The Best Damn Thing - Avril Lavigne
6.7

Review this album

1. May 11, 2012
    Lavigne's first two albums seemed to be more about her trying to prove herself as a musician, while 'The Best Damn Thing' is much more playful. The lead single and first track on the album, "Girlfriend", pretty much sets the tone for the album; girly, aggressive, fun, confident. Not every song shares its brattiness though, with "One Of Those Girls" acting as a "Sk8er Boi" part 2 andLavigne's first two albums seemed to be more about her trying to prove herself as a musician, while 'The Best Damn Thing' is much more playful. The lead single and first track on the album, "Girlfriend", pretty much sets the tone for the album; girly, aggressive, fun, confident. Not every song shares its brattiness though, with "One Of Those Girls" acting as a "Sk8er Boi" part 2 and "Contagious" being a cutesy song about a crush. There are even a couple of mellow moments with the second single, "When You're Gone", being a gutsy ballad, allowing Lavigne to showcase both her improved vocals and improved lyrical ability. Lavigne's lyrics however, while an improvement on her previous efforts, still come short on some songs with the lyrics of "Innocence" failing to cleverly describe the intriguing state of bliss Lavigne bluntly calls "brilliant". Similarly, "Hot" and "I Don't Have To Try" keep up with the aggressive theme but choose obvious, predictable rhyming over creative songwriting. It's a brilliantly fun, energetic album, adding another dimension to Lavigne's trademark pop-rock sound she's been building throughout her career and in her seemingly relaxed approach to writing this album she proves herself to be the authentic rocker that she tried (and failed) to be with her first two albums. Expand
  2. Jun 17, 2011
    1st post AHHHHHHHHHHH =)

1st post AHHHHHHHHHHH =)

If you liked the albums Let Go or Under My Skin then there is a good chance you wont like this album. Avril Lavigne's 3rd album, The Best Damn Thing is in many ways a bold one. Avril really does throw away her Pop punk rift's and melody's produces something a bit more glamorise and I hate to use this word but 'mainstream'. To be honest this album really did disappoint me, saying that, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a good album. The thing is, it's just not why I listen to Avril. That's okay though because this album is sure to capture a whole new audience. ARGH I'M GETTING LOST!

