Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
7.9

Review this album

1. Aug 30, 2010
    Hands down one of my favorite albums. What I really like is the lyrical writing, Mr Mumford seems to use allot of literary references that ranges from Steinbeck to Shakespeare. Their also seems to be a bit of existentialism in there as well as a delving into the metaphysical. Not much of a folk fan but if there are more bands like these I may have to fall in love with the genre.
  2. Dec 6, 2010
    Absolutely amazing music. I just discovered them a week ago and can't stop listening to them. The lyrics are well done, with an intelligent feel to them.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    Great Album! Upon second listen, this is certainly one of the best albums of the year. The banjo makes these songs so beautiful, and the hoedown sections are so energetic and moving. In fact, even the silences are perfect as well.
  4. Nov 27, 2010
    So much LOVE for this Album, so much passion in the playing, and the lyrics are just so true. it's definitely the best album of 2009.
  5. Dec 7, 2010
    Pitchforks Stephen "the Douche" Deusner's review of Sigh No More clearly demonstrates his ineptitude as a music critic. His lack of critical thinking must stem from his exposure to Tennessee public schooling. Remember, grain of salt people, grain of salt.
  6. Feb 5, 2011
    I suppose I am like the majority of people who's eyes (and ears) where recently opened to Mumford & Sons. Maybe if I were more privy to the world of "alt folk" I would I would not think so much of this album, judging from the scores provided by people with a broader knowledge of this genre. What I can say is that if this is the worst, blandest and emptiest that this genre has to offer, then those of you who are "in the know" are at best very lucky people and at worst very cynical and pretentious.
    For the average music lover who's Ipods contain artists ranging from Jon Mayer to Bun B to maybe even Eva Cassidy, this album is a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's because the perspectives of the 2 camps are so different that most will either love it or hate it. Personally, I loved it.
  7. Jan 19, 2011
    This is by far my favourite album for 2010. I downloaded it off the net but had to buy it because I liked it so much and knew it was a cd I would want to have a real copy of. Every song on this album is full of power and awesomeness. The lyrics are unforgettable and the music pulls you right in. I have listened to this album over and over again and still have not got tired (which is saying a lot). I can't wait until they put out another album. Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2011
    Dear MadJ: You sound like a douchebag. You are exactly the kind of person I hate: The kind of person who doesn't really care that much about music, they just want to sound smart on the Internet. The kind of person that will agree and worship at the feet of Pitchfork. This is an amazing album, a great sound, soulful vocals, and it's just generally a crowd-pleaser. I'm 16 years old and I love it; so does my 55-year old mother. In summary, I point to the two reviews you have written: the one for this album, and one for MBDTF, giving it a 10. Which both happen to be the same scores Pitchfork gave them. Pitchfork publishes their own reviews, we don't need to read the summaries from you. Expand
  9. Apr 7, 2011
    By now, if you haven't heard the name "Mumford & Sons," you may be living in a cave with your fingers in your ears. With only one album, theyâ
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    Genre: Folk Rock
    One of my favourite albums of all time. Marcus Mumford's voice is truly unique and he infuses each and every song with incredible passions whether it be on the more upbeat songs such as 'The Cave' or 'Little Lion Man' or the dramatic 'Thistle and Weeds'.

On a side note if you've not seen them live then do so. I went to watch them in Lewes recently and they were fantastic.
  11. Jun 16, 2011
    68 out of 100...are you **** kidding me?! Listen, I don't even know where to begin with this album. It's one of the best debut albums i've ever heard, this was their first...debut...and it's absolutely phenomenal. If you don't like things that are different, or unique, or original, than crank your new Ke$ha album and have a **** blast! but if you're interested in listening to something new and fresh and ....i dont know...actual music...than i suggest listening to Mumford, they are folk, so if you know you don't like that kind of music, don't even try it. otherwise, don't be a douche, go buy this album! Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. I heard this on the radio one day months ago, and I'm still listening. blown away completely by the level of musicianship here. Lyrics jump out, and the folky sound makes you want to sing along to every song!
  13. Jun 18, 2011
    This may be one of my favorite albums of all time. The music is fantastic and the band themselves are amazing. They're so good that they performed the song 'Timshel' on the BRIT awards! I love all the songs so much that I can not choose a favorite! I am eagerly awaiting their second album.. Mumford and Sons FTW!!!
  14. Sep 22, 2012
    Unbelievably chilling and beautiful. The songs are all a bit similar to one another, but if you take your time and listen to the abum more, you learn to love every single song.
  15. Sep 27, 2012
    This is an album that truly changed my perspective on music. Such passion seems to be put into every chord and every word, I am in shock that anyone could not have fallen instantly in love with this band. People need to sit down with this album and really appreciate its message.
  16. Nov 9, 2012
    Mumfords & Sons' Sigh No More combines some great folk-sounding guitar with some urban riffs and meaningful lyrics. It's the best release of 2010.
  17. Mar 4, 2013
    I liked this album a lot. I first heard of this band after listening to their Grammy nomination-festooned single 'The Cave', and I loved it. So I got hold of this album, and it was definitely worth it. My other favourite songs from this record are 'Little Lion Man', 'Winter Winds', and 'Timshel'.
  18. Jun 6, 2013
    Yes the songs sound the same. But aren't they supposed to? Folk music doesn't have many variants in sounds. With absolute deep lyrical meaning, and heart warming music. Sigh No More calms you down and prepares you for one amazing ride.

1. May 10, 2011
    Sigh No More sees four-piece Mumford and Sons strike out for equally distinctive territory, carving out a mostly winning--if nigglingly naive--debut that deserves an audience to match its impressive convictions.
    Thanks to a volatile mix of the uplifting and gloomy--there's a bitter murder tale ("Dust Bowl Dance") and lingering visions of death ("Timshel")--Sigh No More transfixes.
  3. Despite any popularity which may come their way, what Mumford & Sons have produced in Sigh No More is nothing more than an empty shell of a half-decent record.