Silent Alarm

8.9

Review this album

1. Feb 4, 2016
    tight riffs riding on steady beats, this album affords a great variety of sounds and harmonies throughout its duration that checks every box and then some. its light and dark when it needs to be, necessary for any prolonged listen. even after all these years, very few indie LPs can hold a candle to this gem - this unfortunately includes bloc party's later offerings.
  2. Nov 13, 2015
    Such a great album! Every song is great and looped this album about 100 times! Silent alarm turned 10 years old this year and the songs have aged very well and still sound great. The lowest moments of the album like the song "Plans' or "Luno" are still great songs and I'm honestly haven't gotten more radio play. It's honestly a shame not more people listen to Bloc Party.
  3. zdw
    Dec 10, 2014
    Gets everything right as far as I'm concerned. Has a very energetic, melodic feel. You might not care for the vocalist - Kele Okereke has a heavy accent and sometimes sings slightly off key, but in my opinion not enough to negatively affect the album, but actually adds character to it and couldn't imagine this album without Okereke's vocals.

Banquet is by far my favorite, the "turning

Banquet is by far my favorite, the "turning into myself" line has everything - the harmonics of the layered guitars, the start-and-stop tight mix of drumming and bass. The "I can't eat, I can't sleep" of "Like Eating Glass, the "so **** useless" coupled with the solo at the end of Positive Tension, everything about "Helicopter". This album is a true gem. I'm not one who usually enjoys most indie rock, but this has the energy and melody of pop punk with the thick sound of indie rock, and it works so well I'm surprised I don't see many others doing it, at least as well as Bloc Party has with this album.
  4. May 13, 2014
    It's nice but a bit boring, the same music, i expect something good for the next album..................................................................................
    .........................
  5. Dec 20, 2013
    Genius, just genius. This debut album is probably the best i've heard in ages. Too many tunes that you would like to listen to over and over again, people who don't rate this album obviously don't understand music.
  6. Jun 1, 2012
    The run time of the album or the run time of each of the individual songs are of no concern. Whether or not you'll enjoy it is of real concern to you. Which you will, trust me. Donâ
  7. Dec 18, 2011
    One of the most catchy and musically beautiful albums I've heard. Every track had me jamming to it and every listen made me want to listen again. There is nothing to hate about this album.
  8. Nov 7, 2011
    Cracking debut from a band who have been pushing themselves from the start. 13 tracks and not a bad one to be found. Still sounds great years later. Fantastic guitar hooks, sublime bass lines and outstanding drumming. Musically hard to find fault, however the vocals/lyrics are the only thing this band don't excel at here.
  9. Dec 30, 2010
    Silent Alarm is a great debut album. The songs are really catchy and I loved each one of them. The vocals were amazing and the musicianship is great. All In All, Silent Alarm is a great album. A-
  10. Dec 26, 2010
    The most passionate, inventive and intense indie album out there with many different colliding ideas and soaring ambitions, all packed into 13 unforgettable songs. Whenever I listen to this album, I find something new and always realise that its a new discovery. Greatly layered guitar work, passionate vocals, impressive drumming and melodic bass lines and I have to say it is always rareThe most passionate, inventive and intense indie album out there with many different colliding ideas and soaring ambitions, all packed into 13 unforgettable songs. Whenever I listen to this album, I find something new and always realise that its a new discovery. Greatly layered guitar work, passionate vocals, impressive drumming and melodic bass lines and I have to say it is always rare for any artist to have a good chemistry. Expand
  11. AndreI.
    Sep 29, 2007
    One of my favorite albums.
  12. RobertS.
    Sep 16, 2007
    One of my favourite albums of all time. can never get bored of this.
  13. CassieD.
    Sep 8, 2007
    This is my favourite album ever. Although there are no songs that stand out particularly the album as a whole brims with so much energy. Those who rated it a zero probably look for cheap thrills in their music. This is an album for life.
