6.9

Review this album

1. Aug 2, 2011
    This album is a real testament to how deep of an artist drake is. You can see a real variety of sounds whether it be more upbeat rap songs like Over or Miss Me, to a more slowed down, RnB style with songs like Cece's Interlude, Fireworks, and Shut It Down. The album is great, very fun to listen all the way through, and cant wait for more from him
  2. Aug 11, 2010
    Drake again is showing his potential in the future he is well past his peers at Cash Money Records and is on his way to the top of the food chain, his songs are smart and bring class to the table when it comes to mainstream rap. His work so far has been good if he can keep it up he will show people what it really means to be an artist. He has been releasing stuff constantly and has that workaholic mentality that Lil Wayne has and it has served them both well, they are examples of what you can accomplished when you are determined, and work your hardest, to the best of your abilities. Light Up was an incredible song, and not his only one either, Thank Me Later has numerous hits that would stand out on any album. One of the best mainstream albums of the year so far. Collapse
  3. Aug 14, 2010
    Drake is right. We still have to thank him later.

Last year, Drake was the most talked-about star. He built up an incredible amount of hype with his mixtapes. HE signed on to the Young Money vessel. He had Lil Wayne's support. He had Jay-Z's support. So Far Gone sounded like an album. Fans were SO DAMN anxious for the release of his debut album. Like a rising basketball star on his way to
    slam dunk, Drake had fans anticipating that moment of truth.

That ball hit the board.

Of course his diehard fans will applaud this album so much they'll campaign for it to be a classic. Trouble is, music lovers like myself know that would be a waste of time. This album is not bad but not great either. It's average.

Drake isn't a half-bad rapper. He is better than many of the craploaders out there. But he isn't great. While some of his rhymes are good punches, his flow is a weakness. It rarely varies, and Drake sounds monotonous and uninteresting halfway through the album. His content too could be better. He isn't the best at braggadocio. But he could talk a little more. Pretty much the whole album is about his rise to fame, money, cars, and girls. Pretty mainstream.

Another weakness is the beats. There are rarely any beats that stand out, save for "Over". Otherwise, all the beats are bland and quiet, really slowing the pace of the album. Yet another common weakness is the superior guest spots. Many times MCs are faced with the fact that their guest feature rip them up on their own track. Drake is no different. His blunder? All his rap guests outshine him.

But the key to Drake's success is his ability to sing. He may not be trained but his voice is smooth, easily recognizable, and catchy. Find Your Love is the best track on the album because his singing really gives the song mood and pop sensibility.

