Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos
9.1

Review this album

1. Feb 11, 2012
    Not only is she pulling off a great album with no filler tracks, she's pulling of a great 19-SONG album with no filler tracks. The album unravels like some classic road movie, and it certainly doesn't feel one second too long. I firmly agree with the user review by Karen - one of the things that makes Tori Amos so special is that she is simply sharing her personal and private world with us, unedited. The lyrics are definitely not mumbo jumbo, I'd rather say they're like a stream of consciousness in a similar literary vein to James Joyce, but where with Joyce the reader has to rely on intellectual effort, with Tori Amos this kind of literal understanding is not necessary because the music and the voice give so many emotional and spiritual clues to what the meaning behind the words is. I disagree with JoeSixpack's view that this album is overcompressed, let alone the most overcompressed of our times. I wonder if JoeSixpack has heard any chart pop over the past 10 years. No, this is a beautifully engineered album, as well as produced, written and performed. Collapse
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    There are songs that fail to attract my attention, such as "Do not make me come to Vegas" or "Sweet Sangria". The truth is that I care much about the rhythm of the tracks (even more so than the lyrics itself). From the time you hear "Taxi ride" or "Virginia" I consider them as treasures of the master tori-pieces.

1. Walk isn't groundbreaking as much as typical Tori Amos--a dramatic menagerie of atmospheric tracks filled with manic piano, morose characters and so many literary allusions you'll need CliffsNotes to figure 'em out.
    Her message, so powerful when unadorned, tends to get diluted by the awkward arrangements that accompany it.
  3. The new album's themes show that Amos is energized with stories to tell once again - making Scarlet's Walk at once ambitious and also one of her most moving collections yet. [Nov 2002]