The Heist - Ryan Lewis
7.9

Review this album

1. Nov 6, 2012
    The Heist is slick, tightly arranged, meaningful lyric album. It has a good mixture of radio friendly songs to hook the average listener but only to surprise you with the artistic soulful jams. I highly recommend this album.
  2. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I first heard of both Macklemore & Ryan Lewis from The VS. EP. Since then, I knew Macklemore would be a star. Wanting to support a fellow Seattleite, I pre-ordered the album. And I got to say, this album is fantastic, these guys find the perfect balance between upbeat silly songs (Thrift Shop, Castle & Gold), fist-pumping anthems (Can't Hold Us & Jimmy Iovine) and the somber, thought provoking songs (Same Love, Make The Money, Starting Over & Wing$). Macklemore is a very compassionate rapper. And you can't help but always be invested in what he says. Ryan Lewis is a great producer especially when he uses live instrumentation to help paint the setting that Macklemore's stories take place in. Same Love and Wing$ were my highlights on this album.

I do have a couple issues for this album. First, as much as I like both artists, I feel like the appearences of ScHoolboy Q & Ab-Soul (on White Walls & Jimmy Iovine) are completely unneccessary. Q's verse, and the whole song for that matter, completely contradict the album's sentiment. Soulo only does the chorus for the other song and it is so drowned in vocal effects you could barely tell. That plus the song Cowboy Boots is a pretty weak way to end the album.

Having said that, this album is truely an awesome album, with only a couple songs I could've done without, the songs that I liked are fantastic songs. If you haven't already, go cop this album. You'll probably not see an artist as original as Macklemore and you won't find a lot of people as big and as brave enough to talk about gay rights, consumerism, staying true to the fans, and thrift shop ballin' all on one album.
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    The Era of Conscious Rap Artists

Macklemore a.k.a Ben Haggerty and his producer, also longtime friend, Ryan Lewis are an unsigned rap duo from Seattle, Washington. With a plethora of singles this duo has become YouTube famous but still kept them under the radar and out of mainstream music, until October 9 when the duo released
  4. Jun 6, 2013
    What can i say? Macklemore and Ryan Lewis prove that not ll rap has to be crappy music. With meaningful lyrics, and songs you just can't stand still to. The Heist is one of the greatest rap albums of all time.
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    This is what a Hip-Hop album should sound like, amazing beats, keys, patterns, melodies and lyrics. This is the work of two people who we're inspired to create an album. The lyrics in most songs are very meaningful and powerful, there is no fillers in this album. Favorite songs of the album are; Starting Over, Wing$, Same Love, Make The Money and Neon Cathedral. I very much recommend this album, It's a must buy. Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    Not only did it deftly blend humour, inspiration and wonder. The Heist is a groundbreaking album and possibly the best rap album for a good few years. I loved every song, it had it's own attraction, and it's own charm. I can't fault
  7. Jan 29, 2013
    What an amazing album. No two songs alike and not a single one like something you have heard before. Original, fresh, frosty, and lyrically superior to any other rap albums out there. Thrift shop put him on the map but it's not even the best song. Highly recommend to anyone whether you have a broken keyboard or not.
  8. Dec 7, 2012
    Macklemore really stepped up to the plate to give out a great piece of music with Ryan Lewis. A great album, basically perfect, pretty much all of the songs have a great beat and his raps flow with ease, he has a promising future ahead of him.
  9. Feb 4, 2013
    I really think only a couple things are needed said to describe this album and artist. Macklemore is a lyrical genius, an artist that puts issues that needed to be said into song. The song Wing$ is one of the best written songs I've ever heard and Same Love is just behind. The world needs more Macklemore music.
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    One Of The Best Rap Albums Of All Time!
  11. Apr 3, 2013
    This is the best rap album PERIOD. Has the 2 catchiest songs ever. "Thrift Shop" and "Cant Hold Us ft Ray Dalton" Macklemore and Ryan Lewis make the best team ever, I just hope we see more of this
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    I can only say: WOOOOOW! Why? "The Heist" should be the best hiphop-album of 2013! "Thrift Shop" is f**king awesome :D And nobody "can't hold us" :D
    The Heist is unbelievable because the lyric, the music, the rapper Macklemore and the producer Ryan Lewis make this album awesome! Lyric: Wonderful! Production: Awesome! Good job, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis!
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    I am a gay man and of course I love same love and was aware of it when gay marriage was trying to get passed in Washington State back in August 2012 and his track was instrumental in making that happen, so of course I am a huge fan. Apart from that, even if I was not gay, I LOVE this cd so many dance tracks and so many fun and thoughtful and spiritual tracks ten out of ten.

1. Mar 11, 2013
    His imaginative, smartly delivered lyrics hold the attention during those moments when producer Lewis's beats don't quite match them for sparkle. [Apr 2013, p.94]
  2. Nov 16, 2012
    The record has its charms (the single "Thrift Shop," a cheeky ode to second-hand duds) and its virtues (the marriage-equality anthem "Same Love"). Unfortunately, MackĀ­lemore's virtuousness overwhelms his far more modest charms.
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    Macklemore's a mix of all of the above with some distinctive qualities, and with Lewis putting that kaleidoscope style underneath, The Heist winds up a rich combination of fresh and familiar.