Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne
6.7

Review this album

1. Oct 17, 2014
    This album isn't the Blueprint, Get Rich or Die Trying, or The Eminem Show, but it is a step below which is good enough to have an ninety rating. The album is a little bit of both the mix-tape Lil Wayne, like A Milli and the friendlier Lil Wayne, like Got Money.
  2. Oct 4, 2014
    I had high expectations for Tha Carter III as it was universally praised. To be honest, I must have overestimated the album as most of the tracks were boring and the production wasn't the best. I noticed he mentions Kanye West a few times in separate tracks, and speaking of him this album kind of sounds like Lil Wayne's version of College Dropout in a way. Lil Wayne lays down some creative wordplay like usual and shows some direction but not enough to make it a great album. Expand
  3. Aug 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best Wayne's album ever: 16 awesome songs (Playing with Fire original) and eccellent Weezy.. Only one bad song: La La is terrible, but Tie My Hands and Dontgetit are just amazing. If you don't like this album you probably don't like hip hop music.
  4. Mar 19, 2014
    The single greates album released all time in the history of rap music or any genre ever. Lollipop changed rap forever. Lil Wayne is the greatest of all time
  5. Mar 1, 2014
    This album's strong point is easily the beat selection, along with Wayne's outlandish metaphors ("We are not the same, I am a Martian" he explains in the ET-inspired track "Phone Home") which make for an enjoyable album. As an avid hip hop listener the songs that I didn't find as appealing were the radio hits such as "Got Money", "Mrs. Officer" and "Lollipop" which, despite being poppy and dumbed down, are by no means unenjoyable. Expand
  6. Dec 6, 2013
    Amazing album. Those users giving him Negatives and 0-5, really? This album shook up Hip Hop and is one of the most significant mainstream albums out there. This album is a great mainstream crossover, and features one of the greatest songs in the whole Hip Hop genre, "Dr. Carter". Those hating on this album need to remember, he's a legend and your reviews won't tarnish his legacy whatsoever. Great job, Wayne. Hoping Carter 5 could be another classic. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    Another Hip Hop album in which the singles almost ruin the album. Singles like "Got Money," "Lollipop," "Mrs. Officer," and "A Milli" disgrace, what would be, a solid Rap album. This album was Wayne's transition from Hip Hop to Pop which is evident in songs like "Lollipop" and "Prostitute 2." Other than that, Lil Wayne displays creativity, and some not-so-often seen raw emotion. Although the album is flawed, Lil Wayne shows his strengths through songs like "Mr. Carter," "Dr. Carter," "Tie My Hands," and "Let the Beat Build." Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    Music for uneducated youth. Filled with auto-tuned "vocals", over-produced annoying beats, and meaningless lyrical themes. How anyone can call Lil Wayne talented is beyond me. It's disgusting that music publications can take this rubbish seriously, because any serious hip-hop fan wouldn't.
  9. Sep 26, 2013
    The best Wayne album ever. That's not saying a lot, though. The main issue with this album is that there are way too many track and not enough substance too those tracks. After the track La La I found myself saying hey this sounds just like this track from earlier. The stand out awesome tracks are Mr. Carter, A Milli, Dr. Carter, Phone Home, Tie My Hands, and Lollipop. If you are a fan of Tha Carter 2, or any of his later work, you'll love this, but if you are a Tha Block Is Hot or Lights Out type of guy, you may be disappointed. Expand
  10. Aug 4, 2013
    All these people with negative reviews are simply hating on the album for the sake of hating on it. This album is a masterpiece, Lil Wayne's Magnum Opus, an album that will put Lil Wayne with the greats. The song has a great mix of emotion with songs like Shoot Me Down, and bangers like A Milli, and Pop masterpieces like Lollipop, there is something mesmerizing about the way Lil Wayne flows so easily over his tracks. "Swallow my words, taste my thoughts, And if it's too nasty, spit it back at me" raps Lil Wayne on the intro, "3 Peat." This I feel is the definition of Lil Wayne's music, sharp edged words that sting and strike deep, and extreme sexual perversion to the point where it almost gets disgusting on a song like Monster." To the people that hate this album, give it an objective listen instead of judging it because it is a Lil Wayne album, this is a masterpiece. Expand
  11. May 13, 2013
    This album was, is, and forever will be next level garbage. Its basically an album filled with him describing eating women out, and drugs. The 84 this got is pretty much the strongest case for critics reviews meaning nothing. Go listen to RAP Music by killer mike.
  12. May 1, 2013
    This album is terrible the white girl that just wrote the review is mad because yall rating this stupidly he isnt the best and this album certaintly isnt either
  13. Feb 26, 2013
    I think Lil 'Wayne proves that you can make good rap music and at the same time cover broader musical genres. This is an album that contains the best rap mixtapes of 2007 and a good production that is pleasant to listen in any radio station.

Lil 'Wayne made ​​a radical shift in what we were used to seeing in previous rap albums that were talking about the same issues and the same beats
    and productions. Looking backwards, it is clear that since this album was released rappers began to make good use of auto-tune until a few years ago.

