7.8

Review this album

1. Jul 24, 2014
    The best electronica album ever!!! 10/10, and I wish I could give it 11 to make up for the lukewarm reviews it's got. The sounds and melodies are rivaled only by that of Kid A, and where Kid A failed this one succeeds. One of my top 4 Radiohead albums. Here's my track by track (Note: My scores are in context to the album- a 4 on here might be a 5 on a different LP- so my 10/10 is justified).
    Bloom 4.5/5
    A great opener! Like Enya meets Aphex Twin. It really captures the organic vs. electronic mood of the album, and makes you wonder why anybody would dismiss this as "lifeless ear candy".
    Morning Mr. Magpie 3.5/5
    It's a little less sonically interesting than Bloom, and meanders a little, but it's a great transitional track with a great melody line. The foreign undertones of this album are quite visible here.
    Little by Little 4/5
    A catchy/sinister return to the customs of previous Radiohead, though not the highlight of the album for me. I love the winding melody line of the chorus, and it proves that their songwriting is still up to snuff.
    Feral 4/5
    Sure it's an instrumental, but it's a darn good instrumental, and it sure doesn't feel like filler. Like chill complex dubstep. It's probably my favorite Radiohead instrumental to date.
    Lotus Flower 5/5
    A great side opener this sparkles with sexy poetry, catchy melodies and a killer beat. One of my top 20 Radiohead songs it's got you dancing just like Feral. You won't be dancing long.
    Codex 5/5
    The fun ends here. A bleak ballad in the spirit of "Videotape", it shows just how varied The King of Limbs really is. It slowly builds and in the end you're wondering "Why is Thom Yorke so sad?"
    Give up the Ghost 4.5/5
    The first acoustic instrument on the album, this is opened with a chugging acoustic guitar melody. It sounds like a campfire tune, and after the wasteland of Codex it's refreshing while quite haunting.
    Separator 4/5
    While at first it seems like a simplistic jumble of un-focused melodies, it soon evolves (in the fashion of Ideoteque) into a round-like chant. It reminds you of Bloom, and represents something of a cycle.
    Supercollider/The Butcher 5/5
    Yes, I'm counting them as one song. Yes I'm counting them at all. Because truthfully they feel like the finish, and they make i 10 songs. I like the album as it is, I just wanted to rate them.
  2. May 23, 2014
    After giving the album a good number of listens I am still not really convinced. It is enjoyable, sometimes. It is beautiful, sometimes. It does a lot of things very well. Everything sounds clear and lush, the singing by Yorke is fantastic whichever way you would look at it and the album feels like an album. But there remains something missing. In all Radiohead's previous ventures into minimalism they remained a rock band. They looked for the dynamics, for the pathos, for the pop. This is no longer there, which results in a number of songs that simply plod along doing not much at all. It is rather boring when not much is happening and it is not expected of Radiohead. Now, is this bad? Is this a reason to give a lower mark? I think so. Expand
  3. Sep 29, 2013
    Whilst I can appreciate the direction Radiohead wanted to take with rhythm-led samples and electronics. The first 4 tracks suffer a little from being just a little too quick, not allowing the listener much chance to really settle into the arrangements. Phil Selway's drums and the electronic beats seem a bit too busy. From Lotus Flower onwards at track 5 the pace slows down and the songs become more minimalistic, and I enjoyed it more, with more straight melodies. It does improve with multiple listens but it feels, to me, like a disappointment even to this day. Expand
  4. Apr 29, 2013
    I'll be honest, I liked The King Of Limbs. It's Radiohead's shortest album to date, and is the least accessible. While The King Of Limbs doesn't tune up at all to "In Rainbows" or "Kid A", it's a great record for dedicated fans. The King Of Limbs is more experimental, and more electronic than it's predecessor. While it doesn't live up to all of it's expectations, The King Of Limbs is still deep, beautiful, and sometimes catchy. Radiohead's new direction in their sound isn't mediocre, but isn't very applicable to newer listeners. Expand
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    I've waited awhile to write this review as Radiohead albums can take awhile to sink in. I have been listening to this album a lot over the last few months and it has really grown on me. It is nowhere near their strongest album but it really does have some interesting songs, they just take awhile to digest. Thom is superb on this, he really is one of the best singers around and I think it is something that is really under rated by non Radiohead fans.

I find I enjoy this more when listening with headphones.
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    I honestly don't understand the people despairing of a lack of musical hooks in this album... it's chock full of rhythm and melody. If you are after the climactic kind of noise they pulled off in earlier work, then maybe I'd understand your disappointment that is, I'd understand it if this wasn't the same band that released Kid A back in 2000. Radiohead have been a much mellower and more experimental band for more than a decade now, and they continue down the same avenue of sonic exploration here and it's awesome. The subtle guitars, the electronic wizardry, the bass, and the layers of vocals all contain a wealth of strong, beautiful intertwining melodies; the rhythm section is frequently wonderfully creative and energetic; and the whole album is brought together with a bunch of weird, schizophrenic sonic oddities which are brilliantly encapsulated by the spectral album art. The album does not feel to short; I'd much rather have an album densely packed with great tracks than something sprawling with filler like Hail to the Thief. "Good Morning Mr. Magpie", "Little By Little", "Lotus Flower", and "Give Up The Ghost" are top notch Radiohead tracks; and "Codex" may be among their very best work. I have honestly never been so moved by a song before. As long as you're not allergic to anything which isn't a rock anthem, you'll love this. Expand
  7. Feb 19, 2013
    Eerie, dark, and mysterious. This album, as a concept, is fantastic. Picture yourself in a forest, full moon seeping through the tree cover with shadows playing tricks in the corner of your eye. They are still using Pixies influenced loud/quiet dynamics as good as ever, adding layers that you can't hear through a poor quality speaker. You definately need to turn up the volume to understand what they are trying to do with the subtle stabs of jolted sounds and echoed feedback, which accounts for a stunning leveled soundscape. Simply amazing. Expand
  8. Dec 24, 2012
    I stumbled upon this album by accident. It's not one of my favourite genres, but hell, I love it!
    I don't know, something about it is really dark, which I really enjoy. It's nice and light, what with it being under 40 minutes.
    This album and Biophilia are certainly at the top of the Experimental Rock Albums of 2011.
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    It's one of their best albums to date, as always, they deliver excellent rock music with their alternative and yet unexpected sounds; not as flawed as "In Rainbows" but surely TKOL deserves its place as the best album from the 2011
  10. Oct 21, 2012
    It's rich with layering of different very intriguing sounds, and Thom Yorke is back here with some of his most stellar vocals to date, but this is one of the most repetitive albums ever... ever. Come on Radiohead. We get this thing after In Rainbows?
