8.5

Review this album

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Their most experimental album so far. An, maybe not as good a Silent Shout (which is impossible) but it's in another level. I find that almost all the songs are great somehow, and this is something difficult to reach.
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    Shaking The Habitual is completely unlike the rest of the Knife's discog. Deep Cuts it's not. Oh no, it's an outrageously different beast altogether. If Silent Shout was the door leading into experimentalism, STM is the 3-story mansion they enter. Track after track are filled to excess with noises, detailed layers of sounds interweaving every which-way. Not to mention ambient, droney landscapes that almost make me think of Godspeed! if they were an electronic band. The Knife really take a left turn on terms of how different it really is from their other previous releases.

All In All, Shaking The Habitual is a challenging piece of music, it really takes a lot to fully digest. But once it hits you, it's unlike any album you'll ever have the pleasure to listen too this year. A-
  3. Apr 10, 2013
    An incredibly brave album. The Knife should be applauded for simply attempting this, most bands wouldn't dare take the risk. The music itself is very inspiring, makes you want to be creative. It opens up a whole world of possibilities.
  4. May 21, 2013
    I was apprehensive to actually give this album a listen. It is, after all, a behemoth of an album. Yet, I gave it one listen, which immediately led to another, then another, then another, and enough listens passed where I had spent a whole day listening to this over and over again. This is not an easy album. It's icy cold, very slow moving and expansive, but highly rewarding if given its due. I come back to this more than any other album I've heard this year, and almost as much as my two favorite albums from 2012 (Channel Orange and good kid, m.A.A.d. city, which are huge in their own way). Even the ambient tracks are somehow endearing. Against all reasoning, this is truly a masterful album. Whatever the case may be, this has changed how I listen to music. This will probably go down as my favorite album of 2013 (The National not withstanding), and may be one of my favorite albums of all time. Expand
  5. May 24, 2013
    This is a bold, deep, intense and innovative album. The tunes really get under your skin and take you places. Never have I heard the electronic genre pushed to such limits. This an example of artists making exactly the kind of music they want to make and thankfully gaining recognition for doing so.
  6. Apr 17, 2013
    It took me a while to finally 'get it' but now I really appreciate what they did on the new album...although one disc version is better,near-20 minutes long ambient/drone track excluded from it interupts the flow too much.
  7. Oct 15, 2013
    Very different feel for The Knife. A very experimental album with long tracks and soundscapes. Almost reaches the same quality as Silent Shout however, it does begin to drag on near the end (especially if you aren't a fan of ambient music). However, the long tracks are very catchy and even the most experimental changes are pleasant.
  8. Apr 25, 2013
    A great entertaining album to listen to. I loved everything about this album and I can't really recall any other electric pop album that I've liked so in my books this will go down as one of my favorites.
  9. Apr 18, 2013
    by @LucasJelinek After a long wait since his last work in 2006, The Knife returns with "Shaking the Habitual" in hands. Released on April 4 is their 4th studio album. What a way to go back! A mixture of experimental-techno-pop: Exciting, risky, with a strong and distinct personality! The Swedes surprised with this new release, the wait hasn't been in vain.

"A tooth for an eye", "Full
    of Fire", "Without you my life would be boring" are for me the first part of the album, making clear the energetic and techno-pop side of the band. I believe this is the best part of the album.

The album is split from "Wrap your arms around me" to "Raging Lung", it feels the change to the experimental electronic. I believe that "Old dreams waiting to be realized" has at least a 2 minutes more, it lasts 19:02 min. Then the album returns with a fusion of both parties to consolidate the whole work. Shaking the Habitual needs no introduction, is an album that screams what it is: One of the best of 2013 so far.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    This album is everything that I want from The Knife. Its primal, invigorating, and at sometimes overbearing. I don't that this album was unexpected at all and should be looked upon as a thrillinh experience from beginning to end

1. May 30, 2013
    While the Knife seem to have outlined a much clearer vision for what they were trying to achieve, they do so, crucially, through experimentation starting outward from their own comfort zones, and with almost zero lyrical element.
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    It's inscrutable and inspired, and this time mystique has nothing to do with it. [Apr 2013, p.51]
    An exciting, multivalent Dreijer sibling showcase. Karin provides saving shades of humanity by exercising the vocal cords nature gave her. But Olof's imagination, sense of humor, and bent rebop carry the day.