The Best Damn Thing

• Release Date: Apr 17, 2007
6.7

Review this album

1. Sep 8, 2016
    Completamente bem produzido. Baladas tocantes e musicas chicletes
    Melhores: I will be, Girlfriend, Innocence, When You're Gone, I do't have to try, TBDT e Hot.
  2. May 25, 2016
    For me this album is a miracle, maybe not so much after time, but who can say any different? Avril plays with her punky image and create my wet dream, as she said, for a fans that waiting for. This album mix greatly her style of rock with "neo-punk" sound and pace, and lyrics are maybe little bla bla bla stuff, but there are still some memorable moments, that I never heard from anyoneFor me this album is a miracle, maybe not so much after time, but who can say any different? Avril plays with her punky image and create my wet dream, as she said, for a fans that waiting for. This album mix greatly her style of rock with "neo-punk" sound and pace, and lyrics are maybe little bla bla bla stuff, but there are still some memorable moments, that I never heard from anyone else. And this together create a absolutely special kind, that was just in my dream that I cannot explain before. Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2016
    Really nice album with good beats and vocals. The best pop/rock album of the year! and think this record it's awesome and a powerful expression of a great singer
  4. Feb 27, 2016
    9/10 - "True, this is far from deep but Under the Skin proved that a deep Avril is a dull Avril. The Best Damn Thing, in contrast, builds on every one of her bratty strengths which makes for ridiculously catchy pop - the kind of music that provides a soundtrack for teens and guilty pleasures for everyone else" - AllMusic
  5. May 10, 2015
    On this album, Avril abandons her dark image and goes into **** mode". I do not like the content or image Lavigne gave off on this album, because I feel that it is not her. Also her first album to be issued a Parental Advisory notice, features more sexual content than her previous efforts. Her best tracks on this album are "Keep Holding On", "Hot", "Everything Back But You", "Innocence",On this album, Avril abandons her dark image and goes into **** mode". I do not like the content or image Lavigne gave off on this album, because I feel that it is not her. Also her first album to be issued a Parental Advisory notice, features more sexual content than her previous efforts. Her best tracks on this album are "Keep Holding On", "Hot", "Everything Back But You", "Innocence", and "When You're Gone". Like her future effort in 2013, Lavigne was "all over the place" on her image. Either trying to stay the sassy-pop-punk girl she is or a Amy Lee wannabe. Expand
  6. Mar 1, 2015
    So here we have the infamous "sell-out album". A real step back from previous albums in terms of artistry and maturity, it essentially alienated her fanbase and destroyed any kind of artistry she could have built with her first two albums. I can get she wanted to be a bit more "playful" and less serious than she was with Under My Skin, but she definitely went over the top with it.So here we have the infamous "sell-out album". A real step back from previous albums in terms of artistry and maturity, it essentially alienated her fanbase and destroyed any kind of artistry she could have built with her first two albums. I can get she wanted to be a bit more "playful" and less serious than she was with Under My Skin, but she definitely went over the top with it. Brattiness, borderline stupidity at times in songs like the superhit Girlfriend, the selftitled song or I Can Do Better (which she recorded unapologetically drunk), it definitely was a departure from her previous albums. Perhaps not so much in terms of sound, which was more pop-punk than alternative/rock, but in terms of meaningfulness and maturity.

There are songs that show what she went for without being too infantile and fan-alienating, like Everything Back But You, One of Those Girls or Contagious. There are a few ballads to balance things out a bit, Innocence and Keep Holding On being some of the best songs and fan favourites from this albums.

I give it a 4 because the album is sonically good enough and it has some good songs, but there's an overall feeling of brattiness and immaturity that I can't stand. No wonder people sometimes said she looked more mature in previous albums, I don't blame them. This album (and its era) destroyed her image and I was close to stop being a fan, although (a very superior) Goodbye Lullaby made me feel again what Under My Skin did. I hope The Best Damn Thing remains as Avril's worst album FOREVER.
  7. Jan 30, 2015
    Half of the album is some of the finest rock-pop you'll hear. 'Runaway', 'Hot' and 'Innocence' are prime examples of when the albums is at its finest. The other half of the album however, is silly, immature and very lazy filler.
  8. Jan 12, 2015
    Apenas de ser um álbum popular com Girlfriend, When You're Gone e Hot, as outras músicas são tudo rock genérico e que chegam a dar dor de cabeça na gente, mas tirando isso é bom.
