8.9

Review this album

1. JackieO
    Apr 8, 2002
    If you'd told me after listening to Radiohead's OK Computer that rock could get any better, I'd have shot you down with a tirelessly witty insult and walked away laughing mercilessly at your ignorance. Well, now I'm going to eat my hypothetical words. This album transcends.
  2. ALex
    May 16, 2002
    This is a really good album.. It's one of those albums that surprises you... it gets better every time you listen to it.
  3. AlexD.
    Mar 5, 2002
    best ever dude
  4. ChrisC.
    Mar 7, 2002
    This band keeps getting better and better. This is a great album
  5. FM
    May 9, 2003
    Verrry Verrry Goood
  6. BobbyK
    Sep 4, 2006
    Absolutely brilliant...
  7. MichaelE
    Oct 7, 2002
    This near flawless piece of rock glory may be proof that there is a God... and He's from Texas!!! (Who woulda' thought?) Explosive stuff that blows away almost any band you've heard on the radio in years. Even the interludes are lovely and memorable. And all this despite THE pretentious band name of the year. Only Godspeed You! Black Emperor can compete anymore.
  8. SeanP.
    Feb 20, 2002
    Fearless Austin quartet make the brilliant album that I always knew they could: all killer, no filler. Picture Sonic Youth with Keith Moon drumming, and then add surprisingly poetic lyrics, and you have "Source Tags and Codes"...
  9. Brian
    Mar 4, 2002
    perfect rock album
  10. AhsanZ.
    Mar 6, 2002
    this is the best album ive heard in ages
  11. SusanH.
    Mar 6, 2002
    Revolutionary, powerful, dangerous, a breath of something new, rock-n-roll's last exhilarating lunge... or it's next great lunch.
  12. RyanC.
    Apr 19, 2002
    This band is the real deal. This album proves it. It grabs you by the nuts and squeezes.
  13. AdamC.
    Apr 29, 2002
    hmmm... quite overrated. some of the songs work well but for the most part, it's just a mess. i really like the first two songs though.
  14. DaveJ.
    May 2, 2002
    anyone who cant give this album a 9 or 10 is obviously too busy being an uber-elitist to realize that TOD is going to destroy the music world as we know it and reshape it in its own image. its that simple.
  15. MikeS
    May 3, 2002
    I picked this one up based on the decent reviews here and after enjoying the video for "Another Morning Stoner" on MTV2. Being new to the band, I did think it was a little noisy at first and can easily see why people might not get it. However after completely listening to the CD, all I wanted to do was play it over an over again. The songs really grow on you, track 5, "How Near How Far" I picked this one up based on the decent reviews here and after enjoying the video for "Another Morning Stoner" on MTV2. Being new to the band, I did think it was a little noisy at first and can easily see why people might not get it. However after completely listening to the CD, all I wanted to do was play it over an over again. The songs really grow on you, track 5, "How Near How Far" is amazing, a very cool song! This CD is definitely worth a try, just give it a chance and you'll see. Collapse
  16. thesillymofo
    Jun 11, 2002
    title track, another morning stoner and it was there that i saw you are awesome. while i'll admit that some of the other songs lag, it makes up in great production and rhythm. great indeed.
  17. TylerC.
    Jun 7, 2003
    How can you say this album is "NOWHERE NEAR GOOD??" This was without a doubt one of the best albums last year. Period. Don't be naive and say "worst crap of all time" because this is NOWHERE NEAR CRAP. Excelent Album
  18. EricM
    May 26, 2005
    One of the great rock albums of the 21st century, drowned in melody, fury, complexity, and subtlety. Trail of Dead's "White Album."
  19. Heypeople
    Jan 20, 2007
    It's just great. The songs are beautiful, strong, with wonderful arrangements... It's impossible not to like this. Buy it!
  20. DingBat
    Nov 15, 2002
    Worst band name ever.
  21. JohnF.
    Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely
  22. CarloL.
    Mar 30, 2002
