8.4

Review this album

1. Jul 7, 2013
    A collaboration of producer/rapper El-P and rapper Killer Mike is likely the best hip hop album of the year. The flow between the two in most every track (esp. Run the Jewels and Get It) is so fast and clever that you'll be picking up new lines upon multiple listens. No real tracks to skip, and El-P is such a strong producer giving the tracks themselves small nuances requiring a strong speaker system. Blows away anything the other popular Hip Hop tag team is spitting out these days. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    Although this project isn't quite as strong as either of their solo albums in 2012 (Cancer 4 Cure; R.A.P. Music), it does show how well these two work together. Since this 33 minute album is free, there's no point in not getting it. So if you have the time, download this and be amazed by El-P's insane production and abstract lyricism, as well as Killer Mike's in your face, NWA-esque rapping. Oh, and BIG BOI. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2014
    Man, Killer Mike went from being an above average Atlanta rapper to amazing in a very short time. Not as good as 2012's RAP Music, Run the Jewels is still a worthy successor. The production from track to track is similar enough to make the album cohesive, but not similar enough to sound repetitive.
    El-P and Mike have very different styles, but they complement each other in all the right
    ways, even though Mike seems to be more in the forefront of the vocals than El-P is, El-P still contributes largely to what makes this such a great album.
    Also, they released it for free, so what are you waiting for? LISTEN!
  4. N10
    Oct 8, 2013
    Album of the year material. Nuff said actually when they've earlier proven their great projects together, as seen on last years "R.A.P. Music". I love this, more, give us more of this. A duo that actually stands-out and fight each other with hungry verses, something the mainstream scene is missing out. An album like "Watch The Throne" just ended up boring at the end of the day, with too much "I'm giving you this, look I'm at the top just bragging about the dough I've got, *non competitive* with this poppy ass hook" and less "I'm going out with this raw verses, I'm the best, try and get me". See and learn, Killer Mike and El-P got this, their chemistry between each other is better than the most, that is what matter at the end.

"Run The Jewels" is a fantastic record!
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    It's definitely a good album with good raps and subject matter, but the problem as always with Killer Mike and El-P is that they tend to just make good verses over good beats with no "it" factor that separates it from just two guys spitting over a beat. While definitely a good album, it has next to no replay value and I can't really see myself coming back to this one.
  6. May 3, 2014
    This is definitely a good album. Though I have to disagree with some of the other reviews that make this out to be the Album of the Year. The Album features some great beats by El-P, Killer Mikes incredible flow and some nasty Verses. But all in all it's one of those good albums that make you go "meh", after the 10th listen.
    It's just not that impressive over all. It doesn't have a lot of
    weaknesses, but also nothing that really makes it great.

A few months after the release I have never really had the urge to check back to listen to the full album. Which is disappointing.

Still this is a pretty good album and most definitely a must-listen for 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2014
    The electro-inspired beats and declamatory rhymes are just as uncompromising and unorthodox as before. [Oct 2013, p.107]
    It’s a masterful set, stuffed with brooding, industrial-synth beats.
  3. Jan 9, 2014
    Run the Jewels is remarkably fun.