Teenage Dream

• Release Date: Aug 24, 2010
6.9

Review this album

1. Mar 24, 2012
    Katy Perry is one of the most annoying personas in the current pop world, and is not a very talented live singer. In addition, she looks quite fake and contradictive to me, given his actual behaviour and his christian singer past. HOWEVER there's something no one could ever deny: she knows how to deliver a catchy tune. She also writes her own songs, and not everybody in the pop world doesKaty Perry is one of the most annoying personas in the current pop world, and is not a very talented live singer. In addition, she looks quite fake and contradictive to me, given his actual behaviour and his christian singer past. HOWEVER there's something no one could ever deny: she knows how to deliver a catchy tune. She also writes her own songs, and not everybody in the pop world does that, so I'll give it to her. "Teenage Dream" is immature, superficial and forgettable, but it is full of potential hits, and it doesn't really surprise me that she has striked 5 consecutive #1 hits, tying her with Michael Jackson (as surprising as it might sound). Catchy bubblegummy teenagey dancey tunes, a very hot American and apparently sweet woman and high budget videos are the perfect combination for success in nowadays industry. In addition, Dr. Luke really shines as the biggest hit maker in the mainstream world at the moment, and "Teenage Dream" is the best proof of it. Quality wise, this record is, just for a bit, not as good as "One of the Boys" but it is much more mainstream and pop-friendly (and "OOTB" already was). Katy is very confusing to me, because she can deliver some more serious and interesting tracks ("Circle the Drain") but it seems that, even though she's already 26, she prefers to stay with childish themes. I'm interested to see how long can she maintain this route.

Highlights: E.T., **** Teenage Dream
  2. Dec 17, 2014
    Katy Perry no es una genio de la música, puede que la causa sea su excesivo uso de cliches a la hora de escribir e interpretar, pero en sí, el esfuerzo de Perry puede verse resaltado gracias a varias pistas que se convierten en cruciales para dejar un buen sabor en la boca, como lo es "Fireworks", "Part of Me" y "Teenage Dream".
  3. Sep 14, 2014
    O álbum é mediano. Claro, ele tem ótimas canções,como The One That Got Away,California Gurls e Firework, mas em si não é tão bom. Se a música não for single,a maioria eu pulo. Claro que algumas não-singles tem seu brilho,como Circle The Drain. O álbum é mais aceitável quando é o "The Complete Confection"
  4. Oct 16, 2014
    Too mainstream but I think this album was made for consolidate Katy Perry's mark in the radio. Lyrics isn't good, the beats are better. Perry has a lot to grow up and I'll hope she does it.
  5. Dec 10, 2012
    Not the best album, by, well several light years. But its fun, its a bit quirky and Its obviously written with love. This is both Katy's love of music and having fun. Songs to look at are - Last Friday night, which excusing the ridiculous lyrics has some very interesting melodies that mix pop with funk and disco, Pearl has pretty nice, thoughtful lyrics and Circle the drain - the pop rockNot the best album, by, well several light years. But its fun, its a bit quirky and Its obviously written with love. This is both Katy's love of music and having fun. Songs to look at are - Last Friday night, which excusing the ridiculous lyrics has some very interesting melodies that mix pop with funk and disco, Pearl has pretty nice, thoughtful lyrics and Circle the drain - the pop rock style and more moody, stroppy atmosphere is a sharp contrast to the rest of the album. The truly best song is Who am I living for? This song steps away from the general careless happy nature of the rest of the album and talks of Katy's inner turmoil between her new found liberal mainstream famous lifestyle and her more traditional Christian upbringing, all to an unrelenting synth riff. More songs like this Katy!

