantly aware of its own momentum and taking every step necessary to keeping itself thriving. You’ve probably heard of its incredible roster of musicians Nile Rodgers, Panda Bear, Pharrell Williams, Julian Casablancas etc. who are all there to humanize Daft Punk’s highly polished, fantastically produced sound. Simply put, it’s nothing less than the Stankonia of EDM. The session musicians also help to expand DP’s horizons to regions of quality they’ve previously been unable to attain.

This isn’t a collection of 13 perfect tracks, but if it were, it wouldn’t have made a perfect 75 minutes. In putting RAM together, Daft Punk were clearly aware of how to balance the album’s strengths; otherwise, the power of songs like “Touch” and “Contact” would have been diminished. Having said that, there isn’t a bad song here, and every track equates to a quality level of at least ‘very good’.

It all really boils down to the opener “Give Life Back To Music”, which like all great opening tracks sets the tone and sums up the entire album, serving as Random Access Memories‘ mission statement with its titular declaration and its whirlwind of instruments. Daft Punk have set out to make an actual album of dance music that strides over the pitfalls opened up by Human After All and gives today’s sterile mainstream a shot of vitality. And it’s fair to say that they have. The album is a trip it navigates emotional highs and lows with astounding finesse, whereas their previous best, Discovery, started high, swooped down and then rose slightly at the end. And while there were more party-suitable tracks on the 2001 album than just “Get Lucky”, that clearly isn’t the point this time around.

The record is littered with enough subtly arresting moments to keep it alive and guarantee enjoyment on every spin, such as the Giorgio Moroder interview that comes on like a Spotify advert, the bowel-shifting drums that kick-start “Lose Yourself to Dance”, the cool-yet-ecstatic vocoder section in “Get Lucky” and the disarming minimalism of “Doin’ it Right”.

The sad thing is that the album’s ambition is the flag that crowns the Daft Punk mountain. It’s what their career has been building up to, and the success of Random Access Memories is going to be hard to match or outdo without the next album completely imploding on itself. RAM is a galactic fusion of genres and ethnicities, a seamless collage of the 70s and 80s and then the sounds of the future. It has flaws, but these flaws are just breathing spaces for the astonishing levels of excellence this album achieves. It’s an eternal record that defines the possibilities available to those who really push themselves in music. By listening to Random Access Memories, you’re witnessing the greatest moment of Daft Punk’s career.
  30. May 21, 2013
    Absolutely amazing and compelling album which takes you back—to the future. It compeleld me in each song, and when I wasn't listening to it I was still inevitably dancing. AMAZING album.
  31. May 31, 2013
    All that can be said of disco and funk music in daft punk is clearly in this album. full of innovative rhythms and giving new life to the music that we have lost in these last year, these guys came back with their best album in years. personally, I think is better than discovery although not as good as Homework but still it's such a classic album for new generations who want music with a 70s air.
  32. May 21, 2013
    They gave life back to music. We need this king of music nowadays. "New" music is mostly repetitive and talk about the same: getting yourselves drunk because you have to enjoy life, being rich is amazing and you can do whatever you want (seariously is sad how many songs talk about that), SWAG. And all those stupid things that music these days mention that we forget the main reason of music: To Lose Ourselves to Dance. 10/10 Expand
  33. May 24, 2013
    If discovery is the album of the first decade of the XXI century, Random Access Memories is the album of the 2010's. Daft Punk's choice of using real drums is very effective and you can hear it. With this album they succeded in mixing progressive rock (see the intro in Touch), Jazz (see the electric piano medley in Giorgio by Moroder) electropop and of course dance togheter. They found a synthesis between all this genres and their style with their great autotune samples (get lucky, lose yourself to dance). Expand
  34. May 21, 2013
    A must buy. Although it feels a bit strange the first you hear the album, the more you listen the more you fall in love with it. Every song feels like a masterpiece. To fully enjoy the album you must be open to new things but my god, does it worth it... Daft Punk talk to you through melodies, the songs will make you think and they will trully speak to your core. Mind blowing.
  35. May 21, 2013
    well i think this album is honestly is the best album daft punk has ever released. It has lived up to all the rant and rave about it too it was well worth the wait. Some songs on this album seem to be repetitive but good. I think this album is getting a Grammy no matter what and if it doesn't I call shenanigans... That's all folk I would highly recommend purchasing this album.
  36. May 21, 2013
    A very good album. I really was disappointed with the tron legacy soundtrack, but throughout all the album, you realize that they are the best! oh yes
  37. May 21, 2013
    Personally, I loved this album. Being a fan of their Homework and Discovery albums, I couldn't wait for RAM. It is genius how it combines music of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today all in to one fresh album. "Give Life Back to Music" is a great way to start the album, as an exciting banger with Nile Rodger's riffs. Then, "The Game of Love" is a laid back, slow, mysterious sounding song. It is a great song, but is easily overlooked by the "standouts" of the album. "Giorgio by Moroder" is one of my favorite songs on the album. It starts off with Giorgio Moroder narrating the early stages of his musical career, and then next thing you know a synthesizer tune, a remake of a tune of one of Moroder's original works, is piercing into your ears. Simple at first, but then there's a jazzy keyboard solo, then a bass solo, and towards the end there's suddenly an orchestra and an electric guitar and then this huge explosion of harmonies of tons of different instrumental elements blasts in your ear, all complimenting the basic synthesizer tune. Pure brilliant. Next is "Within", another slow song with melancholy lyrics, with Chilly Gonzales playing piano. Great song, but like "The Game of Love", it is constantly overlooked by the standout songs. After is "Instant Crush", a much more upbeat song with Julian Casablancas' vocoder vocals. Great song, but not one of my favorites on the album. After is "Lose Yourself to Dance", an extra funky disco jam with Nile Rodger's guitar riffs and Pharrell's MJ-like vocals. Probably one of the best dance songs on the album. Then is "Touch", featuring legendary singer/songwriter Paul Williams. Starting off with a strange, almost haunting distorted voice of Paul. Then fast piano-playing occurs, very upbeat, but then a strange children-choir joins, singing "If love is the answer then hold, hold on." Great song overall. Next is the most popular song, the one and only "Get Lucky", the other catchy disco groove with Pharrell vocals and Nile guitar riffs. The song is plain fun. Next is "Beyond", starting off with an orchestral theme, which could even be mistaken for the theme of a science fiction movie, then leading into a slow funky jam. Next is "Motherboard", an interesting jam as well, with interesting percussion drums and a mystical flute. After is "Fragments of Time". With the smooth vocals of Todd Edwards and the relaxed mood of the song, it makes you feel like you're driving down a Californian summer beach. Next is "Doin it Right" featuring Panda Bear of Animal Collective. This song is simple, but a great listen, probably the song on the album that sounds the most like Daft Punk's older stuff. Last but not least is "Contact", which was produced with DJ Falcon. This song is great, using the only sampling on the album, sampling The Sherb's "We Ride Tonight". The track is the best modern banger of the album and a great way to close the album.