So the album isn't a complete disaster in no way. It was kind of what was expected, which isn't good because Drake is capable of doing so much more.
  4. Aug 31, 2010
    I was expecting more from him his mixtape was just great and he did good for an debut album there are songs that caught my eye such as the swagger filled song "Fancy" and the boastful "Show Me A Good Time" but those that lack substance is "Karaoke" which seems so bland and kind of pointless Drake has shown us he has potential but let's face it this is no where near better than "So Far Gone" it is However a good album I gave him an 8 due to his intro and outro songs being attention grabbers in sum you will not be disappointed as long as you don't have the mixtape on your mind Expand
  5. Jun 12, 2011
    This album is almost perfect. I find that most of the songs are wonderful, though occasionally you might notice the same beats in the background. This album represents, and lives up to the hype that is Drake, the lyrics are what get me, they are deep, well thought out and at times witty. Drake let's us into his mind and soul for this album, and describes the very essence of who he is. The album is good, I wouldn't say great, because a couple of the middle tracks aren't incredible, and don't fit in, but most of the songs are fabulous tunes, that fans of almost any genre can enjoy. I'm not using this argument as an excuse, but Drake himself knew the album wouldn't be perfect because Motown Records pushed him to make the album date, and wouldn't allow an extension. Expand
  6. Nov 16, 2010
    In this album, Drake voices his opinion on fame, fortune, and women. From his strong to soft voice, to his excitement in the lyrical raps that he writes, this album shows a promised future for the X Degrassi star. I wish him all the best.
  7. Dec 11, 2010
    This album was good. I like this album but too much singing in it. This album was more rnb than hip hop. I think Drake did a great job with his first album. Really good songs. I think this is one of the best hip hop album of the year.
  8. Dec 16, 2010
    This is the most depressing CD I have ever heard. Considering he's Lil Wayne's protege I expected more flash and fun, but wow was I dissappointed. I don't feel sorry for this guy, stop whining so much and stop talking about being the greatest, you got a long long way to get there. Flash in the pan.
  9. Dec 17, 2010
    Good positive debut album in my opinion from Drake. When first listening to it, i enjoyed the album and admired the talent he had. Granted there are a few tracks that arent fantastic but Drake wil only learn for the next time. However i do feel that he may need to show off his rapping more than what he showed cos he clearly has it. If he does that he will definitely earn even more respect than he already has. Expand
  10. May 19, 2011
    This is a good album. Really. He opens up with the incredibly emotional & fantastically worded "Fireworks (f. Alicia Keys)", and continues his flow with tracks like "Up All Night (f. Nicki Minaj)", as well as "Fancy (f. Swizz Beatz & T.I.). However, this album sinks with some of his weaker tracks, such as "The Resistance" & "Thank Me Now", which ends the album on a shaky (and annoying) note. However, this album shines, and I hope he nails "Take Care" like he did with this. I also hope to see some more material like his "So Far Gone" mixtape. Key Tracks: "Fireworks (f. Alicia Keys)" "Fancy (f. T.I. & Swizz Beatz" Expand
  11. Jun 10, 2011
    Powerful and deep. Drake's self-conscious persona mixed with addicting beats conjures up a masterful album. His singing may not be the best, but his vocals help paint a more vivid picture for the average listener. Drake does not disappoint on this album, he is a very talented rapper who is aware of the rewards and consequences of fame.
  12. Jan 27, 2012
    Money;Drugs;Sex. That's all he cares about apparently... He should learn to make some original lyrics instead of the same repetitive crap that they always have today.
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    There's some deep stuff here on Drake's debut. There's also a lot of trash, probably because Lil Wayne mentored him.
  14. Aug 18, 2010
    Bit of a disappointing debut to be honest, but "Thank Me Later" sports a lot of impressive tracks from yours truly. I guess you can thank him later when he releases a more impressive album that hits hard like the Slim Shady LP did back in 1999.
  15. Aug 28, 2010
    This is the use of autotune we need. To make it sound good. Wayne uses autotune but we dont criticize him on that. This kid is good, but not as good as up and comers like Kid Cudi and J Cole
  16. Aug 13, 2010
    Drake shares some fresh cultural perspective, though mainly adhering to hip-hop archetypes. The single "Over", is definitely destined to be a classic anthem with sublime string and horn overlays. Musically, there is much room for improvement, mainly in style and cohesion. Replay value: 1/5.
  17. Oct 26, 2010
    Drake is probaly one of the most talented Canadian artists I have ever seen, (I wouldnt be surpized if a "Best New Artist" Grammy came his way soon) but some of the songs on this album are just plain boring. And I'm not saying all slow music is boring, but it should at least keep the listener engaged while listening to the music.
  18. Dec 5, 2010
    This has to be my favourite album of 2010 (beats Kanye). Drakes raps are good and 40s beats are insane. Good to see an album with a slower BPM can still dominate on todays charts. I love it!!!
  19. Jan 9, 2011
    I couldn't even listen to the whole album. I've heard better albums and rappers. But I'm going to give him a 3 because his singles (Over, Find Your Love) are epic.
  20. Jul 10, 2011
    After over a year of listening to Thank Me Later I have come to the realization that this is a classic album. Though many hip-hop fans discredit his talent because of the fact that he was an actor, or because he's half white or because of how often he sings, there is no denying the impact this album will have on hip-hop's future. I'm not saying impact alone makes a classic, but I believe Drake's unique style of music will continue to influence new artists such as The Weeknd and others. The main reason Thank Me Later is a classic is the lyrical talent displayed. Drake has mastered the art of connecting to listeners in a way that few artists ever have. Songs like The Resistance and Unforgettable tell the stories of young people all around the world. Over is a perfect example of what every new artists dreams their first single will be, epic, catchy and revolutionary all at the same time. Top to bottom this album satisfies. Expand
  21. Oct 21, 2011
    "Miss Me"
    "Shut It Down"
    "Light Up"
  22. Mar 3, 2012
    A Solid Debut With Phat Rhymes, Beats, And Flow And Delivery Are All It Really Takes For A MC Like Drake. But Those Rhymes Could Be Improved. And His Delivery Could Be Better As Well.
  23. Nov 18, 2011
    I Made an account just to say that this album is amazing. After seeing reviews by dumb **** like CodyT giving this masterpiece a 3/10 makes me question the competence of the average human (codyT suck a big dick). Anyone else giving this a negative review you are crazy seriously if I knew you people Id beat the **** out of each one of you thats how much love I got for drake his music completes me, keep making that beautiful music Drake (amazing)! Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2012
    Not the worse debut but not the best. Drake is at his best when rapping so you wouldn't expect this album by a rapper to have slow songs where he's actually singing. The writing on the album is best part about it because he is talking about his life and about how it'schanging now that he is famous. People will look back on this album and say it was better than all the other rap albums that released in 2010. Expand
  25. Dec 20, 2012
    At its best, this album is mediocre. Is Drake trying to be a pop artist, or a hip hop artist? "Thank Me Later"? I can't be thankful for something I'm reasonably ungrateful for.
  26. Dec 10, 2013
    Drake truly announced himself to the world. From the previews that were seen in So Far Gone, to this is a big step but I felt he was lacking something.

1. Given his limitations, his famous friends are a mixed benefit, because they show him up.
  2. Thank Me Later may not have been the game-changing release everyone was hoping for, but we now have every reason to believe that the hype will ring true on his next album.
  3. Because of his relatively privileged upbringing (he's from a wealthy part of Toronto), Thank Me Later is less about chronicling and rising up out of his environment (like basically every rap debut since Illmatic) and more about how Drake is uncomfortable being famous.