Swing Lo Magellan - Dirty Projectors
8.6

Review this album

1. Jul 11, 2012
    More approachable than Bitte Orca, but just as carefully crafted. This album's pleasantness does not detract from its artistry, and its artistry does not impede its pleasantness. Hardcore Dirty Projectors fans may need a couple extra spins to appreciate the changes in Longstreth's songwriting, but this is a truly excellent album.
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    With this one, David has slowed down the prog elements and made them more digestible for the impatient and unintelligent. What you hear when you listen is an ultra advanced musician dumbing down music to the level he feels comfortable doing so, and it is great.
  3. Aug 19, 2012
    I was always a fan of The Dirty Projectors since I first heard Bitte Orca. Although I didn't find that album to be quite the masterpiece it was being hailed as from a lot of people, I still found it to be a solid record that did grow on me over time. Swing Lo Magellan is a different beast, however. It's the sound of a complete band coming together. It's as if The Dirty Projectors dabbled in music to finally make this album. Dave Longstreth has clearly matured as a musician. From his vocals to his songwriting, He does no wrong in this album. All In All, Swing Lo Magellan is one of the best albums this year. A- Collapse
  4. Jul 19, 2012
    It took a few listens but this album really grew on me, and now I love it. I wasn't a huge fan of Bitte Orca, but i will probably go back and give it another listen after learning to really appreciate what they did on this album.
  5. Jul 12, 2012
    A really great followup to what was already a fantastic album, Swing Lo Magellan is quirky, varied and probably the most listenable thing the group have ever made, even though they haven't lost any of the individuality and delicate craftsmanship that made past efforts so good. Blissfully weird and epic-sounding cuts "About to Die" and "See What She Seeing" that would sit perfectly in a playlist next to "Useful Chamber" or "Temecula Sunrise", are contrasted on the album with such minimal, beautifully written songs as the sugary "The Socialites" and the folksy title track. All in all, while it may not be an album that showcases Dave Longstreth's eccentric songwriting to its full extent, it does something even harder: it condenses all its elements into a collection that is both very accessible and likeable from the first listen. Expand

1. Sep 13, 2012
    Dirty Projectors has never done so much with so little, a rare feat reiterated by the disarming, insistent standout, "Gun Has No Trigger."
  2. Aug 8, 2012
    Sometimes brilliant, often infuriating, it's a must-check nonetheless.
  3. Jul 27, 2012
    They have it in them to write great pop music or truly important experimental music, but Dirty Projectors have to decide where they want to end up before they start.