  11. Oct 9, 2012
    a nice sound but definitely a huge change for the band and fans of radiohead's earlier work (pablo honey, the bends) may not respond to it as positively.
  12. Sep 29, 2012
    Asides from Codex and Separator, the rest of the album is tedious. The repetitive rythms guide you nowhere. I know how many albums are growers. Kid A took me probably 4 listens, and after that, every song blowed me away. This album, however, didn't get me the same feeling.
  13. Sep 20, 2012
    Good album, but it's not their best: "Lotus Flower" is great, but many of the other songs get boring after some listenings. I hope in a better album next time!
  14. Sep 8, 2012
    An exceptional album, The King of Limbs strives to keep up with the changing times, allowing technology to lead Radiohead away from the safe sound which they have established over the years. This bold move allowed the creation of a fantastic album, whilst still retaining some original sound.
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    every time Radiohead announces release of an album, it generates a huge expectation. on the one hand, many fans expected the unlikely miracle of a second ok. computer, others accustomed to each disk in surprise radiohead expect some new element in their sound. but let's get to the king of limbs is not a masterpiece, is not ok. computer, not a the bends, no kid.a. this album is still well above the average of many bands today. That itself is a difficult album to digest. tom yorke indeed perhaps ironically with the present in the band writes in MorningMrMagpie: "you took my melody." perhaps one of the flaws of this album is that it is too short, too short. only eight songs. though there are notable as the codex piano, echoes of GiveUpTheGhost. or separator mesmerizing.
    if this is radiohead and show that despite having more than two decades can still generate noise. without creating a masterpiece, it sounds more relevant than 90% of bands today.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    I have always admired Radiohead and liked their tunes but never considered myself a massive fan. On my first listen to King of Limbs the only track that grabbed me was Lotus Flower. Suddenly found myself listening to Lotus Flower over and over again and gradually this whole album has become somewhat of an Obsession! Easily in my top 5 albums of all time.
  17. May 14, 2012
    it's kinda busy, it's really short, it's experimental, it's inaccessible, and i love it. i've heard a lot of negative reactions and criticism against this album, but it's right up there with ok computer, kid a, all hail to the thief and in rainbows for their best work.
  18. May 5, 2012
    The best album from Radiohead. Simply AMAZING. It gives you such amazing feelings. The album art is the perfect compliment to the music, which is eerie, driving, colorful, diverse, intense, and powerful all at the time. I can't get enough of this. I love it. Believe it or not, this is the album that got me into Radiohead! I love it dearly. A true gift from the best band there has ever been on earth. Expand
  19. Apr 17, 2012
    I was originally very disappointed with this but the more I listen to this the more I hear. The TKOL live from the basement recording gave me a different perspective on this record and definitely helped me enjoy it more and has just helped it scrape an 8 instead of a 7. In general, this album suffers a little from the fact that its creators are one of the great bands of the last 20 years and therefore expectations are always high. I still think 8 tracks was too short - but if your going for 8 tracks each one has to be very strong. Here we're looking at 5 top quality tracks, 2 good and 1 filler track (Feral, like Hunting Bears on Amnesiac - wouldn't touch anything else the band have done). In my opinion of course. It would have been nice if we could have got another 2 or 3 tracks, especially as the band have released a handful of other tracks on line since the albums release. The inclusion of those tracks would have made all the difference Expand
  20. Mar 27, 2012
    It's just ridiculous and pathetic to read comments comparing The King Of Limbs to Pablo Honey, The Bends or OK Computer and if you will not step out of your comfort zone to listen to the tracks then I expect any bad adjectives you will tag with to this album. The Kings Of Limbs is simply groundbreaking, unprecedented and brilliant! The end.
  21. Mar 25, 2012
    This album is something truly beautiful. I've read through comments where people are whining about "incessant beats" and a lack of melody and yes, this is not the Radiohead us die hard fans are used to. The songs start off rhythmic in the first half of the album but by the end of the thirty seven minutes have turned into a woozy sounding, peaceful and organic finale. Give Up The Ghost sounds like a peaceful death for the album... It's obvious this album from the start was made to be remixed. Kieron Hebdan fans should love this, in fact so should he! The songs hold less of a structure than previous albums, and are more layered. Although Radiohead are firmly going down the Electronica route, none of the songs are what you'd call conventional, with chewed-up drum loops of natural sounding percussion. There's a great depth to this thing. The album takes about five listens to grow on you, and even after that I can almost guarantee you won't love it in the same way you loved In Rainbows, or Hail To The Thief. There aren't many epic guitar parts by Jonny, or melodies that are the kind you'd sing along to. For me, in my mind I don't even consider it Radiohead. It's something new... A new direction from Thom Yorke and Co, and one that I thoroughly enjoy. If you don't think this lives up to Radiohead's great reputation then stop thinking of it as Radiohead. This is a band reincarnated, and that's something rather impressive for a group of men in their forties. Therefore, this song doesn't deserve to be compared to In Rainbows or any other past Radiohead album because it's a whole other sound, a whole other attitude. Let's not forget Kid A, which was mainly hated when it came out. (Coincidentally TKOL really compliments Kid A.) So to all you Radiohead fans out there, you need to take a look at your attitude to your favourite band. I get the impression from most Radiohead comments on YouTube videos that all Radiohead are 'educated', very middle class people who look down on every other genre of music. It would sicken Thom Yorke to know what kind of people followed his work, as he's often said how he believes music should be something you hear on the radio, not something you sit and drink wine to in an art gallery. I have a feeling all the higher ratings for TKOL are by fans who love the reputation more than the album. Accept it for what it is... A great little collection of songs. A snippet of a new direction. Follow me (00dore) on Twitter if you are bored and would like to hear the (very) occasional video of something any Radiohead fan should also love. Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's hardly an album like they used to consider it perfect. But it's still brilliant to hear that Thom and his unpredictable band, can do with music. Expand
  23. Dec 13, 2011
    It's not the weirdest or best thing they've put out, but it's great for repeated listens. I would rank this album amongst "Amnesiac" and "Kid A" since the electronic and atmospheric sound is similar to those albums. As far as how good it is, I'd say it's number 6 on my Radiohead album rank. There are some really good songs here like "Bloom", "Lotus Flower", "Give Up the Ghost", and my favorite track "Separator". Radiohead really know how to end an album, and how to make one. They haven't let us down yet and I don't think they possibly could. Expand
  24. Nov 27, 2011
    After 9 months of constantly listen to this album, I have to say that, it has became one of my favorite albums of all time! It's obvious that it's not that accessible like "In Rainbows" was, it will take you (probably) months of dairy listen to completely understand the beauty of "The King of Limbs".