Overall, the album is phenomenal. Although, if you expected Random Access Memories to be like Daft Punk's older stuff, prepare to be disappointed. However if you open up your mind, I'm sure you'll love this album. Listen to the album at least twice before you have an official view on it, because the album is so massive it takes a while to digest. Great album Daft Punk, one of the best I've heard in a very long time.
  38. May 21, 2013
    Simply, Amazing! After the not so succesful "Human After All" Daft Punk comes back with their most polished and refined work to date. The French Duo has left its Teenage Wildstyle roots and made a more mature album.All the songs have soul and a different feeling, which gets never boring. Altough there are a few weak songs such as Motherboard and The Game of Love, the overall quality is outstanding.
    Definitely a must-buy for electro-dance genre lovers, new Daft Punk fans and old Daft Punk fans. PERIOD!!
  39. May 21, 2013
    An instant summer classic. This album didn't deserve the hype it deserved much more. Daft Punk has brought us back to the root of dance and electronic, showing us that even the most pure and organic sounds are able to synthesize into a masterpiece.

"I am deeply respectful of somebody who expresses their craft and their art, without the hunger, for the public attention. They (Daft
    Punk) disconnect who they are to allow you to experience what they create." Paul Williams Expand
  40. May 24, 2013
    Random Access Memories is not only Daft Punk's best work, it's the best thing to happen to music in over a decade. Perfection from start to finish. Having said that, this album is going to confuse the hell out of a lot people. It's not the album they were expecting. It's better.
  41. May 25, 2013
    Beautifully made, the album is definitely made to listen in one straight go, not individually, something that has left music nowadays. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is open to new things from Daft Punk, not just a new EDM album, since it isnt made to be one.
  42. May 25, 2013
    Daft Punk has said they dont like to do the same things twice. This album upholds their statement as this is different from Discovery and Tron. The album deserves a ten because you can tell by the intricacies of the songs. However, I completely despise the songs featuring Pharrell (Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance). Also I did not enjoy the weird, almost scary sounds in Touch and Contact.
  43. FdO
    May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If every musician nowadays had the consciousness of these guys to make music the scene would be very differently, and saying this I wanna mean that they are great, Complete musicians and examples to follow in electronic music! Expand
  44. May 26, 2013
    for me every album of Daft Punk is a different journey... and this is one them. i dont realize how can people talk about negative things of the music trying to be objective, thats imposible... if you dont like it is because you want to listen something else, no Daft punk.
  45. May 27, 2013
    AMAZING ALBUM!!! Daft Punk just smashed me up with so stunning and catchy sounds, funky, dancy, and easy to listening music make me feel very positive when album is plays. I'm amazed from thew first notes played on the first track. Best for me is: "get life back to music", "get lucky", "lose yourself to dance", "instant crush". Worth every penny you will spend for original CD. JUST GREAT.
  46. May 29, 2013
    Personally I hate Daft Punks old stuff but, this album is utter brilliance. It comes to us at a time when the album is a dying art and singles seems to be dominating the industry. And this album may be the album to change that! Random Access Memories is one of the few albums I have listened to that I could not supplement from you HAVE to listen to it front to back and you will go out of your way to. In conclusion BUY THIS ALBUM! Expand
  47. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is the best album of the year so far. This could be the album that really brings the electronic genre to mainstream. Every track on the album has great production behind it, and there's even some pretty good vocals and lyrics on the album.
  48. Jun 4, 2013
    If you consider yourself a bassist professional, aspiring, or the 11 year old in 6th grade jazz band brave enough to try learn EVERY note of this album. Each song is lovingly crafted, and the bass lines are tailored perfectly for each tune. Don't worry about the "70s disco" thing, or what this could be categorized as; this is EXACTLY what we should be studying as musicians and lovers of music. I'm thrilled that DP would give us a gift this lovingly constructed, and just trust that we would pay if we loved it. I'm buying my hard copy tomorrow! Expand
  49. Jun 17, 2013
    Going back to the fast to make musical progressions in the future! I think Daft Punk really struck gold with this record: It's replay value is off the charts, it's catchy as hell, and gives off an authentic throwback vibe. Every song Great.
  50. Jul 24, 2013
    In an age where the electronic music scene has become saturated with unoriginal and uninspired david-guetta-esque singles, 'Random Access Memories' is nothing short of genius. This LP signals the french ("electronic"?) duo's triumphant return to commercial releases, as well as their descent into the all but forgotten sounds of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Although many feel as though Thomas and Guy-Man's abandoning of their traditional heavily-sampled house music sound is a let-down, 'Random Access Memories' is actually quite a welcome breath of fresh air. Every track on this album feels meticulously arranged and crafted, with nothing left to unoriginality. In a creative blend of new and old, Daft Punk was able to create a record that is truly timeless. Despite the clear prog, disco, and funk influences on this LP, the duo was still able to create an album that is definitively Daft Punk. With their signature synthesizers and vocoders, practically every track has an electronic flair of some kind, and none of it feels forced.

