Riot Act

• Release Date: Nov 12, 2002
8.2

Review this album

1. Feb 19, 2012
    'Ghost' remains my least favourite Pearl Jam track of all time (yes I preferred Bugs!), however, among the poorly political statements here there are some melancholic and incredible tracks with 'Love Boat Captain' and 'I Am Mine' keeping some consistency. Unfortunately with the inclusion of 'Arc' I am certain many die-hard fans like myself thought it a punch in the face when Vedder's voice'Ghost' remains my least favourite Pearl Jam track of all time (yes I preferred Bugs!), however, among the poorly political statements here there are some melancholic and incredible tracks with 'Love Boat Captain' and 'I Am Mine' keeping some consistency. Unfortunately with the inclusion of 'Arc' I am certain many die-hard fans like myself thought it a punch in the face when Vedder's voice is still capable of soaring so well. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every album is a new pearl jam DEFINITELY great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Jun 30, 2012
    The band clearly showing a mid-age slump with a very normal album. Nothing to get too excited about but a decent album. Love Boat Captain and Thumbing My Way showing good melodically structured songs
  4. StiniS
    Jan 8, 2003
    I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good I think it's amazing for a band to put out such great albums time after time. I don't think they've put out a bad album, some are just even better than the others which are great. Riot Act is filled with great songs: Save you, I Am Mine, All or None. .. Probably my 3 favorites.The point is the writing is good, the guitars are awesome (McCready is bad@$$), Cameron was a good edition to the band last album and tour, Vedder's (he's the opitamy of sexy) voice is classic, and to top it off Ament(he is also dead sexy) and Gossard are great musicians also. Good product after 12 years, they will go down as one of the greatest rock bands ever! Expand
  5. henrikt
    a milestone
  6. eddieo
    Nov 20, 2002
    The more I listen to it, the better it gets. This is a must have, great album with a great mix of sounds and songs. Im so glad Pearl Jam keeps doing it their way because to my ears it doesnt get much better...
  7. ErwinK
    Dec 2, 2002
    When will these dinosaurs die?
  8. evemarie
    Jan 10, 2003
    Critics! Thank god intelligent people, who can think for themselves, know what their opinion is worth! I can't wait for the day when they are seen as the waste of time they are.
  9. JerryJ
    Jan 6, 2003
    Pearl Jam is the best band period. Who wouldn't like "Save You" it reminds me of "Do the Evolution" all over again.. Thank you guys.. Keep on rockin'!!!!
  10. JonvanD
    Mar 17, 2003
    Never seem to be able to pull it out of my car cd-changer! Love-boat captain is the best song in years, the impact it made to me is comparable with Corduroy.
  11. BillJ
    Mar 6, 2003
    A big surprise. I was hooked on Binatural since its release. Then Riot Act came on the scene. Its all I've listened to since Nov. 02. This is quality rock. Powerful. Put a lot of other music to shame.
  12. PaulH
    Jul 3, 2005
    Boring, that's the only word I can think of when I think of this Album and Pearl Jam's Career since their first two albums.
  13. danielg
    Sep 9, 2005
    instead they might made the album a little more short, some of the best melodies, lirycs and riff ever hear from this seattle' band. seen as a clousure, waitting for a new fresh sound.
  14. AllenG
    Nov 17, 2002
    Yes, I think Riot Act is an great album. And of course I could have gone for the PJ of the past to belt out another antem comparale to State of Love and Trust or Betterman. Still I am satisfied with tracks such as Green Disease and Save You. With Binagural a thing of the past, take this oppurtunity to purchase a real Pearl album. You won't regret it!
  15. zorang
    Nov 19, 2002
    Simply great. A lot of power, a lot of mood.
  16. Csmith
    Nov 20, 2002
    Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the Absolutely incredible. the rolling stone reviewer is full of $hit. This album is seamless, and enjoyable to all with a trained ear. Everyone who wants to hear another Ten or Vs. needs to evolve a little bit. If PJ was still playing that way, we'd probably look at them like we look at GNR or Motley Crue. Perpetually seeking comfort in a known musical formula, never seeking the challenge or letting it hang out. I'm all of evolution, aren't you? Expand
  17. ScottH
    Nov 20, 2002
    It seems that everyone refers to the time of Pearl Jam's first few albums as the band's glory days. And that any effort not matching the style they had then is lackluster. Riot Act is original and varies from moody to energetic to rockin' to mellow. It's a great album by a great band.