    I'm satisfied with the lenght of the album, it's not a problem when you realize that all
    the songs contained in the album are terrificly amazing.
    I foresee that in some years, "The King of Limbs" will be praised as one of the best albums of the decade.
    P.S. Sorry for my poor English.
  25. Nov 16, 2011
    Initially, I thought this album was a huge step down from their previous effort, "In Rainbows". But then I realized: this is a band that constantly changes their style for the sake of being unique. However, although it all sounds great, it may actually be too unique. My point being, it's not really brilliant or revolutionary; it's more of what I've heard from them before, all combine. That's about all that is flawed though. This is a spectacular album overall. Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2011
    THIS IS MY FAVORITE AFTER 'OK COMPUTER' & IN 'RAINBOWS'. A very different album by Radiohead which can disappoint some and satisfy some. For me this album is another MASTERPIECE. I can listen to it hundred times and still not get bored of it. I can feel each & every second of this album. GREAT ONE !!!
  27. Oct 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For most bands, an album like TKOL would be a career high. For Radiohead, it was a friday. It's not an accessible album, like it's predecessor In Rainbows, and is sonically dense. Layers upon layers are carefully peeled back each time you listen through to slowly reveal the true heart of the songs, more of their mystery is unravelled in the accompanying remix album, and even then, months later, some tiny detail that skipped your attention will suddenly become a vital part of the song. I don't expect it to become a general favourite, but for those who are into this kind of thing it is a stunning odyssey through a forest of sonic experimentation, produced carefully enough to hear the individual leaves. Taking that metaphor even further, the album is as varied as the forest itself can be. "Bloom" emerges into a lost world of intricate rhythms and trills of melody, the strange creatures of the woods looking on as you stumble through their world. "Morning Mr Magpie" is a frantic chase through the undergrowth, antagonistic and acussatory. "Little by Little" is far out of sight of civilization, almost leaving behind those "routines and shedules, a drug that kills you" in exchange for the freedom to roam through the ancient trunks and twisted branches of its domain. "Feral" is what trees do at night when you're not looking. As the small hours of the night approach, "Lotus Flower" cavorts in secret glades under moonlight, promising all of nature's secrets. If there is indeed an "empty space inside [your] heart where the weeds take root" then this has the power to "set you free". As the moon sets, the forest lies still and there's "no one around". "Codex" is a slow introspective walk through the trees, reflecting on these secrets. Dawn approaches, and birds in the branches above flit back and forth between branches, oblivious to your presence. Here is where you "Give up the Ghost" and become part of this forest. "Separator" finally burst out from the trunks into full daylight, like waking up from a "long and vivid dream". Retreat into nature is the heart of The King of Limbs and is an interesting counterpoint to earlier albums which dealt with the isolation of life in a high speed urban world. Over the course of their career, they have left this urban paranoia, journeyed through endless suburbia, and finally emerged, free, into the forest. Radiohead sound happy on this album, specifically in closing track "Separator" where Yorke sings "If you think this is over then you're wrong" with guileless joy. Expand
  28. Oct 6, 2011
    After countless sessions of listening to The King of Limbs in the past few months, I came to the conclusion of this being one of Radiohead's weakest albums.

In order of brilliance:

5. The Bends
    6. The King of Limbs
    7. Pablo Honey
  29. Oct 3, 2011
    I cannot write this review without using the word â
  30. Aug 4, 2011
    it's good. i guess people are expecting a 'new' sound. new meaning erratic, or more shouts. but that's not wht they get. but it is good music, mesmerizingm, and is paradoxical as it may sound, consistent in delivering something new, eversince they changed their sound
  31. Jul 27, 2011
    I'm not sure what exactly the title of the album means but i'm incredibly pleased with it musically i love all of radioheads work as a band and this album seems like the perfect next step from the band after in rainbows the songs are interesting beautiful and easy to dance to although im wondering which song will be likely to become a hit seeing as how none of the songs are ballad like i like the experimental quality of the first song bloom it has a strange rhythm but the song is expertly executed good morning mr magpie has an infectious beat that has me dancing i dont like little by little but i havent really taken the time to listen to it it sounds like oasis or something feral is fantastic its another groovey track that makes me want to mimic thom yorkes dancing lotus flower is beautiful codex reminds me of a song that could have been on in rainbows and it also has a beautiful piano tune its a bit of a ballad give up the ghost is interesting and reminds me of kid a maybe? i love the last song separator. i saw them on TV preforming they look different thom looks like he hasn't had a haircut in a while although that doesn't matter the album is great and im going off to listen to it now. Expand
  32. j30
    Jul 20, 2011
    It's a good album from a great band. Probably a disappointment for fans expecting something to branch off In Rainbows. That's just how Radiohead is, they keep you on your toes. You don't know what quite to expect from them. The album will isolate fans like Kid A did (this album is not nearly as good as Kid A). I do recommend giving The Butcher and Staircase a listen, both b-sides from the album. It's unfortunate because these tracks didn't make the cut. They could have added some needed depth to the album. Also check out the King of Limbs From the Basement sessions online. It gives you an idea of how these tracks will translate live and it actually made me like the whole album better. Expand
  33. Jul 8, 2011
    It took some time to get into this album, but wow, just wow. So much brilliance, so much uniqueness, so much Radiohead. It's experimental, it's strange, it's art. Pick this up immediately and you will not be disappointed.
  34. Jun 30, 2011
    The top gets an 8 and the bottom a 10.

Sorry for the high score, Radiohead.

Sorry because I'm pretty sure the band is elated. They know they released an excellent record, meanwhile confounding many of their listeners. Thom et al. now get some respite from the artistically dangerous ass-kissing and groveling.

Thus, sorry. Your latest rocks, Radiohead.
  35. Jun 27, 2011
    Well... this album is hard to review... it isn't a masterpiece and takes a few listens to grasp the idea of it. I wasn't sure what to think of this album before it came out, but after listening to it, I am very underwhelmed. It is quite disappointing. There isn't that much to listen to on this 8 track album. No attention grabbers, no surprises, no "wow" effect. The few songs that are good are "Morning Mr. Magpie", "Lotus Flower", and "Codex". If you are a die-hard Radiohead fan, sure, take a listen and enjoy. If Radiohead is a whole new concept to you, start off with "OK Computer" or "Kid A" and slowly make it to this album. Expand
  36. Jun 23, 2011
    meh, pretty much sums it up. There are a few bright spots on this album but mostly it just bleeds into one big digital sample. I mean its radiohead, and I am a fan, so I am pleased. Just not that much. This ranks up there with Thom's solo album. Definitely not their best work.