  9. Sep 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Best Damn Thing é um bom álbum. Avril diz que este é o melhor álbum de sua carreira. Bom,eu não concordo que seja o melhor, mas é um dos melhores sim. Expand
  10. Sep 6, 2014
    The Best Damn Thing é um álbum de Avril que marcou a sua vida, e a de seus fãs. Com o primeiro single, Girlfriend, perdeu muitos fãs e ganhou muitos outros, porque a música é pop/rock e mostra uma Avril "patricinha", e era muito diferente do que ela costumava fazer. Com certeza não é o seu melhor álbum, mas mesmo assim é escutável.
  11. Aug 23, 2014
    Even though Avril proves she has made a rollercoaster of her own image with a glittery, cheerleader-y, girly album that contradicted her past concept, she's still earned the ultimate punkette crown.
  12. Apr 25, 2014
    I think this may be her worst album. Crap. "Girlfriend" was the big hit from the cd, and honestly that song is just irritating and annoying. This is not the style she set out for in the first place. Disappointment.
  13. Mar 11, 2014
    While this is probably Avril Lavigne's worst album, it's decent. The album sounds beautiful at times (Innocence and When You're Gone) but at other times its just carefree guilty pleasures (Girlfriend and I Can Do Better) The two piano ballads on the album sound complete, which for some odd reason she couldn't accomplish on her next album, and they're very beautiful. However, they get lostWhile this is probably Avril Lavigne's worst album, it's decent. The album sounds beautiful at times (Innocence and When You're Gone) but at other times its just carefree guilty pleasures (Girlfriend and I Can Do Better) The two piano ballads on the album sound complete, which for some odd reason she couldn't accomplish on her next album, and they're very beautiful. However, they get lost in the other more numerous tracks that for the most part are only mediocre. Girlfriend, while catchy, gets annoying and the writing is lazy (and she admitted to being drunk while writing it and taking only a couple hours to do so) and half the tracks sound no different and for the most part aren't any better. And other tracks like I Don't Have To Try sound like its trying to be 3 different songs at once. Despite the album's mediocrity, it at least helps add to Avril Lavigne's bratty image. However, the real highlights from this album were the songs that didn't make it onto the album. Alone and I Will Be would have been the best two tracks had they been included. Alone was likely scrapped because it sounded like someone threw Girlfriend, I Can Do Better and Runaway into one song and they decided it sounded too similar. However, that was a regretful decision because, as one critic author wrote for sputnikmusic, "it’s far more engaging than either of those lethargic rockers." And on the other side of the album's spectrum, the beautiful ballad I Will Be did not make it on for unknown reasons. However, Leona Lewis did record it for her 2008 album and it honestly does not compare to Avril Lavigne's version. In essence, the album is a mixed bag. If you like Avril Lavigne, you'll most likely enjoy this. If you don't, I would go for: Runaway (which should account for half the album), When You're Gone, Innocence, Contagious and Keep Holding On. And of course Alone and I Will Be if you feel like going to search them up. Expand
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    A major disappointment. I really loved her first two albums, and I really like how she matured so much from Let Go to Under My Skin. I don't even know what happened her. Aside from a few good songs like "When You're Gone", "Innocence" and "Keep Holdin' On", this is like a major step back from an artist who just started to grow up.
  15. Dec 3, 2013
    Avril Lavigne has never sounded so sincere, The Best Damn Thing comes as a fun, energetic and catchy album, the album opens with ''Girlfriend'' a fun pop-punk song, undergoes respectable ballads like ''When You're Gone'' and ''Innocence'', takes influences from punk Green Day and Blink-182 in ''Everything Back But You'' and ''Contagious'', Avril don't need to put a mask of maturity toAvril Lavigne has never sounded so sincere, The Best Damn Thing comes as a fun, energetic and catchy album, the album opens with ''Girlfriend'' a fun pop-punk song, undergoes respectable ballads like ''When You're Gone'' and ''Innocence'', takes influences from punk Green Day and Blink-182 in ''Everything Back But You'' and ''Contagious'', Avril don't need to put a mask of maturity to sound ''mature''. The Best Damn Thing may not be the best album in the world, but it sure is one of the most infectious and fun albums of recent years. Expand
  16. Oct 29, 2013
    Definitely the best album of 2007
    Avril is very aggressive and tough in this album, with great instrumentals and great productions
    I miss this Avril closed for love, but it's always good to change the lyrical themes.