  14. JeffM
    Aug 30, 2007
    Bloc Party is by far one of the best new and upcoming bands, and this album alone is one of the best albums in the past 20 years. Truly amazing.
  15. MarkusR
    Aug 5, 2007
    An excellent introduction to a band with new ideas, a new sound, and nothing to prove to anyone, but themselves with their music. An auditory adventure with insightful lyrics, backed by one of the best drummers in the independent genre. Check out some of the more overlooked tracks like "Plans" and "Luno," and get moved by "Pioneers" and "Helicopter."
  16. jordanP
    Jul 28, 2007
    Personally I love Bloc Party and there songs are awesome. But I wouldn't recommend Bloc Party to everyone but I would recommend the song Like Eating Glass. My personal fav is Pioneers for its climatic ending.
  17. AdamW
    Jul 6, 2007
    Okay album - sounds terrible though - really bad mastering - flat and dull. Just a horrible sound. Passable for the ipod, but think I'm going to take the CD back and get a refund as it just sounds totally sh*t through the stereo.
  18. diegoP.
    Jun 30, 2007
    impossible to be still while listening to it!
  19. CaseyRDubya
    May 10, 2007
    Sounds dated and dull! This marked the downfall of british music in 05. Fortunately Art Brut and the Go! Team revised it later in the year.
  20. Paco
    May 1, 2007
    Very, very overated. Nothing good about this.
  21. Duncan
    Apr 27, 2007
    This is a brilliant album with songs for all moods. It's a shame people feel then need to compare Bloc Party to Franz Ferdinand just because they're the current popular band.
  22. TM
    Apr 7, 2007
    Can be summed up in the all holy phrase, "no filler".
  23. DD
    Apr 2, 2007
    This album is pure garbage, nuff said.
  24. LJ
    Mar 31, 2007
    Mega crap! Wow, I don't why people love this. The lead singer can't even sing. If you want great music, listen to Hard-Fi and Editors who are much better.
  25. BobbyW
    Feb 27, 2007
    Vastly overrated. The singles are decent, the rest is utterly forgettable tripe that wasn't all that interesting when it was written in the 80s. The "political commentary" is a bore and unoriginal, especially framed by Kele's irritating voice. "A Weekend in the City" is worse though, so cheers on having produced your best album.
  26. JackM
    Feb 15, 2007
    Unreal Been Listening to is since it came out
  27. SeyiO
    Jan 17, 2007
    Absolutely awesome band.
  28. OscarP
    Dec 25, 2006
    Every song is "THE SONG". It's absolutley amazing. And you can listen to this for ages without getting realy bored of it.
  29. BobJ
    Dec 5, 2006
    Awesome album
  30. time
    Dec 2, 2006
    Very dissapointing :-(
  31. MichaelM
    Nov 18, 2006
    Innovative, magical, inspiring, pleasure to listen to...
  32. GabrielC
    Aug 17, 2006
    Saw them live in Boston...Amazing Amazing Amazing!!!!!!
  33. c
    Jul 24, 2006
    One of the best albums ive heard in the past few years. They have a mix of emotion and great songs. Personally one of my favourite bands...
  34. JohnB
    Jul 22, 2006
    Silent Alarm really holds up well over time and never gets old which is a sign of a great album. I look forward to what this band can give us in the future.
  35. DanielH
    Jul 1, 2006
    After this album I'd have to say Bloc party is my favorite band. I love every song on this album excpet Plans and Compliments, which seem slower and less dynamic.
  36. MattW
    Apr 25, 2006
    If this album is' re-inventing the wheel' as they say in one of their songs, it is a much better wheel than the old one, sporting 22" chrome alloys, spinners and some fat formula 1 tyres. Bloc Party have produced a bouncy, uplifting, powerful album with killer riffs and some surprising kasabian-esque melancholy moments. Cool as hell.
