Silent Alarm

8.9

Review this album

1. Nov 7, 2011
    Cracking debut from a band who have been pushing themselves from the start. 13 tracks and not a bad one to be found. Still sounds great years later. Fantastic guitar hooks, sublime bass lines and outstanding drumming. Musically hard to find fault, however the vocals/lyrics are the only thing this band don't excel at here.
  2. Dec 30, 2010
    Silent Alarm is a great debut album. The songs are really catchy and I loved each one of them. The vocals were amazing and the musicianship is great. All In All, Silent Alarm is a great album. A-
  3. Dec 26, 2010
    The most passionate, inventive and intense indie album out there with many different colliding ideas and soaring ambitions, all packed into 13 unforgettable songs. Whenever I listen to this album, I find something new and always realise that its a new discovery. Greatly layered guitar work, passionate vocals, impressive drumming and melodic bass lines and I have to say it is always rareThe most passionate, inventive and intense indie album out there with many different colliding ideas and soaring ambitions, all packed into 13 unforgettable songs. Whenever I listen to this album, I find something new and always realise that its a new discovery. Greatly layered guitar work, passionate vocals, impressive drumming and melodic bass lines and I have to say it is always rare for any artist to have a good chemistry. Expand
  4. Feb 4, 2016
    tight riffs riding on steady beats, this album affords a great variety of sounds and harmonies throughout its duration that checks every box and then some. its light and dark when it needs to be, necessary for any prolonged listen. even after all these years, very few indie LPs can hold a candle to this gem - this unfortunately includes bloc party's later offerings.
  5. Jun 1, 2012
    The run time of the album or the run time of each of the individual songs are of no concern. Whether or not you'll enjoy it is of real concern to you. Which you will, trust me. Donâ
  6. Dec 18, 2011
    One of the most catchy and musically beautiful albums I've heard. Every track had me jamming to it and every listen made me want to listen again. There is nothing to hate about this album.
  7. Nov 13, 2015
    Such a great album! Every song is great and looped this album about 100 times! Silent alarm turned 10 years old this year and the songs have aged very well and still sound great. The lowest moments of the album like the song "Plans' or "Luno" are still great songs and I'm honestly haven't gotten more radio play. It's honestly a shame not more people listen to Bloc Party.
  8. Jul 21, 2017
    An impressive, if somewhat flawed, debut record.

After hearing a Bloc Party song on one occasion I held a particularly negative opinion of the group, and for that reason was apprehensive about listening to their critically acclaimed debut. I have since decided it would be foolish to rate the band on one experience and properly listen to a full length album. I must admit, that my
    An impressive, if somewhat flawed, debut record.

I must admit, that my opinion of Bloc Party has improved slightly, and was immediately captivated by the opening song "Like Eating Glass". Despite being the opener it is the undisputed highlight, with its mix of hard hitting drums and a spiky guitar line reminiscent of an overproduced "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" that works perfectly.

Unfortunately after this song things are fairly unspectacular until later. "Helicopter" borrows (or outright steals, depending on your perspective) its main riff from the earlier "Set the House Ablaze" by The Jam - and despite my appreciation for nostalgia, the riff just doesn't suit vocalist Kele Okereke's voice; it genuinely feels as though he is struggling to cope. "Banquet" is in many ways derivative of Franz Ferdinand, but whereas "Take Me Out" was a memorable anthem "Banquet" lacks any kind of memorable chorus.

With "This Modern Love" the album provides its second major standout; a slow ballad with Kele's understated vocals - quite possibly his best performance on the entire album. Again though the following tracks are easy to forget, this time though they are rallying political statements in the form of "The Pioneers" and "Price of Gas". Album closer "Compliments" redeems the previous tracks, and ends the album on a high (albeit a slow and depressing) note.

Silent Alarm is, in fact, a good album. Taken as a whole it flows perfectly and the performances of the rhythm section are outstanding - a harder, colder, modern incarnation of The Smiths. Unfortunately the vocals are not as perfect as the instrumentals and none of the songs, with the exception of "Like Eating Glass" and "This Modern Love", are ones that I would consider listening to outside the context of the album.

