7.1

Review this album

1. Dec 21, 2011
    Fantastic flow, and tight lyrics... but that is what you expect with Common. The only downside one could say about this album is that it sounds somewhat like his old albums... he treads familiar waters you could say... but i sure as hell don't mind that at all. Its not revolutionary or a career best or classic. Its just good wholesome rap... and sadly we don't see a lot of that these days.
  2. Dec 22, 2011
    This album is definitely the best of 2011. The production is incredible. I had no idea that No ID could create on this level. He and Kanye definitely have influenced each other in the last few years. Common lyrically played it safe, not a lot of Oooh Aaahh moments lyrically but nothing corny either. This album is definitely for the 30 something crowd.
  3. Dec 20, 2011
    Best album of 2011. There is not a track on here that I didn't enjoy. Yes I will admit that I am a sucker for albums with only 1 producer, but the cohesive sound of the album should be noted. Common delivers lyrically as always. Really Really enjoy this album.
  4. Jan 9, 2012
    It's a solid album that is significantly better than his experimental effort with UMC. Definitely strengthens his overall catalog, especially with songs like "The Dreamer", "Ghetto Dreams", "Blue Sky", "Sweet", "Raw", "Love I Lost" & "Cloth" all being on one disc. Solid 12 track LP, definitely worth of being in the 70's meta-score.
  5. Apr 3, 2012
    Good album. This is probably one of his best albums. He was hungry and aggressive. I felt his anger on some tracks, but I also felt peace with the song "Celebrate". Keep up the good work Common.
  6. Jan 10, 2012
    Common definitely doesn't produce usual rap, as his name could suggest: he never did. Even with his 2008 effort, Universal mind control, though delivering to the ear of the hip hop lover a much more electronic sound than in the past, he tried something truly different: this new album is somehow similar in its soul, renewing the classic and retro sound that has made Common so appreciated, but winking, this time, at old school beat lovers and conscious rappers. Which is, if you ask me, a brave and truly appreciated choice. Expand

1. Mar 22, 2012
    The fire is back in his belly. [Apr 2012, p.88]
  2. Mar 14, 2012
    [Common] delivers something fresh and vibrant by applying his seasoned skills to old-school breaks, classic hooks and a measure of eclecticism. [April 2012, p.104]
  3. It's a shame the God-bothering pomp of John Legend collaboration "The Believer" spoils it all at the end.