Despite giving RAM a 10/10, one does have to admit that some of the longer tracks on the LP (see 'Giorgio by Moroder', 'Touch', and 'Lose Yourself to Dance') can become a bit tedious at times, the use of repetition and length can be attributed to the house-music mentality that Daft Punk employs throughout the album. However, except for this, there really isn't a reason that someone should not own this album. Although not a traditional Daft Punk fan, this album has quickly become one of my favorites of the year, and will for sure become a classic in due time.
  51. Jul 7, 2013
    This has to be Daft Punk's best overall composition as an album and the one I've enjoyed listening to the most (beating out my other favorites Discovery and the Tron Legacy Soundtrack). The best way to listen to this album is in it's entirety. You can listen to songs by apart from listening to the whole album but I think the album is meant to be listened to at once. I have had many listening parties of this album with friends and it never disappoints. Great album to listen to by the pool as well. It still sounds like Daft Punk but breathes new life into their electronic image and elevates their music at the same time. Expand
  52. Jul 9, 2013
    Random Access Memories accomplishes everything it sets out to do. The beats, the melodies, the grooves, and every other sound on the album contribute toward Daft Punk's goal--to bring life back to music, on Guy-Man and Thomas's terms.
  53. Jul 19, 2013
    Para mi Random Acces Memories es el mejor album de este año, con grandes canciones, una gran producción hacen que este album sea un deleite para nuestros oídos.
  54. Jul 21, 2013
    Having recently turned to the electronica genre, Daft Punk were like a "love at first sound", with fantastic tracks from Discovery and their Alive tours.

And then comes RAM. Frankly, I was not expecting this from them, being so different from their previous work. I was skeptic at first with the sound, playing "Get Lucky" on youtube once. Then forgot about them... But the music was stuck
    in my mind, and I just kept returning for more and more of it, until finally I gave up my resistance and got their album.

I've been playing only RAM for the past 5-7 days, and I've hit 4+ stars for 9 out of the 13 songs. I am trying to get out of it, but it keeps pulling me back... I can't escape RAM... please someone... help m3...
  55. Jul 25, 2013
    Their magnum opus. Lush, interwoven sounds that make me feel really good. An artist that actually gives a damn about recording an album, not just a single.
  56. Aug 21, 2013
    Daft Punk really is raising the bar with this LP. It has everything: pop classics, experimental odysseys, slow jams, deep tellings of introspection, and everything in between. The dynamic and emotional variety on this album is remarkable. It sounds nostalgic but feels forward-thinking. Thomas and Guy-Man made the perfect record they could have possibly made at this point in their career, especially considering the condition of electronic music and the whole "EDM" scene. 10/10 Expand
  57. Sep 18, 2013
    Daft Punk's greatest effort to date. Yes, you heard me correctly-- it's better than both Discovery and Alive 2007. It isn't even really close, either.
  58. Oct 18, 2013
    Best and most creative work of Daft Punk. Instead of focusing on making futuristic music, back to the past, the genres of disco and electronica that was surely gave the album the innovative touch. Random Access Memories is not only the best album of the French duo's career, but also becomes the best album of the year.
  59. Oct 8, 2013
    Every night before I go to bed I listen to a few songs from RAM. It has not ceased to blow my mind. I feel like it never gets old and I can't stop listening to it! Keep pumping out beats Daft Punk.
  60. Oct 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories truly is the best album of th previous years. I mean, it contains many masterpieces such as Give Life Back to Music, Touch, Giorgio by Moroder, Motherboard...
    One does not simply dislike every song on this record, Funk and Disco sounds are quite represented with this kind of Daft Punk's mastered feel.
    This album is the peak of their career: genius ideas and hard
    work emanate from Random Access Memories, thus I can't imagine giving any other grade than 10, and f**k yes, I WILL compare this album to Dark Side of the Moon or even Thriller. Damn, thank you Daft Punk for giving me goosebumps Expand
  61. Mar 24, 2014
    Random Access Memories seems to look back on all the artists previous work, and mash it all together, whilst also adding in something far more creative and innovative. Access Memories is indeed a long album, but each and every single track on this album shines out and pulls you straight into the disco-techy void that this touching, exciting, steaming with adventure album in fact is. There won't be another dance album like this for a while, no doubt. Expand
  62. Jan 24, 2014
    This album is extremely diverse and interesting. It collects a whole range of genres and puts them together into Daft Punk's own special form. The resulting album sounds incredible with great tunes and rifts compressing into a great dance album. A must listen to album where all songs in the album should be listened to in order for a great experience where the songs make the whole album a thorough masterpiece. Expand
  63. Jan 26, 2014
    A landmark album. It's experimental,cinematic, and plays like a history of dance music. Not to mention that all of the collaborations are nothing short of legendary. It geeks out the music nerds out there, and pleases the tweens with perfect tracks like "Get Lucky" (over 150 Million views on youtube now.)
  64. Jul 26, 2014
    Properly Putting One In The Mood To Dance, Random Access Memories Brings Daft Punk's Signature Noise To The Stage And With It A Possible Uprising In Dance Music.
  65. Feb 14, 2014
    I never thought it would be possible to listen to such disco-sound-like brand new music in 2013.