  18. AdamE
    Nov 21, 2002
    One of Pearl Jam's best albums. Some songs really rock! Of course some aren't worth listening to but overall a very good album!
  19. JulianoT.B
    Nov 27, 2002
    Critics are all wrong! Once again, Pearl Jam proves to be the best band ever. Even in Brazil! Adeus!
  20. RyanE
    Dec 11, 2002
    Like all great works of art this album gets better and better with time. I just witnessed 4 shows held here in Seattle and the new tracks sounded incredible. Fuck the Rolling Stone reviewer - those guys are no longer a credible rock n roll magazine... They can push the boy bands and rap crap ... I'll choose something with substance.
  21. closer
    Dec 10, 2002
    Since Yield, they sound almost the same.. but it's top quality sound!
  22. CoreyJ
    Dec 1, 2002
    Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback Its a great cd... By far best in the last three albums.. Not hard to do.. But still great... Save you is quality... I am mine is a wonderful song.. Love boat captain is great... Thumbing my way is quality... I have a tough time seeing anyone rating this lower then 7... The day pearl jam critics realize that their old stuff is gone.. their new stuff rocks.. is the day CREED and Nickleback no longer exist !!! Expand
  23. Fish
    Jan 8, 2003
    Pearl jam sounds like they made it out of the studio and had something to actually say on (riot act). Pearl jam's 'riot act' hits any mood your in- like all the previous albums. This album belongs after 'No Code', but now its here i can take a deep breath...thanks Vedder!
  24. revellm
    Feb 11, 2003
    "I am mine" is one of the greatest pj tracks I have heard in years.I find myself continuosly pressing "repeat" on this track. The rest of the album reminds me of developments on the thematic ideas that we were introduced to on "vitalogy". PJ will be the Rolling Stones of the 90's. Like a good wine, pj gets better with age.
  25. LeeR
    Feb 8, 2003
    Still waiting for another TEN, but this is good once it grows on you. Which is why PJ are the best.
  26. Tim
    Jun 17, 2003
    It becomes very sad when a band refuses to quit although they're past their prime. The album is full of mostly boring songs aside from a few. Stand out Tracks: I Am Mine, Save You, Bushleager.
  27. BuckD
    Jul 12, 2003
    Some great gems (Save You, Help, Can't Keep) but not the overall quality we've come to expect. As consolation, this year's live tour, by all accounts, seems to somehow be even better than previous tours.
  28. JasonK.
    Oct 22, 2005
    It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is It certainly does not produce the grunge rock vibes that I used to feel in their early days, in-fact it's something totally different, a bit more mature, more classy, more suave. This is not what I had come to expect from Pearl Jam, as it is a whole lot better from a lyrical point of view. Unlike Chris Cornell (former Soundgarden front man and current frontman of Audioslave) who is NOW exposed to glamour and attention, Eddie Vedder didn't lose his anti-glam look and lyrical genius. Expand
  29. BrianB
    Jun 25, 2005
    One of the best albums ever.
  30. DrewK
    Sep 13, 2005
    I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan who has every album and has seen the band live multiple times, so it pains me to rate a PJ album this low. This is PJ's first mediocre/bad record. Binaural wasn't great due to shoddy production, but it least it had good songs on it. Some of these songs actually make me feel embarrassed for the band. Nowhere close to their masterpieces Vitalogy and I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan who has every album and has seen the band live multiple times, so it pains me to rate a PJ album this low. This is PJ's first mediocre/bad record. Binaural wasn't great due to shoddy production, but it least it had good songs on it. Some of these songs actually make me feel embarrassed for the band. Nowhere close to their masterpieces Vitalogy and No Code. Maybe it really is time to call it quits? Expand
  31. RiotAct
    Mar 3, 2006
    Great, dark and mature album. logical step from this great band. I just hope that they'll continue to creat great music. Some of you who rated this album should grow up! Strongly recommended.
  32. joeh
    May 2, 2006
    not bubble gum for sure, you gotta listen to the music and explore it. all pearl jam listens are a difficult listen at first, then they all at once consume you and it becomes the gospel.
  33. brodiep
    Nov 18, 2002
    Its a very solid album.. i really like every song on it and will be listening to it for a long time to come. But like the video for "I am Mine",(though its cool to see them finally make one..) your just left kinda wishing there was something more to it.
  34. craigc
    Nov 20, 2002
    it rocks. fuck the haters.
