Supper

7.9

Review this album

1. EddieT
    May 6, 2003
    At some point during each week in the past month, I have thought I was tired of this album. "If I hear the butterfly song again, I will put my head through a window," I said. Then, two days later, I put it back in the player, and every week I find something else I really love about it. I took "Feather by Feather" for countrified schmaltz at first but now think it sort of stunning and At some point during each week in the past month, I have thought I was tired of this album. "If I hear the butterfly song again, I will put my head through a window," I said. Then, two days later, I put it back in the player, and every week I find something else I really love about it. I took "Feather by Feather" for countrified schmaltz at first but now think it sort of stunning and quietly powerful. "Our Anniversary" is worth a full-fledged obsession. After the mostly dull Rain on Lens, I thought that Mr. Callahan was maybe too tired to turn out another great one. A lot of peoples' familiarity with Smog, or their ideas of what Smog music is, will keep them from listening to this album for what it is--varied, bright, crafted, subtle, achingly gorgeous. Expand
  2. EddieT
    May 6, 2003

1. Mojo
    While the music is a combination of old Smog and new... there's a freshness here, a sense of change, and most remarkable, a real empathy on display. [May 2003, p.89]
  2. Uncut
    The tentative pop entryism evident on albums like 1999's Knock Knock is largely absent here; instead we have his gruff baritone take us through an increasingly uninteresting outlook on love and life. [May 2003, p.108]
  3. Entertainment Weekly
    Look beyond the music... to Callahan's uncanny vocals, which are placed unusually high in the mix, lending an eerily detached air to his deadpan lyrics. [25 Apr 2003, p.150]