I will say though, that Silent Alarm - from start to finish - has successfully escalated my opinion of the band. If this doesn't make it a success of an album, what will?
  9. JeromeH
    Mar 21, 2005
    This is the best album I've listened to all year (of already 120 2005 releases). I can admit I'm a music elitist, and if I hadn't heard this album before all the hoopla surrounding Bloc Party had occurred, I wouldn't have gone in listening to them with an open mind. That said, I'm not a fan of Franz Ferdinand and see narry a similarity beyond geography (and This is the best album I've listened to all year (of already 120 2005 releases). I can admit I'm a music elitist, and if I hadn't heard this album before all the hoopla surrounding Bloc Party had occurred, I wouldn't have gone in listening to them with an open mind. That said, I'm not a fan of Franz Ferdinand and see narry a similarity beyond geography (and that's only if you're so myopic to view the UK as one entity). The reviewers aren't giving this band enough credit in terms of songwriting ability. It's deeper than simply "hook and catchy". Anyway, I like 9 of the 13 songs, which is a ratio only comparable to Modest Mouse, Les Savy Fav, and Arcade Fire in terms of releases from last year. This album is watin high and pretty until something can knock it off the 2005 perch I've made for it. Expand
  10. giulia
    Mar 22, 2005
    i m not such a fan of their music, but they seem to be very nice. and the music isnt that bad. i will give it an other try i guess.
  11. romanevil
    Mar 22, 2005
    ...Pure emotions...intelligence...variety of sounds...sometimes the hype is not fake !!!
  12. LawrenceP
    Mar 22, 2005
    Simple and deep music at the same time. One of the best debuts in recent times.
  13. MarkyP
    Mar 22, 2005
    This album is just great. Energy, feeling and challenge all in one CD. Get it !
  14. Nickl
    Mar 22, 2005
    I've been listening to this album for about two months now in the frigid cold of minnesota and very seldom does it leave my cd player. It's a great album, worth your time and money, and it will be on a lot of year end top ten lists.
  15. DevinB
    Mar 24, 2005
    This album sounds like the beginning of a revolution. Sure, dancepunk has been done before, but Bloc Party bring a sense of focus and tightness to the genre that I've not yet heard. Expect huge things from these guys.
  16. bretc
    Mar 24, 2005
    ignore the list of influences and hype...just listen a couple times
  17. ErikZ
    Mar 24, 2005
    Within an hour of first "evaluating" Silent Alarm I had bought two tickets to see them this April and placed an order with Amazon UK. No, they're not "sexy." But what
  18. NiallB
    Just buy it
  19. JoeC
    Mar 29, 2005
    Awesome!!! Can't stop listening to it!!
  20. JordanB
    Mar 29, 2005
    Definitely the best album I've heard so far this year, it satisfies from front to back, and does what has proven so difficult for so many indie bands recently - it sounds fresh. For those of you who wish you could love Franz Ferdinand more than you actually do, and are looking for something deeper in sound and emotion, this is your album.
  21. gareths
    Apr 4, 2005
    if you buy silent alarm the be prepared to throw all your other CDs away. because nothing comes close to this.
  22. jao
    Apr 10, 2005
    wow, they really are that good.
  23. ZapB
    Apr 11, 2005
    This CD is really good.. I don't think they compare too closely with Franz Ferdinand, they are more straight ahead rock, where this is more like punk. The songs on this CD seem deeper and more varied than FF too. I like this CD a lot after hearing it just a few times.
  24. MusicMaven
    Apr 13, 2005
    I like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand. They've got miles of style, and some solid songs to boot. Bloc Party doesn't have the style, but man have they got the substance - in spades. They've blended a lot of edgy post-punk influences (Gang of Four, Wire, Sonic Youth) into a diverse set of songs while adding enough melody to compete on the pop playing field. Track-for-track, I like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand. They've got miles of style, and some solid songs to boot. Bloc Party doesn't have the style, but man have they got the substance - in spades. They've blended a lot of edgy post-punk influences (Gang of Four, Wire, Sonic Youth) into a diverse set of songs while adding enough melody to compete on the pop playing field. Track-for-track, Silent Alarm is better than both Hot Fuss and Franz Ferdinand. Best album of 2005, so far. Expand
  25. MikeW
    Apr 17, 2005
    Franz Ferdinand they are not. No, they're much better than that. This is an outstanding debut from a band that is sure to be around for a long time. If you haven't got this album yet, get out of that cave and buy it now.
  26. AnthonyP
    Apr 18, 2005
    Great album - best ive heard in years. this is my kind of rock music. can't wait to see them at reading!
  27. simonl
    Apr 19, 2005
    i cant fault this album at all. it has everything a indie listener is looking for. great fast tracks like 'helicopter' and 'banquet', and then the more melodic songs like 'so here we are' and 'this modern love'. to top it off there are the other songs in the middle like 'pioneers' and 'like eating grass'. it is fair to say that i cant fault this album at all. it has everything a indie listener is looking for. great fast tracks like 'helicopter' and 'banquet', and then the more melodic songs like 'so here we are' and 'this modern love'. to top it off there are the other songs in the middle like 'pioneers' and 'like eating grass'. it is fair to say that 'silent alarm' is a genuine masterpiece by pure indie/punk lovers and anyone who buys this album and faults it is as kele would say "a newboy". i went to see them live at the london astoria and it was the best gig i have ever been to, i might go as for to say as they are better live. i wouldnt be wrong in saying that they are the best band in the world right now. GREAT LYRICS, GREAT MUSIC, GREAT BAND. live long and prosper bloc party!!! Expand