  35. rachelg
    Nov 24, 2002
    pearl jam. amazing. eddie vedder. God. brilliant, fvcking brilliant. nader for president, fvck bush, the beatles are right, all you need is love. Every single album had been fvcking amazing. and so the tradition coninues. you name it, they've done it: from the TOTD days to the Ten days, to No Code... the greatest american band in the world.
  36. Cjdean
    Nov 26, 2002
    this album rocks listen twice and the experience of a great rock band will sink in
  37. DarrenR
    Nov 27, 2002
    A solid album that just keeps getting better with each listen... the mark of a truly great album.
  38. Priscila
    Nov 30, 2002
    It's the best album of the last years.
  39. glennw
    Dec 17, 2002
    very different but very good, like all pj albums, exciting and memorable!!!
  40. michellew
    Dec 9, 2002
    Sorry Mr. Harris, but I think your a bit off on this one. The music industry has gone to the dogs. It's nice to see a band that keeps it real despite the commercialism that is called music today. We don't need another rock band that feels like they have to act 18 or be plastered all over MTV to keep up. Pearl Jam is secure, and their music is the best it's ever been. If Sorry Mr. Harris, but I think your a bit off on this one. The music industry has gone to the dogs. It's nice to see a band that keeps it real despite the commercialism that is called music today. We don't need another rock band that feels like they have to act 18 or be plastered all over MTV to keep up. Pearl Jam is secure, and their music is the best it's ever been. If they were like 99.99% of the new bands today they would take a negative review and try to comeback with a commercial hit the typical contrived rock-star look, but thank God for bands like PJ that don't have to sink that low to find confidence in their art. Expand
  41. SamuelF
    Oct 13, 2003
    Simply fantastic... The greatest since vitalogy and ten.
  42. MikeS
    Aug 18, 2004
    This album rocks! I don't understand why it is so underrated and underappreciated. I loved it the first time I heard it and continue to like it more and more. I think it's a terrific comeback album for them as it is much stronger than binaural. Don't beleive the (negative) hype!
  43. SteveS
    Jan 28, 2005
    Judged amongst other PJ records, I would rate this one middle of the pack. Highlights include Save you, I am Mine, 1/2 full, All or none. This record sounds much better live but is still better than most other bands.
  44. ParkerL
    Mar 23, 2005
    This album is very, very strong. I just sense a sort of darkness whenever I listen to it. I believe this is one of their most important albums since Ten.
  45. miguelz
    Sep 21, 2005
    es muy bueno muchas gracias
    Nov 12, 2002
    After listening to the album a couple times, and taking in all the music, i've come to the conclusion that this album is great. Pearl Jam has really matured with this CD and I think that anyone who likes Pearl Jam and isnt afraid of some change should like this album. I liked the last CD, but not that much. I think this one is much better.
  47. borneos
    Nov 13, 2002
    steaming pile. poor pearl jam
  48. PeterJ
    Nov 17, 2002
    I love Pearl Jam so it's always wonderful to hear new music by them. Can't wait to see them in concert in Sydney in February. I thought this was a decent album, though certainly not a 'Riot Act' as the title suggest. More a tale of importance of love than any political statement (except for one anti-Bush song). 'Love Boat Captain' has entered my top 10 Pearl I love Pearl Jam so it's always wonderful to hear new music by them. Can't wait to see them in concert in Sydney in February. I thought this was a decent album, though certainly not a 'Riot Act' as the title suggest. More a tale of importance of love than any political statement (except for one anti-Bush song). 'Love Boat Captain' has entered my top 10 Pearl Jam songs. Probably on a par with Binaural, but not as good as Yield, and certainly not up there with the eastern-inspired No Code. Expand
  49. MarcoF
    Nov 18, 2002
    I believe this is a great album. The guys have really evolved from their early " Ten" years and have put their heart and sould into this new album. Pearl Jam is an amzing band and they have never disappointed me yet. There are some classic songs on this album that we will be hearing for decades to come. keep on Rocking guys. The true PJ fans are with you.