Huge thanks to Daft Punk, Nile Rodgers and Pharrel Williams for this amazing and awesome album.
  66. Feb 22, 2014
    A perfect album from robot electronic duo Daft Punk. Better than Discovery, has less repetition. Daft Punk worked together great musicians like Nile Rodgers from Chic, Panda Bear, Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, Giorgio Moroder. RAM makes us feel like we are in 70s.
  67. Mar 4, 2014
    I love the whole album. Our 2 robots associate perfectly many instruments to bring us the best tunes of the year 2013. I imagined that many tracks of this album will belong to the 25th future when the robots appear and gradually replace the human... Taste un cup of cafe while listening this album, so great
  68. May 28, 2013
    At first, I wasn't sure about this album, I thought it was a lil' bit borin' comparin' it to their previous efforts, which were made for dance clubs and ecstasy. But I just decided to give it a chance due to the amount of hype it's receiving from the music press around the world, and man, this is truly a GREAT piece of work and art. Just forget about their previous sound, and come to this album with new ears, and you'll find that they finally became "human after all", and showed us that EDM producers can be REAL talented and gifted musicians, using real instruments and real musicians working hard in a real professional studio. After 3 listens I was really diggin' it. Just give it a chance and it'll reward you, and it'll grow and grow on you. Ok, it's not an album made for nightclubs and ecstasy, but it's a nice one to listen to during a sunset in front of a beach, drinkin' some good coctails and a big joint before the big "party hard" thing comes later in the midnight. Expand
  69. May 24, 2013
    I do not think anyone was expecting what Daft Punk has delivered with Random Access Memories, and I say that as a positive thing. With R.A.M., Daft Punk has managed to give us a taste of the future while re-visiting (versus regurgitating) sounds from the past, from disco-funk of Chic to the space rock sounds of Steve Miller Band.

For starters, "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the
    best album openers I've heard in recent years; a perfectly-crafted thesis statement that gets the body moving. "Get Lucky", shines even more brightly here than as a single. It is perfectly-placed in the album, and the track's extended running time gives it more room to breathe; this song will remain a classic. "Doin' It Right" is another standout track; a down tempo pop jam that is given a melancholic edge with the boyish vocals of Panda Bear, and it is perfectly suited for long summer drives with the windows down. The instrumental track "Motherboard" is also wonderful; its wide-eyed beauty hits like a ray of light beamed from space.

But to say this album is a perfect 10 would be untrue. There are songs here that are definitely flawed, despite their meticulous production and admirable ambition. The song "Touch" begins strongly as a borderline-terrifying space rock tune with sounds that hearken back to the Cars track "Moving in Stereo". But "Touch" manages to morph into an awkward Broadway show tune; while it is not bad per-se, it is certainly all over the place, and it is difficult to get past Paul Williams' mismatched vocals. And while Todd Edwards being brought back for another collaboration was great, "Fragments of Time" is almost too cheesy to consume, and Edwards' singing abilities do not show here like they did in "Face to Face".

But despite R.A.M.'s flaws, it is still an excellent (and occasionally great) album. In an age where singles are purchased and entire albums are ignored, R.A.M. is a work that should be experienced from beginning to end, with the best headphones you can find.
  70. May 25, 2013
    Daft Punk effortlessly opt for a more organic instrumental sound, leaving the synthesizers, for the most part, out of it. This is by far the best thing the robots could've done. To show that they can create meaningful and ambitious music using actual instruments not only proves that they are legendary, but still the pioneers of dance music. The 70's, 80's, disco, and new wave influences flourish throughout the whole record. Each collaboration brings life into the album, but it is Daft Punk who shine the most. No one track are the same, in fact every track holds their own and fit perfectly in this album.

All In All, Random Access Memories is the album we deserve after the disappointingly awful Human After All. Daft Punk have finally crafted a huge record, one that will stand the test of time. A modern classic. A-
  71. May 25, 2013
    I can't believe anyone had any kind of concrete expectations for this album. Daft Punk are next-level ARTISTS and people on their level don't make the same album twice in a row. I'm not a die-hard Daft Punk fan but I have been a fan since the late-90s, and I'm personally glad they took things in a different direction instead of just rehashing "One More Time" or "Robot Rock" just to please everyone. The production quality on this album is top-notch and it's a complete work that's meant to be listened to start to finish.

Some of the negative reviews here who admit to not even listening to the whole album are a joke. At least give the whole thing a fair amount of time before judging it. It still has the familiar Daft Punk vocals on a lot of it so they didn't COMPLETELY abandon their sound. They did a fantastic job on this album and I'm just surprised so many people are dismissing it because it's not as immediately catchy as previous albums. There are several danceable songs in here, just because it's not 13 epic bangers in a row doesn't mean they did a bad job here. They wanted to make an ALBUM and not a collection of singles and I commend them for it.
  72. Jun 19, 2013
    The french duo return after sitting back for seven years(not counting their score work for TRON: Legacy.) And they are back with a vengeance. With Random Access Memories, Daft Punk continues to show why they are the face of House music.
  73. May 23, 2013
    This isn't what i expected. But in a good way. It hooked me in with it's nostalgic, yet modern feel. It's a look back, but very today. There are a couple slight misses, but as a whole, it is quite the sublime record. Looking for a hi-energy non stop all out dance record? This isn't it. Looking for a brilliant, retro-mod ride? Then pick this up.
  74. May 21, 2013
    After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy. I must say that Daft Punk may have lost some of their electronic side in the transition period, but those are minor details. It seems as if comparing Human After All with Random Access Memories is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruits, but they're nothing alike.