  28. JonN
    Apr 21, 2005
    I'm sorry. Someone said that Bloc Party are this year's Franz Ferdinand. WHAT???? Strange comparison! This is easily the best debut album I've heard in about 5 years, so brilliant that it hasn't been out of my CD player for 3 weeks.
  29. GaryM.
    Apr 22, 2005
    This is the band I've been waiting for. This is an amazing album full of great, great songs which include "This Modern Love" and "Banquet". Too cool.
  30. MarkK
    Apr 24, 2005
    The first 4 tracks are really really good. However, the rest is, it seems, mediocre at times. Its a good album. However, after the first good week of listening I've moved to just listening to songs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8.
  31. CeilingTiles
    Apr 25, 2005
    People with bad taste be warned -- This is not for you.
  32. markw
    Apr 26, 2005
    Silent Alarm is a diverse and extremely competent album. Many of the tracks shine individually and with an impressive consistenty of quality - there's barely a bad track on it. Bands that offer this consistency are a rare thing. I'm sick of seeing them compared to Franz Ferdinand. Bloc Party are way better and have none of the pretentiousness of FF. Bloc Party's lead singer Silent Alarm is a diverse and extremely competent album. Many of the tracks shine individually and with an impressive consistenty of quality - there's barely a bad track on it. Bands that offer this consistency are a rare thing. I'm sick of seeing them compared to Franz Ferdinand. Bloc Party are way better and have none of the pretentiousness of FF. Bloc Party's lead singer has a way better voice too! Expand
  33. MikeS
    Apr 29, 2005
    It make take a solid listen or two, but if you give it a chance this album will grow on you. In my opinion Best first offering since Arcade Fire and for me it's the easiest to listen all the way through since Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
  34. MikeG
    May 2, 2005
    This is the best record of the year so far. One of the best live acts as well, which took place at the stick. Long live the Magic Stick in Detroit!!!
  35. matthews
    May 3, 2005
    eric m... this cd is good, and just because they are "popular" (where I'm from, Regina, it's not exactly mainstream) does not mean they are not talented. This album shows promise and I hope to see a follow up album by Bloc Part.
  36. ericar
    May 7, 2005
    This album is not your regular indie album. You hear everythign from reggae to punk undertones. Its a great album to get you in the mood to go out and party.
  37. MarcAndreB
    May 9, 2005
    Wow! i know i told you earlier this year that arcade fire was the best cd of the year...but the walls in my living room are no more since i putted this bloc party in my system! So melodic, intense... some kind of pop-rock-psychedelic-dance your ass off!!! I must admit it, this is my new baby!
  38. carlos
    May 16, 2005
    like....good skills and songs.
  39. TravisS
    May 17, 2005
    This album is the best I've heard of 2005 thus far. I'd like to know the music the people like that gave this album lower than a 7. I can understand people hating all the pop indie-rock british albums coming into the U.S., but this band can't be put aside. Their lyrics, melodies and beats are all really good. Anybody who likes a good upbeat indie-rock album should pick this up.
  40. Fuji
    May 18, 2005
    I live in Australia and had not heard of Bloc Party until a friend called me up and told me it was "doing his head in" how good this album was. I then saw it in a sydney cd store and did something ive never done before and thats buy an album based on a friend having never heard any of it. I put it in the car and by the time i got 500 meters down the street i was a fan. By the time id I live in Australia and had not heard of Bloc Party until a friend called me up and told me it was "doing his head in" how good this album was. I then saw it in a sydney cd store and did something ive never done before and thats buy an album based on a friend having never heard any of it. I put it in the car and by the time i got 500 meters down the street i was a fan. By the time id driven the 4 hour drive home i was a total addict. This is by far the best CD of 2005. Nothing will beat it either.Amazing stuff. Cant wait to see em live in Sydney. God Bless Bloc Party Expand
  41. gusmac
    May 18, 2005
    ok album nothing spectacular
  42. Andrew
    May 20, 2005
    Stunning album...........songs that take over your mind and body....
  43. BrandonB
    May 23, 2005
    They take their winning sound and formula and mold it into 14 songs each with their own unique and interesting personalities. The strongest set yet by a new wave dance rock outfit.
  44. tim
    May 25, 2005
    pretty f-ing good, but some of the tracks are too emo-y for my exquisite pallete. listen to modest mouse. if you do not like them, you do not deserve to have ears.
  45. benb
    May 26, 2005
    quality album, realy mellow and chilled out!! dont leave home without this in your car!!
  46. Ben
    May 29, 2005
    First Nine songs all amazing. Then a little lull, hence the 9, but amazing last three songs. Best rock CD since OK Computer.
  47. mikes
    Jun 2, 2005
    Has the same elements that Gang of Four did on Entertainment! , it sounds fantastic. My favorite so far this year.
