Sun - Cat Power
7.6

Review this album

1. Dec 2, 2012
    Unarguably the best album of this year. One might say it was a big departing from Chan's last efforts, but it was a change for good. The electro style adopted mixed perfectly with her smokey voice and always powerful songwriting. It is, at the same time, personal and universal, because she's singing about both her relations and world's. Best songs are 'Ruin' and 'Manhattan'.
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    Sun might be unexpected to come from Cat Power. But I think the sound is rather refreshing, not disappointing at all. Of course I prefer her soft-rock/sadcore sound more, but adding up some dancey beats does no harm for her already-perfect-talent. Sun is amazing in its own style, and definitely not a letdown at all.
  3. Sep 11, 2012
    I've always found her albums rather self-indulgent with all her covers and vocal gymnastics, but on this record she has let the music take centre stage. It's a great listen. Far more groovy* than previous efforts.

*Just because I said groovy, it does not mean that I am over 40. It's just the most apt word for this album.
  4. Sep 14, 2012
    The first time I listened to this album, I wanted to hate it. I'm not a big fan of electronic/pop music. But then I gave it a second listen and realized that it might be her best album yet. The way she interprets rhythms with drum machines gives the record a good groove, something that she's never really tackled before. It takes a big leap of faith to create an album that is drastically different and unexpected. This is a woman who started out with just a guitar or a piano, and her voice, and made her mark on music with very minimalist songs. She's just evolving and experimenting like every good artist should, and I think she pretty much nails it on this album. The electronic stuff takes a bit to get used to, sure, but once you really hear and understand what's going on with this one, it is a very interesting and enjoyable record. Expand
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    This is fantastic!. It's a long way from Moon Pix and You Are Free but the elements that made those albums great are there in spades: just used for very different stylistic ends. Her vocals still have that amazing, haunting phrasing and I wouldn't have crediting they could meld with electro-pop so well. And the tracks underneath, just so well judged. Everyone has either propulsive rhythmic and harmonic tension, or an fragile beauty. I haven't felt this excited about a new album for a long time. Collapse

1. Despite its flaws, Sun is not a complete failure and does deserve to be mentioned alongside the rest of her work, if only for the comparison of how she once tried something different--a flawed but worthwhile attempt.
  2. Oct 1, 2012
    Sun is undoubtedly Marshall's boldest and most diverse effort to date, and it is all the better for it.
  3. Sep 25, 2012
    What makes Sun so exquisite is that Marshall finally sounds in control of her chaos.