• Record Label: Domino
8.9

Review this album

1. TheAucklander
    Jun 9, 2003
    Lol. Had to laugh, my 10 y.o., on listening to the 1st track which I had d/l (just to sample the genre, y'understand) told me this was a bogus loop track & looked at me like I was mad when I told him "No, I think it's supposed to sound like that". So ... not for 10 year olds, but for the rest of us I can tell you this one really grows on you. Sure, it might start off at the Lol. Had to laugh, my 10 y.o., on listening to the 1st track which I had d/l (just to sample the genre, y'understand) told me this was a bogus loop track & looked at me like I was mad when I told him "No, I think it's supposed to sound like that". So ... not for 10 year olds, but for the rest of us I can tell you this one really grows on you. Sure, it might start off at the first tentative listen as a noise loop but give the thing a few spins and the pop sensibilities start to shine through. I don't give too many discs a 9 but I'll give this one a 9. It's worth your time. Expand
  2. EspenA
    Oct 8, 2003
    It's the fantastically misplaced guitar in "she moves she". It's the Underworldish "dirty epic", on and on and on feeling in "unspoken". It's the total absence of bass and the indie sound. Thank you for bringing back to life a genre that seemed to be dead in the water, almost killed by the boredom of uninspired samples and catchy tunes. You have made a believer out of me.
  3. JM
    Jun 1, 2003
    A remarkable album, and far from boring. It is electronic music with soul, warmth, and melody. I highly recommend this to anybody with a taste for something new.
  4. LawrenceP
    May 27, 2005
    Yes it is "as serious as your life". A must have in your collection.
  5. GerardJ
    Aug 1, 2007
    Beautiful. Do I need to say more?
  6. stavyys.
    May 9, 2003
    just plain boring :-( and without true emotions and fragility
  7. BryanC
    Nov 19, 2004
    Easy-listening laptop electronica. And rather disappointing in the context of the gushing reviews contained here. I'm a big fan of electronic music, IDM or whatever you call it and there are some good moments here but it?s not groundbreaking or challenging - merely nice. Maybe it sounds better in a car? Coming to a TV near you...
  8. KidA
    Jul 10, 2006
    Absolutely gorgeous
  9. NineInchAndy
    Apr 25, 2003
    I can forgive their brief car commercial stint... A decent album.
  10. Flawedbeing
    Jun 9, 2003
    One of those absolutely vital IDM albums that permanently leave an imprint on your mind, Rounds is a brilliant album composed of equally brilliant moments. Every one of the songs here is composed with a style that equally nods to Aphex Twin, trance, and an autumnal folk style that is absolutely unique to Rounds. About the only complaint that can be bandied about this album is that it One of those absolutely vital IDM albums that permanently leave an imprint on your mind, Rounds is a brilliant album composed of equally brilliant moments. Every one of the songs here is composed with a style that equally nods to Aphex Twin, trance, and an autumnal folk style that is absolutely unique to Rounds. About the only complaint that can be bandied about this album is that it doesn't stick around for long enough: during its running time it is pensive, melancholy, and hopeful, surprisingly managing to succeed at each without seeming overly stuffed. More than any Fridge (the band Kieran Hebden, who comprises 100% of Four Tet, is a part of) or other Four Tet record, Rounds is not to be missed out on. Expand
  11. braulioa
    May 24, 2003
    hebden continues to amaze and stay ahead of other laptop noodlers. by turns enoesque lovely and free-jazz-cum-psych-rock frenetic, "rounds" requires real involvement by the listener to fully appreciate its delicacy and complexity.
  12. Roaf
    Dec 8, 2006
    Absolutely stunning! Though takes a number of listens to get your head around.
  13. christophern
    May 27, 2003
    Wonderful assortment of electronic music. Will be in my top 10 for the year.
  14. ChristianC
    Jun 26, 2003
    Essential electronic music. so easy to listen to. recognizable rythms, as well as intricacies that make headphones a must. a great cd!!!!
  15. JeroenV
    Jul 14, 2003
    Very intelligent electronic compilations...!
  16. ByronD
    Dec 6, 2005
    Smoke out or trip to this album NOW. You will thank me.
  17. KCH
    Oct 21, 2006
    Groundbreaking, amazing, beautiful electronic music. But its much more than mere electronic music, its music to live life to.
  18. Jul 16, 2013
    Nearly perfectly crafted tracks that stun you with their beauty. The sound quality was great and everything mixed together so well, this album always puts me in a good mood and will remain one of my favorites for a long time. If you're looking for a Four Tet entry point look no further, Rounds is his master piece.
  19. Dec 20, 2013
    This album just flat out leaves a great impression. I find myself going back to it over and over. Domino records has a great list of employees and Four Tet is equal to its company. Rounds is my favorite addition addition to their discography, right after There is Love in You.
  20. Apr 24, 2015
    The song "She Moves she" is just horrible, my ears were bleeding
    I don't like this genre & i would never have reviewed this in normal conditions, but the track i mentioned is so bad

1. A beautiful, engaging, enchanting record.
  2. Charming, civilized, childish, Kieran Hebden imagines an aural space in which electronic malfunction is cute rather than annoying or ominous.
    With Rounds, Hebden has found the secret meeting place for man and machine; he uses his cunning to exploit it and all of its startling possibilities. [#59, p.94]