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think anybody saw it coming when Avril changed her appearance from a tomboy to a badass woman who showed she could take anyone down that got in her way. Most of the tracks on this record were very good, "Girlfriend," "Runaway, "The Best Damn Thing," and "Everything Back but You" being stand out songs.
  18. Feb 16, 2013
    With a great energy, unpretentious lyrics, catchy choruses and a beautiful blonde half a meter, 'The Best Damn Thing' is an inexhaustible well of fun.
  19. Feb 15, 2013
    I don't think Avril changed AT ALL in this album. It's classic Avril but a little more punk rock. Recommended tracks: "I Don't Have To Try.", "One of Those Girls", "Everything Back but You", "Hot", "When You're Gone."
  20. Dec 16, 2012
    This album is a lot more fluffy than the other two previous ones, still, it has a bunch of great songs, the ballads here are the most amazing ballads Avril's ever done, When You're Gone is so emotional and so beautiful, lyrically speaking, and her voice is just sweet. Innocence is a top song with strings and top vocals too, Avril's done a great job on that one, and the other songs are justThis album is a lot more fluffy than the other two previous ones, still, it has a bunch of great songs, the ballads here are the most amazing ballads Avril's ever done, When You're Gone is so emotional and so beautiful, lyrically speaking, and her voice is just sweet. Innocence is a top song with strings and top vocals too, Avril's done a great job on that one, and the other songs are just fine, the best are Hot, Girlfriend, Runaway, I Can Do Better and the title track, and apart from these and Everything Back But You, the other tracks are useless. Expand
  21. Apr 26, 2012
  22. Nov 1, 2011
    I always wonder why fans hate this album so much, in my opinion he is simple a pink resumption of his first album and consequently so amazing as the first.
  23. Aug 5, 2011
    An average album created for average music fans that satisfies your ears with some beautiful and catchy songwriting for a small percentage of the time, but remove these efforts and you have nothing more than a bad teenage album from an artist who just needs to, at times, grow up. The potential is present, but potential feels somewhat lazy by album number three.
  24. Jul 23, 2011
    The Best Damn Thing is the best punk album ever hear.Girlfriend it's the hit single with When Ur Gone and Hot.Another cool song:Runaway,I Can Do Better,I Don't Heve To Try,One Of Those Girls.Every song are special.
  25. Jun 17, 2011
    1st post AHHHHHHHHHHH =)

1st post AHHHHHHHHHHH =)

If you liked the albums Let Go or Under My Skin then there is a good chance you wont like this album. Avril Lavigne's 3rd album, The Best Damn Thing is in many ways a bold one. Avril really does throw away her Pop punk rift's and melody's produces something a bit more glamorise and I hate to use this word but 'mainstream'. To be honest this album really did disappoint me, saying that, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a good album. The thing is, it's just not why I listen to Avril. That's okay though because this album is sure to capture a whole new audience. ARGH I'M GETTING LOST!

To the point...
    I thought this album had some great beats such as Girlfriend, The Best Damn Thing, Everything Back But You and I Don't Have To Try, It also delivers some emotional drainage that you expect with an Lavinge album with the songs 'When You're Gone', 'Innocence',' Keep Holding On'. Although I enjoyed 'When You're Gone' I though 'Keep Holding On' was nothing but mediocre and 'Innocence' just made me **** angry =( To summarise, the album is probably not what anyone expected but it actually takes nothing away from the album. This is a relatively good, fun, POP album.
  26. Mar 6, 2011
    Another great hit from Avril, but it contains too many foul words, i would prefer the clean version, Girlfriend and When You're Gone is the 2 best track from this album!! Over all is a gd album!!
  27. Mar 4, 2011
    POSITIVE - This album is very half and half for me. The good half - some stunning songs, some powerful songs and some catchy songs, Lavigne knows how to write songs, there is not doubt about that. Vocally this album is quite impressive aswel, she never never fails to present at least one beautiful song. NEGATIVE - After the good songs have been played and analysed you are left with somePOSITIVE - This album is very half and half for me. The good half - some stunning songs, some powerful songs and some catchy songs, Lavigne knows how to write songs, there is not doubt about that. Vocally this album is quite impressive aswel, she never never fails to present at least one beautiful song. NEGATIVE - After the good songs have been played and analysed you are left with some real hum dingers, filler tracks and songs that only 12 year old girls would like, at a push. Bad lyrics, bad sound - just BAD ! How one of Canada biggest selling artists can get away with such simple and awful songs is truely beyond me.