Even from the beginning, Daft Punk make their message clear. They are trying to "Give Life Back To Music". They, unlike all pop music today, have emotion. They have rhythm and soul. So, maybe these cold, metallic robots do have hearts after all. They seem to show love and want to spread it with their music. The feel good tracks such as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" get their audience into a hypnotic state of being, mesmerized by the entrancing beats. One song in particular caught my attention. The track "The Game of Love" is a heart-wrenching masterpiece with a similar feel to "Something About Us" from Discovery. This lyrics, despite being distorted by a robotic voice, express a deep lamentation and exclamation of love.

The first half of the album is flawless. The songs are smooth and errorless. When you slowly transition into the second half, it seems as though the songs become more ambient. They would be perfect if they were played in the background of a party, but not as frontline tracks. I'm not saying that they are bad tracks, but they lack the emotion and funkiness that is set-up in the first half. However, I am slightly disappointed with "Doin' It Right". This track features the genius vocalist/drummer Noah Lennox (or better known as Panda Bear). He is a member of one of my favourite bands, Animal Collective, and has made a splash in the electronic spectrum. I figured that the rhythm behind Animal Collective would create a heavenly collaboration with two electronic gods. I was sadly mistaken when I heard the lack-lustre track. It's not all bad, but I really expected something with a little more "oomph".

Despite a few minor setbacks, Daft Punk have created one of the most enjoyable albums this year and continue to surprise us with new tricks up their sleeves.
  75. May 22, 2013
    Daft Punk's most intelligent and deepest album to date, absolutely phenomenal. The scale of song's such as 'Touch', 'Giorgio by Moroder' and 'Contact' prove that Daft Punk are STILL ahead of the curve. Personal favourites are, 'Give Life back to Music', 'Touch', 'Instant Crush', 'Get Lucky', 'Doin' it Right' and of course the epic 'Giorgio By Moroder'.
  76. May 22, 2013
    It is a great album and a great disappointment for Daft Punk fans, especially those who expected something like Discovery or Human After All. For me every song felt like wtf. I wanted an album full of Alive 2007 level tracks. However, after listening to that Random Access Memories for several hours I realised that it is absolutely brilliant. Daft Punk were criticised for having lifeless robotic songs and they've shown that they can put soul in their tracks. Expand
  77. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...and they do so. This album may not be as good as Discovery, but it is a fine return of the beloved french duo and I hope they continue to do more creative music in the future. Expand
  78. May 23, 2013
    I really love this album. I haven't been a hardcore Daft Punk fan but i REALLY love this album.... It is excellent, the mastering and recording is T O P NOTCH!!!!!!! Quality. And i love the jazzy/rocky/electronic/funk/retro music..... Fine music, i love it.

There is a few songs i dont particularly like so much, but every song is IMO at least OK! It's close to perfect.

79. Aug 2, 2013
    I'm a HUGE Daft Punk fan and finally the new album is out, and it's amazing. But it's not perfect, and here is why. There are 3 kind of Daft Punk songs on the album: commercial 'singles' (Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, Give Life Back to Music & Fragments of Time), mellow 'slow' songs (Game of Love, Within, Beyond & Horizon) and general Daft Punk songs (the remaining 6 songs). Naturally most people like the commercial songs the most whereas die-hard fans want that electronic Daft-sound.

There is something for everyone on this album and you can't ignore the fact that it's an amazing achievement to make an 'electronic' album with hundreds of live intstruments. You can hear the quality of this 5 year in the making album. A bit less 'mellow' and 'commercial' songs and more pure Daft sound and it would be a 10/10 from me. Discovery has the perfect balance and still is their best album.
  80. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is certainly surprising. Daft Punk have broken my expectatives, i expect something different but the results are very much better. Is a personal work, a headphones album, with great coherence, a strict sense of narrative in some songs of the album. Is great to hear the way that electronic music converts in an album with a several symphony arrangements. I remember 70's albums of Pink Floyd, Queen, works with a common line, telling us a musical story. Is my favourite since Discovery, and Giorgio By Moroder is a little master piece, and Touch a curiously and complex work that will divide listeners. You may not dance, but if you have sensitivity, you'll feel and you can't stop listening. Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2013
    Para los que creían que Daft Punk habían llegado a un bache, vuelven con toda, se reinventan y llegan con este refresco de muy buena música, alejados como siempre del mal gusto comercial que es lo que alegra. y haciendo un viaje por la buena vibra setentera y ochentera.
  82. May 24, 2013
    I have no idea what to classify this album under. That's the cool thing about Daft Punk, they're always evolving and adapting. There's collaborations with old and young artists of all styles, and they way they blend with Daft Punk is simple astounding and unique. No two songs sound much alike, and most of them are fantastic. There are a few tracks that don't stand as tall as the others, but are solid songs in their own right. The track "Lose Yourself to Dance" alone made me buy, this album, and I've had the distinct pleasure of listening to it, in it's entirety and adding other songs like Instant Crush, Doin It Right, and others to that list. Expand
  83. Jun 1, 2013
    Four words: Album of the Summer

With nary a bad track throughout the entire 74 minute journey, RAM brings disco back into the mainstream. While underground artists continued to play with disco (in various forms) since the 70s, daft punk bring life to an otherwise dead sound.
  84. May 31, 2013
    Daft Punk uses their past to create the future, something that alot of musical formations seem to not even dream about in their naughtiest of dreams. The hype has been working in their favor as well, but that's not the discussion here. The album sounds like Daft Punk has never gone away. Another thing that it let me see, however harsh this may sound, Justice was merely a fill-up for the return of Daft Punk. If you dare admit, the first time you heard Justice, you thought it was the new Daft Punk.