  37. BlakeM
    Apr 16, 2006
    Fantastic easily the best album of 2005, So here We Are may be the best song of all time its nearly perfect. great music form song 1 to 13 even the last song is a ripper, listen to this album
  38. hhovesharted
    Apr 9, 2006
    bloc party the best band in britain
  39. stevenh
    Mar 31, 2006
    this is the best album i have ever heard! bloc party is a really good band. even if you dont like this genre of music you might like it!
  40. juckes
    Mar 9, 2006
    just can't seem to get into this album, the banquet is an excellent song and will appeal to everyone. I can see why people like this band but i wouldn't call them the best band of 2005, lol, not a chance
  41. hollyg
    Feb 26, 2006
    awesome. dont you just love the drumming in like eating glass?
  42. NicoleN
    Feb 21, 2006
    intelligent, original, accessible. great. my favorite album of 2005.
  43. DaveK
    Jan 25, 2006
    Bravo! Best band of 2005 indeed!
  44. NathnL
    Jan 25, 2006
    best album ever
  45. MattA
    Jan 11, 2006
    I knew that this album was very, very good when I heard it back in march, but it really has held up well over the course of the year and is still, along with Wolf Parade, Okkervil RIver, Sufjan Stevens, and The National, one of 2005's absolute best albums.
  46. SeanD.
    Jan 4, 2006
    album of the year.
  47. SteveL
    Dec 30, 2005
    The best CD I've picked up in a long, long time.
  48. avid
    Dec 19, 2005
    it's actually a 9.5 for me. it could get better. but it's definitely the best record i bought this year. banquet just really pulls every string. you can't not love bloc party.
  49. Ryan
    Dec 17, 2005
    Fantastic album, well written down too the last chord. Some of the songs take a few listens to get there, but Compliments, Pioneers, and Positive Tension take me there.
  50. David
    Dec 5, 2005
    Amazing. Album of the year.
  51. EmiliyaP
    Dec 4, 2005
    Definitely the best moment of 2005
  52. toby
    Oct 9, 2005
    just a really good album. Its so raw and desperate you can just leave it on repeat for hours on end
  53. BenS
    Sep 24, 2005
    After many slightly half arsed drabby indie bands the blocs are a breath of fresh air. Despite frontman kele's repeated attempts to estrange his fans this album is pure quality. 'helicopter' and 'banquet' come off catchy, raw rocky riffs into pop perfection while 'so here we are' and 'blue light' are compelling and beautiful. @paoitive After many slightly half arsed drabby indie bands the blocs are a breath of fresh air. Despite frontman kele's repeated attempts to estrange his fans this album is pure quality. 'helicopter' and 'banquet' come off catchy, raw rocky riffs into pop perfection while 'so here we are' and 'blue light' are compelling and beautiful. @paoitive tension' the only let down Expand
  54. lucab
    Sep 19, 2005
    i find the first part of the album a breathtaking 1-2-3-4! this album is catchy, but better than the others of the same "cathegory"; they're good performers too.
  55. Jim
    Sep 18, 2005
    this albulm is a bloody masterpiece.One the first play it sounds rather bland but man it just keeps getting better along with franz, razorlight and the streets this is one of the best albums to come out of britian in 05, Kele is the man.
  56. AbidshanJ
    Sep 15, 2005
    Bloc Party makes The Killers, The Bravery, Kaiser Cheifs, and Franz Ferdinand sound like a complete joke.
  57. Roly
    Aug 28, 2005
    Class
  58. AlexeyA
    Aug 27, 2005
    No question - it's an album of the year! Truly an insperational work. A pleasure to listen.
  59. GlennM
    Aug 26, 2005
    better than most of the crap bands that this one is related with (killers, futureheads, kaiserchiefs, franz ferdinand) but still is not special at all
  60. AidanD
    Aug 9, 2005
    First time of listening,after the most draining day, sent the most invigorating naturally high fused pulse trough my body,just couldnt help but get up and dance!
