Smother - Wild Beasts
8.5

Review this album

1. May 10, 2011
    The rate at which Wild Beasts are improving is absolutely horrifying. Two Dancers was incredible, but it snuck through 2009 somewhat overlooked and underrated. My expectations after that album were quite high, but Smother is even better than I hoped. Wild Beasts have expanded their already very unique sonic palette, and they've produced a more subtle yet more powerful album this time around. 2011 is shaping up to be a great year for music, but I'll be surprised if anything manages to top this for the rest of the year. Smother is that good. I wish the rest of 2011 the best of luck. Expand
  2. Oct 29, 2011
    Wild Beasts have toned down the vocal theatrics in this album, especially in comparison to their two previous albums, however this does not detract from the album at all. Smother is filled with moments of dazzling beauty and is easily one of the top albums of 2011.
  3. Jul 14, 2011
    Two Dancers is probably the best soundtrack to/about sex you'll ever hear this year, with Thorpe's appealing voice leading to a world of songs than lean in lighter-than-air-synths, lush guitars and powerful lyrics sung by one of the most wonderful pair of vocalists on game right now on top of their games.
    More: http://oianita.blogspot.com/2011/07/wild-beasts-smother.html
  4. May 11, 2011
    A up and coming band makes their first masterpiece.I enjoyed there last cd but as one reviewer wrote,it was a little "bombastic" at times.
    Smother has the layered sounds and complexities I expect from bands like Radiohead who arguably
    put out Alternative Rock's finest album in OK computer.
  5. May 29, 2011
    Amazing album. It took me a couple of listens to really appreciate it. I love it. This and Destroyers Kaputt are my Top 2 so far this year. It has a new edgy sound couple with great lyrics. Will be recognized as one of the Top 3 albums of 2011.
  6. Jun 11, 2011
    Beautifully textures are just flowing through this album from start to end. Completely mesmerizing and entrancing melodies with lush instruments and vocals. If you are looking for an album to get you into 2011 mode, stop searching. Just stop. I've listened to a lot this year and this is just on another level. Don't think about it, just buy this. Make sure to listen to this album with a good reliable set of headphones that pick up the subtle background sounds. If you are a fan of artistic subtle well crafted music that comes together in gorgeous well polished melodies, it's hard to find better than this. Expand
  7. May 10, 2011
    After the bombastic flair of its predecessor, TWO DANCERS, Wild Beasts have shifted in a new direction. The intrinsic humor and pace of TWO DANCERS has been replaced with a more nuanced, melodic tone on SMOTHER. The songs are predominately slower, more intimate and ultimately show signs of a maturing band. I was a huge fan of TWO DANCERS, but was wary when it came to taking the band seriously as far as their longevity was concerned. I shouldn't have been worried. Wild Beasts have grown into their next album, and it is certainly going to be seen as one of the best albums of 2011. Standouts from the album include the sultry "Loop the Loop", the tingling "Reach a Bit Further" and the assuredly climactic "End Come Too Soon", most likely to be a underrated track from this work. In the end, SMOTHER is an album that should be given due consideration. Admittedly, it isn't quite as lively or catchy as TWO DANCERS. But it's a far darker and more personal work this time around. SMOTHER is going to catapult Wild Beasts to a new level of appreciation. They have the talent to back it up. Expand
  8. May 11, 2011
    Beautiful album. Loop the Loop, Plaything and End Come Too Soon are highlights, but it's a stunning, tranquil, and glorious effort. Best album of the year so far, though Goblin by Tyler the Creator and PJ Harvey's Let England Shake are also brilliant.
  9. May 13, 2011
    Album of the Year hands down, sorry GGD and TVOTR. Incredible arrangements, vocals, themes, artistic progression etc. At first I thought Two Dancers was still the pinnacle but this just sneaks up on you and pull and tugs at your brain and heart strings. And the impact is much more longlasting. Highlights obviously are Plaything and Bed of Nails but everything is a 4 or 5, it's incredible.
  10. May 14, 2011
    Easily one of the best, if not THE best, release in 2011. For better or for worse, Smother may seem, at first, like a tame storm in a box. Though, that's just what makes it so brilliant! Upon closer inspection, the tameness is merely control. Wild Beasts have created and calculated each element of this "storm" to last ending seconds. It's an astounding record from a very talented and important young band. Kudos, gentleman!! Expand
  11. May 14, 2011
    I wasn't too excited when the first single Albatross came out, but once I listened whole album I was amazed, this gem wrapped me instantly and once I listened I couldn't leave it. I'm a fan of this guys since limbo panto (rare and beautiful album, kinda underrated I think). Smother is an intimate album, stunning and beautiful from the first track 'lion's share' - hayden thorpe voice is really over the top in this album - to the glorious last track 'end come too soon'. I could say now that every single track is a highlight by itself, although my favorites are bed of nails and loop the loop. I don't think there would possibly be another release even close to this, best album of the year so far, these guys deserve all the recognition, wild beasts got me once again..I just wish I could see them live once. Expand
  12. May 15, 2011
    Most mature, most enticing, most replayable, most well-sequenced, most divine, most misty eyed, most wonderful. I blame you, I blame you for all of those things that i've been through. Wild Beasts can blame me all they like with music this good. (almost sound like a critic).
  13. Jun 23, 2011
    Smother is a beautiful album, vocals , lyrics, everything match perfectly and is on my top 3 now. These guys never fail to amaze me, same in their previous albums , if u like Smother, then u should check their entire discography (even early b-sides), give it a chance.
  14. Oct 17, 2013
    This was my top album of 2011. It is perfectly crafted. genius start to finihs. I highly recommend completing with the BSides Smother, Thankless Thing, and Stray
  15. May 17, 2011
    Once you first listen to this album, go directly to the track 8 (Reach a Bit Further). If you don't fall in love with this song, you can drop this album. Amazing but uncompromising album.

1. Sep 12, 2011
    Smother, roiling in passion often disorienting in its envelopment, is difficult to penetrate, but there is ecstasy in the succumbing.
  2. Aug 1, 2011
    It's hard to argue with the result anyway: Its slow build and aching vocals stand out as a purposeful moment of perfection on a record chock full of them.
    Although Smother isn't as suffocating as perhaps it should be, it's still an interesting venture for Wild Beasts to have taken and definitely, a worthy follow-up to Two Dancers. And so while there isn't anything as wildly inventive as maybe "Hooting & Howling" anywhere to be found, there is a great deal of lingering new sounds to get lost in.