• Record Label: Red Ink
  • Release Date: Jan 11, 2011
7.9

Review this album

1. Jan 14, 2011
    Une albulm vraiment l'fun à écouté, le Cage The Elephant style à son meilleur. C'est exactement ce à quoi on veux s'attendre quand on écoute un nouveau disque. Le tout est divertissant et diversifié. C'est simplement excellent. Thank You Happy Birthday est la pour comblé tout coeur.
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    It's weird that this mess of music has ended up being my favorite album of 2011 so far. Maybe it's because everything else sucks, of maybe it's just because, all while being a mess, this album is the best mess I've ever heard. Great musical diversity throws you from heavy creepy psychedelic tracks all the way into soft melodic chord strumming all the way into indie rocking and definitelyIt's weird that this mess of music has ended up being my favorite album of 2011 so far. Maybe it's because everything else sucks, of maybe it's just because, all while being a mess, this album is the best mess I've ever heard. Great musical diversity throws you from heavy creepy psychedelic tracks all the way into soft melodic chord strumming all the way into indie rocking and definitely has something for every taste. While being lyrically less critical than their last effort, the lyrics are just as great and deep. Definite 10/10 for me. Definitely a band to look out for in the future. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2012
    To be honest, it didn't really hit me as being all that great at first. I enjoyed their debut album a lot. I just keep finding myself coming back to this album time and time again. Once every couple of weeks, I will just listen through all of it. The variety of music on this album is great. I find that I don't get used to one particular sound throughout the whole album. It keeps youTo be honest, it didn't really hit me as being all that great at first. I enjoyed their debut album a lot. I just keep finding myself coming back to this album time and time again. Once every couple of weeks, I will just listen through all of it. The variety of music on this album is great. I find that I don't get used to one particular sound throughout the whole album. It keeps you on your toes. Good stuff. Expand
  4. Jan 13, 2011
    Very good album. Song's are use for video game called "Borderlands", and they bring all the excitement in you. Strong lyrics make a great combination with the instruments.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    One of the best indie album si have ever heard, Key tracks would have to be ABERDEEN, SHAKE ME DOWN, IDIE KIDZ, AROUND MY HEAD, 2024 and SELL YOURSELF, A great album would definitely recommend.
  6. Mar 12, 2011
    The best way to describe this album is as 'sonic seizures.' The chaotic style that has become CTE's trademark fills this album. There is no lack of personality. At times it can be a little hard to listen to, but more times than not, it's filled with energetic punk-blues.
  7. Jun 8, 2011
    Let's have a minor celebration for a band showing defined improvement simply because it occurs so infrequently these days. Kentucky rockers Cage The Elephant have distilled their tangled mess of post punk, garage and grunge and added a pop sensibility which makes "Thank You Happy Birthday" a more than worthy follow up to their 2008 self titled debut. Singer Matthew Shultz confidently mixesLet's have a minor celebration for a band showing defined improvement simply because it occurs so infrequently these days. Kentucky rockers Cage The Elephant have distilled their tangled mess of post punk, garage and grunge and added a pop sensibility which makes "Thank You Happy Birthday" a more than worthy follow up to their 2008 self titled debut. Singer Matthew Shultz confidently mixes howls, growls and shrieks with deliberate melodies, entrusting guitarist brother Brad and the rest of the band to enthusiastically bash out discordant noises with refreshing gusto. In addition, thereâ Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2011
    A lot of the songs are a bit too hard to listen to, and the only song I actually love sounds a lot like a Green Day song, but it's still pretty good.
  9. Apr 9, 2011
    I really like their sound on some of their songs, others are annoying or just barely tolerable. I thoroughly enjoyed Aberdeen, Shake Me Down, 2024, Indy Kidz and Right Before Your Eyes. I gave them all 8s. I also liked Flow and Around My Head. I give them 7s. The barely tolerable were Always Something, Sell Yourself, Japanese Buffalo and Rubber Ball. They get 6s. Don't bother listening toI really like their sound on some of their songs, others are annoying or just barely tolerable. I thoroughly enjoyed Aberdeen, Shake Me Down, 2024, Indy Kidz and Right Before Your Eyes. I gave them all 8s. I also liked Flow and Around My Head. I give them 7s. The barely tolerable were Always Something, Sell Yourself, Japanese Buffalo and Rubber Ball. They get 6s. Don't bother listening to Sabertooth Tiger. It's SUPER annoying. Expand
  10. j30
    Jul 20, 2011
    Definitely a step forward from their first album. There's still work to be done on this band, but their future is bright as long as they don't sell-out like their song Sell Yourself warns. There's too many ideas going around and it makes the album feel uneven. One main influence I can draw from this album is obvious, the Pixies. Which is not a bad thing and should follow that idea ratherDefinitely a step forward from their first album. There's still work to be done on this band, but their future is bright as long as they don't sell-out like their song Sell Yourself warns. There's too many ideas going around and it makes the album feel uneven. One main influence I can draw from this album is obvious, the Pixies. Which is not a bad thing and should follow that idea rather than some of their other chaotic ones (Indy Kidz). I'm excited to see what they do next time around. Key Tracks: Always Something, Shake Me Down (way too overplayed), and Right Before My Eyes. Expand
  11. Feb 9, 2014
    Thank You, Happy Birthday has it's moments but at times it's simply too harsh. Some songs are so intense that they're hard to listen to but those moments are few and far between and overall it is a pretty solid album, but it certainly is not for everyone.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    [7.3] Cage The Elephant certainly hasn't found their style with this release, but Thank You, Happy Birthday is as close to what can be considered a cohesive effort as possible. It's fast, loud, and heavily distorted, but the more pop-oriented style is much stronger than their contrived, almost laughable attempt at blues rock. While this album doesn't really sound electronic, it definitely[7.3] Cage The Elephant certainly hasn't found their style with this release, but Thank You, Happy Birthday is as close to what can be considered a cohesive effort as possible. It's fast, loud, and heavily distorted, but the more pop-oriented style is much stronger than their contrived, almost laughable attempt at blues rock. While this album doesn't really sound electronic, it definitely takes its influences from some more eccentric indie rock. While distortion certainly isn't used sparingly, it's used in a way that complements odd rock betas and the rapid vocals. It is hard to pick out individual instruments, which makes each track sort of uniformly overwhelming, and not easy to enjoy. Ultimately though, it's an album with enough personality and enough style to warrant Cage The Elephant some deserved popularity. Cage the Elephant respectably does not give that much of a f*ck, and that lack of a f*ck-giving is improving. Expand
  13. Apr 6, 2015
    It's a good album, but it's not really all that memorable. Some songs ("Shake Me Down" "Indy Kidz" "Aberdeen" for example) are classics of the modern era, but others ("Flow" "Always Something" for example) end up coming up a bit short. The good songs (some of the band's best) make up for the lackluster, but I prefer their other two records over this one any day.

1. May 2, 2011
    Matt Shultz makes a natural showman firmly in the mouth Perry Farrell mould. Front of house taken care of, it's then just a matter of pairing the noise and excitement, something they achieve in short, sharp bursts with room to spare. [Apr 2011, p.98]
  2. Mar 29, 2011
    Taking cues from the Pixies and '90s grunge--Sell Yourself or Japanese Buffalo could be Pixies mainman Black Francis in a rage--but rowdier and caustic, they are compelling. [19 Mar 2011, p.51]
  3. Mar 29, 2011
    They've sorted through a kitbag of 80 songs and made good on the potential. [Apr 2011, p.77]