    OVERALL - A lacking album, no substance and not enough power. Yet, don't overlook this album, it's still worth a listen - in parts.
  28. Feb 21, 2011
    What a dissapointment of an album. The only reason i havn't given this album a negative review is because afew songs save it for me. 'Girlfriend', 'Keep Holding On', 'Innocence', 'Hot', 'Runaway' and 'When Your Gone' - All pretty good songs - but the rest are simply awful. The only word i can think of is cheap, just tinny, and cheap. Sorry Avril - but not your best effort.
  29. Feb 21, 2011
    This is the one step that she's evolution but not suit for her old fanbase. This album is more pop and funny. she do its great but not great for old fans
  30. Jan 6, 2011
    (10.0) Um álbum com músicas animadas e baladas emocionantes.
    A Avril ao contrário da maioria não apareceu mais madura no seu terceiro trabalho, porém aparecem mais animada, confiante e com uma nova cara.
    Não agradou a todos, porém não pode-se dizer que é apenas um
    (10.0) Um álbum com músicas animadas e baladas emocionantes.
    Não agradou a todos, porém não pode-se dizer que é apenas um álbum cor-de-rosa com músicas dançantes, também é um álbum de pop/rock e de influências punk com batidas muito fortes!
    Novamente a Avril arraso!!
  31. Nov 29, 2010
    Amazing! This is THE pop-punk album. I totally love it. This album rocks my body. Now i know why i came to this world. To be her fan. If you don't like it, **** you!
  32. Oct 27, 2010
    I love this album. It truly lives up to its name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best songs are Innocence, When your Gone, Hot and Keep Holding on
  33. Oct 26, 2010
    I can't really say this was a bad album cause her "old stuff" was better. But it is good in its respective field. Which would be teeny bopper bumblegum pop, with a little punk to it.
  34. Curdsy
    Feb 15, 2008
    This album is so HOT! I'm loving every single song!!!!!
  35. AshleyM.
    Jan 16, 2008
    I love this album!!! It shows that she can really sing. She is a happy person being herself and grown up. She wanted to release a fun album so people could dance to and enjoy it. My top 5 favorite songs are: Girlfriend, I can do better, when you're gone, hot, & I don't have to try.
  36. Kyle
    Jan 1, 2008
    Heard the album cover to cover 3x in a row while waiting to get my hair cut... it was so annoying it got to the point I couldn't tell when one song was starting another was ending. Wretched album--
  37. NormanG.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Its not her best album but it has some prety cool songs such as runaway and innocence but still theres other songs such as contagious and the best damn thing which sound like cheerleaders songs.
  38. AndrewW.
    Oct 11, 2007
    This is a phenomenal album! Every single song has hooks and the lead single, Girlfriend, is mindblowing!
  39. RobbP.
    Oct 10, 2007
    fantastic maturity in lead and backup vocals throughout the album. A little "cheerleady" on a couple tracks. Great guitar riffs throughout. Overall, something to enjoy on every track.
  40. draked.
    Aug 11, 2007
    of course, the hooks pull you in easily, and have you singing along in about the first time you hear the album... i honestly do not like alot of pop but this is my favorite cd in my collection.
  41. emmah
    Aug 9, 2007
    wicked album i'd say her best yet. love track 7. not too keen on girlfriend now, got a bit annoying.
  42. alexf
    Jul 25, 2007
    This album was way worse than her other albums. it is so pointless and has nothing creative about it.
  43. abcabc
    Jul 25, 2007
    abc
  44. johndoe
    Jul 21, 2007
    awesome
  45. whatever
    Jul 17, 2007
    Avril is just "Pop" And so is her music, especially this record. That's why music is dying. Plain Simple.