Filled with gorgeous landscapes (Giorgo by Moroder), Within which serves as a stretched intro to Instant Crush (containing lush digitalized guitar sounds that Julian Casablancas ironically wished to see the daylight on his own band's Angles) and the instant Summer hit Lose Yourself to Dance (it makes you shake your hips AND clap your hands) this album is pretty much layed out. The rest of the songs resonate these feelings and wrap up the album pretty good. The ending track, Contact, felt like an epic veil falling over the stage. Like you go see an opera, they have one last song that takes up everything and just lifts the piece to this whole other level so you are left with this feeling of amazement, curious for the next adventure.

With this album almost clocking in at 73 minutes (only 10 seconds longer than Homework), this is their longest album released to day. Unlike previous albums, I'm surprised by the amount of strong and interesting songs on this album, which undoubtedly due to all the collaborators they've had on RAM. I only got bored/skipped at one or two songs and even then I sorta felt bad because they felt like part of the experience.

If Music gives you Life, give Life back to Music.
  85. Jun 4, 2013
    Draft is back! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first DP album to not have a movie with it since homework. Not as good as discovery, but not too shabby. This is the thing to me with them they have created many masterpieces, so that comes with the typical hype. I think what we have here is just a good chill record. Its hard to follow super massive success, and I feel like they just said it let's have fun, I support them and this album all the way. My top 3 probably give life back, Giorgio, and get lucky. Just chill and let it grow on you if you expect anything, you already expect to much. Good one guys you won't ever let us down! Now get in you're pyramid and tour!!! Haha Expand
  86. May 29, 2013
    This album is a little more mellow and laid back than their previous work, but the more you listen, the better the songs get. The collaboration and effort to perfect this album is excellent. Any future remixes should also be excellent.
  87. Aug 13, 2013
    [9.0] It definitely isn't their most energetic music, but it's possibly their best album. Daft Punk somehow manages to make music from multiple decades in the past, yet still original, and still Daft Punk. This album represents the best of pop music.
  88. May 21, 2013
    A great and ambitious album thats not afraid to be softer at times. Nothing on this album feels like its on a grid like most music today especially electronic music. It flows completely different genres into one another beautifully. Daft Punk definitely nailed the emotion they were going for which is refreshing but the only problem this triumph of an album has is that it lacks the energy some people would expect from electronic music. The hype for this album is just met but not exceeded. Tracks like Beyond and Game of Love can make you feel sleepy but dancing to them definitely wasnt the intent. This album wont make you feel like you got off a roller coaster but rather like you just saw the grand canyon. Expand
  89. May 31, 2013
    This is the case of the hype much, deliver tush. This album may be different but it doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or amazing. In these days of generic pop tracks, everyone jumps at sounds by famous musicians which do not sound generic but are not necessarily good, and exaggerate their qualities. Don't get me wrong, the melodies are not bad or anything, they just aren't something people would 'lose themselves to dance' to. The tracks are too dull to be dance records and not bright enough to be pop. Too fast to be r&b/soul and too tame to be rock. This album just stands in-between and reaches for nothing. I honestly believe that Daft Punk of all people could have found some better ground to build an album after more than 8 years. I knew from the start that critics would hype and acclaim this album just because it is not your usual Rihanna or Pitbull album, but at the same time we gotta ask ourselves: Is different necessarily good? What makes RAM a good album? Is it because it does not sound the same as what's on the radio or because it actually gets you moving irresistibly just like 'One More Time' did? If the answer to the latter is 'no' then this album can be considered mediocre. Expand
  90. May 21, 2013
    Daft Punk were in danger of becoming a musical norm, the dowdy ordinary, the discarded gold standard, a flaking blueprint packed away in the archives, never to be consulted again. Until they create an album like Random Access Memories, possibly the world’s most misunderstood album ever recorded.

RAM is a bold and unashamedly gushing love letter to disco. Whether this is good or bad
    thing, time and repeat listens will decide.

A lot of critique of the album during the initial frenzied clamour to define or, more often than not, to deride Daft Punk’s intentions here, were about the sound of RAM it doesn’t sound like a real Daft Punk album, more akin to being labelled as a derivative disco record. Some unjustly comparisons went as far as likening it to a collection of lost Steely Dan demos and a bad Michael McDonald album. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I like Steely Dan and Michael McDonald, I wish there were more records like them, unapologetic fluffy pop-jazz-funk hybrids with great competent live instrumentation that’s not always showy, but full of interesting ideas. RAM is an album that fits that description.