To the point...
    I thought this album had some great beats such as Girlfriend, The Best Damn Thing, Everything Back But You and I Don't Have To Try, It also delivers some emotional drainage that you expect with an Lavinge album with the songs 'When You're Gone', 'Innocence',' Keep Holding On'. Although I enjoyed 'When You're Gone' I though 'Keep Holding On' was nothing but mediocre and 'Innocence' just made me **** angry =( To summarise, the album is probably not what anyone expected but it actually takes nothing away from the album. This is a relatively good, fun, POP album.
  3. Aug 5, 2011
    An average album created for average music fans that satisfies your ears with some beautiful and catchy songwriting for a small percentage of the time, but remove these efforts and you have nothing more than a bad teenage album from an artist who just needs to, at times, grow up. The potential is present, but potential feels somewhat lazy by album number three.
  4. Oct 26, 2010
    I can't really say this was a bad album cause her "old stuff" was better. But it is good in its respective field. Which would be teeny bopper bumblegum pop, with a little punk to it.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    I love this album. It truly lives up to its name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best songs are Innocence, When your Gone, Hot and Keep Holding on
  6. Nov 29, 2010
    Amazing! This is THE pop-punk album. I totally love it. This album rocks my body. Now i know why i came to this world. To be her fan. If you don't like it, **** you!
  7. Jan 6, 2011
    (10.0) Um álbum com músicas animadas e baladas emocionantes.
    A Avril ao contrário da maioria não apareceu mais madura no seu terceiro trabalho, porém aparecem mais animada, confiante e com uma nova cara.
    Não agradou a todos, porém não pode-se dizer que é apenas um
    (10.0) Um álbum com músicas animadas e baladas emocionantes.
    Não agradou a todos, porém não pode-se dizer que é apenas um álbum cor-de-rosa com músicas dançantes, também é um álbum de pop/rock e de influências punk com batidas muito fortes!
    Novamente a Avril arraso!!
  8. Feb 21, 2011
    What a dissapointment of an album. The only reason i havn't given this album a negative review is because afew songs save it for me. 'Girlfriend', 'Keep Holding On', 'Innocence', 'Hot', 'Runaway' and 'When Your Gone' - All pretty good songs - but the rest are simply awful. The only word i can think of is cheap, just tinny, and cheap. Sorry Avril - but not your best effort.
  9. Feb 21, 2011
    This is the one step that she's evolution but not suit for her old fanbase. This album is more pop and funny. she do its great but not great for old fans
  10. Mar 4, 2011
    POSITIVE - This album is very half and half for me. The good half - some stunning songs, some powerful songs and some catchy songs, Lavigne knows how to write songs, there is not doubt about that. Vocally this album is quite impressive aswel, she never never fails to present at least one beautiful song. NEGATIVE - After the good songs have been played and analysed you are left with somePOSITIVE - This album is very half and half for me. The good half - some stunning songs, some powerful songs and some catchy songs, Lavigne knows how to write songs, there is not doubt about that. Vocally this album is quite impressive aswel, she never never fails to present at least one beautiful song. NEGATIVE - After the good songs have been played and analysed you are left with some real hum dingers, filler tracks and songs that only 12 year old girls would like, at a push. Bad lyrics, bad sound - just BAD ! How one of Canada biggest selling artists can get away with such simple and awful songs is truely beyond me.
    OVERALL - A lacking album, no substance and not enough power. Yet, don't overlook this album, it's still worth a listen - in parts.
  11. Mar 6, 2011
    Another great hit from Avril, but it contains too many foul words, i would prefer the clean version, Girlfriend and When You're Gone is the 2 best track from this album!! Over all is a gd album!!
  12. Jul 23, 2011
    The Best Damn Thing is the best punk album ever hear.Girlfriend it's the hit single with When Ur Gone and Hot.Another cool song:Runaway,I Can Do Better,I Don't Heve To Try,One Of Those Girls.Every song are special.
  13. Nov 1, 2011
    I always wonder why fans hate this album so much, in my opinion he is simple a pink resumption of his first album and consequently so amazing as the first.
  14. Feb 15, 2013
    I don't think Avril changed AT ALL in this album. It's classic Avril but a little more punk rock. Recommended tracks: "I Don't Have To Try.", "One of Those Girls", "Everything Back but You", "Hot", "When You're Gone."
  15. Apr 26, 2012
    I think this may be her worst album. Crap. "Girlfriend" was the big hit from the cd, and honestly that song is just irritating and annoying. This is not the style she set out for in the first place. Disappointment.
  16. Dec 16, 2012
    This album is a lot more fluffy than the other two previous ones, still, it has a bunch of great songs, the ballads here are the most amazing ballads Avril's ever done, When You're Gone is so emotional and so beautiful, lyrically speaking, and her voice is just sweet. Innocence is a top song with strings and top vocals too, Avril's done a great job on that one, and the other songs are justThis album is a lot more fluffy than the other two previous ones, still, it has a bunch of great songs, the ballads here are the most amazing ballads Avril's ever done, When You're Gone is so emotional and so beautiful, lyrically speaking, and her voice is just sweet. Innocence is a top song with strings and top vocals too, Avril's done a great job on that one, and the other songs are just fine, the best are Hot, Girlfriend, Runaway, I Can Do Better and the title track, and apart from these and Everything Back But You, the other tracks are useless. Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2013
