7.2

Review this album

1. Feb 2, 2012
    This is a record of highs and lows. It has got some fantastic tracks on it but also a few duds as well. Empire State of Mind works really well and Already Home is also a great track. One problem I have with the record in general is that it lacks the passion and spark of his best work. Apart from on a few tracks, there is no real fire here. He's almost on auto-pilot. Still sounds pretty good though. Expand
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    Over Jay-Z’s career, there’ve been a lot of fluctuations concerning the quality of his music and after listening to the first singles, I began hoping that the senior would be able to top the rap game once again. However, this is again not the case and while The Blueprint 3 is a slight step-up from the first two albums after his short musical break, it doesn’t nearly come close to Reasonable Doubt, the original The Blueprint, or The Black Album. What Mr. Carter did do on his 11th solo album was make his music more appealing to the mass after the album’s predecessor American Gangster didn’t include one really radio-friendly song. Besides the six singles in total, The Blueprint 3 serves a couple of other catchy tunes as well in my opinion, those were Off That, Already Home, and Real as It Gets. But as I’ve experienced so often over the course of time, just because a hip hop song is catchy, it doesn’t instantly have to be good. This album is a prime example for just that and once you’ve heard the aforementioned songs a handful of times, you’ll lose interest. Granted, there are some exceptions, namely D.O.A. (one of the best beats in hip history, seriously!), A Star Is Born (J. Cole takes Eminem’s part in the unofficial sequel to Renegade), Run the World (Jay and Kanye did good on their verses and Rihanna impressed me on the hook), Young Forever (well, mostly because of the Alphaville song that’s sampled), and Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z is so great on this one, I can even endure Alicia Keys on it). I’ve just listed a third of the songs on The Blueprint 3 and that isn’t nearly enough for an album to be good. Thus, I’m giving Jay-Z a negative rating once again, which absolutely wouldn’t have been necessary, if you just listen to the five really good tracks I’ve pointed out. For the rest though, it’s (while quoting another mediocre song on the album) On to the Next One. Expand
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    I very much enjoyed The Blueprint 3. Jay Z produces an album that even someone who isn't the biggest rap fan will enjoy. A lack of shallow lyrics for the most part and catchy beats and tracks makes this a success.
  4. Aug 22, 2011
    the album is good, the beats are what make it though. Jay Z on this album really made it clear that he's rich and the best and theres nothing nobody can do about it. This album was overall **** he bragged about his money and accomplishments. Talked about how he's on new stuff and other artist are far behind. Not Jay Z's best album or worst but it falls in between. I'm guessing thats why its called the blueprint. Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    So many awesome guests in his songs. One of the best albums I ever listened to.
  6. Sep 27, 2011
    Jay-Z should be ashamed. Yes he is top of the Charts, yes he went platinum, but does that mean it has skill. For some who bleats he is the "best Rapper Alive" I was expecting a much better Album, especially after American Gangster.

They were all radio friendly tracks the one collaboriation song with J. Cole should have been a single. That would bring a lot recognition to J. Cole.
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    "Empire State of Mind" was a great song describing new york and Jay Z's life beautifully with rythmic raps and great support from Alicia Keys. Must listen!!!
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    This Album definitely had it's moments Empire State of mind). However, overall it was a very inconsistent album. It seems that at times, Jay Z gets annihilated, whether it's by little brother Run this town), or the next hottest thing out (drake). Only about 5 or 6 great tracks on this album, that's what saves the album.
  9. Jun 22, 2011
    My favorite Jay-z album. It truly has a great style and feel. If there was ever a rapper to stand up against eminem, after hearing this album, i'd say it has to be jay-z.
  10. Mar 15, 2012
    His most complete album musically; only slight disappointment was D.O.A. (great idea, but Jay-Z singing "na na na na... hey hey hey goodbye" was not the greatest idea he every had). Overall, however, a very good album.

1. Blueprint is hip-hop as big business, and Jay retains his CEO throne.
  2. Jay overreaches, leaning too heavily on by-the-numbers production from Kanye West and Timbaland, and muffling his own voice in favor of a guest-heavy tracklist.
  3. Without its filler, this album could have been at least good, if not great. But, for better or for worse, this is what Jay wanted us to hear right now. It’s just a shame that it’s not entirely worth hearing.