The Greatest Generation

• Release Date: May 14, 2013
8.6

Review this album

1. Aug 16, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this album. Being from Philadelphia, I could identify with a lot of the references made by the Wonder Years. I admit that at times I have a little bit of "musical ADD", as some albums only keep me entertained for about 4 or 5 songs. This album is one of the few that I can listen to from beginning to end. That's not to say that the whole album is absolutely amazing,I thoroughly enjoyed this album. Being from Philadelphia, I could identify with a lot of the references made by the Wonder Years. I admit that at times I have a little bit of "musical ADD", as some albums only keep me entertained for about 4 or 5 songs. This album is one of the few that I can listen to from beginning to end. That's not to say that the whole album is absolutely amazing, as it is very categorically pop-punk. But I enjoyed this album. Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    This album reminds me of the pop punk bands in the 90's, and it does a great job musically as well. I have to say. This is one of the best pop-punk records out there.
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    I've never had a band hit home quite as much as this band has. So many feels. I just put my ear buds in and listen to this album and just have the greatest sense of nostalgia. I was already a casual fan, but this album won me over to be a huge fan. This is just a masterpiece.
  4. Oct 29, 2013
    Being a fan of pop-punk myself, when I was first introduced to The Wonder Years' overzealous "Get Stoked On It!" I was a little bit doubtful that this band was serious. The immature lyrics and melodies made me believe that I was listening to some high school teens mess about with some musical instruments. That's not to say I didn't personally enjoy the album.

The Wonder Years have come

The Wonder Years have come a long, long way since then. According to lead vocalist Dan Campbell, The Upsides, Suburbia and The Greatest Generation all tell a tale of a bittersweet life story. The Upsides is all about life before and after college, Suburbia is about the tragic tales of Suburban life and The Greatest Generation is about, well, life itself.

The Greatest Generation is not as hard hitting as Suburbia or The Upsides, and because the band have been pumping out their almost 'emo' style for two previous albums, it is surely expected that The Wonder Years will eventually just be running on empty. Nothing will be different. That can be said for The Greatest Generation, in the sense that all the songs are similar in some way.
    However, The Upsides had the same kind of problem.

The only other negative aspect I feel I should point out is if you're looking for memorable, chart-worthy songs, this album is not for you. None of the songs are particularly memorable certainly not when compared to the songs of other pop-punk bands such as All Time Low. "Passing Through A Screen Door" might be recognizable, but it's not radio-standard.

The reason I scored this album an 8 is because it is hard hitting, and is available to give you a huge dose of reality right when you need it. It has the power to whittle you down to a sobbing mess if you feel you can 'relate' and that's what I respect about The Wonder Years because The Greatest Generation is a finely crafted album, and it's clear a lot of time and hard work has been put into this.

The only issue I have is that The Wonder Years are reaching the end of the line for fresh emo-punk content that they've been putting out since 2010 on the other hand if vocalist Dan Campbell's words are to be believed: "The Greatest Generation is an ending to a trilogy," and I must say, "I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral" is a damn brilliant ending to it.

What is next for The Wonder Years' musical ventures? Who knows. But The Greatest Generation is a fantastic ending to their previous album ethoi.
  5. Jun 15, 2013
    Pop Punk notoriously tends to be a very immature genre. It's full of bands in their twenties, sometimes thirties, singing about teen heartbreak with fast drums and simple chords to go along with it. That's why, normally, there isn't a pop punk band that can actually make outsiders appreciate what the genre is or what it could be. If the genre stagnates, the only reason people will listenPop Punk notoriously tends to be a very immature genre. It's full of bands in their twenties, sometimes thirties, singing about teen heartbreak with fast drums and simple chords to go along with it. That's why, normally, there isn't a pop punk band that can actually make outsiders appreciate what the genre is or what it could be. If the genre stagnates, the only reason people will listen is for nostalgia and that's only if those people listened to those bands in their teen years. Outside listeners tend to disregard the genre, rightly so.

The Wonder Years is a band that defies pop punk. They're not comfortable with sitting in the same place. They don't sing about teen heartbreak. They've always tackled somewhat more important subjects to the same fast blistering generic sound. The Greatest Generation is an album for people in their twenties. That's something that can't be said for nearly every pop punk album ever released. While The Upsides tackled anxiety and depression the young generation experiences, Suburbia tackled dealing with your place in the world, The Greatest Generation tackles reaching the point of acceptance. Life isn't spelled out for you and you have to move along. It's about hoping that life can get better rather than marinating in your own problems and depression. While the sound isn't necessarily anything new, it's the best the genre has to offer. The singer Dan "Soupy" Campbell has always been the best part of the band, showing flashes of brilliance as a writer the past few years. Here, he drops some of the most quote-able and unique lines pop punk has ever produced. There is no equal lyricist in the genre. He's firmly ahead by a wide margin.

While at first the album might seem like the same old by first time listeners, staying with the album and listening to the lyrics will undoubtedly earn your respect. The Wonder Years doesn't make a perfect album, but the reason it gets a ten from me is because it takes a genre that couldn't be more immature and makes it accessibly mature. It's groundbreaking in the sense of pop punk itself. It pushes it to its limits and surpasses those limits.