Giorgio By Moroder featuring, naturally, Giorgio Moroder on spoken word, reminiscing on the origins of his long musical career and overall aesthetic philosophy, while around it, like faithful disciples, Daft Punk build a little epic 9-minute sonata that segues from pulsing synth modulations into dinner party disco funk, then, unexpectedly, a sharp right turn into triumphant orchestration for an underdog movie and then straight down into a solid bass, drum and guitar stadium sized jam anthem, all the while Uncle Giorgio explaining his musical raison d'être, and indeed the overall message of Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories:

“…once you free your mind about the concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want…nobody told me what to do, there was no preconception…”

*edited from full review available at bizarrojerri.wordpress.com
  91. May 21, 2013
    This album is good, yeah if you’re some kind of Daft Punk purist you’re going to have some issues, Its ok tho, there’s some stuff you’ll like. For everyone else, its a rich rewarding listen. A funky guitar laden, synthesizer based ode to music and love. It’s slow at times, but that pace allows you to enjoy the freedom with which the band experiments with sounds and textures. This album isn’t revolutionary, Daft Punk no longer is trying to establish a sound. This is just them doing what they do best. Expand
  92. May 21, 2013
    I knew this album would be brilliant. I knew the moment the 90-minute teaser was shown at Coachella. I knew the moment Pharrell appeared in an interview for the album and described the band as “gracious robots” whose purpose is to enhance the lives of those on “this oblong rock that we call home.” Despite the veritable blitzkrieg of marketing, ads, press, interviews, teasers and snippets, no one seemed to get sick of seeing the masked heads of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo plastered on walls all around the world.

Gone are the grinding drums and the grating bursts of synth. In their place are lush strings and astonishingly delicate live drumming. The robot voices have been softened to sound less alien, and more alienated. It’s all tied up by the hyperkinetic guitar work of Nile Rogers, the legend behind “We Are Family,” “Freak Out,” and “Let’s Dance.” This album is funky, groovy, soulful, and has a distinctive human touch. This isn’t music you do the robot to; the ‘robo-boogie’ Flight of the Conchords sing about in “The Humans Are Dead” is more appropriate.

The album’s opening track is “Give Life Back To Music,” a beautiful four minutes of muted guitars. From the outset, it’s clear that Daft Punk are using real musicians–instead of working from technology as they did before, they recruited some of the best session musicians in LA, New York, Paris and London to really bring their music to life. The song’s title is in keeping with Thomas Bangalter (the silver-masked robot)’s statement regarding the band’s shift away from computers: "In a computer, everything is recallable all the time, but life is a succession of events that only happen once,” he proclaimed. This song (and indeed, the rest of the album) has warmth and human fallibility that is conspicuously absent from standard electronic music.

The best songs on the album are the ones that most subvert our expectations of Daft Punk. “Giorgio by Moroder” is a freak-out of synths and drumming so intricate that it wouldn’t be out of place on a free jazz album. Flea-esque bass solos are thrown in for good measure, alongside some scratching that furthers the song’s ‘live’ feel. Passages of spoken word outlining the history of disco (during which the whole track slows down and adopts a hushed tone) are interspersed with this frenetic backing track. Mesmerising.

“Instant Crush” features Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, and sounds like what the Strokes’ latest album could’ve sounded like if the rest of the band didn’t hate the 70s so much. Casablancas is predictably mournful but his voice is pitch-shifted upwards and sounds as though it has been pieced back together slightly out of sequence, lending the song a jagged, disjointed sound that perfectly suits its mood.

The two tracks featuring Pharrell are brilliant. “Lose Yourself To Dance” has a beat that’ll see your toes tapping and shoulders jerking as you listen to it on the bus, and the ubiquitous “Get Lucky” is a perfect synthesis of every classic disco song ever made. It’s on these two songs that Nile Rogers’ pure funk shines through. “Doin’ It Right” featuring Panda Bear (from Animal Collective) is infectious: the song starts with the robots’ voices, slowly adding a tapping cymbal, followed by the snare and bass drums. It’s the only song that feels truly processed.

The main criticism of ‘Random Access Memories’ seems to be that Daft Punk has not made a Daft Punk album. Some hard-core fans long for the harsher electronica of the duo’s earlier work, and don’t really like the way we can actually sing along to these songs. There’s no denying that songs like “Da Funk,” “Around The World,” and “Harder Better Faster Stronger” were beautiful. They had a coarse, sparse, circular quality but in my opinion, grew tiresome after a few listens. “Random Access Memories” is a more conventional album of ‘normal’ songs. While it’s going to turn off some fans, it’s definitely going to allow the duo to win a new audience–an audience that I’m proudly part of. Plain and simple, Daft Punk have made a brilliant album. It is a piece of art that should be treasured, listened to repeatedly, remixed and covered by every bedroom virtuoso in the world.
  93. May 22, 2013
    Daft Punk went on by a different and more difficult way !And in my opinion this succeed It is something that comes back to the roots and during the entire album has a history and a sense. It is not an album that people will love at the first listening. But when you enter the story it becomes more and more addicted...to the sound. I do not give a 10 because a thing the album it a bit too long But ...definitely something fresh Expand
  94. May 23, 2013
    Absolutely gem of an album. It's lush, upbeat, emotional, exciting all at once. I listen to it in the morning and in the evening and then just about @all other times. This is what disco music should be and this is what will be relevant even a decade from now.

Hard to pick favorites but I love Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush, Doin' It Right, Beyond, Lose Yourself to Dance... I really
    could go on

The likes of Madonna need to work with artists as Daft Punk to take their talent to the next level.
  95. May 24, 2013
    I've seen a lot of people saying "Emperor's New Clothes", but that story has no place here. He was naked, and this album is certainly not. Compared to most modern Dance Albums, this is wearing a thick coat. So much detail has gone into this album, so much more than other Daft Punk albums. One More time is the only Daft Punk song that doesn't rely heavily on samples. Which isn't me insulting daft punk, they created the whole dance sample thing to a degree, but this album proves their talent. Each Song except maybe two, are very unique and can stand alone, however as a package it works so well. The grandeur in this album almost places it in a soundtrack position, and it wouldn't go amiss in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Which is a huge compliment musically.