  37. Jun 22, 2011
    After almost two decades of music from this band, I am embarrassed to say I have missed most of it. However, when I first heard 'Lotus Flower,' it instantly attracted me. It is fitting, then, that this track is the focal point of this album. I have to say that I am a bit stunned by the Radiohead 'fans' who have posted negative reactions to this album; I am not sure what they are expecting. People change and hopefully evolve, and we should expect no less from artists. This entire album is a stunning and complex beauty, clearly made from a place of confidence and maturity. I now find myself delving into the Radiohead catalogue. I haven't felt this way about music in some time; it just doesn't get much better than this. Expand
  38. Jun 11, 2011
    Thom Yorkes vocals have never been stronger than on this LP. He is simply stunning on this. What you want from a Radiohead album is for it to test you, and have an overwhelming atmosphere that takes a while to 'become one with'. I really like every song on the album, they are all well put together and structured as you'd expect from Radiohead. It has this mystic quality that I am a real big fan of. Though in the end this is just missing atmosphere, innovation and maybe a little more influence from Mr J.Greenwood. Sadly, underwhelming. Expand
  39. Jun 6, 2011
    there seems to be 2 opposing sides to this album. 1. "like the bends, this is crap" 2."i think other people dont understand art, this is genius" im here to represent side three i like ALL radiohead albums. i get the strange ones well enough amnesiac is probably my favourite one!!! its jawdropping after that being said.. this is quite a poor effort.. u cant compare this one seriously to any radiohead album and say this is better! excluding pablo honey of course...
    but its probably the same level as pablo honey.. albeit being utterly different
    its dull, too minimalist. uneventfull. and half of the songs are not new at all!
    it sounds like radiohead are at the end of their creativity... im sorry. but its true
  40. Jun 3, 2011
    I was unsure what to expect from this album; after all, it was pretty much four years after their magnum opus, In Rainbows. Although this album does not have the same overall coherence that its predecessor does, it is a good batch of tunes that showcase well the band's continuing focus on nuance and layering. The first listen was surprising, but not overly wonderful; it's still only been a few months since its release, but already the album has grown on me. It seems as if the songs are either a combination of In Rainbows and Kid A, or In Rainbows and Hail to the Thief. All in all, I think that they are continuing to produce very subtly satisfying and increasingly beat-oriented music. I do not, however, wish, or think I can stand, waiting another four years, simply for eight songs. I love the album, but I expected more, honestly. Expand
  41. Jun 2, 2011
    Of all the Radiohead albums, King of Limbs feels the least Radiohead-like since Pablo Honey, but it's still a great list of tracks. Bloom - Radiohead also knows how to start and end an album. Bloom definitely lives up to an expectation you may have. Lovely vocals, of course. 8/10.
    Morning Mr. Magpie - It took me two listens, but definitely a fulfilling track once you get the hang of it. An
    incredible revamped version of the b-side "Morning Me Lord." 8/10
    Little By Little - Nice to listen to every once in a while, but there's something about Yorke's falsetto singing "Little by Little," that both intrigues me and annoys me. 7/10
    Feral - Amazing mix. Very dark-gray sounding. Love it! It sort of feels like Yorke's supplemented intermission form his vocals in the record. 8/10
    Lotus Flower - The single, and definitely one of the highlights of the record. An amazing structure. 10/10.
    Codex - The slowest song on the album, but it's an instant classic. Very dark, dramatic. I always visualize a man standing on top of the grand canyon at sun set jumping into a clear-blue lake (very much like the lyrics describing of course). 9/10
    Give Up the Ghost - I became so used to the live recording of this song, that it took me a few listens to understand what Thom Yorke was really trying to do on stage. I honestly prefer the live version, but this track lives up to it. 9/10
    Separator - Like Lotus Flower, an extremely addictive song to listen to. Radiohead always knows how to end an album, and this track feels like an open-ended interpretation of the conclusion. Amazing! "If you think this over, then you're wrong," rung in my head for weeks after listening to this the first few times. 10/10.
  42. Jun 1, 2011
    The King Of Limbs was a bit disappointing the first listen. But I gradually picked up on it a few listens later. I'm not saying this album is a masterpiece like most other Radiohead albums, because it Isn't, but it is nevertheless a good album. It has a few really great tracks and a few not so great. The opener "Bloom" is a not so great song but songs like "Lotus Flower" is a Radiohead masterpiece. It's an album you'll either love it or hate it. I personally think Radiohead could've done so much better. It's still a good album though. B Expand
  43. May 25, 2011
    It seems empty at first, but everything's there, Radiohead just makes you find it. Admittedly, I did miss Johnny on this record.
  44. May 22, 2011
    It always feel like an eternity waiting for the next Radiohead album. One of my favorite bands in the last 10 years. Upon listening to this album, I'm sad to report the wait was not worth it. Sometimes albums from them like Kid A, Amnesiac, ect. Take several listens, and eventually I love them. I fear this album will never grow on me. As most people have said this has got to be more of a solo effort then one coming from a great band. Some great ideas half baked like Lotus Flower. Oh well they can't all be gold. Expand
  45. May 18, 2011
    This is a fine album, that continues the expected work that they were doing after hail to the thief, and back to that similar line after going somewhere off to the more sentimental side with in rainbows.
    I don't actually understand or comprehend most the criticisms made- no, sorry i do, the reviewers seem to have their head up their pretensious arses. such as saying thom is the only
    musician, or its eraser mark two can only really be answered with 'are you deaf'? there is no other response to that because its clearly not. The eraser even had radiohead members on most the tracks.
    That it fails to rock, is an idea ten years in the past before kid a. and anyone describing it as minimalistic or avante-garde it seems has never listened to either of those genres. .. its simply not...
    sorry i had to defend negative ignorant criticism rather than marking the positives.
    i gave it a 9 because its very occasionally dissonant in harmonies, although that is part of the structure.
    and that it lacks by only a few strokes a radiohead signature of the melancholy and sentimental song that seem to be loved by inrainbows and okc lovers.
    a strange gothic and pagan work, a masterpiece? unsure about that i don't tend to put anything on a pedestal, to be let down. perhaps that#s the problem- that some expected a master piece sensation and instead just got a very good album that lasts for only the listening experience of the album length and doesn't try to be anything more.
  46. May 14, 2011
    Been a fan for over 15 years now, my favorite albums are Kid A, Hail to the Thief, and I loved The Eraser.
    I had to give this album some points because I love Yorke's voice no matter what music is under it, also there were a few good songs, however, the good songs from this album would be the mediocre songs on any other album in my opinion. For the most part, to me, the album is pretty
    bland... too minimalistic, slow, not much in the way of melodies, and personally I like Radiohead to rock out every once in a while on their albums. I'm a die-hard fan like anyone else, but I have no problem admitting when a worshipped band's new album isn't up to par, even when that bands name is Radiohead, due to Thom Yorke and a few of the songs this album is just barely "ok". Expand
  47. May 6, 2011
    Bloom, Lotus Flower, Codex, Separator, all good songs. The others, not just as good.
