• Record Label: Sony
  • Release Date: Nov 12, 2002
8.3

Review this album

1. Mar 26, 2013
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every album is a new pearl jam DEFINITELY great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. joeh
    May 2, 2006
    not bubble gum for sure, you gotta listen to the music and explore it. all pearl jam listens are a difficult listen at first, then they all at once consume you and it becomes the gospel.
  3. RiotAct
    Mar 3, 2006
    Great, dark and mature album. logical step from this great band. I just hope that they'll continue to creat great music. Some of you who rated this album should grow up! Strongly recommended.
  4. JasonK.
    Oct 22, 2005
    It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is NOW exposed to glamour and attention, Eddie Vedder didn't lose his anti-glam look and lyrical genius. Expand
  5. miguelz
    Sep 21, 2005
    es muy bueno muchas gracias
  6. BrianB
    Jun 25, 2005
    One of the best albums ever.
  7. ParkerL
    Mar 23, 2005
    This album is very, very strong. I just sense a sort of darkness whenever I listen to it. I believe this is one of their most important albums since Ten.
  8. SteveS
    Jan 28, 2005
    Judged amongst other PJ records, I would rate this one middle of the pack. Highlights include Save you, I am Mine, 1/2 full, All or none. This record sounds much better live but is still better than most other bands.
  9. MikeS
    Aug 18, 2004
    This album rocks! I don't understand why it is so underrated and underappreciated. I loved it the first time I heard it and continue to like it more and more. I think it's a terrific comeback album for them as it is much stronger than binaural. Don't beleive the (negative) hype!
  10. SamuelF
    Oct 13, 2003
    Simply fantastic... The greatest since vitalogy and ten.
  11. JonvanD
    Mar 17, 2003
    Never seem to be able to pull it out of my car cd-changer! Love-boat captain is the best song in years, the impact it made to me is comparable with Corduroy.
  12. BillJ
    Mar 6, 2003
    A big surprise. I was hooked on Binatural since its release. Then Riot Act came on the scene. Its all I've listened to since Nov. 02. This is quality rock. Powerful. Put a lot of other music to shame.
  13. revellm
    Feb 11, 2003
    "I am mine" is one of the greatest pj tracks I have heard in years.I find myself continuosly pressing "repeat" on this track. The rest of the album reminds me of developments on the thematic ideas that we were introduced to on "vitalogy". PJ will be the Rolling Stones of the 90's. Like a good wine, pj gets better with age.
  14. LeeR
    Feb 8, 2003
    Still waiting for another TEN, but this is good once it grows on you. Which is why PJ are the best.
  15. evemarie
    Jan 10, 2003
    Critics! Thank god intelligent people, who can think for themselves, know what their opinion is worth! I can't wait for the day when they are seen as the waste of time they are.
  16. Fish
    Jan 8, 2003
    Pearl jam sounds like they made it out of the studio and had something to actually say on (riot act). Pearl jam's 'riot act' hits any mood your in- like all the previous albums. This album belongs after 'No Code', but now its here i can take a deep breath...thanks Vedder!
  17. StiniS
    Jan 8, 2003
    I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good edition to the band last album and tour, Vedder's (he's the opitamy of sexy) voice is classic, and to top it off Ament(he is also dead sexy) and Gossard are great musicians also. Good product after 12 years, they will go down as one of the greatest rock bands ever! Expand
  18. JerryJ
    Jan 6, 2003
    Pearl Jam is the best band period. Who wouldn't like "Save You" it reminds me of "Do the Evolution" all over again.. Thank you guys.. Keep on rockin'!!!!
  19. JoshW
    Dec 23, 2002
    I can't stop listening to this album. It gets better with each listen, a true mark of a classic album. Happy Birthday Eddie!
  20. glennw
    Dec 17, 2002
    very different but very good, like all pj albums, exciting and memorable!!!
  21. geoffw
    Dec 14, 2002
    Pearl Jam still remain on top with their amazing talent. Riot act is definately the album of the year!
  22. dogpile
    Dec 11, 2002
    the best jerry... the best
  23. RyanE
    Dec 11, 2002
    Like all great works of art this album gets better and better with time. I just witnessed 4 shows held here in Seattle and the new tracks sounded incredible. Fuck the Rolling Stone reviewer - those guys are no longer a credible rock n roll magazine... They can push the boy bands and rap crap ... I'll choose something with substance.
  24. michellew
    Dec 9, 2002
