• Record Label: !K7
  • Release Date: Jul 2, 2011
8.6

Review this album

1. Feb 7, 2013
    Section. 80's one of the better hip hop records I've heard in awhile. I love the concept behind Kendrick's lyrics and his style and flow are so engaging. Each track tells a beautiful story with incredible production and very catchy beats. All In All, Section. 80 is a great hip hop record. B+
  2. Jul 17, 2017
    great album............................................................................................................................................................
  3. Mar 22, 2015
    7.9/10................................................................................................................................................
  4. May 2, 2015
    10/10 ................................................................................................................................................
  5. May 23, 2017
    The project that gave many of us our first view of this incredible talent. This album is great. Only song I don't particularly care for is No Make-Up.

Best songs: HiiiPower / Ronald Reagan Era / Kush & Corinthians
  6. Jan 8, 2016
    Kendrick Lamar broke out with a bold and unconventional project like section. 80 which seems like quite impressive feat to me and projected early the talent that was gonna carry him to the top of
  7. Sep 26, 2015
    A near-flawless album with beautiful and touching subject matters, top-notch rapping, and excellent production. Although I am not a big hip-hop fan, Kendrick has given birth to one of the best albums of the decade, and must be given due credit.
  8. Mar 21, 2012
    A fantastic and gripping rap album. Probably my favorite rap album of 2011 and definitely in top 3 of my favs for the year. In this album, Kendrick relays intelligent verses that serve a purpose. "HiiiPower" is a fantastic track and is amazingly produced by J. Cole. "Ronald Reagen Era" also has a few great hooks. Great album and I cannot wait to hear more from this promising, young rapper.
  9. Oct 7, 2013
    This album or mixtape or whatever you want to call it really shows off Kendricks skills as a rapper. His lyrical ability is insane and his flow is so good. He is definitely the best rapper around today. I hope he carries on like this because hip hop needs someone like him,
  10. Mar 23, 2013
    Section.80 is a self explanatory show of self brilliance and intelligence from the young mastermind. Each track with carefully constructed rhymes and beats to make this a wonderful ecstatic listen. From the pop electro sounding A.D.H.D to the jazzy classic upbeat Rigamortus, this album gives a lot of diversity, especially in the raps. This is a great example of what this young uniqueSection.80 is a self explanatory show of self brilliance and intelligence from the young mastermind. Each track with carefully constructed rhymes and beats to make this a wonderful ecstatic listen. From the pop electro sounding A.D.H.D to the jazzy classic upbeat Rigamortus, this album gives a lot of diversity, especially in the raps. This is a great example of what this young unique Kendrick has to offer hip hop, and we should all be looking forward to his upcoming material. Expand
  11. Feb 8, 2012
    Wow! TDE is taking over right now! Kendrick is just more intellectual than anything in rap currently. This defines a generation. Tammy's Song, The Spiteful Chant and Rigamortus are my favorite!
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    some dope **** kendrick is surely the next big thing to come out from compton!!!1 this dude is legendary! he has his own flow and original!!!! it's about time someone can come and save rap!!!
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    This album is better than average. The beats are just sometimes boring. But Kendrick is never a bad rapper. His flow here is also his best especially on chapter ten.
  14. Mar 11, 2015
    At first I REALLY did not like Kendrick Lamar. I listened to ADHD and Rigamortus, and I did not like either song, so I just blew him off when people told me to listen to him. Well, that was probably one of the stupidest things I have ever done. Because I finished and bought the album a few days ago, and it is probably one of my favorites now. ADHD and Rigamortus were probably my leastAt first I REALLY did not like Kendrick Lamar. I listened to ADHD and Rigamortus, and I did not like either song, so I just blew him off when people told me to listen to him. Well, that was probably one of the stupidest things I have ever done. Because I finished and bought the album a few days ago, and it is probably one of my favorites now. ADHD and Rigamortus were probably my least favorite songs from the album, but as a whole the album is great and I was amazed after I listened to the whole thing. Expand
  15. Nov 12, 2013
    Look back at it, it was easily the best rap album of 2011 in my opinion. Production, lyrics, and everything about it is solid. Kendrick did a great job with this album.
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    The first time I heard Kendrick was on Overly Dedicated, and while at first I had a hard time getting into it because of his weird flow. Looking back, I realized just how good it was. Maybe I needed something like Section.80 to come along and help me with that. Section.80 is not only a very well executed project, it is more brave in its subject matter than most MC's who claim they're fromThe first time I heard Kendrick was on Overly Dedicated, and while at first I had a hard time getting into it because of his weird flow. Looking back, I realized just how good it was. Maybe I needed something like Section.80 to come along and help me with that. Section.80 is not only a very well executed project, it is more brave in its subject matter than most MC's who claim they're from the hood. Kendrick takes jabs at society on songs like Your Ethnicity, A.D.H.D., Ronald Reagan Era and HiiiPoWeR. And each song brings up topics that are so intriguing you want to hear more. Both Tammy's Song and Keisha's Song are tales of women who are caught in hard situations such as unfaithful relationships to getting involved in prostitution in order to survive. And yet for an independent release, this album sounds very expensive. Most of the production comes from Digi+Phonics but there's a few other contributions from THC, Terrace Martin and even J. Cole (who's beat on HiiiPoWeR is the best one on the album). If I were to have a single solitary gripe it's that the choruses are a bit weak. Kendrick needs to improve on that in future releases. But overall, this album was fantastic and my favorite release of 2011. Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2012