  61. RasmusL
    Aug 5, 2005
    There's absolutely no doubt about it. The songs are so poignant and intelligent. Believe me, a few tears have ran down my cheeks at some point when I have listened to songs like Blue Light, Plans and This Modern Love. And then there is Banquet
  62. naja
    Aug 1, 2005
    This album is overhyped and overrated. We have a collection of some sophisticated, catchy, dancey, post-punk music. And that's it. Nothing groundbreaking, none of that "re-invention" of rock and roll, just another album put out by hipsters who are trying to milk what today's adolescents are into for all it's worth. Plainly put, they're average. The music isn't This album is overhyped and overrated. We have a collection of some sophisticated, catchy, dancey, post-punk music. And that's it. Nothing groundbreaking, none of that "re-invention" of rock and roll, just another album put out by hipsters who are trying to milk what today's adolescents are into for all it's worth. Plainly put, they're average. The music isn't bad. It's not amazing, but it's easy to see as to why critics are drewling over this album and why any wannabe indie teen in the states loves this band. Expand
  63. Poldo
    Jul 22, 2005
    the best punkish album i've ever listened to! nothing more to add. this album is wicked awesome
  64. laurah
    Jul 21, 2005
    i love this album..its the best...but i dont like the last song complaments its rubbish..i love banquet,this modren love,like eatin glass and all of them reali
  65. MatthewL
    Jul 15, 2005
    Consistently good, occasionally very good, but never great.
  66. AliC
    Jul 14, 2005
    Yep, it's great. And my girlfriend thinks so too. So there.
  67. BlakeT
    Jul 12, 2005
    Incredible. Just when you think it's getting a little repetitive, it shoots off into another amazing direction. One of the best efforts of the last 5 years
  68. Jerome
    Jul 12, 2005
    Before 2005 i was obsessed with old school hip hop but have made a complete turn in taste due to this album. Bloc Party are just perfect with every track they make. Each song is so incredible that its hard to pick a favourite, but This Modern Love would have to stand out against the others because of its raw emotion. 10/10
  69. tome
    Jul 9, 2005
    A band who achieve vertical liftoff and maintain horizontal balance beam rhythm at the same time. Impish implosions offset by chordal harmonic explorations allows for multiple live interpretations. It boxes and unravels like string theory itself. Great musical physics and enlightening metaphysics make the beat danceable and reverential in alternating patterns. A booster shot for the whole body.
  70. Sandy
    Jul 4, 2005
    A wonderful debut album of considerable power. It remains interesting throughout and even the lesser tracks are better than most of their contemporaries best efforts. Not only does this album sound fresh and exciting, it contains intricate and generally superb drumming throughout. Bloc Party are a wonderful breath of fresh air. Others have listed most of the stand-out tracks but I think A wonderful debut album of considerable power. It remains interesting throughout and even the lesser tracks are better than most of their contemporaries best efforts. Not only does this album sound fresh and exciting, it contains intricate and generally superb drumming throughout. Bloc Party are a wonderful breath of fresh air. Others have listed most of the stand-out tracks but I think She's Hearing Voices deserves a special mention. Silent Alarm is an incredible debut. Expand
  71. JTown
    Jul 2, 2005
    what is not to love about this album?
  72. PhilJ
    Jun 30, 2005
    just a great rock album..top 5 of the year!!