    Sorry Mr. Harris, but I think your a bit off on this one. The music industry has gone to the dogs. It's nice to see a band that keeps it real despite the commercialism that is called music today. We don't need another rock band that feels like they have to act 18 or be plastered all over MTV to keep up. Pearl Jam is secure, and their music is the best it's ever been. If Sorry Mr. Harris, but I think your a bit off on this one. The music industry has gone to the dogs. It's nice to see a band that keeps it real despite the commercialism that is called music today. We don't need another rock band that feels like they have to act 18 or be plastered all over MTV to keep up. Pearl Jam is secure, and their music is the best it's ever been. If they were like 99.99% of the new bands today they would take a negative review and try to comeback with a commercial hit the typical contrived rock-star look, but thank God for bands like PJ that don't have to sink that low to find confidence in their art. Expand
  25. CoreyJ
    Dec 1, 2002
    Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback no longer exist !!! Expand
  26. Priscila
    Nov 30, 2002
    It's the best album of the last years.
  27. DarrenR
    Nov 27, 2002
    A solid album that just keeps getting better with each listen... the mark of a truly great album.
  28. JulianoT.B
    Nov 27, 2002
    Critics are all wrong! Once again, Pearl Jam proves to be the best band ever. Even in Brazil! Adeus!
  29. Cjdean
    Nov 26, 2002
    this album rocks listen twice and the experience of a great rock band will sink in
  30. rachelg
    Nov 24, 2002
    pearl jam. amazing. eddie vedder. God. brilliant, fvcking brilliant. nader for president, fvck bush, the beatles are right, all you need is love. Every single album had been fvcking amazing. and so the tradition coninues. you name it, they've done it: from the TOTD days to the Ten days, to No Code... the greatest american band in the world.
  31. LarzS
    Nov 21, 2002
    It IS great - just remembering the days i needed TEN - and now, years older I respect and like the way they got their way and still hit me... "love is a tower" - hey, they hits deep inside like Alive did somewhen. So - keep on listening Temple Of The Dog on XMas again ;) ...
  32. TonyR
    Nov 21, 2002
    Best album of the year, once again prove they are the best band over the past ten years.
  33. craigc
    Nov 20, 2002
    it rocks. fuck the haters.
  34. ScottH
    Nov 20, 2002
    It seems that everyone refers to the time of Pearl Jam's first few albums as the band's glory days. And that any effort not matching the style they had then is lackluster. Riot Act is original and varies from moody to energetic to rockin' to mellow. It's a great album by a great band.
  35. eddieo
    Nov 20, 2002
    The more I listen to it, the better it gets. This is a must have, great album with a great mix of sounds and songs. Im so glad Pearl Jam keeps doing it their way because to my ears it doesnt get much better...
  36. henrikt
    a milestone
  37. Csmith
    Nov 20, 2002
    Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the challenge or letting it hang out. I'm all of evolution, aren't you? Expand
  38. Nocode
    Nov 19, 2002
    Riot Act is... 1) turbulent disturbance created by a large number of people(Fans and Critics) 2)An unrestrained outbreak, of passions.(good Lyrics and new creative music) From my perspective as a critic..its a good album but..i now and everybody nows that ed can sing way a lot better (that is the real difference between Ten and this act) but still its a good album that takes more than one Riot Act is... 1) turbulent disturbance created by a large number of people(Fans and Critics) 2)An unrestrained outbreak, of passions.(good Lyrics and new creative music) From my perspective as a critic..its a good album but..i now and everybody nows that ed can sing way a lot better (that is the real difference between Ten and this act) but still its a good album that takes more than one lisenting to aprecieate how good it is. but is good way lot better than Binaural Expand
  39. zorang
    Nov 19, 2002
    Simply great. A lot of power, a lot of mood.
  40. MarcoF
    Nov 18, 2002
    I believe this is a great album. The guys have really evolved from their early " Ten" years and have put their heart and sould into this new album. Pearl Jam is an amzing band and they have never disappointed me yet. There are some classic songs on this album that we will be hearing for decades to come. keep on Rocking guys. The true PJ fans are with you.
  41. AllenG
    Nov 17, 2002
    Yes, I think Riot Act is an great album. And of course I could have gone for the PJ of the past to belt out another antem comparale to State of Love and Trust or Betterman. Still I am satisfied with tracks such as Green Disease and Save You. With Binagural a thing of the past, take this oppurtunity to purchase a real Pearl album. You won't regret it!
    Nov 12, 2002
    After listening to the album a couple times, and taking in all the music, i've come to the conclusion that this album is great. Pearl Jam has really matured with this CD and I think that anyone who likes Pearl Jam and isnt afraid of some change should like this album. I liked the last CD, but not that much. I think this one is much better.

1. An adult rock record in which nuance succeeds over bombast. [Dec 2002, p.108]
    A couple of songs could do with more melody and less of Mike McCready's spidery guitar breaks. [Dec 2002, p.132]
  3. Eddie's heartfelt lyrics rarely cohere... [but their] grooves still sound taut, emotive, and world-class.