    I see The King of Limbs as a fine tuning of what Radiohead began with Kid A and Amnesiac, and although it has some of the most interesting chords and melodies, it just seems to be lacking something.
    Bloom's opening minute is the best by far, with amazing lyrics
    Morning Mr Magpie is okay, but nothing
    particularly significant
    Little By Little contains a great piece of music at 2:21, but apart from that, average
    Feral can get boring, I would prefer it much more if I could actually hear lyrics from Thom Yorke
    Lotus Flower is a very well written song, but maybe just off single material
    Codex is one of the best songs from this album, with an almost restrained feel to it
    Give Up The Ghost is quite good, but not Radiohead's best from this album
    Separator is a completely different story. The first half is good, but it is the second half which really defines this song. An amazing ending to the album.
    On another note, if you enjoy The King of Limbs, I recommend their B-sides Supercollider and The Butcher.
  48. May 2, 2011
    A quirky album, to be sure, more in the vein of "Amnesiac" than "In Rainbows". This isn't "Eraser 2" as many has tried to compare it to: it has much more warmth and you can hear the group dynamic that was almost completely missing from Yorke's solo effort. I was a bit disappointed with the album's brief length, but there still a lot of good music here, particularly "Lotus Flower" "Codex" and "Give Up The Ghost" for me. Those looking for another album like In Rainbows will certainly be disappointed, as we see a return to the more distant and electronic sound of "Hail To The Thief" here. Expand
  49. Apr 25, 2011
    This ones a grower. Let it happen people; don't judge it immediately based off reviews and what your friends told you. Don't let the hipster **** grow through your ears, and keep you from developing your own idea. I feel sonic walls of sound and a transy, melodic vibe. I feel good rhythms, good ideas, twisting lyrics. Thom hasn't gotten any older; any greyer in my ears. It just feels softer. sandy. a little opaque. But then again, this album wasn't meant to please a human being. This album was released to please Radiohead. I'm proud to be able to find the vibe coming off of this album- once again, it's something that you find yourself. But once you catch it, it frees you from being one of the miserable suckers slagging this album because of all it lacks, rather than what it has given off in order to find that perfect balance of lack. And if you question my choice of description, just know that I am talking with the feel of the words, rather than the words themselves. Expand
  50. Apr 11, 2011
    When I get asked ''what is your favorite band?'',I immediately think Radiohead! I make it a day event when Radiohead releases something new (not really but I get very excited)... So this new album (sigh)... It's not that good. It feels like an EP, as if the band was trying to go somewhere but hasn't gotten there yet. This album is a sort of report of the progress, the direction and current location that the band is taking. Its a transition album I think. I didn't like it that much... sadly but I am very happy that this is the direction the band is taking, and If my hopes are right.... The next album is going to be great. This experiment just didn't cut it. Expand
  51. Apr 10, 2011
    I expected more from Radiohead after the brilliant In Rainbows. This new album is a return to the sheer weirdness of Kid A and Amnesiac. It has interesting moments and their wish to experiment is laudable but the album sounds too cold and distant.
  52. Apr 9, 2011
    The King of Limbs, after over a month of listening, continues to grow on me. I'm a fan of Radiohead's new direction and with each release I am liking their style more and more. The satisfaction in King of Limbs comes from it's dissection - the more I listen to it and hear things I haven't heard before, or hear things in a new way, the more I realize just how amazing this album is. Containing only 8 songs, The King of Limbs is short - but it's so, so sweet. Expand
  53. Apr 8, 2011
    I'm still waiting for a Radiohead album I can listen to in it's entirety without getting bored. King of Limbs is not that album. I can appreciate that the band wants to be non-commercial and experimental, but that doesn't really translate into easy listening.
    The first few songs are tolerable, listenable, but with the exception of Lotus Flower none of it really moves me
  54. Apr 7, 2011
    Radiohead's creative process on this infuriatingly anemic album: 1. Have our fans liked this before? If yes, cut it. 2. Melody has to be either terrible or absent on at least half the album. 3. It should sound like a single, kind of like Airbag, but without any single. Just B-sides. 4. The average number of band members present on any given song should be 1.6, and drummer-boy doesn't even need to show up since we're going to digitize it. 5. Speaking of digital, we can put half the songs on repeat after 8 seconds of taps and ticks. 6. Taps and ticks are still awesome, even though we were talking in that language years ago. 7. Whereas 'Kid A' sounded like it was 10 years ahead of its time, this should sound like the filler we deleted from 'Kid A'. 8. Love the "Don't hurt me / Don't haunt me" part. Let's put it on repeat so the song sounds less beautiful sooner. 9. We usually close an album with a killer song. Let's stop that. 10. Oh good call. Let's stop making killer songs altogether. This is audio anorexia! Expand
  55. Apr 5, 2011
    Radiohead keeps moving farther and farther away from mainstream music, but in my opinion they went a little too far this time. Its hard to find a chorus never mind something you can hum along to. In fact its hard to determine when they are even mumbling about because the instruments are too loud. As a causul fan The King of Limbs is a disappointment.
  56. Apr 4, 2011
    After a slow slow from OK Computer, one of the great albums of all time, I thought Radiohead got back on track with Rainbows. Unfortunately, the slide has turned into a dull head over heals tumble. This album is a soulless dirge. I never thought I'd say this of a Radiohead album, but I hated this album.
  57. Apr 2, 2011
    The King of Limbs mustn't be judged yet. It is too soon to say this album doesn't live up to Radiohead's standards. I have foolishly done this too many times with their albums (kid a, hail to the thief, and amnesiac), to realize that Radiohead just know a little bit more about music than I do and that I need to have faith in such intelligent folk. Radiohead are the type of band to only release material they love, which is enough for me. So far I would say the album is only great. However, I'm pretty certain that one day I will appreciate it as only brilliant. Zippychimp, please don't write Radiohead reviews. You're obviously against the notion of bands ever evolving, so just stay in your comfort zone with creep and fake plastic trees, at least it's no Beiber. Expand
  58. Apr 2, 2011
    Being relatively new to Radiohead, but still a massive fan, this was the first Radiohead album that I purchased on the release date. For the most part I had great expectations, especially after the apparent return to form that the band boasted on "In Rainbows."
    The release of this album was shrouded in the sort of mystery and hype that only Radiohead can create, with their legions of
    dedicated fans crouched expectantly over Mac's all over the world. The cynic in me says that releasing "The King Of Limbs" a day early was merely a clever publicity stunt, albeit one that appeared to work.