  46. WillJ.
    Jul 12, 2007
    For fucks sake she's an annoying rodent with a voice like burnt roadkill and a face to match. I'm simply surprised that sane critics haven't killed her, let alone actually like the auricular abortion. They like this bitch more than the Bravery, COME ON. For people who catch her on the street it is well advised to cut off her limbs and burn the stubs, then feed her through a For fucks sake she's an annoying rodent with a voice like burnt roadkill and a face to match. I'm simply surprised that sane critics haven't killed her, let alone actually like the auricular abortion. They like this bitch more than the Bravery, COME ON. For people who catch her on the street it is well advised to cut off her limbs and burn the stubs, then feed her through a woodchipper, then blow it up, and feed the remains to your her dog, step on it then feed that dog to your dog or someone elses dog. She's twenty three??? I saw the Punk'd where she cried, and it was the happiest day of my life. Expand
  47. YavB.
    Jul 11, 2007
    this album is the best of all !
  48. henryg.
    Jul 11, 2007
    It's good. Fun, poppy laughs. All the tracks are good, and are only let down by some bad rap style parts, but that's it. I still prefer Under My Skin though.
  49. DrewN.
    Jul 7, 2007
    One word Fun STOP COMPARING IT TO UNDER MY SKIN THEN MAYBE YOU'LL LIKE IT
  50. joanney.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Disgusting, how whiny voice drives me crazy and these songs, especially Girlfriend are ripoffs, that's why she's being sued for stealing songs.
  51. AllyS.
    Jul 4, 2007
    It's great! I love Avril!
  52. TiagoR.
    Jul 4, 2007
    This is the one!
  53. GaborA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Sheer garbage. And it sends the wrong message to girls young/stupid enough to listen to this in the first place.
  54. diegoS
    Jun 28, 2007
    this record is very good! perfect!
  55. TulioL.s
    Jun 20, 2007
    This is the best album of the year!
  56. PrometheusF
    Jun 17, 2007
    One question; why?! Her music was just starting to finely mature and then this. This will make some undecided teenage girls lifelong supporters and the rest of us just disgusted. This bubblegum pop is certainly not sugar-free, as the singer shamelessly refuses to act her age. After hearing "Hey hey you you!" chanted by Avril's target group I really hope that this will be the last we One question; why?! Her music was just starting to finely mature and then this. This will make some undecided teenage girls lifelong supporters and the rest of us just disgusted. This bubblegum pop is certainly not sugar-free, as the singer shamelessly refuses to act her age. After hearing "Hey hey you you!" chanted by Avril's target group I really hope that this will be the last we see of this latest incarnation of Avril. Expand
  57. DylanD.
    Jun 12, 2007
    This album sucks. Repetitive songs, droning delivery, need I go on??
  58. nickc.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Are you fucking serious? Hahahaha! BUNK. Uber-produced girl pop-plastic candy.
  59. NatashaG.
    Jun 7, 2007
    i like this album.......i don't really like all the songs on it....but it was cool.......my favorite (of course) is the song.....Girlfriend.......
  60. Blackr.
    Jun 6, 2007
    Its THE best greatest thing ever!!!!!!! Those who don't like it, fuck off asses!
  61. Eva
    Jun 4, 2007
    nothing is exciting about this album anymore, the songs basically sound all the same... her emotional songs which i liked so much in her previous albums have become dull. very disappointing
  62. ChantelleM.
    Jun 2, 2007
    I was intrigued after hearing 'Girlfriend' on the radio. As someone who loved the last two albums, I was glad to see another album had been released. Thankfully I grabbed a download of this before buying it this time, because I wouldn't waste my money on this CD. I had to stop it after track six because it was annoying to listen to. Change is good in an artist, but this is I was intrigued after hearing 'Girlfriend' on the radio. As someone who loved the last two albums, I was glad to see another album had been released. Thankfully I grabbed a download of this before buying it this time, because I wouldn't waste my money on this CD. I had to stop it after track six because it was annoying to listen to. Change is good in an artist, but this is a step backward. Expand
  63. BrunoT
    Jun 1, 2007
    her best album so far and its is appealing to a wider audience than the previous one. Excellent music.
  64. KateB.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Oh dear oh dear. Never bought this, Thank God, but my friends insist on playing it over and over and over. When I saw the video for Girlfriend I thought: is she taking the piss? I soon realised she wasn't and that her lyrics are really that bad. And where did the punk "I hate blondes" image go? Down the pan along with my sanity I'd imagine. Sell out.
  65. CraigO
    Jun 1, 2007
    Well, I guess someone has to fill the void of "20-something pop-hussy pretending to be 16 to sell records" artists now that Britney's complete white trash and Christina can't seem to get out of a pre-Cold War era montage... I don't expect much from Avril, but vampant, whiney trash is below even her.