  48. JeremyJ
    Jun 5, 2005
    It's feel good music. There isn't a serious and political overtone like much of rock music today. Just feel good music when we all desperately need to.
  49. arnaud
    Jun 12, 2005
    sheer brilliance: magnificent lyrics, more than accurate drums, fascinating voice, thrilling guitar riffs and so on. This will be one of the life defining albums that i'll allways remember
  50. LupoLupo
    Jun 13, 2005
    A very great album!!
  51. Stephen
    Jun 16, 2005
    Stellar album, among the best I've heard in the past 2 or 3 years. It isn't bogged down by the numbing simplicity of some of the bands they are for some strange reason clumped with; the songs are varied, and the arrangements can be very intricate. The rhythm section is incredibly tight, and Kele's vocals aren't the most tuneful, but have a subtly fierce, soulful Stellar album, among the best I've heard in the past 2 or 3 years. It isn't bogged down by the numbing simplicity of some of the bands they are for some strange reason clumped with; the songs are varied, and the arrangements can be very intricate. The rhythm section is incredibly tight, and Kele's vocals aren't the most tuneful, but have a subtly fierce, soulful quality that fits in very nicely. And the songs? Awesome. I dare you to listen to 'Banquet' and 'Price Of Gas' sitting still. Other highlights include 'Like Eating Glass', 'Helicopter' and 'So Here We Are', although most of the remaining tracks are strong as well. I don't see much appeal in 'Plans' though... not especially exciting and not especially melodic, definitely a weak spot. For the first 12 tracks though, it's among the most thrilling albums out there. Expand
  52. JeffS
    Jun 17, 2005
    A very good, solid, and most importantly complete rock album. Every track is enjoyable if not memorable.
  53. BennyB
    Jun 21, 2005
    A brilliant debut. What a drummer!
  54. CraigB
    Jun 25, 2005
    What a debut. Incredible, fast-paced drumming slightly Taylor Hawkins-esque (Foo Fighters). Very talented drumming solos at stages inncluding those on the opening track, "Like eating glass". The 2 guitars used by lead singer Kele Okereke and Russell Lissack go together perfectly, creating a perfect blend of laid back guitar rock and fast paced punk rock. The vocals from Kele stream with a What a debut. Incredible, fast-paced drumming slightly Taylor Hawkins-esque (Foo Fighters). Very talented drumming solos at stages inncluding those on the opening track, "Like eating glass". The 2 guitars used by lead singer Kele Okereke and Russell Lissack go together perfectly, creating a perfect blend of laid back guitar rock and fast paced punk rock. The vocals from Kele stream with a Cockney accent. Lyrics are strange at some points, but fit in well with fast paced, feel good songs such as 'Helicopter'. The drums come out again in 'positive tension', and the opening 3 songs of the album give us the impression that the band can only have a fast an active side. Untrue as 'So here we are' shows us. An opening drum roll kind of beat builds up to Kele's stunning voice which is not evident in other parts of the album. Songs like 'So here we are' and 'This modern love' give us impressions of heart break and another side to Bloc Party. All in all, an incredibly impressive debut, and a jam packed 2005 tour will surely propel them to new heights come the end of 2005. And im going to see them twice this year! Cant wait, BP all the way. Expand
  55. PhilJ
    Jun 30, 2005
    just a great rock album..top 5 of the year!!
  56. JTown
    Jul 2, 2005
    what is not to love about this album?
  57. Sandy
    Jul 4, 2005
    A wonderful debut album of considerable power. It remains interesting throughout and even the lesser tracks are better than most of their contemporaries best efforts. Not only does this album sound fresh and exciting, it contains intricate and generally superb drumming throughout. Bloc Party are a wonderful breath of fresh air. Others have listed most of the stand-out tracks but I think A wonderful debut album of considerable power. It remains interesting throughout and even the lesser tracks are better than most of their contemporaries best efforts. Not only does this album sound fresh and exciting, it contains intricate and generally superb drumming throughout. Bloc Party are a wonderful breath of fresh air. Others have listed most of the stand-out tracks but I think She's Hearing Voices deserves a special mention. Silent Alarm is an incredible debut. Expand
  58. tome
    Jul 9, 2005
    A band who achieve vertical liftoff and maintain horizontal balance beam rhythm at the same time. Impish implosions offset by chordal harmonic explorations allows for multiple live interpretations. It boxes and unravels like string theory itself. Great musical physics and enlightening metaphysics make the beat danceable and reverential in alternating patterns. A booster shot for the whole body.
  59. Jerome
    Jul 12, 2005
    Before 2005 i was obsessed with old school hip hop but have made a complete turn in taste due to this album. Bloc Party are just perfect with every track they make. Each song is so incredible that its hard to pick a favourite, but This Modern Love would have to stand out against the others because of its raw emotion. 10/10
  60. BlakeT
    Jul 12, 2005
    Incredible. Just when you think it's getting a little repetitive, it shoots off into another amazing direction. One of the best efforts of the last 5 years
  61. AliC
    Jul 14, 2005
    Yep, it's great. And my girlfriend thinks so too. So there.
  62. MatthewL
    Jul 15, 2005
    Consistently good, occasionally very good, but never great.
  63. laurah
