Random Spirit Lover - Sunset Rubdown
9.4

Review this album

1. Jul 11, 2013
    I must say that it has been a long road for me to finally come around listening to Sunset Rubdown (and Wolf Parade for that matter), and I must say I am very impressed. This album is a beast to challenge no doubt. It is lengthy, perhaps a bit "proggy" in its pace anyhow, and downright complex and swirling for the most part. Its just amazing to me that heading into my twelfth or so listen there is still so much to uncover here, both in terms of melodies and downright amazing musicianship. Spencer Krug, after years of distant, uneducated, and vague disdain of his work, I can now proudly admit myself a convert. He's a brilliant songwriter, composer, etc...and this album is downright addicting and intoxicating if given the proper time and patience. Expand

1. With twelve songs running just about an hour in length, Random Spirit Lover really starts to wear out its welcome during the latter third to quarter. Fans of their past work will definitely find lots to love here, and they will likely gain a few converts, but I still wish they'd focus a bit more.
  2. It bears all the signs of an artistic statement, stretching for meaning even as it reconstitutes and tears at the corners of its component definitions. It is both complete and incomplete; logical and wayward; good and, yeah, bad.
  3. As with so many of rock's finer moments, the beauty’s in the overreach, and while newcomers to Krug’s idiosyncratic style may find it easier to warm to the more accessible leanings of the Wolf Parade record, for everyone else, this is essential stuff.