Riot Act

• Release Date: Nov 12, 2002
8.2

Review this album

1. Mar 26, 2013
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every album is a new pearl jam DEFINITELY great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. StiniS
    Jan 8, 2003
    I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good edition to the band last album and tour, Vedder's (he's the opitamy of sexy) voice is classic, and to top it off Ament(he is also dead sexy) and Gossard are great musicians also. Good product after 12 years, they will go down as one of the greatest rock bands ever! Expand
  3. henrikt
    a milestone
  4. eddieo
    Nov 20, 2002
    The more I listen to it, the better it gets. This is a must have, great album with a great mix of sounds and songs. Im so glad Pearl Jam keeps doing it their way because to my ears it doesnt get much better...
  5. ErwinK
    Dec 2, 2002
    When will these dinosaurs die?
  6. evemarie
    Jan 10, 2003
    Critics! Thank god intelligent people, who can think for themselves, know what their opinion is worth! I can't wait for the day when they are seen as the waste of time they are.
  7. JerryJ
    Jan 6, 2003
    Pearl Jam is the best band period. Who wouldn't like "Save You" it reminds me of "Do the Evolution" all over again.. Thank you guys.. Keep on rockin'!!!!
  8. JonvanD
    Mar 17, 2003
    Never seem to be able to pull it out of my car cd-changer! Love-boat captain is the best song in years, the impact it made to me is comparable with Corduroy.
  9. BillJ
    Mar 6, 2003
    A big surprise. I was hooked on Binatural since its release. Then Riot Act came on the scene. Its all I've listened to since Nov. 02. This is quality rock. Powerful. Put a lot of other music to shame.
  10. PaulH
    Jul 3, 2005
    Boring, that's the only word I can think of when I think of this Album and Pearl Jam's Career since their first two albums.
  11. danielg
    Sep 9, 2005
    instead they might made the album a little more short, some of the best melodies, lirycs and riff ever hear from this seattle' band. seen as a clousure, waitting for a new fresh sound.
  12. AllenG
    Nov 17, 2002
    Yes, I think Riot Act is an great album. And of course I could have gone for the PJ of the past to belt out another antem comparale to State of Love and Trust or Betterman. Still I am satisfied with tracks such as Green Disease and Save You. With Binagural a thing of the past, take this oppurtunity to purchase a real Pearl album. You won't regret it!
  13. zorang
    Nov 19, 2002
    Simply great. A lot of power, a lot of mood.
  14. Csmith
    Nov 20, 2002
    Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the challenge or letting it hang out. I'm all of evolution, aren't you? Expand
  15. ScottH
    Nov 20, 2002
    It seems that everyone refers to the time of Pearl Jam's first few albums as the band's glory days. And that any effort not matching the style they had then is lackluster. Riot Act is original and varies from moody to energetic to rockin' to mellow. It's a great album by a great band.
  16. AdamE
    Nov 21, 2002
    One of Pearl Jam's best albums. Some songs really rock! Of course some aren't worth listening to but overall a very good album!
  17. JulianoT.B
    Nov 27, 2002
    Critics are all wrong! Once again, Pearl Jam proves to be the best band ever. Even in Brazil! Adeus!
  18. RyanE
    Dec 11, 2002
    Like all great works of art this album gets better and better with time. I just witnessed 4 shows held here in Seattle and the new tracks sounded incredible. Fuck the Rolling Stone reviewer - those guys are no longer a credible rock n roll magazine... They can push the boy bands and rap crap ... I'll choose something with substance.
  19. closer
    Dec 10, 2002
    Since Yield, they sound almost the same.. but it's top quality sound!
  20. CoreyJ
    Dec 1, 2002
    Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback no longer exist !!! Expand
  21. Fish
    Jan 8, 2003
    Pearl jam sounds like they made it out of the studio and had something to actually say on (riot act). Pearl jam's 'riot act' hits any mood your in- like all the previous albums. This album belongs after 'No Code', but now its here i can take a deep breath...thanks Vedder!
  22. revellm
    Feb 11, 2003
    "I am mine" is one of the greatest pj tracks I have heard in years.I find myself continuosly pressing "repeat" on this track. The rest of the album reminds me of developments on the thematic ideas that we were introduced to on "vitalogy". PJ will be the Rolling Stones of the 90's. Like a good wine, pj gets better with age.
  23. LeeR
    Feb 8, 2003
    Still waiting for another TEN, but this is good once it grows on you. Which is why PJ are the best.
  24. Tim
    Jun 17, 2003
    It becomes very sad when a band refuses to quit although they're past their prime. The album is full of mostly boring songs aside from a few. Stand out Tracks: I Am Mine, Save You, Bushleager.
  25. BuckD
    Jul 12, 2003
    Some great gems (Save You, Help, Can't Keep) but not the overall quality we've come to expect. As consolation, this year's live tour, by all accounts, seems to somehow be even better than previous tours.
  26. JasonK.
    Oct 22, 2005
    It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is NOW exposed to glamour and attention, Eddie Vedder didn't lose his anti-glam look and lyrical genius. Expand
  27. BrianB
    Jun 25, 2005
    One of the best albums ever.
  28. DrewK
    Sep 13, 2005
    I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan who has every album and has seen the band live multiple times, so it pains me to rate a PJ album this low. This is PJ's first mediocre/bad record. Binaural wasn't great due to shoddy production, but it least it had good songs on it. Some of these songs actually make me feel embarrassed for the band. Nowhere close to their masterpieces Vitalogy and I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan who has every album and has seen the band live multiple times, so it pains me to rate a PJ album this low. This is PJ's first mediocre/bad record. Binaural wasn't great due to shoddy production, but it least it had good songs on it. Some of these songs actually make me feel embarrassed for the band. Nowhere close to their masterpieces Vitalogy and No Code. Maybe it really is time to call it quits? Expand
  29. RiotAct
    Mar 3, 2006
    Great, dark and mature album. logical step from this great band. I just hope that they'll continue to creat great music. Some of you who rated this album should grow up! Strongly recommended.
  30. joeh
    May 2, 2006
    not bubble gum for sure, you gotta listen to the music and explore it. all pearl jam listens are a difficult listen at first, then they all at once consume you and it becomes the gospel.

1. Q Magazine
    An adult rock record in which nuance succeeds over bombast. [Dec 2002, p.108]
  2. Uncut
    A couple of songs could do with more melody and less of Mike McCready's spidery guitar breaks. [Dec 2002, p.132]
  3. Eddie's heartfelt lyrics rarely cohere... [but their] grooves still sound taut, emotive, and world-class.