• Record Label: Matador
  • Release Date: Sep 4, 2012
7.7

Review this album

1. Sep 27, 2012
    Why she's getting such good reviews for her last few albums is beyond me-probably the most sterile and emotionally dry music I heard in all my life...but Cherokee is good song,brings me some hope that she didn't lose it completely yet.
  2. Sep 8, 2012
    I have been following Cat Power since Marshall's stunning "Nude as the News" single. I have bought everything that she put out before and since. Even the left field turn to soul pop, "The Greatest" was amazing. However Sun is a bland electro-pop sell out that simply does not work. I agree with the TMT review that "its songs are mostly amalgams of tired pop music tropes/techniques and triteI have been following Cat Power since Marshall's stunning "Nude as the News" single. I have bought everything that she put out before and since. Even the left field turn to soul pop, "The Greatest" was amazing. However Sun is a bland electro-pop sell out that simply does not work. I agree with the TMT review that "its songs are mostly amalgams of tired pop music tropes/techniques and trite realizations". Well put. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2012
    Having loved everything else Cat Power has released, I wanted to love this but I just can't. I can only guess this is for listeners who don't love the rest of her work. She is of course free to move into new moods, musical styles, arrangements, and so on, but I can't join the sterile departure found here.

1. Despite its flaws, Sun is not a complete failure and does deserve to be mentioned alongside the rest of her work, if only for the comparison of how she once tried something different--a flawed but worthwhile attempt.
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Sun is undoubtedly Marshall's boldest and most diverse effort to date, and it is all the better for it.
  3. Sep 25, 2012
    What makes Sun so exquisite is that Marshall finally sounds in control of her chaos.