The best album of 2008 and the best of Lil 'Wayne.
  14. Jan 2, 2012
    Guilty pleasure pop/rap album. It's very fun and the final respectable Lil' Wayne album. Mr. Carter is Maybe his best song ever (but he still thinks he's better than he is)
  15. Oct 23, 2011
    This Album Sucks. Tha Carter III Is Relying Too Much On Autotune And Beats. His Lyrics Needs A Huge Improvement. But Other Than That, The Other Albums Released In 2008 Is WAY Better Than This. I Did Not Enjoy Any Tracks On This Album Whatso Ever. Jay-Z Murdered Him On Mr. Carter.
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a pretty awesome album the reason is is because if this album wasnt aound lil wayne wouldnt be half as popular as he is now because rebirth and im not a human being failed everyone hated carter 4 this album had great songs some songs like lollipop were just stupid but a milli and got money were great

1 A milli
    2 got money
    3 let the beat build
    4 3 peat
    5 Dr carter
  17. j30
    Sep 28, 2011
    I really don't understand how this guy gets so much props for this garbage (oh yeah, it's all opinion). In my opinion with all the auto-tune and (stupid) ridiculous rhymes, this album adds up to one stinky turd that'll be forgotten a couple years from now (see 50 Cent).
  18. Aug 23, 2011
    this album sucks lil wayne is inded the worst rapper alive he does not know how to rap he is one seriously one lousy lazy musician he is a waste of life lil wayne claim's he is the best rapper alive when he truly is not the best rapper he is and always will be the worst rapper alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Aug 13, 2011
    This album gets an 8 mostly because of the relative strength of a few tracks towards the beginning of the album. It's difficult to tell if the other tracks - which are of the elite tier of production value as rap can get - are actually just slightly above average tracks or whether the heavy hitters at the beginning just make the rest of the tracks seem dull only in comparison.

Standing
    far above the other top-tier tracks on this album is "A Milli", a no-holds barred surreal flow of apocryphal lil wayne non sequitors, laced with as phrases as clever and nonchalantly vulgar as it is required for Weezy to explain to us in such brilliant creative ways why he is the best. All this is set against a surprisingly palatable (assumedly hefty) dude just saying "A Milli" over and over again.

A Milli seems to be the most revered track on the biggest studio album - 1,000,000 copies in a week, and the #1 best-selling album of 2008 - the pop-mega rap star has so far released. Known for achieving success simultaneously, if not primarily, because of underground, non-radioplay mixtape releases, the song stands on its own as a stalwart in rap's history books.

3 Peat is a formidable beginning to any album, a firm, bold roar of the arrival of Wayne, obviously not only as the beginning of this album, but as a dominating figure in the spotlight of rap.

With the crescendo of 3-Peat coming near the end, as soon as it brings you back from Wayne's planet to Earth, you turn right over into Mr. Carter, a relaxed track with a solid kick and a chantable chorus held up by a high-pitched Kanye-like sample. Lil Wayne's birth name being Dwayne Carter, the song speaks for his fans and friends, asking where he has been recently, while he reveals the new heights his life has reached, and through a barrel's worth of clever phrases, explains that he's been traveling all around the world being a superstar rapper. His point is capped off when another Mr. Carter, Shawn Carter, aka Jay-Z pops in to say, yes, I am a legend and, yes, we few superstar rappers are too hard to catch, a true jet setter. Keep 'em searchin.

In full disclosure, the author of this article has as a surname Carter, so feels a certain affinity for this track. Hopefully this wasn't evident.

If you haven't heard Lollipop and are an American and under 35, I'm guessing you have never been social in a public place. That American part might be irrelevant. Lollipop was a genuine radioplay megahit, indeed the best selling digital single of 2008, and is one of the reasons Wayne remains interesting to critics - and labels - alike: he can please intellectual Pitchfork critics while blowing up the pockets of the radio conglomerates. The other tracks on this album suffers from common-rap album syndrome. At times, listening from beginning to end, it feels too disjointed due to the sheer quantity of producers submitting different types of tracks to what's supposed to be a like-minded compilation. That said, the all-star producers who composed Tha Carter iii - from Swizz Beatz to David Banner to Kanye - definitely do their job individually.

Yet still, the themes of this album are scatterbrained, despite, obviously all being loosely based around the fact that Lil Wayne, is in fact, "Ill, not sick," an expert rapper and lyrically genius. Of course, this isn't actually far from the truth, but this album ends up being much more a bunch of interesting tracks featuring a five-star rapper and a few of his peers and forefathers, than a classic album.
  20. Jun 27, 2011
    To start off, he doesn't actually rap once during this piece of sh*t album. He talks slowly and auto-tunes his voice so he doesn't sound like a retarded monkey, even though he ends up sounding like one. He should kill his dumbass manager who lets him continue making this music and then kill himself, that way nobody has to hear any of his new music.
  21. Nov 17, 2010
    The best album of 2008. Lil Wayne shows his rap skills and out-does his singing skills. Even though with autotune, the effect has a unique way with him. Album of the year... No Doubt!

1. Filled with bold, entertaining wordplay and plenty of well-executed, left-field ideas, Tha Carter III should be considered as a wild, somewhat difficult child of Weezy's magnum opus in motion, one that allows the listener an exhilarating and unapologetic taste of artistic freedom.
  2. That said, it's not an instant classic, but it is the best rap album since Kanye West dropped "Graduation" last year.
  3. We should have known. If his raspy, cartoonish voice didn't mark him as different, his quick wit, offhanded wordplay and quirky subject matter should have in a genre populated largely by grim-faced imitators.