The Greatest Generation - The Wonder Years
8.2

Review this album

1. Jun 15, 2013
    Pop Punk notoriously tends to be a very immature genre. It's full of bands in their twenties, sometimes thirties, singing about teen heartbreak with fast drums and simple chords to go along with it. That's why, normally, there isn't a pop punk band that can actually make outsiders appreciate what the genre is or what it could be. If the genre stagnates, the only reason people will listen is for nostalgia and that's only if those people listened to those bands in their teen years. Outside listeners tend to disregard the genre, rightly so.

The Wonder Years is a band that defies pop punk. They're not comfortable with sitting in the same place. They don't sing about teen heartbreak. They've always tackled somewhat more important subjects to the same fast blistering generic sound. The Greatest Generation is an album for people in their twenties. That's something that can't be said for nearly every pop punk album ever released. While The Upsides tackled anxiety and depression the young generation experiences, Suburbia tackled dealing with your place in the world, The Greatest Generation tackles reaching the point of acceptance. Life isn't spelled out for you and you have to move along. It's about hoping that life can get better rather than marinating in your own problems and depression. While the sound isn't necessarily anything new, it's the best the genre has to offer. The singer Dan "Soupy" Campbell has always been the best part of the band, showing flashes of brilliance as a writer the past few years. Here, he drops some of the most quote-able and unique lines pop punk has ever produced. There is no equal lyricist in the genre. He's firmly ahead by a wide margin.

While at first the album might seem like the same old by first time listeners, staying with the album and listening to the lyrics will undoubtedly earn your respect. The Wonder Years doesn't make a perfect album, but the reason it gets a ten from me is because it takes a genre that couldn't be more immature and makes it accessibly mature. It's groundbreaking in the sense of pop punk itself. It pushes it to its limits and surpasses those limits.

One of the best things that can be said is that this album might inspire future generations and change the genre for the better. Pop Punk might never be the same again. It might even become respectable. When people in the future look at pop punk and wonder when it all changed, they'll find the The Greatest Generation. A well crafted mature record that defied its own genre.
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    This album reminds me of the pop punk bands in the 90's, and it does a great job musically as well. I have to say. This is one of the best pop-punk records out there.
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    I've never had a band hit home quite as much as this band has. So many feels. I just put my ear buds in and listen to this album and just have the greatest sense of nostalgia. I was already a casual fan, but this album won me over to be a huge fan. This is just a masterpiece.
  4. Jun 23, 2013
    Quite possibly the best pop-punk album I have ever heard. Each song clearly shows that the Wonder Years are a band of dedication, honesty, and phenomenal talent.
  5. Jul 11, 2013
    The Wonder Years repeatedly resets the bar for pop-punk with each new album release. But there's one thing that's certain after listening to this band's trilogy of music- The Wonder Years are not your average pop-punk band. When the hype for a newly announced Wonder Years album begins to surface, people always have the question, "How can these guys possibly top their previous release?" The Wonder Years proved that they have the ability to do that with the release of Suburbia, and they quite possibly have proven it again with 'The Greatest Generation'. My personal favorites include There, There, Dismantling Summer, The Devil In My Bloodstream, and Cul-de-sac, but this album deserves to be listened to as a whole piece of art. My recommendation: Listen to this album, even if you're not a fan of the genre. Expand

1. Jun 3, 2013
    It's an often staggering record, by a great band, defying odds, on a hell of a run of first-lass creative form. [4 May 2013, p.52]
  2. It is my firm belief that The Greatest Generation has no real precedent in this community.
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    If you're a fan of autumnal pop that wears its heart on its sleeve as it shouts its feelings out to anyone who will listen and you're not a fan of these guys, The Greatest Generation is here to realign your priorities for you.