One of the best things that can be said is that this album might inspire future generations and change the genre for the better. Pop Punk might never be the same again. It might even become respectable. When people in the future look at pop punk and wonder when it all changed, they'll find the The Greatest Generation. A well crafted mature record that defied its own genre.
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    Quite possibly the best pop-punk album I have ever heard. Each song clearly shows that the Wonder Years are a band of dedication, honesty, and phenomenal talent.
  7. Jul 11, 2013
    The Wonder Years repeatedly resets the bar for pop-punk with each new album release. But there's one thing that's certain after listening to this band's trilogy of music- The Wonder Years are not your average pop-punk band. When the hype for a newly announced Wonder Years album begins to surface, people always have the question, "How can these guys possibly top their previous release?" TheThe Wonder Years repeatedly resets the bar for pop-punk with each new album release. But there's one thing that's certain after listening to this band's trilogy of music- The Wonder Years are not your average pop-punk band. When the hype for a newly announced Wonder Years album begins to surface, people always have the question, "How can these guys possibly top their previous release?" The Wonder Years proved that they have the ability to do that with the release of Suburbia, and they quite possibly have proven it again with 'The Greatest Generation'. My personal favorites include There, There, Dismantling Summer, The Devil In My Bloodstream, and Cul-de-sac, but this album deserves to be listened to as a whole piece of art. My recommendation: Listen to this album, even if you're not a fan of the genre. Expand
  8. Mar 14, 2016
    My first dealing with The Wonder Years and my opinion hasn't changed much from my first impression of this album. The band at this point in their career were a homage to the likes of Blink 182 but with the maturity of say Jimmy Eats World. This album offers nothing particularly special and your life won't be affected by hearing it or not. At the same time the bands sound packs a bit ofMy first dealing with The Wonder Years and my opinion hasn't changed much from my first impression of this album. The band at this point in their career were a homage to the likes of Blink 182 but with the maturity of say Jimmy Eats World. This album offers nothing particularly special and your life won't be affected by hearing it or not. At the same time the bands sound packs a bit of punch. All the tracks on this record are 7 out of 10s for me with no standouts. The result is that there is no real pull back to the album. For me, the follow up to this record "No Closer to Heaven" is a much better version of similar ideas. Expand
  9. Apr 4, 2015
    I remember the first time I heard a song by The Wonder Years. It was "Local Man Ruins Everything" and my older brother was listening to it on his laptop. Now back then, I was a close-minded fan of nothing but classic rock, Green Day, Foo Fighters, and Nirvana so I thought it was rubbish. Fast Forward to 2013. This new record just came out. My brother had seen them at Warped Tour so myI remember the first time I heard a song by The Wonder Years. It was "Local Man Ruins Everything" and my older brother was listening to it on his laptop. Now back then, I was a close-minded fan of nothing but classic rock, Green Day, Foo Fighters, and Nirvana so I thought it was rubbish. Fast Forward to 2013. This new record just came out. My brother had seen them at Warped Tour so my brother decided to get their most recent record. My musical tastes were changing so this time around I was mildly impressed, though I hated "Madelyn" and about half of the other songs, I thought were nothing special. Then a few months later, I had just gotten dumped by recent high school girlfriend. So looking through my CD collection (which I share with my brother due to our similar musical tastes) I found this record. I was looking for something sad, something that fit my mood and I remembered "There, There" was relatively somber. I might sound like an angst teenage loser (well, I am but that's not the point), but I cried while listening to the album. Not only did it help me get through a breakup, but it made me truly realize just how special The Wonder Years are. They know how to really jerk at your moments. "There, There" is a song that every awkward kid like me can relate to, and in fact it's become an anthem of mine-even in the happy times. "Passing Through A Screen Door" makes me think of where I'll be in the future. "The Devil in My Bloodstream" perfectly describes depression and anxiety. I could go on and on and on about things I like from each song, but I'm kind of low on time right now. So to sum it up, "I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral" may perhaps be the greatest album closer of all-time. It's not completely unique in style or pattern, if that's what you're looking for. No, it's something even more special than that. This song just perfectly sums up what the record is about. It takes all the most gut-wrenching, tear-jerking lyrics from several songs on the album and combines it into one enormous mammoth of an anthem. All in all, it's safe to say that while it's not the most advanced album playing wise (if you're into extremely technical music, this isn't for you) it's definitely my favorite record of all-time.

Also, if you get the chance, see this band live. They are one of the greatest bands I've ever seen. All the emotions displayed in the records really shine through in their set.

Best Tracks: "I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral", "The Bastards, The Vultures, The Wolves", "The Devil in My Bloodstream", "An American Religion", "There, There", "Passing Through A Screen Door", "Teenage Parents", "Dismantling Summer"
  10. May 20, 2015
    The Wonder Years don't have any competition in the pop-punk genre. Dan ("Soupy") Campbell's lyricism is honest, tear-jerking, heartbreaking, and downright brilliant. They continue to impress and improve with each release. Can't wait to see what they do next.

1. Kerrang!
    Jun 3, 2013
    It's an often staggering record, by a great band, defying odds, on a hell of a run of first-lass creative form. [4 May 2013, p.52]
  2. It is my firm belief that The Greatest Generation has no real precedent in this community.
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    If you're a fan of autumnal pop that wears its heart on its sleeve as it shouts its feelings out to anyone who will listen and you're not a fan of these guys, The Greatest Generation is here to realign your priorities for you.