  50. Nocode
    Nov 19, 2002
    Riot Act is... 1) turbulent disturbance created by a large number of people(Fans and Critics) 2)An unrestrained outbreak, of passions.(good Lyrics and new creative music) From my perspective as a critic..its a good album but..i now and everybody nows that ed can sing way a lot better (that is the real difference between Ten and this act) but still its a good album that takes more than one Riot Act is... 1) turbulent disturbance created by a large number of people(Fans and Critics) 2)An unrestrained outbreak, of passions.(good Lyrics and new creative music) From my perspective as a critic..its a good album but..i now and everybody nows that ed can sing way a lot better (that is the real difference between Ten and this act) but still its a good album that takes more than one lisenting to aprecieate how good it is. but is good way lot better than Binaural Expand
  51. TonyR
    Nov 21, 2002
    Best album of the year, once again prove they are the best band over the past ten years.
  52. LarzS
    Nov 21, 2002
    It IS great - just remembering the days i needed TEN - and now, years older I respect and like the way they got their way and still hit me... "love is a tower" - hey, they hits deep inside like Alive did somewhen. So - keep on listening Temple Of The Dog on XMas again ;) ...
  53. AlexY
    Nov 22, 2002
    I'm not really a fan of Pearl Jam's albums -- they are incredible performers, but I've never really liked an album all the way through. BUT this one...it's really pretty good! After the long hiatus, I thought they'd turn out a turkey, but it's fun, melodic, energetic, passonate and good music -- great perfomances by all involved. I've heard the I'm not really a fan of Pearl Jam's albums -- they are incredible performers, but I've never really liked an album all the way through. BUT this one...it's really pretty good! After the long hiatus, I thought they'd turn out a turkey, but it's fun, melodic, energetic, passonate and good music -- great perfomances by all involved. I've heard the criticisms about it being rooted in 70's type writing/guitar solos, etc. -- hey...this IS Rock and Roll. Expand
  54. dogpile
    Dec 11, 2002
    the best jerry... the best
  55. geoffw
    Dec 14, 2002
    Pearl Jam still remain on top with their amazing talent. Riot act is definately the album of the year!
  56. JoshW
    Dec 23, 2002
    I can't stop listening to this album. It gets better with each listen, a true mark of a classic album. Happy Birthday Eddie!
  57. kstanger
    Dec 26, 2002
    it is a muddy rendition of the musicality that any older fans of the band would be expecting. instead of evolving, they are taking the same and smearing it.
  58. purrjim
    Nov 23, 2004
    I never expect to like a cd after just one listen. After about 30 listens I hate to admit it, but this cd is a let down, a dissapointment. Where is the voice that carried me throught it and above it, even below, but never down?
  59. GuyH
    Apr 12, 2007
    Pearl Jam career arc: Ten (8), Vs (5), Vitalogy (8), No Code (6), Yield (5), Binaural (4), and this is where I give up! (2)
  60. AddlerS
    Dec 2, 2006
    Pearl Jam is the best American band. People who claim to like the band and not this record are STOOPID.
  61. DaveN
    Sep 22, 2006
    I like Pearl Jam. I really do despite my score. Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy were all brilliant records. Even the critically hated Yield was very good. Then No Code came out and I wanted to vomit. Binaurial didn't help that much as well. With Riot Act, Pearl Jam has succeeded in releasing three horrible albums in a row. I tried to get into this one. I listened to it for a week straight and I like Pearl Jam. I really do despite my score. Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy were all brilliant records. Even the critically hated Yield was very good. Then No Code came out and I wanted to vomit. Binaurial didn't help that much as well. With Riot Act, Pearl Jam has succeeded in releasing three horrible albums in a row. I tried to get into this one. I listened to it for a week straight and I still hated it. There are maybe 2 good tracks. Not great, good..barely good. The only reason it doesn't get a 2 or lower is because while its a bad CD, even horrible, it has a very slightly interesting side to it where if the band put more effort into it, it could have been a pretty good release. Expand
  62. KevinC
    Mar 18, 2007
    Pearl Jam is my favourite rock band, and although there are some good cuts on this album, I can't really give it any higher than a six. In my opinion, this is Pearl Jam's weakest album.
  63. Apr 7, 2014
    As a new Pearl Jam fan, I love this album. If you're new to Pearl Jam, I recommend this album, because it's one of my favorite Pearl Jam albums as of now, and I feel like it's high quality. Plus, 'I Am Mine' is a fantastic song :)

1. Q Magazine
    An adult rock record in which nuance succeeds over bombast. [Dec 2002, p.108]
  2. Uncut
    A couple of songs could do with more melody and less of Mike McCready's spidery guitar breaks. [Dec 2002, p.132]
  3. Eddie's heartfelt lyrics rarely cohere... [but their] grooves still sound taut, emotive, and world-class.