The Great Misdirect - Between the Buried and Me
8.9

Review this album

1. Aug 12, 2010
    This record is another piece from Between the Buried and Me that should be remember and replayed numerous times. The album opens up with "Mirrors" which begins softly just like their other album "Colors". It is an easy listen and provides a great introduction to their next track. The track that stood out to me the most was "Fossil Genera: A Feed from Cloud Mountain". The opening is a catch piano tune followed by a heavy guitar riff. When you first hear it your stomach turns inside out with excitement. When I first heard I thought that the piano driven metal was one of the coolest things I have ever heard. Later in the song it calms down and transitions to an acoustic guitar tune with clean vocals. This section of the song is very soothing and leads to a very nice guitar solo. Then the ending arrives and it is a wall of sound that is hard to forget. The entire song is unforgettable and one of the most listened to songs on my iPod. The lowest point on the album for me is the final track, "Swim to the Moon". Throughout the entire song I had the feeling that they were just trying to hard. There was guitar solos and drum solos all around, and there were clean vocal sections that just weren't all that memorable. Another downside is that the track is 17 minutes long. This is usually the only track on the album I ever skip. Other than the last track the album is truly innovative and an unbelievable listen. Between the Buried and Me is a band that is constantly innovating and trying new things. While it may not be their strongest record, there is enough great material here to count it in as another epic peace from a band that really knows what they are doing. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    This album is a masterpiece. Even their country song has me hooked, and the 20 minute long epic that is swim to the moon never fails to enthrall me. This is original music. You can't just put this into a genre since it goes all over the place, and you certainly can't judge the album based around 1 song. Let it play all the way through and take it all in. It's the only way.
  3. Aug 7, 2011
    This album is a roller coaster of awesome, and shows what brilliant guys the members of this band are. Album is not perfect, but pretty damn close to being perfect.

1. It's an experience, to say the least. At the same time, The Great Misdirect is the type of overblown record that asks the question, "Is there such thing as being too ambitious?"
  2. As the album stretches on, it's hard not to notice that some of the unbridled enthusiasm that made Alaska and Colors the heavy, heady trips that they were has been sacrificed. That's forgivable. The type of a maturation process that Between the Buried and Me has embarked on is never easy, and the record shows that few bands from rock's progressive edges pull it off.
  3. Between the Buried and Me have refined their sound and improved their songwriting ten-fold, and while The Great Misdirect may not match "The Silent Circus'" raw energy and intensity, it might be their most coherent album yet.