    With a great energy, unpretentious lyrics, catchy choruses and a beautiful blonde half a meter, 'The Best Damn Thing' is an inexhaustible well of fun.
  18. Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think anybody saw it coming when Avril changed her appearance from a tomboy to a badass woman who showed she could take anyone down that got in her way. Most of the tracks on this record were very good, "Girlfriend," "Runaway, "The Best Damn Thing," and "Everything Back but You" being stand out songs.
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    Definitely the best album of 2007
    Avril is very aggressive and tough in this album, with great instrumentals and great productions
    I miss this Avril closed for love, but it's always good to change the lyrical themes.
  20. Mar 11, 2014
    While this is probably Avril Lavigne's worst album, it's decent. The album sounds beautiful at times (Innocence and When You're Gone) but at other times its just carefree guilty pleasures (Girlfriend and I Can Do Better) The two piano ballads on the album sound complete, which for some odd reason she couldn't accomplish on her next album, and they're very beautiful. However, they get lostWhile this is probably Avril Lavigne's worst album, it's decent. The album sounds beautiful at times (Innocence and When You're Gone) but at other times its just carefree guilty pleasures (Girlfriend and I Can Do Better) The two piano ballads on the album sound complete, which for some odd reason she couldn't accomplish on her next album, and they're very beautiful. However, they get lost in the other more numerous tracks that for the most part are only mediocre. Girlfriend, while catchy, gets annoying and the writing is lazy (and she admitted to being drunk while writing it and taking only a couple hours to do so) and half the tracks sound no different and for the most part aren't any better. And other tracks like I Don't Have To Try sound like its trying to be 3 different songs at once. Despite the album's mediocrity, it at least helps add to Avril Lavigne's bratty image. However, the real highlights from this album were the songs that didn't make it onto the album. Alone and I Will Be would have been the best two tracks had they been included. Alone was likely scrapped because it sounded like someone threw Girlfriend, I Can Do Better and Runaway into one song and they decided it sounded too similar. However, that was a regretful decision because, as one critic author wrote for sputnikmusic, "it’s far more engaging than either of those lethargic rockers." And on the other side of the album's spectrum, the beautiful ballad I Will Be did not make it on for unknown reasons. However, Leona Lewis did record it for her 2008 album and it honestly does not compare to Avril Lavigne's version. In essence, the album is a mixed bag. If you like Avril Lavigne, you'll most likely enjoy this. If you don't, I would go for: Runaway (which should account for half the album), When You're Gone, Innocence, Contagious and Keep Holding On. And of course Alone and I Will Be if you feel like going to search them up. Expand
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    Avril Lavigne has never sounded so sincere, The Best Damn Thing comes as a fun, energetic and catchy album, the album opens with ''Girlfriend'' a fun pop-punk song, undergoes respectable ballads like ''When You're Gone'' and ''Innocence'', takes influences from punk Green Day and Blink-182 in ''Everything Back But You'' and ''Contagious'', Avril don't need to put a mask of maturity toAvril Lavigne has never sounded so sincere, The Best Damn Thing comes as a fun, energetic and catchy album, the album opens with ''Girlfriend'' a fun pop-punk song, undergoes respectable ballads like ''When You're Gone'' and ''Innocence'', takes influences from punk Green Day and Blink-182 in ''Everything Back But You'' and ''Contagious'', Avril don't need to put a mask of maturity to sound ''mature''. The Best Damn Thing may not be the best album in the world, but it sure is one of the most infectious and fun albums of recent years. Expand
  22. Aug 23, 2014
    Even though Avril proves she has made a rollercoaster of her own image with a glittery, cheerleader-y, girly album that contradicted her past concept, she's still earned the ultimate punkette crown.
  23. Jan 25, 2014
    A major disappointment. I really loved her first two albums, and I really like how she matured so much from Let Go to Under My Skin. I don't even know what happened her. Aside from a few good songs like "When You're Gone", "Innocence" and "Keep Holdin' On", this is like a major step back from an artist who just started to grow up.
  24. Apr 25, 2014
  25. Sep 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best Damn Thing é um bom álbum. Avril diz que este é o melhor álbum de sua carreira. Bom,eu não concordo que seja o melhor, mas é um dos melhores sim. Expand
  26. Sep 6, 2014
    The Best Damn Thing é um álbum de Avril que marcou a sua vida, e a de seus fãs. Com o primeiro single, Girlfriend, perdeu muitos fãs e ganhou muitos outros, porque a música é pop/rock e mostra uma Avril "patricinha", e era muito diferente do que ela costumava fazer. Com certeza não é o seu melhor álbum, mas mesmo assim é escutável.

1. The dumb, girly, giddy Best Damn Thing reembraces the 15-year-old pom-pom punkette within, with multitracked hand claps, Toni Basil-gone-bad cheers, and pep-rally-rattling guitars.
  2. The Best Damn Thing is a big step back for an artist who was just starting to grow up.
  3. It's a consciously lightweight pop-punk romp that appears to have been inspired by "Since U Been Gone," Kelly Clarkson's massive hit.