In conclusion this album will be sure to put either a smile or a scowl on your face, and as another commenter on this page put, I'm not sure its possible to listen to the album in one go without going mad. The album is a load of joyful fun and on those grounds and those grounds alone it is OK, maybe even good but still not great.
  6. Aug 29, 2010
    Katy Perry lacks the polish that most pop acts have today, but what made her stand out than the rest was her ability to crank up insanely catchy tunes without much fuss. Believe me, when she's good, she's damn good (with the addictive 'Peacock', let me hear you sing 'Peacock-cock-cock' cause you can't resist it), when she tries too hard though... it ended up disastrously (seriously, yourKaty Perry lacks the polish that most pop acts have today, but what made her stand out than the rest was her ability to crank up insanely catchy tunes without much fuss. Believe me, when she's good, she's damn good (with the addictive 'Peacock', let me hear you sing 'Peacock-cock-cock' cause you can't resist it), when she tries too hard though... it ended up disastrously (seriously, your homage to our beloved extra terrestrial is that shallow). Still, one cannot deny that this album is filled with jam packed pop songs (at least half of it) that can instantly appeal to most, the lack of auto-tune surprises me (shame on you Ke$ha) and that alone is worth checking the album it, it's solid and too be honest, isn't it way better than 'One Of The Boys'. Expand
  7. Oct 9, 2010
    Katy Perry's second hit-maker of an album is certainly sweet, but in a sickening way, and the singing is its usual mediocre style. However, it's Katy Perry so it's only to be expected
  8. Oct 21, 2010
    Katy Perry has great potential to be one of those "big female musicians" as she already is. The most interesting thing about Teenage Dream is that it seems like it was not even made to be a good album, but to be a party album to dance to on Friday night. The best tracks are "Teenage Dream", "Last Friday Night", "California Gurls", "Firework", & "The One That Got Away". Sure, "Peacock" mayKaty Perry has great potential to be one of those "big female musicians" as she already is. The most interesting thing about Teenage Dream is that it seems like it was not even made to be a good album, but to be a party album to dance to on Friday night. The best tracks are "Teenage Dream", "Last Friday Night", "California Gurls", "Firework", & "The One That Got Away". Sure, "Peacock" may be laughable, but the rest aren't bad cuts for a pop-party album. Expand
  9. Jun 20, 2014
    Um album que ainda traz um pouco da Katy do "One Of The Boys" e tem músicas legais como Peacock,Not Like The Movies e Who Am I Living For? mas que trás alguns "lixos" como Teenage Dream e Circle The Drain.
  10. Sep 24, 2014
    I kinda enjoy the singles from the album, but the material as whole is just... Not quite as good as you would expect after listening to them.
    Despite being her worst album, it still has some good songs like ET and Pearl, so even it's no that good, it can still be enjoyable.
  11. Nov 12, 2012
    The result is treacherous, unsatisfactory, and immature. No adult would enjoy it.
  12. May 24, 2011
    Instead of making these two lacklustre albums - she should have taken her time and made a great pop album. Circle the Drain is one of my favourite songs ever though... and it helps.
  13. Oct 9, 2010
    some songs are very fun and cool (TGIF, teenage dream, **** circle the drain), while others are excuses for songs (california gurls, not like the movies) and this album isnt as good as one of the boys, yet katy still proves to be one of the best artists. however, her mainstream pop new ego is getting to her head.
  14. Dec 11, 2010
    this album was okay. Katy Perry could be better. her songs are too girlie. I think katy perry sings really good. This album was good but not as good. I like a few songs from this album
  15. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many of the songs the same and the songs in Teenage Dream lacks the feel which I think is the most important for an album to have. The only song that have the feel is "Firework" which I think is the best song I hear in the album. Expand
  16. Oct 28, 2011
    Perry's sophomore effort Teenage Dream lacks one key element missing from her previous album, One of the Boys - originality. Its production is heavy but it's creativity is thin; in stead of pursuing her musicianship even further, it feels like Perry is simply mimicking the electropop genre every other artist is doing nowadays. And for a 26-year-old woman, lyrics like "I wanna see yourPerry's sophomore effort Teenage Dream lacks one key element missing from her previous album, One of the Boys - originality. Its production is heavy but it's creativity is thin; in stead of pursuing her musicianship even further, it feels like Perry is simply mimicking the electropop genre every other artist is doing nowadays. And for a 26-year-old woman, lyrics like "I wanna see your peacock-cock-cock-cock" are countably immature. However, redeeming aspects of the album are its standout tracks. "Teenage Dream" is a pop ballad that flatters Perry's soft yet loud vocal chords whilst "California Gurls" is a funky pop reggae song with contributions from Snoop Dogg. "Firework", "E.T.", and "Hummingbird Heartbeat" are excellent tracks as well. Expand
  17. j30
    Aug 13, 2011
    Not really my kind of music. This sounds like pretty much everything else on popular radio stations, maybe because her music is all that they play on radio stations. It's definitely not the worst music out there. The album is super produced and loaded with catchy songs. Props to the producers and Perry for having 5 number one singles.
  18. Aug 12, 2011
    Katy Perry's second recording is (for the most part, at least) dumb, sex-crazy, and boring. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but if you're a true-blue Katy Perry fan (to which I say, "already?!"), then go ahead. But make sure you mark my words--this is a pretty bad album compared to ONE OF THE BOYS, and it is NOT a TEENAGE DREAM.
  19. Sep 30, 2012
    Teenage Dream, like One of the Boys, is a decent pop album with catchy pop songs and such. Though this album doesn't have as much songs as OotB that I liked, and this, like the first, still lacked creativity. But the album is still good and is enjoyable to listen to.
  20. Nov 4, 2013
    I gave a 6/10. Teenage dream consists of 6 good singles( the one that got away, california gurls, teenage dream) and the rest are fillers for me. Katy although makes good single choices
    and that's a
  21. Sep 4, 2010
    In my opinion in all this album, there are only 3 good songs (if you want just song to play at a party) : teenage dream, catchy made with all the elements to sell; et, interesting but far from being a "i kissed a girl" and california gurls, that's all. Should have be realesead as a EP like Usher did. Seems strange to me see a woman, (not a girl), singing those songs. Think people doesntIn my opinion in all this album, there are only 3 good songs (if you want just song to play at a party) : teenage dream, catchy made with all the elements to sell; et, interesting but far from being a "i kissed a girl" and california gurls, that's all. Should have be realesead as a EP like Usher did. Seems strange to me see a woman, (not a girl), singing those songs. Think people doesnt know what is really a great album. Expand
  22. May 23, 2011
    She forgot one thing about Teenage Dreams: they can also be nightmares! While the album is gifted with a fabulous first half, a "Peacock" comes along and drags down the "California candy cloud" to pop hell.
  23. May 29, 2012
    Seriously, a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year? The good songs are "California Gurls", "Firework", "The One That Got Away", "Not Like the Movies", and "Wide Awake". 5 good songs equals a rating of 5 out of 10.
  24. Nov 26, 2010
    The "California Gurl" from Santa Barbara delivered a satisfying pop album. The title-track "Teenage Dream" does not represent the whole album. The album is catchy, good pop songs and many potential hits. I would say that Katy Perry wants to deliver a party album but it turned out to be 80s. Firework is a good pop ballad. There are songs that lyrically talks about being married which isThe "California Gurl" from Santa Barbara delivered a satisfying pop album. The title-track "Teenage Dream" does not represent the whole album. The album is catchy, good pop songs and many potential hits. I would say that Katy Perry wants to deliver a party album but it turned out to be 80s. Firework is a good pop ballad. There are songs that lyrically talks about being married which is ironically to the concept of the album. The rocker element is still present in some songs of the album including the title track. "Last Friday Night" and "Peacock" are potential hits and as catchy like Ke$ha's song. Her voice is turned into a robot. Overall, the album is catchy and good. Expand
  25. Jun 13, 2016
    Esse álbum foi o mais perto que Katy Perry chegou de um Grammy. Claro, não é um álbum excelente, mas é o melhor de sua carreira. Talvez ela merecesse o grammy de ''Melhor Álbum Pop'' se não estivesse competindo com o incomparável The Fame Monster. Teenage Dream, como um todo, é um dos álbuns mais 100% pop da nova geração, juntamente com 1989 da Swift e o ARTPOP da Gaga. O álbum discuteEsse álbum foi o mais perto que Katy Perry chegou de um Grammy. Claro, não é um álbum excelente, mas é o melhor de sua carreira. Talvez ela merecesse o grammy de ''Melhor Álbum Pop'' se não estivesse competindo com o incomparável The Fame Monster. Teenage Dream, como um todo, é um dos álbuns mais 100% pop da nova geração, juntamente com 1989 da Swift e o ARTPOP da Gaga. O álbum discute várias temáticas, como: auto-aceitação, músicas inspiradas em histórias de festas adolescentes, romances incondicionais... claro que tudo isso num álbum acaba por se tornar uma boa obra, mas algo deu errado: a própria Katy.