Be aware however, i grew up under my dad who was part of the Disco era, and thus may be biased due to what i have listened to throughout my life.

That said, give it a listen, first album for a long time I have been able to just listen to throughout without wanting to skip.

Stand Out songs;
    Instant Crush
    Get Lucky
    Giorgio By Moroder
    Doin it Right
    Touch
  96. May 24, 2013
    Daft Punk's RAM is a bit of an enigma. I've decided to call it Disco Prog. There's a lot going on here. After repeated listens, it's obviously an Album (with a capital 'A') meant to be listened to in full, in one stretch, to fully appreciate. And not just for the excellent production, which is top-notch, warm and inviting, but also for the musicianship and sequencing; winsome and melancholic in places, upbeat and breathtaking in others, it slowly builds throughout to the epic, soaring closer, "Contact". I think by now it's well understood (for both revelers and detractors) that RAM is not at all expected, and yet, ultimately, all the better for it.

Highlights include: "Instant Crush," "Giorgio By Moroder", "Motherboard" "Doin' It Right" and, last, but certainly not least, "Contact". A few tracks (e.g. "Within", "Beyond"), while not quite as special by themselves, easily find their charm in sequence among the whole.
  97. May 25, 2013
    Don't walk away from this album just because it's not the rhythmic EDM masterpiece that everyone said the album would be.

This album is different. I agree, it's not our usual daft punk, but this album does a great job at what it does. Not only is it Daft Punk's thank you to the genre that opened so many doors for EDM today, but it's also a story of the duo getting in touch with a more
    human side of their music.

Overall, I really appreciate this compilation of music. Admittedly, I don't enjoy every song on the album as much as most of their previous music, but I agree with the critic that said along the lines, it's an important part in Daft Punk's music making legacy.
  98. May 27, 2013
    Random Access Memories is Daft Punk;s fourth studio album and this time the electric dance duo tries something quite different then anything they have ever released. After dropping the perfect single Get Lucky" fans went wild within minutes the whole world knew about this new album and everyone and their mothers were anticipating it. Finally the album dropped for the whole world to listen and like millions of others i decided to give it a listen and i have got to say i love it and would really like to see Daft Punk take this new sound a grow on it. This album is super fun to listen to and is full of new sounds and new genre experimentation from genres like Jazz, Soul, Funk, and more, However it may sound different but it;s still Daft Punk and that;s why so many people love it. The opening rack Give Life Back to Music" is the best way to begin this album. It just makes you think and it makes you want to give your life to music. i also loved "Giorgio by Moroder" which has a an awesome beginning it really keeps you listening when the music slowly builds to the end of the speech and then it kicks and thats when i really start to enjoy this track. Another favorite track of mine is "Doin' it Right" probably my favorite track on this record it;s just so catchy and has a super cool beat with beautiful vocals. The song "Contact" is a incredible way to end the record and makes you wish more tracks were like it on this record. If this album had more songs like "Get Lucky" and Doin' it Right" and less of tracks like "Game of Love" and "Within" this album would've been perfect. Overall this album is amazing and a highlight of 2013. i give it a solid 9 out of 10 Expand
  99. Jun 3, 2013
    This album has been a long time coming and Daft Punk doesn't disappoint. Like a tossed salad, all the sounds of the past 50 years are beautifully mixed throughout the entire album. Disco. Swing. 80s. Techno. R&B. You name the genre, it probably has it.

I don't know if I remember the last time each track in an album sounded so different from the others. I'd personally prefer a bit more
    electronic sounds, but overall, a great album. Expand
  100. Jun 1, 2013
    ‘Get Lucky’ the first single and perfect earworm from ‘Random Access Memories’ grabbed me instantly and wouldn’t let go, I championed it to everyone I knew advising them to ‘get on board as it will get you in the end anyway’. I couldn’t wait for the album and then I heard it. The first time I listened to the record was when it streamed on ITunes I had high expectations and was thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed. The second time I was walking home at night in the rain and still reeling from the fact it didn’t contain 13 songs anything like ‘Get Lucky’ I was yet again left thinking what the hell is this MOR Avant jazz rubbish. A few friends had already got the album and kept telling me to give it one more go but I was hesitant on wasting yet more time on something that I couldn’t see ever getting. And so the third listen was in the garden and in the sunshine, glass of wine in hand as background music until I realised I was actually being drawn to it, it was forcing its way into the foreground, I was hearing things I’d clearly missed before like strange time signatures and chord changes hidden in the songs in plain sight. How the hell had I missed all this the first few times? It suddenly dropped and I couldn’t believe how good it actually was, I had to keep listening over and over again. I’m still listening. ‘Give Life Back To Music’ with its robot voice and disco beat, ‘Giorgio by Moroder’ with its spoken word story before kicking in with its ferocious live drumming and strange sounds, the eighties feel of ‘Instant Crush’ with the Strokes Julian Casablancas on vocals, the Television sitcom theme style of ‘Fragments of Time’, the closer ‘Contact’ which builds to a glorious crescendo there is so much here to love. Daft Punk have somehow taken influence from every decade in pop and made it into something new, as Alexis Petridis said you think the songs sound like something else until you go to your record collection to try and find it and cant. Now all of the songs are in my head fighting to be the one I catch myself humming or singing and at any point I’m never sure which one will win out. I’m so glad I stuck this this record and eventually succumbed to its power because if I hadn’t I wouldn’t now be in love with its oddly perfect pop genius. Try it and if you don’t like it try it again, try a few times in the sunshine and eventually I’m sure when you have the moment where it clicks you will, like me, be pleasantly surprised. Expand

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.