    Jul 21, 2005
    i love this album..its the best...but i dont like the last song complaments its rubbish..i love banquet,this modren love,like eatin glass and all of them reali
  64. Poldo
    Jul 22, 2005
    the best punkish album i've ever listened to! nothing more to add. this album is wicked awesome
  65. RasmusL
    Aug 5, 2005
    There's absolutely no doubt about it. The songs are so poignant and intelligent. Believe me, a few tears have ran down my cheeks at some point when I have listened to songs like Blue Light, Plans and This Modern Love. And then there is Banquet
  66. AidanD
    Aug 9, 2005
    First time of listening,after the most draining day, sent the most invigorating naturally high fused pulse trough my body,just couldnt help but get up and dance!
  67. GlennM
    Aug 26, 2005
    better than most of the crap bands that this one is related with (killers, futureheads, kaiserchiefs, franz ferdinand) but still is not special at all
  68. AlexeyA
    Aug 27, 2005
    No question - it's an album of the year! Truly an insperational work. A pleasure to listen.
  69. Roly
    Aug 28, 2005
    Class
  70. AbidshanJ
    Sep 15, 2005
    Bloc Party makes The Killers, The Bravery, Kaiser Cheifs, and Franz Ferdinand sound like a complete joke.
  71. Jim
    Sep 18, 2005
    this albulm is a bloody masterpiece.One the first play it sounds rather bland but man it just keeps getting better along with franz, razorlight and the streets this is one of the best albums to come out of britian in 05, Kele is the man.
  72. lucab
    Sep 19, 2005
    i find the first part of the album a breathtaking 1-2-3-4! this album is catchy, but better than the others of the same "cathegory"; they're good performers too.
  73. BenS
    Sep 24, 2005
    After many slightly half arsed drabby indie bands the blocs are a breath of fresh air. Despite frontman kele's repeated attempts to estrange his fans this album is pure quality. 'helicopter' and 'banquet' come off catchy, raw rocky riffs into pop perfection while 'so here we are' and 'blue light' are compelling and beautiful. @paoitive After many slightly half arsed drabby indie bands the blocs are a breath of fresh air. Despite frontman kele's repeated attempts to estrange his fans this album is pure quality. 'helicopter' and 'banquet' come off catchy, raw rocky riffs into pop perfection while 'so here we are' and 'blue light' are compelling and beautiful. @paoitive tension' the only let down Expand
  74. toby
    Oct 9, 2005
    just a really good album. Its so raw and desperate you can just leave it on repeat for hours on end
  75. EmiliyaP
    Dec 4, 2005
    Definitely the best moment of 2005
  76. David
    Dec 5, 2005
    Amazing. Album of the year.
  77. Ryan
    Dec 17, 2005
    Fantastic album, well written down too the last chord. Some of the songs take a few listens to get there, but Compliments, Pioneers, and Positive Tension take me there.
  78. avid
    Dec 19, 2005
    it's actually a 9.5 for me. it could get better. but it's definitely the best record i bought this year. banquet just really pulls every string. you can't not love bloc party.
  79. SteveL
    Dec 30, 2005
    The best CD I've picked up in a long, long time.
  80. SeanD.
    Jan 4, 2006
    album of the year.
  81. MattA
    Jan 11, 2006
    I knew that this album was very, very good when I heard it back in march, but it really has held up well over the course of the year and is still, along with Wolf Parade, Okkervil RIver, Sufjan Stevens, and The National, one of 2005's absolute best albums.
  82. NathnL
    Jan 25, 2006
    best album ever
  83. DaveK
    Jan 25, 2006
    Bravo! Best band of 2005 indeed!
  84. NicoleN
    Feb 21, 2006
    intelligent, original, accessible. great. my favorite album of 2005.
  85. hollyg
    Feb 26, 2006
    awesome. dont you just love the drumming in like eating glass?
  86. stevenh
    Mar 31, 2006
    this is the best album i have ever heard! bloc party is a really good band. even if you dont like this genre of music you might like it!
  87. hhovesharted
    Apr 9, 2006
    bloc party the best band in britain
  88. BlakeM
    Apr 16, 2006
    Fantastic easily the best album of 2005, So here We Are may be the best song of all time its nearly perfect. great music form song 1 to 13 even the last song is a ripper, listen to this album
  89. MattW
    Apr 25, 2006
    If this album is' re-inventing the wheel' as they say in one of their songs, it is a much better wheel than the old one, sporting 22" chrome alloys, spinners and some fat formula 1 tyres. Bloc Party have produced a bouncy, uplifting, powerful album with killer riffs and some surprising kasabian-esque melancholy moments. Cool as hell.
  90. DanielH
    Jul 1, 2006
    After this album I'd have to say Bloc party is my favorite band. I love every song on this album excpet Plans and Compliments, which seem slower and less dynamic.
  91. JohnB
    Jul 22, 2006
    Silent Alarm really holds up well over time and never gets old which is a sign of a great album. I look forward to what this band can give us in the future.
  92. c
    Jul 24, 2006
    One of the best albums ive heard in the past few years. They have a mix of emotion and great songs. Personally one of my favourite bands...
  93. GabrielC
    Aug 17, 2006
    Saw them live in Boston...Amazing Amazing Amazing!!!!!!
  94. zdw
    Dec 10, 2014
    Gets everything right as far as I'm concerned. Has a very energetic, melodic feel. You might not care for the vocalist - Kele Okereke has a heavy accent and sometimes sings slightly off key, but in my opinion not enough to negatively affect the album, but actually adds character to it and couldn't imagine this album without Okereke's vocals.