Obviamente Katy não trabalhou seus vocais, algumas músicas ficaram mal colocadas na tracklist oficial(como é o exemplo de The One That Got Away), e o que fez os críticos retorcerem o nariz para a obra: letras genéricas.

Mas então o que diabos existe de diferente entre o Teenage Dream e o 1989, por exemplo? Bom, Swift claramente trabalhou seus vocais nas músicas do álbum, a produção estava impecável, e as letras em si, não eram genéricas, se falarmos de um todo. A sonoridade dos álbuns são muito parecidas, sim, mas apenas isso.

Uma coisa que ficou muito bem colocada no álbum foi a identidade da Katy. Nesse álbum, ficou claro que a cantora americana ainda está muito rendida aos ''smash-hits'' e nada focada em produzir músicas de qualidade. Porém, como um álbum pop, desempenhou um ótimo papel.
  26. Oct 22, 2016
    10 – Pearl 2/5
    11 – Hummingbird Heartbeat 3/5
    12 – Not Like The Movies 3/5
  27. Nov 21, 2016
    A significant improvement over One Of the Boys. Including two great tracks, Teenage Dream and TOTGA, and some good ones (E.T. Wide Wake), it's a very fun record
  28. Feb 15, 2017
    This album is nothing more than plastic pop full of glitter, colored ribbons, candy stuck and an irritating infantile attitude for someone who should mature.

For something Prism can be considered his "Best Work" although it is more of the same, only without pink glitter. It's not bad, but their songs are too Pop chicle and cheap just because that's what people like this album. Just

It's not bad, but their songs are too Pop chicle and cheap just because that's what people like this album. Just because it's easy to chew like a chewing gum and let's be honest. Who does not like chewing gum?

1. After some severe front-loading, the album is filled out by songs that are too dark or lifeless to work alongside the Candyland motif of the cover and sunbeamy splash of California Gurls.
  2. Teenage Dream is the kind of pool-party-pop gem that Gwen Stefani used to crank out on the regular, full of SoCal ambience and disco beats.
  3. There's none of the ABBA or Cardigans influence she claimed, nor any of the fun she seems to have in real life. For now she just sounds like another of pop's Stepford Wives.