Raymond v. Raymond

7.0

Review this album

1. UptonK
    Apr 12, 2010
    For a dude who can really sing he has sure managed to put together a cd of garbage. Everything sounds like they are trying way too hard to have a hit single. An over-produced mess without one solid song.

1. The sleek dancefloor track “So Many Girls,” one of a few songs in which Usher sounds dead in the eyes, going through the motions, desensitized by the bounty of women at his feet, is followed by the sarcastically titled “Guilty,” where he whines “I guess I’m guilty for wanting to be up in the club” — which warrants a response like “Yes, attached 31-year-old man, that’s correct.” A few songs before that is a quasi-redemptive ballad “Foolin’ Around”; he humbles himself, seems to take responsibility for his actions, then casually drops “Guess that’s just the man in me, blame it on celebrity.”
  2. Raymond v. Raymond, his latest release, is something else entirely: an album ostensibly about divorce but too timid to explore the subject in all its complexities.
  3. The boilerplate swagger is balanced by the falsetto sweetness of “There Goes My Baby.” And a couple of songs actually live up to the promise of the album title and its suggestion of a more emotionally complex Usher.