    This is a scorcher. A great road album that prompts you to take the long way home. Harsh gritty music coupled with loud graceful melodies, creating an odd concoction which results in a peaceful wall of sound. They revel in this contradiction throughout the album, as lead singer belts out "let me hold you in my arms dear, and let me melt in the heat of your gaze", amid a flurry of raucous This is a scorcher. A great road album that prompts you to take the long way home. Harsh gritty music coupled with loud graceful melodies, creating an odd concoction which results in a peaceful wall of sound. They revel in this contradiction throughout the album, as lead singer belts out "let me hold you in my arms dear, and let me melt in the heat of your gaze", amid a flurry of raucous guitars. Each song is butted up against each other, giving the album a relentless appeal without wearing the listener out. Source Tags & Codes is somehow soothing, even though I find myself breaking out into random sweats as the album winds up and down. Expand
  23. EileenK.
    Mar 6, 2002
    Waited for it, bought it first day it came out, play it every day, stuck in my brain, every song laden with meaning, depth and vibrancy, fantastic art work cleverly related to each song - superb!!!
  24. AndyC
    Apr 12, 2002
    Simply the best rock album since the early 90s. Anybody who disagrees is just trying to sound smart.
  25. AdamE
    Apr 30, 2003
    Absolutely incredible album, furious, beautiful, anguished and resolutely triumphant.
  26. MichaelC
    Aug 18, 2003
    I don't know how anyone could give this less than 10, it is a truly bewildering album with an incredible level of consistency all the way through.
  27. LawrenceP
    Dec 25, 2004
    If you don't like the type of music these guys have made...after a couple listens you will. Nothing short of amazing.
  28. JonH
    Jun 30, 2004
    Good, but not great, overrated for sure.
  29. gregb
    May 10, 2005
    The only problem with this album is that at times the singing is too low and drowned-out by the instruments. Aside from that, it's great.
  30. NelsJ
    Mar 15, 2006
    Nothing can compare to the unapologetic idiosyncratic rock of this album. Implacable and awesome.
  31. SeamusS
    Mar 27, 2006
    Near Perfect A Masterpiece of this time
  32. Mikeh
    Nov 20, 2002
    the intriquite melodies and broadness of this album makes me want to listen to it over and over, its just one of those very awesome albums that comes along only once in awhile
  33. Thierry
    May 18, 2002
    Dense, intense, beautiful and complex are the main lines of this album. Though the tags and codes pattern could have been more subtile...
  34. Paul
    Jun 13, 2002
    Great album but doesn't do justice to their live show.
  35. EilisK.
    Aug 29, 2002
    Brilliant! Everyone must hear this music and see this art work!
  36. MikeF.
    Sep 17, 2002
    very very good
  37. ElricAr
    Jan 28, 2005
    This album will go down as one of the top five albums of this decade, much like albums such as "OK Computer"
  38. DudeLOVE
    Nov 21, 2006
    This album is phenomelajgag.wgr. love it.
  39. ChristopherS
    Sep 17, 2006
    excellent album
  40. Lissa---
    Nov 14, 2002
    Awsome, in the truest sense of the word. I have to play "How Near, How Far" 10 times in a row because it's so beautiful, it takes my brain on a plesure cruise around the world before i had notice i missed actually listening to it. And only the best music can do That to you!
  41. brody
    Dec 18, 2002
    great album. it holds together surpisingly well as an entire album rather than just a collection of songs. deftinitely better than i expected.
  42. May 28, 2011
    An incomprehensibly great album. It's got semi-orchestral rock down better than anyone could ever dream. Lyrically, try and find a better song than the last track on this album.
  43. Aug 11, 2011
    Beautiful, powerful music, and the nearest thing to a sonic epiphany i've had in years. Just get it - tracks like 'Heart in the Hand of the Matter' and the title track are just sublime rock music.

1. An album that absolutely cannot be ignored.
  2. Throughout, Trail Of Dead make off like indie rock legends at the top of their game.
  3. The group plays imaginative alt-rock with intense passion, and Source Tags & Codes lets the pressure build exquisitely.