    Initial impressions of TKOL were of dissapointment. Where were the guitars? Where was the energy? Where the hell were the rest of the band? "Bloom" appears to merely be a continuity of Thom Yorke's solo career. Whilst this is not neccesarily a bad thing, this is a Radiohead album, and therefore more surely must have been expected from the opening track. "Morning Mr Magpie" is much of the same, and things don't really get going until "Little By Little", which sees Radiohead become more of a band, if not a fully fledged. This is built on in "Lotus Flower", which is really the new Radiohead material that many have been waiting for. Whilst many have written of "Codex" as a "Pyramid Song mk II", it is undeniably the standout track. It creates a mood that many songwriters would (excuse the pun) sever one of their linbs to be able to recreate. To summarize, this record sounds like two different bands. One of them is Radiohead, and one of them is trying too hard.
  59. Mar 31, 2011
    A little disappointing. Short - only 37 minutes. The "skipping record" drum track is wearing a little thin. This album does not rock. Hoping it grows on me like most of the other albums did.
  60. Mar 30, 2011
    Mellow, murky, introspective, beautiful; can another singer/songwriter slide with such ease in and out of his falsetto? Yorke's voice is just hauntingly superb on this album, and that's my favorite aspect of "The King of Limbs." Although there is not a song I dislike, my immediate favorites are "Give up the Ghost" and "Separator"
  61. Mar 27, 2011
    Extremely disappointing IMO. Separator is a great song and by far superior to any of the others songs. I'm a big fan of just about everything they have created, but most of the album sounds like leftovers from In-Rainbows.
  62. Mar 23, 2011
    This is one of Radiohead's most masterfully realized albums. Along with Kid A, OK Computer, and In Rainbows - The King of Limbs creates a beautiful cohesive world to get lost in over and over again. In terms of both song craft and production, the album sizzles and awards the careful listener greatly. Highly recommended.
  63. Mar 22, 2011
    I have found over the years that the best approach to any new Radiohead album is to preclude any expectations whatsoever from your thoughts when donning the headphones for that first listen. I stuck with that approach for "The King of Limbs". For those who have rated this album as less than 7, all I can assume is that your sound system is lacking or that you need better headphones. Part of the appeal of the music created by this genius band is that they send you sauntering around acoustic vistas which they have seamlessly painted, which are spotted by the occasional bizarre and beautiful creature. Layers of juxtapose, incongruous sounds melt into clouds of melody, lifting one higher into sonic bliss, assisted by intelligent yet sensuous beats. The only thing keeping this album from being a 9 or 10 in my mind is a certain lack of sheer emotion tasted in other Radiohead albums. Or maybe I just haven't listened enough yet. Either way, I'm completely satisfied with this album and am anxiously awaiting my 10" vinyl. :) Expand
  64. Mar 21, 2011
    Unfortunately, "The King Of Limbs" leaves one wondering where the level of developmental inspiration got lost. Thom Yorke and company have enough positive credit in the bank to get away with this half hearted effort, which in forthcoming years will be acquainted alongside "Pablo Honey" in the list of top Radiohead long players. http://hackskeptic.com
  65. Mar 18, 2011
    This album is so bad its unlistenable. Once is enough for me and i love Radiohead but then again, i dont listen to KId A either. Crap is crap people. If its good i will come back for more. Until then im donating this CD to the salvation army for some poor unsuspecting punter to try and figure out what the hell is going on through his headphones.
  66. Mar 17, 2011
    The thing with Radiohead is that their albums differ so much that some fans only like select albums. But, what we all should realize is that ALL of their albums are musically and technically fantastic, no matter if we like them or not. I prefer The Bends acoustic sound, while some like Kid A for its glithcy-electronic sound. This is a Kid A type of album.
  67. Mar 14, 2011
    Radiohead are putting out music on their terms these days. 8 songs and 37 minutes is a bit short, but each song's content makes up for it. Its pretty hard to find any band willing to take so many genre shifting leaps within an album and do them all at a high level. Nothing is new or groundbreakingly amazing, but it all soothes my palate for solid music worth listening to. Song-by-song breakdown @ http://groundedinsound.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/radiohead-the-king-of-limbs-early-review/ Expand
  68. Mar 12, 2011
    When you can say the biggest problem with an album is that it is too short you know you have a keeper. TKOL represents Radiohead at their most adventurous with fantastic drum beats throughout. Personally the first half is my favorite when they didn't sprinkle much melody in the music but still there is no denying the power of Codex or Give Up the Ghost.
  69. Mar 10, 2011
    Ok, Look, This record sucks and I love Radiohead, I loved In Rainbows, Kid A, Ok Comp and even Amnesiac & Hail to the thief had it's moments. I didn't care for Pablo Honey but's that's the only one until now. This sounds like a delux edition Amnesiac with 8 bonus never released tracks. I promise & I mean promise 97% of you will NOT be listening to this say 2 or more months from and not a damn one of are going to put this even near the top of your Favorite RH records. This seems like a Thom only record with a few helping hands from the rest of the band. What a shame. Expand
  70. Mar 9, 2011
    As a fan of Radiohead, I think this album sits between Amnesiac and Thom York's solo album The Eraser. I think it will be hard for new fans to embrace this as much as they could other albums, including In Rainbows. But still, they never disappoint. I hope through their download ventures we continue to get a steady flow of production from them.
  71. Mar 5, 2011
    It's definitely solid, but I'm afraid King Of Limbs doesn't have the same wow-factor that In Rainbows, Kid A, OK Computer et al brought with them; it's exactly what we've come to expect from Radiohead and, even worse, where once they pioneered new trends and ideas in the music world they seem to have run out of originality here and are instead pillaging the recent dubstep/glitch trends of the likes of FlyLo and Jon Hopkins. However, the songs are very good I have to admit, particularly Lotus Flower; Give Up The Ghost and Separator are both standouts too; and while the first half is easily the more 'difficult', it's also the most profoundly growing (Morning Mr Magpie is becoming a clear favourite for me). But my problem is the lack of that one song that really makes me go, Wow, they've done it again, the one that stays with me for years. Fake Plastic Trees, Exit Music, How To Disappear Completely, Pyramid Song, There There, Nude. King Of Limbs has nothing to follow that string of greats, and for that reason it will always seem a lesser album to me, because even though the overall quality of Hail To The Thief and Amnesiac is less they are at least redeemed by the offerings that really rise above the pack. I love Radiohead, but I wish they'd had the courage to do something more original and less (seemingly) intentionally provocative - maybe next time. Expand
  72. Mar 4, 2011
    I'm surprised so many people like this album. It doesn't sound like it was made or recorded as (or even by) a full band. Fragmented ideas layered together by somewhat interesting rhythms but unfortunately lacking in all other areas, especially in melody. They can't all be gems I suppose.
