Review this album

1. EdH
    Nov 9, 2006
    Easily my favourite Tortoise release. It's a cohesive, well structured album, melodic and memorable. It has enough sonic consistency to be immersive as a whole, rather than a mere colection of tracks. Anyone who thinks there is too much 'noodling' and 'rambling' needs only to get more familiar with the music.
  2. WilliamP.
    Jun 15, 2001
    Some old school fans are harking back the the '93 Debut, but I find this album blows away the harsh Fuzak of TNT which I found to be disorganized rabble, this is a fresh return to some old and new sounds, roughly attributable to the Mouse on Mars collaborations from the past? These songs play well live, I admit.
  3. DantorD.
    Nov 23, 2001
    After i watced tortoise live in belglium this year, which i rate as one of my best concerts ever, i bought the album and listened for it for one week, nam. I would've preferred a bit more "raw" sound But of course it's a matter of personal taste and Tortoise can be a bit query in the beginning. Just listen to the album over and over again, and you will love it or hate it?
  4. DwightW
    Mar 28, 2001
    Not my favorite Tortoise album... in fact, I think it's my least favorite so far... I'm not sure why the critics are hailing it as their best... I get the impression that it's one big inside joke that I'm not in on. However, it's still Tortoise, so it's still worth buying and listening to.

1. The only obvious goal seems to be shorter, more direct songs, delivered with more straightforward demeanor.
  2. Revolver
    Standards is a mature work in the best sense, an example of a rock band--yes, a rock band--that has grown into its sound and is now relaxed enough to have fun with it. [#4, p.107]
  3. Tortoise have finally integrated their influences and discovered how to do more than mimic...