The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monáe
9.0

Review this album

1. Nov 1, 2010
    I really wanted to like this album and was intrigued to hear the genre-crossing styles. There are a few quirky moments here and there and the album is well produced, but the genuinely interesting bits are few and far between. The album sounds like they are trying to throw in as many styles as they can and to a certain extent it achieves this and is probably why it's getting such raveI really wanted to like this album and was intrigued to hear the genre-crossing styles. There are a few quirky moments here and there and the album is well produced, but the genuinely interesting bits are few and far between. The album sounds like they are trying to throw in as many styles as they can and to a certain extent it achieves this and is probably why it's getting such rave reviews. However, this feat alone does not make it a good album and I found the majority of the album rather contrived and soulless and this ultimately left me bored and expecting more. I'm sorry but it's not the masterpiece that is being touted. Expand
  2. Aug 16, 2010
    "What's all the fuss about?" I hear you say! Don't you know??? Somebody made a reasonably ok pop record!!!

The hype and the ratings only indicate the bad shape of the 2010 music industry in general.

1. The result is a dizzying fusion, marked by its lofty ambition and stunning central performance.
  2. For a first album, The ArchAndroid is astoundingly accomplished. It would be a lie to say there aren't a few lulls in the back end of the record as Monae begins to take fewer risks, but only the truly seminal albums can keep the quality level so high for over an hour.
  3. To say it's ambitious feels like damning with faint praise; its sheer musical scope--from the James Brown funk of Tightrope to the English pastoral folk of Oh, Maker--is spellbinding.