  66. nipuns.
    May 20, 2007
    i was very dissapointed .......earlier avril seemed to define her music as her own by stating her views and being rebel like, she has done the exact opposite this time and she sounds like gwen stefani or pink.
  67. ArnoldH.
    May 18, 2007
    Her album rocks! Every single song is so great!
  68. vineett
    May 14, 2007
    This is her best album so far, I love her "Girlfriend" song....she rocks!!!
  69. SandyC
    May 12, 2007
    Like alot of people say "She ain't no punk". Nope this is pure power-pop. Her antecedants stretch back to Suzy Quatro and the Go-Go's. Not as smart as Cheap Trick, but every bit as nasty as The Knack. Lyricaly the whole thing seems to take place in the girls bathroom. Well so what I suppose if one were a 17 year old upper-middle class mall rat this would be Tolstoy. Don't Like alot of people say "She ain't no punk". Nope this is pure power-pop. Her antecedants stretch back to Suzy Quatro and the Go-Go's. Not as smart as Cheap Trick, but every bit as nasty as The Knack. Lyricaly the whole thing seems to take place in the girls bathroom. Well so what I suppose if one were a 17 year old upper-middle class mall rat this would be Tolstoy. Don't think about it is probably the safest bet. Expand
  70. GeraldF
    May 9, 2007
    Beyond the occasional groove that is lifted directly from her husbands band, this music is trite and forgettable. You can hear the ching ching of the cash registers as this was made to make money, pure and simple. It's also taken a young artist who called the world on it's toxins and made her one of them. It's nasty, self indulgent, narcisistic music and it encourages other Beyond the occasional groove that is lifted directly from her husbands band, this music is trite and forgettable. You can hear the ching ching of the cash registers as this was made to make money, pure and simple. It's also taken a young artist who called the world on it's toxins and made her one of them. It's nasty, self indulgent, narcisistic music and it encourages other people to be that way. It's hard enough for people to figure themselves out without this crap being out there. Expand
  71. mikes.
    May 8, 2007
    An excellent album and by far avril lavigne's best yet. She has matured as a pop artist and has grown out of her teenage angst driven phase. Now older and married she seems focus on just having fun and cares more about entertaining an audience than her previous self centered efforts. One of the year's best pop albums, period.
  72. Niki
    May 6, 2007
    This albus was SO disappointing....and that's an understatement...she's totally detached herself from the kind of image she created with her first two albums.I was a die hard fan until this catastrophe.....i swear the music gave me a headache...
  73. Hamoodsnake
    May 6, 2007
    i really love most of the songs are great accept for maybe 2 or 3 buy it
  74. AnnaS
    May 5, 2007
    The frustrating thing about this album is that she sounds so sincere on every track. I think the critics confused loudness of screaming for quality of hooks when they rated the album. In reality, the album isn't just bratty, it's bratty in an annoying way. The repeated "Hey you" motif (the catchphrase is used at least once per song) gets old fast (especially with Avril's The frustrating thing about this album is that she sounds so sincere on every track. I think the critics confused loudness of screaming for quality of hooks when they rated the album. In reality, the album isn't just bratty, it's bratty in an annoying way. The repeated "Hey you" motif (the catchphrase is used at least once per song) gets old fast (especially with Avril's monotone delivery), and lines like "she's like so whatever" or "what'd you say, I told you so, you always know that, cause I know" aren't adorably adolescent, they're just terrible songwriting. Hooks are a good thing, but I like mine to at least make some sort of sense in the English syntax. I'm as big of a fan of bubblegum pop as anybody (I loved Let Go), but this isn't the best damn thing, it's the most damn annoying. Expand
  75. punkstar202
    May 4, 2007
    This is the best album ever. She really made a comeback!!! She is absoultly awesome!
