8.7

Review this album

1. Apr 13, 2014
    One of the favourite pieces of the common citizen, Rumours was a success back there in the seventies and is still a success these days, 'cause it has everything a music lover could wish for, and springs simplicity and joy in all its tracks.
  2. Mar 25, 2013
    An overall well done classic rock album where no song sounds the same and the vocals are satisfactory.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    This album defined pop rock music. One of my all time favorites. Absolutely chilling.
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    This is a timeless album with timeless tracks. I cannot skip any song while listening to the album, they contain must-listen to attributes. I could listen to this relentlessly.
  5. Mar 27, 2013
    Ah, the mid-70s: my least favorite musical era. Rock lost its edge, and FM radio became an instrument of torture, playing the bland pop tunes of Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles over and over and over, until listeners' ears wept blood. Now here we are at the 35th anniversary of "Rumours," and it's time for a reassessment. Was the "soundtrack of 1977" truly as lightweight as I remember? The answer is: yes and no. Listening to the old songs, as well as the live versions, demos, and early takes, I realize how heterogeneous the band was most of the time. On songs by Stevie Nicks and (most of the time) Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac sounds like a skilled back-up band, adapting their sound to the singer-songwriter's aesthetic. Only on the one song written by the whole band ("Chains") and on a couple of songs by Lindsey Buckingham do I hear much real collaboration. Compare the Nicks and McVie demos (not that different from final versions) and the Buckingham demos (quite different), and you'll see how much more involved and sophisticated was Buckingham's use of his bandmates' musical strengths during the recording process. In the final analysis, I don't like most of the Nicks and McVie songs, which sound to me as silly and sentimental as they did in the 70s. But, 35 years later, I rather like "Chains" and "Go Your Own Way," which have a ferocity I didn't appreciate when I was hearing them two thousand times a month. Expand
  6. Jun 20, 2013
    Although the album itself is old, the music is timeless, and never fails to display an array of sounds and lyrics that take the listener through a wonderful journey.
  7. May 21, 2013
    Rumours is like nostalgia that I never had. My parents never played this record when I was growing up and I wasn't raised in this album's generation. I only recently discovered this album in college, but it sounds and feels like something I've been listening to all of my life. Rumours manages to suspend time for just a moment. It is beautiful, moving art that truly will make you a different person. Just close your eyes and listen to Dreams. It is marvelous. Stevie Nicks is a goddess. Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2013
    Here's a thought. Maybe Rumours is not quite as good as everyone seems to think. I am not disputing that it is a good, and possibly even a great album but the hyperbole on show here is starting to annoy me a bit. Do not mistake my intentions I am a major and long standing Fleetwood Mac fan, but to me Rumours sounds a little bland, even now. There are a few classics, but some filler as well. In fact it is the outakes and live album here that pique my interest and drive my strong rating, rather than the main event. For one thing, I bought the last remastered version as well, and the latest one is only a minor advance in sound terms. So by all means explore Rumours, because it is after all a West Coast classic, but if you divorce your listening from the media frenzy (relationships! drugs! illicit sex!), you might also like to focus on Tango in the Night, Say You Will and Gypsy, all of which consistently get forgotten in the desire to trot out the myth around Rumours as the "best" Mac album. And if you were really interested, there is a whole goldmine of other Fleetwood Mac to be going on with as well. Expand
  9. Jun 19, 2013
    Fleetwood Mac's 1977 Rumours album is an absolute delight. I have always been more attracted to the early to mid 80's music scene but this late 70's album is definitely something special. Rumours is my joint favourite album from this band, alongside the impressive (if slightly overproduced) Tango In The Night released in 1987.

Second Hand News is a satisfactory opener to the album but
    nothing particularly special, 6/10.
    Dreams is a brilliant Stevie Nicks track that is warm and mellow and literally very dreamy, 10/10.
    Never Going Back Again is a slightly forgettable track and one of the album's weakest, 5/10.
    Don't Stop is a bouncy and confident anthem track with a chorus that welds itself to your memory, 9/10.
    Go Your Own Way is a feel good track with a superb riff on the electric guitar towards the end, 10/10.
    Songbird is a simplistic but delicately sung ballad by Christine McVie, 8/10.
    The Chain is a 2 in 1 song with superb chemistry (as usual) between Buckingham and Nicks, 10/10.
    You Make Loving Fun is a pleasant tune with memorable lyrics, 8/10
    I Don't Want To Know is a quite a playful number but not one of my favourites admittedly, 7/10.
    Oh Daddy is a brilliant chill out song with vocals delivered superbly by McVie, 10/10.
    Gold Dust Woman feels like something out of a western, again features more Nicks/Buckingham magic, 8/10.

A timeless classic, full stop. Time has been and always will be kind to Rumours with superb production values and superb variety.
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    One of the best albums ever made. Completely timeless, i fell in love with songbird thanks to Eva Cassidy, but i am so glad I took the time to listen to the original because it is even better. Never going back again is another incredible song, but none of the songs on the album are any less than excellent.
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    One of the bestselling albums of all time. Like their last album, Lindsey Buckingham leads the way but it truly is the effort of a band coming together to achieve a fine chemistry, balancing out the tensions going on in their own lives, especially with each other, and turning them into the best pop music that transcends time.

Their finest album, 1977’s Rumours, addresses with heart and sharp insight the romantic disengagements and re-entanglements of the members in the free-spirited, free-love 1970s.
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    If you're the kind of listener who has come to associate outtakes from classic albums with meagre, dryly forensic spoils, prepare to be very pleasantly surprised by Disc 3.... Rumours reminds us why we should continue to indulge them. [Mar 2013, p.100]
    What makes Rumours so remarkable and relevant is that it remains fragile and passionate 35 years later.... From a historical, archival standpoint, this package is extremely valuable, as Rhino left in the studio banter and rough cuts from the recording sessions; you get to overhear Fleetwood Mac as they make the record.