Sea Change

9.0

Review this album

1. BradM
    Oct 25, 2002
    It seems like whatever Beck puts out, people will think its a masterpiece simply because, well, its Beck and we expect that kind of thing from the guy who created Odelay. He's reached Radiohead status, in that, people are afraid to knock his stuff for fear that others will taunt them and say that they just don't "get it." But, try as I might, I don't understand what is so It seems like whatever Beck puts out, people will think its a masterpiece simply because, well, its Beck and we expect that kind of thing from the guy who created Odelay. He's reached Radiohead status, in that, people are afraid to knock his stuff for fear that others will taunt them and say that they just don't "get it." But, try as I might, I don't understand what is so remarkable about Sea Changes. Beck has written lyrics like these before, such as on some of the slow, soft tracks of One Foot in he Grave or Stereopathetic Soul Manure. Listen to "Hollow Log" or "Forcefields," they have more charm and are sung with more emotion than anything on Sea Changes. Point number 2: the songs are boring, yes boring, I never thought Id say a Beck song was boring but the songs on this album are. I like "Lost Cause" for the first minute but by the third minute Im asleep, dreaming of a day when Beck will make an album even better than Odelay. Come to think of it, the slow jams on Odelay, which is an album not known for its soft numbers, are all better and more interesting than the sea changes cuts. Im not saying I cant appreciate some of the qualities of this album, every Beck album is ten times better than the other shit thats out there (I'm looking at you Bon Jovi), but I guess I am just expecting more from the man whose got a beard that will dissapear when he's dressed in leather. Expand
  2. BellsF.
    Oct 2, 2002
    eh.
    Sep 19, 2002
    Beck has become whom he once taunted. Far too sombre and emotional.
  4. Nov 8, 2011
    While I can understand while people may like this, I myself am not a fan of the quiet and introverted side of Beck. Sea Change just doesn't do anything for me. I miss the funky and energetic style of Midnite Vultures.

1. Mojo
    Sea Change aches too thoroughly to be mere career shift. It's the kind of album that at times seems too sad for the singer's own good. [Album of the Month, Oct 2002, p.90]
  2. One of his finest efforts to date.
    Many of these harrowing tunes, like "Lonesome Tears" and "Guess I'm Doing Fine" have the lonely blues feel of Beck's similar-sounding Mutations, and they definitely get better with repeated play.