  76. Sam
    May 2, 2007
    I hate for this to be about the image that the songs give, but I thought Avril was original because she didn't try to sound like Gwen. But the music video for Girlfriend - and the sound in general - has that style written all over it. Which would be fine, if it were Gwen. But it's not. It's Avril. And it doesn't sound like her anymore. Very unoriginal. Yes, the songs I hate for this to be about the image that the songs give, but I thought Avril was original because she didn't try to sound like Gwen. But the music video for Girlfriend - and the sound in general - has that style written all over it. Which would be fine, if it were Gwen. But it's not. It's Avril. And it doesn't sound like her anymore. Very unoriginal. Yes, the songs are outrageously catchy and have a good beat and are fun to hop up and down to at prom, but after the 2nd time I grow weary. They're not very original, and the lyrics are kind of self-centered. Her "Under My Skin" and "Let Go" lyrics were angsty, to be sure, and it might have gotten a bit tiring after a well, but at least they avoided the "I'm a girl who likes pretty ribbons in my hair and wants to kiss all the boys!" vibe. I don't like this vibe. It's kind of unoriginal for music (Hey Mickey, etc.), and I'm not fond of the idea that she had to sing a song like "Girlfriend" to get widespread popularity. Expand
  77. cjm
    May 2, 2007
    i listen to quite an odd collection of music, but this happened to snap me out of my death metal phase...which i had been in for a few months...i'll give it an 8 for the catchy beats and fun songs, but there are some songs that have no place on this album...
  78. McBaird
    Apr 29, 2007
    She sucks so bad my ears bled. She can probably spell "write" though, unlike user Bob E
  79. tonib
    i love the song it is her best 1 yet
  80. soccerchick
    Apr 29, 2007
    This album is terrible. Avril is so conceited and shallow, the music is unbearable. I really liked 'Let Go' (songs like, Things I'll Never Say, and Too Much to Ask), and Under My Skin because Avril wasn't trying to change her voice, and she sang about how she felt, and didnt just sing about herself. The Best Damn Thing painfully reminds me of Gwen and Britney Spears. This album is terrible. Avril is so conceited and shallow, the music is unbearable. I really liked 'Let Go' (songs like, Things I'll Never Say, and Too Much to Ask), and Under My Skin because Avril wasn't trying to change her voice, and she sang about how she felt, and didnt just sing about herself. The Best Damn Thing painfully reminds me of Gwen and Britney Spears. Usually I would go and buy her album the first day it came out. I wont be buying this one. All I can do is hope that she grows up and stops trying to please everybody else. Expand
    Apr 28, 2007
    Now that Avril feels like having fun, she put out her best disc yet, and not a single dud in the 12 tracks. However, it seems Sony has pulled a dirty trick. To get the uncut explicit version, you have to cough up extra for the deluxe edition with the DVD, while all the regular editions are, though seemlessly done, edited editions!! This is biased against fans who can't afford the Now that Avril feels like having fun, she put out her best disc yet, and not a single dud in the 12 tracks. However, it seems Sony has pulled a dirty trick. To get the uncut explicit version, you have to cough up extra for the deluxe edition with the DVD, while all the regular editions are, though seemlessly done, edited editions!! This is biased against fans who can't afford the deluxe. By trying to keep profanity down, Sony have sent a worse message; that it's OK to charge fans extra for freedom of speech. Avril, you might want talk to Sony about that issue, cause this is your best album yet, and I wanna hear it in its genuine, uncut explicit form, the way it was meant to be. Expand
  82. mikeyf
    Apr 28, 2007
    a dog passing peaches pits could out sing this kunt. i say "uncle", this shiite makes me worry about mayan, papist, nostradamus', you name him's 2012 drop dead date may well be the real end of the world. (she'll be on satan's 2nd stage band's list). blame / invade canada. this noise must be stopped.
  83. EmmaL
    Apr 28, 2007
    very disappointing album, alot more immature than her last two albums.