    Since the release of this album, I have heard/seen multiple people call Kendrick Lamar, "the next 2pac". This is a false statement, because Kendrick Lamar is the next Kendrick Lamar, and the only one at that. The only comparison I would make, is that he too gives a voice to his generation. His ear for production is quite astounding, and his lyricism and flow are both jaw dropping. LamarSince the release of this album, I have heard/seen multiple people call Kendrick Lamar, "the next 2pac". This is a false statement, because Kendrick Lamar is the next Kendrick Lamar, and the only one at that. The only comparison I would make, is that he too gives a voice to his generation. His ear for production is quite astounding, and his lyricism and flow are both jaw dropping. Lamar dwells on a variety of subjects, most notably the Reagan Era, and the crack epidemic that occurred in his decade. There is no denying that in the matter of a few short years, this will be looked back upon as a classic, and I will surely have no arguments towards that. Expand
  18. Sep 22, 2016
    The debut studio album from Kendrick Lamar immediately shows that he can write songs that are very positive and fun, but he can also write stuff that is deep, very deep and sad. And that's why I love his music so much! He does it in a way that his music always feels alive and meaningful. Kendrick is a real treasure.
  19. Mar 10, 2015
    This album is just great. Every track just flows so well together along with each sample and smooth delivery of lyrics. Kendrick's style, voice, flow, everything, is all top notch.
  20. Apr 21, 2012
    The best rap album of this millennium in terms of overall awesomeness. There's not a single bad song on this album. This album will define a generation and Kendrick Lamar is the usher of the new era of rap. This album is ridiculously good and I can't wait for Kendrick to come out with his first studio album. This album is a must-buy. Now go buy it.
  21. Nov 12, 2013
    This album will most likely be considered a classic in times to come, and it will be one because this album is simply amazing. My favorite tracks are your Ethnicity", "Ronald Reagan Era", and "HiiPower".
  22. May 11, 2014
    The album that started it all, almost as good as Good Kid M.a.a.d City but it's hard to beat perfection.
    Probably less hooks than GKMC, more an underground type vibe. Just like GKMC this takes a few listens before becoming the beast that it is.
  23. Nov 17, 2011
    Tremendous job by Kendrick Lamar. For sure in the Top 3 hip-hop releases in 2011. Standouts were "Blow My High", "The Spiteful Chant", "ADHD", "Keisha's Song" and "Ronald Reagan Era".
  24. Mar 1, 2013
    Not joking, but this is one of the greatest things I've heard in my life, and I've heard a lot of great things. Grabs you right from the first track F*** Your Ethnicity, and follows up so strongly with Hol Up, and it never loses momentum. Damn epic!
  25. Jul 14, 2012
    this is a fantastic release. hip hops lies on people like kendrick lamar big k.r.i.t. and J. cole. it takes two or three listens but you get lamar's message. Cant wait to see what he does with his first major release produced by dr. dre.
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    Kendrick continues to grow on me. After the first listen I wasn't overly impressed. But this kid is lyrical. Beats need work but he can spit. GKMC is better, but Section.80 isn't too far off.
  27. Oct 28, 2017
    A really good first album from Kendrick Lamar. Some really good tracks here such as A.D.H.D and Ronald Reagan Era. This album shows Kendrick's true potential that he would later show in later albums like good kid MAAD city and To Pimp a Butterfly.
  28. Apr 15, 2017
    This album was the first for Kendrick Lamar and it had one of his most famous songs ADHD, for a first album Kendrick did very well the songs are engaging, but some songs sound like they have lower production then his other songs and some songs like Ronald Reagen Era, and Keisha's Song don't hold well with the other songs in my opinion but lyrically this album held up well even 6 years later.
  29. JRG
    Aug 27, 2011
    Section.80 is a fantastic album. Overlooked by many, it is the third studio album by Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar, and his technical "Debut," as the previous two have been labeled as mixtapes. Kendrick steps up his game from his previous works, crafting a coherent album that is tied together by the themes, sound, the interludes, and even the cover. The album's subject matter focuses onSection.80 is a fantastic album. Overlooked by many, it is the third studio album by Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar, and his technical "Debut," as the previous two have been labeled as mixtapes. Kendrick steps up his game from his previous works, crafting a coherent album that is tied together by the themes, sound, the interludes, and even the cover. The album's subject matter focuses on the plight of the "80s babies" and simultaneously plays on the term "Section 80" used to label certain types of project housing. Kendrick's raps span multiple scenarios, using both first person and third person to detail struggles pertaining to sex, drugs, and the twisted realities of the world and culture these 80s babies are living in.

The production, though not necessarily groundbreaking, is fitting for the direction of the album. From the anthemic Spiteful Chant horns to the slick, choppy HiiiPower synths, the beats are all memorable and relatively dark. More lighthearted production is displayed on tracks such as Hol Up and Rigamortus, as Lamar interjects humor and wit to provide a break from the heavier subject matter. The tracks mesh well regardless, as Lamar is able to insert deep and insightful lines into the most laid back songs (His line "Look at my life and look at yours, get some ambition." from Blow My High).

I'd talk about more songs but I'm lazy, and you should hear them all anyway. My favorite release of 2011, tied with Big KRIT's Return of 4eva.
  30. Oct 28, 2011
    Claiming Tupac Shakur came to him in his dream as his inspiration to make this album, lets hope more of these "dreams" happen more often. An amazing album with substance to last.

1. Just when you're thinking not bad at all, come some songs.
  2. The Wire
    Dec 6, 2011
    The record crams a ton of sonic and thematic ideas into a small space and yet show almost no visible stitches. [Oct 2011, p.66]
  3. Oct 27, 2011
    He doesn't quite sell the thesis that that's the point.