  73. Mar 4, 2011
    Ok, guys, where's the real album you've kept so many of us waiting for many years??? In a couple of months, you'll release the innovative, mind bending, musical masterpiece and this whole "King of Limbs" business will just be a prank played on devoted listeners, right? Please tell me this underachieving pile of musical and lyrical mediocrity (mediocre for Radiohead) is just a mirage in the shape of a Fourtet of Flying Lotuses. Anyone who rates this a 10 is putting this album up with their best. Please don't do that. Expand
  74. Mar 3, 2011
    Any one who gives this below a 3 is simply doing so because they hate the idea of radiohead, and anyone giving it above a 8 or 9 or so is doing it because they love the idea of radiohead. a solid, short, sweet radiohead gem. on the scale of all albums ever released, yeah it's no star, but "lotus flower", "seperator", and "little by little" are just genuinly good songs. they are groovy, among radioheads more melodic works, and have that otherworldness you come to expect from radiohead. toss aside your previous biases about radiohead (and we ALL have them, whether good or bad) and just listen. it's a pleasurable piece of work =) Expand
  75. Mar 3, 2011
    AWFUL Album!!! For a band called by critics revolutionary, Radiohead became very repetitive in the last 4 records. Any review of this new album could be used for the previews ones. The drum-n-beat is the same. The dark mood is the same. The lack of creativity is the same. For a band that gave us "The Bends", "OK Computer" and "Amnesiac", this album is extremely disapointing and must be inserted as a b-sides collection. If a had a chance to tell them I will say "It´s time to renovate or Radiohead will be live in the shadows of the past". Expand
  76. Mar 1, 2011
    Insanely delicious album. Loved "Little by Little." Everything is so eerily good. It does sound a bit more electronic then their other albums, but nevertheless, Radiohead makes it work.
  77. Feb 26, 2011
    So it is not as good as In Rainbows. This much is true. However, it is one really good Radiohead album once again. The second half of the album is brilliant. My favorite and standout is "Codex" where a simple piano distortion and Yorke's vocals hit a desolate melancholy. "No one gets hurt/No one around" Great stuff. The album is short,yet it is an album that you can throw on without investing too much (at like 38 min) No earth shattering stuff here but a very solid effort. If you got 8 really good songs why not just cut the crap and make that an album? Expand
  78. Feb 26, 2011
    If there was ever an album that was created to cure insomnia, this would be it. A soulless effort from a band that has so many talents, too bad it was wasted on incessant beats. A great disappointment.
  79. Feb 26, 2011
    On first listen I quite enjoyed this album. However, it really doesn't hold up well on repeated listens. What i shocking for me that there is really only one track- Codex - that induces or even attempts to induce a strong EMOTIONAL response from the listener. This from the band that gave as the emotional tour de forces of OK Computer, The Bends, and even Kid A/In Rainbows.

I give it
    four stars as I can appreciate the technical elements of the music. And there are some interesting sounds and rhythmic structures going on in some of the songs. But art such as this, that elicits purely an intellectual response, is not really art at all. I like the Radiohead that writes music that makes you feel alive with anger, sadness or even hope. This doesn't need to "safe" music. No surprises, Paranoid Android, Lucky etc, were not safe, unoriginal songs. But they were great songs. Nothing on here compares. Expand
  80. Feb 26, 2011
    A slow burner but ultimately satisfying. "Separator" and "Codex" sublime. This is supposed to be 150 characters long .....blah..... blah...... blah....... blah.........
  81. Feb 26, 2011
    The King of Limbs is an album in which Radiohead depends on you, the listener, to have followed them down the rabbit hole of sonic experimentation, where they have taken residence ever since the release of Kid A. If you have not kept up with them, or haven't listened to anything other than Ok Computer or The Bends, do not listen to this album. It will not make sense to you. In many ways, this album picks up exactly where they left off. Very similar effect and guitar tones, odd rhythms and nearly impossible to understand lyrics sung from a falsetto Yorke. It is very easy to think that this album, for the first time, is more of the same from Radiohead. But well I don't think it's a complete reinvention of themselves, it certainly is the other side of the sound they created during the In Rainbows sessions.
    Think of it like this: if music is an army, and you, the listener, are a fortress, In Rainbows and The King of Limbs are two different strategies for the same army to take you down. In Rainbows saw the front gates, organized, and charged you down. The King of Limbs, however, surrounds you, cuts off your food supply, and waits for you to go out and attack it.
    Let me explain: In Rainbows was catchy, it had a driving beat, you could hear the guitars front and center doing interesting things. Without trying too hard, even if you just have the CD playing in the background, something will catch your ear, and you will like it. With the King of Limbs, this is not the case at all. If you don't actively engage the music as you're listening to it, you won't like it.
    Radiohead has the spotlight, they are one of the largest and most discussed bands on the planet. They do not need to demand your attention anymore, they have it. They know that no matter what they put out, you will buy it, and listen to it over and over until you've had enough. One way or another, you will get this CD, and you will listen to it, over, and over, and over.

Before you think it's cold, and heartless music by name only, listen closely. There's beauty there. Find it.
  82. Feb 26, 2011
    To me this album represents Radiohead's courage and strength through all of their music. I think it is simply, strangely and utterly beautiful, sounds like a mix of In Rainbows, Kid A, and Yorke's solo stuff. Really loving codex, it brings you into the moment. 2nd half of the album is better than the 1st.
  83. wjw
    Feb 25, 2011
    Kraftwerk meets Fleet Foxes. Seriously, though the album is short in duration (It's why I scored it a 9 and not a10--I WANT MORE!), this is a sublime work of sonic modern art. Unlike many great albums that seem, at first listen, similarly unapproachable (Trout Mask Replica), this album is just plain beautiful in every aspect of its layered and impressionistic soundscape. And, as a value, a few hundred albums of lower scores versus this gem, I'll take this gem. One more thing to note might be that its brevity might be its saving grace (justifying a 10), since it would be that much more addictive a listen were it to contain a number of other gracefuly and thoughtfully crafted compositions, but then again, I'm already addicted, and can't shake off this sonic crack. Well, anyway, though this album may not seem so melodic in such an immediate way, I can't take certain songs out of my mind. For those who might be adamantly, and in some cases, hysterically, opposed to any favorable assessment--aesthetic or otherwise--of this album, I can't help, you. I'll I can say to you is, "don't hurt me," as I am already haunted by this album. Expand
  84. Feb 25, 2011
    It seems to me that everyone expects every new Radiohead release to be the most groundbreaking album ever. That's the level the group are at. But every album that does fall short of 'a modern classic' status is still better than 95% of the average dross that is out there at the minute. It's a Radiohead album. Which means that once again it's different, challenging and thoroughly enjoyable. Especially to anyone who is sick of what passes for 'music' nowadays. Expand
  85. Feb 25, 2011
    Nausea-inducing trash that people force themselves like just because its radiohead. This is yet another step in the wrong direction for band that was evolving quite well up until the last few albums. I've already seen some people who genuinely hated this album after first listen, but have slowly but surely changed their minds based on critics' overrating of this album.