  84. Noctiluca
    Apr 27, 2007
    This is a technically solid album, full of nice production and radio-friendly hits. I enjoy it enough, and I like Avril; she has an allure working for her that's missing in many others. However, I was hoping this album would take it up a notch. I am 21 now and she's 22 these days. In many ways, we grew up together. Yet while I have moved on to many new places in my life, she This is a technically solid album, full of nice production and radio-friendly hits. I enjoy it enough, and I like Avril; she has an allure working for her that's missing in many others. However, I was hoping this album would take it up a notch. I am 21 now and she's 22 these days. In many ways, we grew up together. Yet while I have moved on to many new places in my life, she still comes off like she's writing these songs during lunch hour in Freshman year of high school. She doesn't sound like an adult that was recently married, and her lyrics are still incredibly plain. Many of the songs are like a teenager out to prove she can stay up late at night and rebel against her parents. This is generally the same message of the last two albums to a new beat. I find this an above-average pop/rock album still, but I don't think she can afford to make the same album again. If she does, I may have officially outgrown her for good. Expand
  85. lagomorphD
    Apr 27, 2007
    Anyone who is still calling this punk/pop has not even listened to the record and is just basing their assessment of it on her first spunky single. There is nothing punk about any track except the first single "girlfriend". Avril must have a lot of haters because if anyone bothered to listen to this they'd find glossy pop in the vein of Alanis Morisette, and most of the lyrics are on Anyone who is still calling this punk/pop has not even listened to the record and is just basing their assessment of it on her first spunky single. There is nothing punk about any track except the first single "girlfriend". Avril must have a lot of haters because if anyone bothered to listen to this they'd find glossy pop in the vein of Alanis Morisette, and most of the lyrics are on par or superior to her previous efforts. It's less angsty diary pop spew and more round about storytelling, but her way with a phrase is as skillful as ever. I'm kind of ashamed of those who are loving and hating this album without really paying attention. Expand
  86. DrunkenMaster
    Apr 26, 2007
    Total Brilliance! If you are troubled and confused by complicated "indie" bands like Liars, Deerhunter or Low then this CD is for you. There is no subtlety, nuance or depth here, just sheer, brilliant banality! Enjoy, America!
  87. BobE
    Apr 26, 2007
    She is crap faceit she cantsing and she cant wrightlyrics her new stuffis worse I hate her
  88. Christina
    Apr 25, 2007
    Great album! Avril did it again!
  89. ReyesG
    Apr 25, 2007
    I think that Avril had a lot of fun making this album, she even said she wanted to try something different and that's why i love avril, she won't change for anyone
  90. MattH
    Apr 25, 2007
    This album rocks! Avrils best yet!!!!
  91. DianeN
    Apr 24, 2007
    Junk.... she's turned into a Britney spears wannabe singing punk rock. And the swearing isn't appreciated... I won't be buying it!
  92. knomi
    Apr 24, 2007
    largely inconsequential pop-punk radio dreck, but this is avril lavigne; I don't know that anyone was expecting anything beyond (an ironically vapid) dissertation on why she is so cool and why other chicks aren't. at least she's not good charlotte.
  93. AshleyV
    Apr 24, 2007
    Honestly some of the best work Avril has ever done. This album remews her pop/punk style in a fun way.
  94. DrewF
    Apr 24, 2007
    Isn't Avril getting too old to be singing about some of this stuff?
  95. BrentS
    Apr 23, 2007
    This is Avrils best yet! Its not dark, but its high octane fun! Best damn thing ever!!!
  96. DavidG
    Apr 23, 2007
    havn't got time right now to give a full review, but be sure to buy the album it's amazing. I liked Let Go and at the time didn't think her second album could top that. I think UMS was fucking awesome a lot more mature and you could really see Avril was going through a hard time and discovering who she was as oppesed to the kind of immature debut album. Her 2nd album got me havn't got time right now to give a full review, but be sure to buy the album it's amazing. I liked Let Go and at the time didn't think her second album could top that. I think UMS was fucking awesome a lot more mature and you could really see Avril was going through a hard time and discovering who she was as oppesed to the kind of immature debut album. Her 2nd album got me through some hard times too, now her 3rd album is very upbeat, you can tell she's happy and content with married life and just having fun writting some kick ass songs with catchy beats. Go out and buy it now, listen for yourself, you may be a little shocked at first at the slightly different style but i'm sure you'll love it. It certainly grows on you very fast, it the best damn fucking thing ever. Expand
  97. JasonK
    Apr 22, 2007
    Avril Lavigne fails in this one.
  98. heather
    Apr 22, 2007
    Her first two albums were okay but this one is just an insult to teen's intelect! The lyrics are repetitive, meaningless and disposable. She loves to rhyme the words with itselves, I hope she disappear of the musical scene soon. She better make a good album next time or she'll be done in the business...
  99. ChrisWojo
    Apr 22, 2007
    So sexy and so fun! A Great summer CD!
  100. Hunter
    This album kicks ass.

1. The dumb, girly, giddy Best Damn Thing reembraces the 15-year-old pom-pom punkette within, with multitracked hand claps, Toni Basil-gone-bad cheers, and pep-rally-rattling guitars.
  2. The Best Damn Thing is a big step back for an artist who was just starting to grow up.
  3. It's a consciously lightweight pop-punk romp that appears to have been inspired by "Since U Been Gone," Kelly Clarkson's massive hit.