Room On Fire - The Strokes
8.5

Review this album

1. Nov 5, 2010
    7 years out and I'm going to write a review, just to bump this albums rating up. It's solid all the way through, Meet Me In The Bathroom is the only weak song, but the other 10 are all perfect in my mind. Just let some of them grow on you and you'll have this album as one of your new favourites.
  2. Feb 11, 2011
    The Strokes debut album Is This It redefined garage punk rock. But there second album Room On Fire was a slight disappointment. The songs aren't as catchy and they're not as vibrant as the tracks on their first album. But still nevertheless a good album. It had some really strong tracks and some really not so strong tracks. All In All, A little bit of a disappointment but still a good album. B
  3. Mar 30, 2011
    This was my first Strokes Album, I got it after hearing 1251; this album is just badass and you feel like a badass pumping it. I know it is NYC but it is too good not to like.
  4. Jun 1, 2011
    Room on Fire is great , i liked the musics from the band. One of my favorite on it is Reptillia, it has a great rhythm. Otherwise is cool and appealing.
  5. Jun 29, 2011
    The album is an amazing follow-up to their groundbreaking album Is This It, and fully lives up to the standard set up by their first album. Julian Casablancas' voice comes out in songs like "Automatic Stop" and blows other singers out of the water.
  6. Aug 31, 2011
    This album carried right on with the genius of Is This It with a few welcome changes. Every track is at least solid with one huge stand-out being What Ever Happened
  7. Nov 17, 2011
    A great follow up to Is This It. In my humble opinion, Is This It is better than Room on Fire. Highlights of the album include "Reptilia", "Automatic Stop", "12:51", "Between Love & Hate", "Under Control", "The End Has No End", and "I Can't Win".
  8. Dec 17, 2011
    Full of great tracks this is a really excellent album that hasn't really received the credit it deserves. If you haven't listened to it for a while give it another shot as there as some great tracks on it and very little filler.
  9. May 25, 2012
    The pressure was always going to be on with the follow up to their brilliant debut Is This It. Room on Fire isn't a complete triumph but it wasn't a bad effort either. It very much contiues where Is This It left off, similar songs, similar themes just not quite as brilliant. By far and away their 2nd best album. They seemed to run out of steam a bit after this one.
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    9.5/10, but I'm being generous considering this just might be the best band of the past 20 years. It's been described as being an "identical twin" to Is This It, but come on - that's bull. Where would "Reptilia", or "12:51", or "Under Control" fit in with their debut? Most of the songs bear a resemblance, of course; after all, this is a rock band writing rock songs, not some experimental9.5/10, but I'm being generous considering this just might be the best band of the past 20 years. It's been described as being an "identical twin" to Is This It, but come on - that's bull. Where would "Reptilia", or "12:51", or "Under Control" fit in with their debut? Most of the songs bear a resemblance, of course; after all, this is a rock band writing rock songs, not some experimental outfit at liberty to implement Siberian moaning and have critics go ga-ga over it. But really, the Strokes have matured as songwriters, and it shows. Both in musicianship and production, the band has really taken a leap forward. While the rawness and straight-up-rock aspect of Is This It was its polarizing force and claim to fame, Room on Fire refines that signature Strokes sound and also dips its feet in - could it be? - SOUL (yes, you read that correctly. Listen to "Between Love and Hate" and "Under Control" to see for yourself), as well as a more sad but equally melodic sound ("Automatic Stop", "The End Has No End"). Lead guitarist Nick Valensi pumps out some insane solos and lead parts ("Reptilia", etc.) that adds a whole new dynamic to the album, and Casablancas' vocals accompany this intensity but still retain their detachment. "Meet Me in the Bathroom" and "I Can't Win" are really the only songs that feel like they could truly belong to Is This It, but 2/11 ain't bad - especially when that album was one of the best debuts of the past 10 years. The only blunder on Room on Fire is "The Way It Is", in which mediocre songwriting is trying to be counteracted with pure volume. But one song doesn't really take much away from this experience; Room on Fire is an incredible follow-up to arguably the best debut of the 2000s, and is overlooked relative to its greatness more than any other album I've heard. Come on, the NYC "Saviors of Rock" deserve more than that. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2013
    Pretty much the same of 'Is This It' with more things to say, good but no so original.
    Some might say that is a copy of the first record, in matters of style, maybe, but its good as the first one.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    Room on Fire is an amazing sequel album. It continues with the raw energy and beautiful melodies and lyrics that Is This It had, but expands them with a bigger kick. It's a great sounding album with tons of powerful tunes.
  13. Aug 13, 2013
    I have never liked a album this much. Every album they make is great, but with this one they completely blew it out of the water. I'ts definitely my favorite album.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    [9.1] The Strokes are bitter, depressing, and unmistakably a train wreck of a band which they know perfectly well, and have no problem hiding it. Room On Fire does exactly that. In the most passively aggressive, restrained album that a suspected rock revival band could possibly make, The Strokes appeal only to those with low expectations. Room On Fire is designed to trap you, and I don't[9.1] The Strokes are bitter, depressing, and unmistakably a train wreck of a band which they know perfectly well, and have no problem hiding it. Room On Fire does exactly that. In the most passively aggressive, restrained album that a suspected rock revival band could possibly make, The Strokes appeal only to those with low expectations. Room On Fire is designed to trap you, and I don't know whether The Strokes do this intentionally or unintentionally, but it works pretty god damn well. If you listen to this album once, it's quite clear that there is only one radio friendly track. I beg of you, listen to this album more than once. You will eventually become trapped. Once you realize that the guitars are perfectly harmonized, the tedious drum beats are discretely catchy, and that this album is not a repeat of their first, you will become trapped. Their sound might seem plain, but once you think about it, who (with any knowledge of music) wouldn't recognize The Strokes? Now ten years after the release of this album, and after the release of three complete messes of albums (two of which I must say I did enjoy), this may seem far out of context, but it isn't. Room On Fire isn't just fluent, it is discretely nostalgic. The incredibly small change in production style is the difference between being in a boat or an airplane, a forest or a desert, a theater or a hallway. The environment is certainly different, but you don't notice that it changes the context of your conversations. Room On Fire is a miracle. It's completely careless music that, in reflection, is fully thoughtful. Expand

1. Jun 6, 2013
    [Casablancas] builds atmosphere out of evocative lyrics and emotional scenery, and he does it without leaning on linear narrative or songs with singular interpretations.
  2. In the face of hysterical expectation, the Strokes have resisted the temptation to hit the brakes, grow up and screw around with a sound that doesn't need fixing -- yet.
  3. The album is arguably better than the group's much-heralded debut, if by "better" we just mean more sonically impressive overall.