  86. Feb 25, 2011
    I actually believe this is a complete album, despite the rumors that there's a 'part 2' on the way. Yes, it's short, but it feels complete to me. The first half of the album is dense and complicated, and then it breaks free into a second half that is beautiful and liberating. "Separator" is, in my opinion, the most emotionally satisfying closer Radiohead have pulled off since "The Tourist" from OK Computer. Expand
  87. Feb 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A solid effort, which is weird coming from Radiohead. I'm used to being blown away by this band, and this time it didn't happen. At first, I hated this album. The I've listened to it more, gave it a chance and now I just like it. Lotus Flower is a fantastic song, and so is Morning Mr. Magpie. This isn't a rock album by any means of the word, it's an electronica album, and you can have to accept it, and in my opinion that's what keeps it from becoming a great album. It doesn't seem like a complete effort from the whole album. Seems like it should be York's second solo album. They have 3 great guitarists and there's hardly any guitar used in it. The computerized drumming is just repulsive, and so is some of the other electronic effects used on the album. I wishing for something different, but instead I got this; a so-so album from one of the best bands in the last two decades. Expand
  88. Feb 24, 2011
    Another classic by Radiohead. Simply the best band ever. Nobody has or ever will come close to their creative genius. From Bloom to Separator, every track on this album is a classic. Too bad the whole thing is so short.
  89. Feb 24, 2011
    It was difficult to see how Radiohead could improve on In Rainbows and they have done the sensible thing and moved in a different direction. Parts feel more experimental and more sparse than previous efforts. Bloom and Feral are for biggest change in the sound and for me the weakest part - layered electronica, looped, tinny, slightly harsh sounding ...this is no doubt the sound they were going for - I don't care for it, the later half of the album is mellower and has more organic sound which I prefer. I hope the later half is the way they move forward with their next offering, I recall Thom once saying OK Computer was their attempt at Endtroducing by DJ SHADOW, this again feels again like an attempt at that. To a Radiohead fan I would recommend this, to a newbie I would recommend the back catalogue. Expand
  90. Feb 24, 2011
    Slightly melancholy and insightful with interesting hooks (yes, I think there are hooks). If you aren't into melancholy/interesting, you will be disappointed. You'll also be disappointed if you expect Radiohead to make your favorite Radiohead album again. Their albums each have a distinct personality, and this is no exception; in this case, the personality might rub you the wrong way, and that's okay. The more I listen carefully to the tracks the more I appreciate this album's personality. Expand
  91. Feb 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The King Of Limbs is one of the best albums of radiohead. Better than In Rainbows, and more expermiental than ever, they come back for give us a excellent albums. I can say it without any problems: RADIOHEAD IS BETTER THAN EVER. Expand
  92. Feb 23, 2011
    I have every Radiohead album and this is easily the most disappointing. I guess I'm a fan of their earlier stuff because I miss the sound of Pablo Honey, OK Computer and The Bends. Everything after the first three became very unemotional and lifeless to me. I hate wasting money on music I can't even enjoy listening to.
  93. Feb 23, 2011
    The problem that most 20 year old bands have is continuing to make new and interesting music. Radiohead does not have this problem. Though this album is not their best, it is still unique and beautiful. The King of Limbs is most importantly pointing them in a new direction.
  94. Feb 23, 2011
    first of all, ignore any reviews that were written during within the first few days of its release. it is useless, careless, and offensive of you to think you can digest any radiohead album in such a short span of time as they require many, many listens in a variety of moods, times of day, situations, listening devices, etc. having done that myself, and considering myself a pretty devoted radiohead fan, i have come to the conclusion that, while certainly not their best album, it is a beautiful and unique statement from a band that somehow seems to make beautiful and unique albums every time. it's another radiohead album. Expand
  95. Feb 23, 2011
    Another slow-burning masterpiece from Radiohead! It blend the introverted world of Amnesiac with the softness of In Rainbows, and wisely does not outstay its welcome. However, it takes a few listens to fully grasp the sleepy mood of the album, which is much groovier and more patient than its predecessor In Rainbows. I personally can't stop listening to it and I become more impressed each time! This album is more than worth the $9.00 I paid for it. :) Expand
  96. Feb 23, 2011
    To be quite frank, this album doesn't deserve the scores its getting. The only reason it's getting such high scores is because of the name the band has. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the band. My favorite albums easily include OK Computer and The Bends. But honestly, this album is pretty much crap. The first seconds of Bloom was interesting and melodic, but that's where all the good stuff ended. The rest of the album is filled with hipster experimental electronica, and stupidly mumbled vocals such as "Good Morning Mr. Magpie, how are we today." There's no soul, no melody, no groove, no feeling or emotion. Someone hipster might say "you don't get the music man" but trust me: I do. This is easily Radiohead's worst album. If another band besides Radiohead came out with the same exact album, it would get much lower ratings, and thats the truth. Collapse
  97. Feb 23, 2011
    Probably the bands most elusive record to date. I was not disappointed and find myself strangely drawn to it. I've listened to it more times in the first few days then any other Radiohead album. I found it most similar to Amnesiac, but it really is quite different than anything else they've released. To me the vocals were most interesting and immediately stood out, and Thom dominates on many of the tracks. I can see why people are comparing it to his solo work in that sense, but this album is much better than Eraser.

The music and vocals are densely layered and the album feels more like a single soundscape rather than a collection of songs. It meanders along, draws you in slowly, and keeps you coming back for more. There is really a lot here to digest and some songs sounded completely different to me after repeated listens. On that note, it's difficult to pick standout tracks. I think I like Morning Mr. Magpie and Give Up the Ghost best, but that could easily change in the next few days.

1. Dec 14, 2011
    There's just incredible depth to The King Of Limbs, and if you're impatient, you'll miss it.
  2. May 24, 2011
    It's been a long time since Radiohead made records with an eye toward anything more than satisfying the band's own creative impulses, if it ever did. Those who are prepared to stick it out, though, may well find The King of Limbs worth the wait.
  3. May 16, 2011
    They've delivered their biggest surprise to date. A record that falls short for its constituent parts. [May 2011, p.100]