  73. CraigB
    Jun 25, 2005
    What a debut. Incredible, fast-paced drumming slightly Taylor Hawkins-esque (Foo Fighters). Very talented drumming solos at stages inncluding those on the opening track, "Like eating glass". The 2 guitars used by lead singer Kele Okereke and Russell Lissack go together perfectly, creating a perfect blend of laid back guitar rock and fast paced punk rock. The vocals from Kele stream with a What a debut. Incredible, fast-paced drumming slightly Taylor Hawkins-esque (Foo Fighters). Very talented drumming solos at stages inncluding those on the opening track, "Like eating glass". The 2 guitars used by lead singer Kele Okereke and Russell Lissack go together perfectly, creating a perfect blend of laid back guitar rock and fast paced punk rock. The vocals from Kele stream with a Cockney accent. Lyrics are strange at some points, but fit in well with fast paced, feel good songs such as 'Helicopter'. The drums come out again in 'positive tension', and the opening 3 songs of the album give us the impression that the band can only have a fast an active side. Untrue as 'So here we are' shows us. An opening drum roll kind of beat builds up to Kele's stunning voice which is not evident in other parts of the album. Songs like 'So here we are' and 'This modern love' give us impressions of heart break and another side to Bloc Party. All in all, an incredibly impressive debut, and a jam packed 2005 tour will surely propel them to new heights come the end of 2005. And im going to see them twice this year! Cant wait, BP all the way. Expand
  74. BennyB
    Jun 21, 2005
    A brilliant debut. What a drummer!
  75. JeffS
    Jun 17, 2005
    A very good, solid, and most importantly complete rock album. Every track is enjoyable if not memorable.
  76. SYanoff
    Jun 17, 2005
    There's some catchy stuff on here, but it's just not a stunner.
  77. Stephen
    Jun 16, 2005
    Stellar album, among the best I've heard in the past 2 or 3 years. It isn't bogged down by the numbing simplicity of some of the bands they are for some strange reason clumped with; the songs are varied, and the arrangements can be very intricate. The rhythm section is incredibly tight, and Kele's vocals aren't the most tuneful, but have a subtly fierce, soulful Stellar album, among the best I've heard in the past 2 or 3 years. It isn't bogged down by the numbing simplicity of some of the bands they are for some strange reason clumped with; the songs are varied, and the arrangements can be very intricate. The rhythm section is incredibly tight, and Kele's vocals aren't the most tuneful, but have a subtly fierce, soulful quality that fits in very nicely. And the songs? Awesome. I dare you to listen to 'Banquet' and 'Price Of Gas' sitting still. Other highlights include 'Like Eating Glass', 'Helicopter' and 'So Here We Are', although most of the remaining tracks are strong as well. I don't see much appeal in 'Plans' though... not especially exciting and not especially melodic, definitely a weak spot. For the first 12 tracks though, it's among the most thrilling albums out there. Expand
  78. LupoLupo
    Jun 13, 2005
    A very great album!!
  79. arnaud
    Jun 12, 2005
    sheer brilliance: magnificent lyrics, more than accurate drums, fascinating voice, thrilling guitar riffs and so on. This will be one of the life defining albums that i'll allways remember
  80. JeremyJ
    Jun 5, 2005
    It's feel good music. There isn't a serious and political overtone like much of rock music today. Just feel good music when we all desperately need to.
  81. mikes
    Jun 2, 2005
    Has the same elements that Gang of Four did on Entertainment! , it sounds fantastic. My favorite so far this year.
  82. ste
    Jun 1, 2005
    Descent album with 3 exceptional tracks - positive tension/price of gas/banquet, some good moments in opening track, helicopter, this modern love and pioneers, and some boring songs you can't avoid.
  83. Ben
    May 29, 2005
    First Nine songs all amazing. Then a little lull, hence the 9, but amazing last three songs. Best rock CD since OK Computer.
  84. benb
    May 26, 2005
    quality album, realy mellow and chilled out!! dont leave home without this in your car!!
  85. tim
    May 25, 2005
    pretty f-ing good, but some of the tracks are too emo-y for my exquisite pallete. listen to modest mouse. if you do not like them, you do not deserve to have ears.
  86. BrandonB
    May 23, 2005
    They take their winning sound and formula and mold it into 14 songs each with their own unique and interesting personalities. The strongest set yet by a new wave dance rock outfit.
  87. Andrew
    May 20, 2005
    Stunning album...........songs that take over your mind and body....
