8.7

Review this album

1. ChristopherW.
    Sep 25, 2007
    My experience with Richard Thompson has been an incredibly frustrating one. While he writes wonderful songs and has impeccable skills on the guitar, his voice (ugggg!!) has to be one of the most unpleasant and annoying of any modern singer in my memory. (Imagine this...I actually love Dylan!) It's too bad really! If he'd step away from vocals and let a more competent and My experience with Richard Thompson has been an incredibly frustrating one. While he writes wonderful songs and has impeccable skills on the guitar, his voice (ugggg!!) has to be one of the most unpleasant and annoying of any modern singer in my memory. (Imagine this...I actually love Dylan!) It's too bad really! If he'd step away from vocals and let a more competent and enjoyable singer take over, I'm sure his albums would be the wonderful pleasures they should be. Very sad! Collapse

1. Characteristically classy tunes that will thrill Thompson's fans, who have been waiting for just such a set of literate and challenging music from a musician who never delivers less.
  2. The 14 tracks find Thompson in typical tasteful form, playing with understated flash that straddles the trans-Atlantic divide to embrace Celtic soul and rootsy Americana, with bits of jazz and Jamaica ("Bad Monkey," "Francesca") thrown into the mix. [2 Jun 2007]
  3. With nothing particularly unusual to recommend, non-fans will miss out on yet another in a long string of superb collections.