• Record Label: Capitol
8.8

Review this album

1. JakeM.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Someone needs to call b.s. on these clowns. If Meloy's donkey-voiced bleating doesn't kill this, than the "MFA in Creative Writing" damaged narratives sink it in a sea of pretention. Please please please! Enough hyper-literate indie rock already!!!
  2. ToddW
    Oct 4, 2006
    Any group that is the champion of dysfunctional dressers can't be all bad, right? Uh, yeah. These guys make me want to hit the "Next" button on my CD player quicker than anyone I've ever heard. If you favor doom and gloom with a glimmer of pop, these guys are your ticket. As cold and lifeless as the winter month from which they take their name, may they be banned to a career of Any group that is the champion of dysfunctional dressers can't be all bad, right? Uh, yeah. These guys make me want to hit the "Next" button on my CD player quicker than anyone I've ever heard. If you favor doom and gloom with a glimmer of pop, these guys are your ticket. As cold and lifeless as the winter month from which they take their name, may they be banned to a career of staring out at those worst dressed lemmings with the bad eyewear. Please just stop trying to inculcate the rest of us. Expand
  3. DDB
    Oct 18, 2006
    Heinous! The creepiest minstrel music ever. And so precious. Bought it because of the high reviews - none of which are warranted. Sorry - this is bad music.
  4. NONo
    Jun 13, 2008
    Somethings terribly wrong... how can a crap band like this get raved reviews?

1. Oddly, the unconventional sequencing and measured pace of the album make the fragmented mess hold together quite well.
  2. The jarring faux-metal riffage of "When the War Came" exposes Meloy's limits, but several of these studies in heartbreak and homicide rank among his most moving. [6 Oct 2006, p.68]
  3. Most of The Crane Wife consists of rehashes of Decemberists staples and by-the-books, cookie-cutter indie pop that runs the gamut between pleasant enough ("O, Valencia!") and barely tolerable ("Summersong").