Banquet is by far my favorite, the "turning

Banquet is by far my favorite, the "turning into myself" line has everything - the harmonics of the layered guitars, the start-and-stop tight mix of drumming and bass. The "I can't eat, I can't sleep" of "Like Eating Glass, the "so **** useless" coupled with the solo at the end of Positive Tension, everything about "Helicopter". This album is a true gem. I'm not one who usually enjoys most indie rock, but this has the energy and melody of pop punk with the thick sound of indie rock, and it works so well I'm surprised I don't see many others doing it, at least as well as Bloc Party has with this album.
  95. MichaelM
    Nov 18, 2006
    Innovative, magical, inspiring, pleasure to listen to...
  96. BobJ
    Dec 5, 2006
    Awesome album
  97. OscarP
    Dec 25, 2006
    Every song is "THE SONG". It's absolutley amazing. And you can listen to this for ages without getting realy bored of it.
  98. SeyiO
    Jan 17, 2007
    Absolutely awesome band.
  99. JackM
    Feb 15, 2007
    Unreal Been Listening to is since it came out
  100. TM
    Apr 7, 2007
    Can be summed up in the all holy phrase, "no filler".

1. Silent Alarm is dance rock, but highly caffeinated.
  2. Blender
    Occasional flashes of brilliance transcend the deja-vu pastiche. [Apr 2005, p.113]
  3. Removing the formulae and sensual stimuli from the Party leaves little that’s substantive or innovative. Even the most cursory of examinations would show the group to be an “it” band and not much else. However, Bloc Party’s absurdly good at being an “it” on Silent Alarm.