  88. gusmac
    May 18, 2005
    ok album nothing spectacular
  89. Fuji
    May 18, 2005
    I live in Australia and had not heard of Bloc Party until a friend called me up and told me it was "doing his head in" how good this album was. I then saw it in a sydney cd store and did something ive never done before and thats buy an album based on a friend having never heard any of it. I put it in the car and by the time i got 500 meters down the street i was a fan. By the time id I live in Australia and had not heard of Bloc Party until a friend called me up and told me it was "doing his head in" how good this album was. I then saw it in a sydney cd store and did something ive never done before and thats buy an album based on a friend having never heard any of it. I put it in the car and by the time i got 500 meters down the street i was a fan. By the time id driven the 4 hour drive home i was a total addict. This is by far the best CD of 2005. Nothing will beat it either.Amazing stuff. Cant wait to see em live in Sydney. God Bless Bloc Party Expand
  90. TravisS
    May 17, 2005
    This album is the best I've heard of 2005 thus far. I'd like to know the music the people like that gave this album lower than a 7. I can understand people hating all the pop indie-rock british albums coming into the U.S., but this band can't be put aside. Their lyrics, melodies and beats are all really good. Anybody who likes a good upbeat indie-rock album should pick this up.
  91. carlos
    May 16, 2005
    like....good skills and songs.
  92. MarcAndreB
    May 9, 2005
    Wow! i know i told you earlier this year that arcade fire was the best cd of the year...but the walls in my living room are no more since i putted this bloc party in my system! So melodic, intense... some kind of pop-rock-psychedelic-dance your ass off!!! I must admit it, this is my new baby!
  93. ericar
    May 7, 2005
    This album is not your regular indie album. You hear everythign from reggae to punk undertones. Its a great album to get you in the mood to go out and party.
  94. matthews
    May 3, 2005
    eric m... this cd is good, and just because they are "popular" (where I'm from, Regina, it's not exactly mainstream) does not mean they are not talented. This album shows promise and I hope to see a follow up album by Bloc Part.
  95. MikeG
    May 2, 2005
    This is the best record of the year so far. One of the best live acts as well, which took place at the stick. Long live the Magic Stick in Detroit!!!
  96. MikeS
    Apr 29, 2005
    It make take a solid listen or two, but if you give it a chance this album will grow on you. In my opinion Best first offering since Arcade Fire and for me it's the easiest to listen all the way through since Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Given the hype, I expected this to be a lot better than it is. Sounds similar to The Killers, Interpol, etc. I'm getting tired of the 80's new wave throw-back sound.
  98. markw
    Apr 26, 2005
    Silent Alarm is a diverse and extremely competent album. Many of the tracks shine individually and with an impressive consistenty of quality - there's barely a bad track on it. Bands that offer this consistency are a rare thing. I'm sick of seeing them compared to Franz Ferdinand. Bloc Party are way better and have none of the pretentiousness of FF. Bloc Party's lead singer Silent Alarm is a diverse and extremely competent album. Many of the tracks shine individually and with an impressive consistenty of quality - there's barely a bad track on it. Bands that offer this consistency are a rare thing. I'm sick of seeing them compared to Franz Ferdinand. Bloc Party are way better and have none of the pretentiousness of FF. Bloc Party's lead singer has a way better voice too! Expand
  99. CeilingTiles
    Apr 25, 2005
    People with bad taste be warned -- This is not for you.
  100. MarkK
    Apr 24, 2005
    The first 4 tracks are really really good. However, the rest is, it seems, mediocre at times. Its a good album. However, after the first good week of listening I've moved to just listening to songs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8.

1. Silent Alarm is dance rock, but highly caffeinated.
  2. Blender
    Occasional flashes of brilliance transcend the deja-vu pastiche. [Apr 2005, p.113]
  3. Removing the formulae and sensual stimuli from the Party leaves little that’s substantive or innovative. Even the most cursory of examinations would show the group to be an “it” band and not much else. However, Bloc Party’s absurdly good at being an “it” on Silent Alarm.