- Summary: The British boy band releases its second full-length release featuring production and songs written by such artists as Ed Sheeran, Carl Falk, Rami Yacoub, Savan Kotecha, Max Martin, and Dr. Luke.
- Record Label: Sony Music Entertainment
- Genre(s): Pop, Pop/Rock, Dance-Pop, Teen Pop, Contemporary Pop/Rock
- More Details and Credits »
Mar 8, 2013This album is amazing! Usually when it comes to music I don't love an entire album. But I have to say I absolutely adore every single song onThis album is amazing! Usually when it comes to music I don't love an entire album. But I have to say I absolutely adore every single song on this album. So much so that I had to actually illegally download the bonus tracks that weren't available in my country!! I can honestly listen to every track on repeat for hours. Each song brings something different to the table, and the album is complete with catchy dance tunes, slower ballads, some softer singer-songwriter vibe songs, and even some edgier rocky ones. One plus of this album over Up All Night is that there is definitely a more even split of solos on the tracks. You get to hear a lot more of each member, and each member's voice also perfectly suits the section they sing. They're voices are also much stronger on this album. Another plus is that the boys actually have a lot of writing credits themselves on this album. They were a lot more involved with the process and their input shows a noticeable difference. Ed Sheeran also wrote two songs for this album, rather than just one like on Up All Night. Some stand-out tracks for me are: They Don't Know About Us, Little Things, Kiss You, I Would, Over Again, and Irresistible. I genuinely love this entire album and would recommend it to anyone. Even people I know that don't like One Direction have grudgingly admitted to me that they actually like certain songs on the album, and I've caught them singing along in their rooms. Give it a chance!… Expand
Nov 22, 2012I think this album is better than Up All Night, no many changes in music, like the boys said, the lyric has changed a little bit but so funnyI think this album is better than Up All Night, no many changes in music, like the boys said, the lyric has changed a little bit but so funny and enjoyable I really found this album worth buying. In general is a great album and dont hesitate to recommend it.… Expand
Nov 13, 2012This album has really good songs, for example "Live While We're Young" and "They Don't Know About Us", but other songs like "Change My Mind"This album has really good songs, for example "Live While We're Young" and "They Don't Know About Us", but other songs like "Change My Mind" or "Last First Kiss" are really bad. Great album, better than Up All Night.… Expand
Jan 12, 2013First of all, I'm not a One Direction fan, so I don't think my review should be suspicious. I think the reason most Metacritic users ratedFirst of all, I'm not a One Direction fan, so I don't think my review should be suspicious. I think the reason most Metacritic users rated this album poorly is because they are biased and it became cool to hate One Direction. My opinion about the album: it's more mature than their previous album (Up All Night), and you'll probably like it (tip: act like it's not One Direction at the first listen) even if you don't really like boybands. Some tracks are ready for the parties while others are calm ballads, so I think it's pretty hard to rate this album overall. It's good because it doesn't matter if you prefer "party songs" or ballads, you'll probably like some tracks in the album. Track-by-track review (hope you don't fall asleep):
1. Live While We're Young - 10/10 - Best track in the whole album. Their first "party song", it will probably please anyone. Lyrics a bit shocking because of their public, but they can't get stuck in squeaky clean lyrics and love songs.
2. Kiss You - 8/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are really immature and don't fit the beat. Lyrics like "let me kiss you" are not really a good attempt at becoming mature.
3. Little Things - 2/10 - The beat is terrible and the lyrics are annoying and awfully describe details in a woman's body that no one would ever notice anyway ("You've never loved your stomach or your thighs, the dimples in the back at the bottom of your spine").
4. C'mon, C'mon - 10/10 - Again, a "party song". The lyrics are mature without getting shocking and the beat is fun and ready for the parties.
5. Last First Kiss - 9/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are confusing. "Last first kiss", after all, is it last or first? More upbeat than most of their songs, but not really a "party song".
6. Heart Attack - 6/10 - The beat is good, but again the lyrics are stupid. Last time I checked, you couldn't get a heart attack because of love. Also, the "ow!" in the chorus is pretty annoying.
7. Rock Me -7/10 - Good beat, the lyrics actually make some sense, but I didn't really like it. Sounds kind of boring.
8. Change My Mind - 1/10 - They sound like they're almost dying and the lyrics are stupid. If you want to stay, stay, if you wanna go, just go. No need to create a song about it.
9. I Would - 10/10 - Even though the lyrics about stealing someone's boyfriend might be quite shocking to parents, what's a love song without jealousy? More upbeat than most of their songs, while not being exactly a "party song".
10. Over Again - 7/10 - The lyrics are pretty smart, but the beat is boring even if you like slow songs.
11. Back For You - 8/10 - The beat is good, but the lyrics are not so smart ("Baby, you don't have to worry, I'll be coming back for you"). Upbeat without being a party song.
12. They Don't Know About Us - 9/10 - Great track, one of those us-against-the-world songs. Pretty much anyone would relate to it.
13. Summer Love - 5/10 - Great beat, but the lyrics are somehow stupid. "You always will be my summer love" doesn't make any sense at all. What does summer have to do with this?… Expand
Nov 13, 2012I'm really disappointed with the album actually. I'm not a fan of One Direction, and I believe that are really talented and great singers. ButI'm really disappointed with the album actually. I'm not a fan of One Direction, and I believe that are really talented and great singers. But the production of this album comes out not amazingly great. It has good tunes including "Live While We're Young", "Kiss Me" and "C'mon C'mon", but it just sounds repetitive to their previous record. As they stated earlier this year they were going to be more "edgier, grungier" and have "more guitars", and I thought it would be a great change. But it didn't manage to do that.
I do like some songs, but it has the same element and aspect as their previous. Sorry guys, try another album with a more different image. Not completely different, just not the same image you have now.… Expand
Apr 21, 2013One Directions tries to make something original and better from their other album, but uses the same love and pop sound to be successful. ButOne Directions tries to make something original and better from their other album, but uses the same love and pop sound to be successful. But fails miserably.… Expand
Apr 26, 2015GAY GAy gayGAY GAy gay gaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygaygayv… Expand
- By user score
|A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead|
|Skin - Flume|
|Blank Face LP - ScHoolboy Q|
|Freetown Sound - Blood Orange|
|Nothing's Real - Shura|
|The Glowing Man - Swans|
|Good Times! - The Monkees|
|The Dream Is Over - PUP|
|Silent Earthling - Three Trapped Tigers|
|Dolls Of Highland - Kyle Craft|
|Afraid of Heights - Billy Talent|
|The Colour In Anything - James Blake|
|Still Brazy - YG|
|Puberty 2 - Mitski|
|Sleep Cycle - Deakin|
|Light Upon the Lake - Whitney|
|To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere - Thrice|
|Conscious - Broods|
|Hella Personal Film Festival - Open Mike Eagle|
|Tempo - Olga Bell|