Rings Around The World - Super Furry Animals
9.1

Review this album

1. May 3, 2011
    I'll make one thing clear, this album isn't musically perfect. However, I rated this album so highly based on the ridiclousness of it. It's fun to listen to and that is something that's not heard often in music. Listening to this album is an adventure, you don't know what comes next. Take No Sympathy for exmple, it's a soft folky song until half way when all of a sudden it's taken over byI'll make one thing clear, this album isn't musically perfect. However, I rated this album so highly based on the ridiclousness of it. It's fun to listen to and that is something that's not heard often in music. Listening to this album is an adventure, you don't know what comes next. Take No Sympathy for exmple, it's a soft folky song until half way when all of a sudden it's taken over by a wave of techno. I get so much satisfaction from listening to this album and I'm sure SFA had the greatest fun making an album like this. Sadly SFA lost much of this playfulness in their later albums Expand
  2. May 15, 2011
    genius i liked it a lot. it was one of the best albums of the decade. i liked maybe more than 2 songs on the album. good achievement. 9 out of 10 good alternative music.
  3. Oct 20, 2014
    This album has the most ridiculously **** musical concept I've ever heard of! An album containing progressive rock, trip hop, death metal, opera, punk, hardcore techno, thick Welsh accents, and 60's psych pop complete with Paul McCartney chewing celery (this band must love the Beach Boys)? HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY WORK?

Distressingly well, actually.

1. Rings Around the World might be stylistically all over the place, and some people may think it sounds like Super Furry Animals are desperately trying to show the world how clever they are, but it's so much fun to listen to, that it hardly matters. It's a near-perfect album, and we all should be thankful there are bands out there willing to throw everything they've got into a record just to see what happens.
  2. There's no doubt their musical literacy is impressive, but for every cliche it erases, Rings Around The World embraces two more. [May 2002, p.98]
  3. This is the first SFA album not to progress from its predecessor, or offer the shock of the new, and that's hard not to miss -- but, if this is the first SFA record you hear, it'll likely intrigue, even dazzle, with its kaleidoscopic blend of pop, prog, punk, psych and electronica.