Review this album
Mar 23, 2012A very good overall album, especially considering there are 18 songs and only about 3 to 4 songs you'd want to skip. Odd Future's rapping skills have improved dramatically. Its a very diverse album, from the first song being sort of a rap battle with Hodgy Beats and Domo Genesis with a nice beat, to songs like "White" and "Analog 2" that break up the pace. (In a good way) . Like I said, whats great about the album is that the songs are very diverse, and most of the songs are great. Each members rapping is way beyond anything they've put out before, and the beats on these tracks are crazy good. A definite buy if you are an Odd Future fan, and definitely one you should take a look at if you are a hip hop fan in general.… Expand
Apr 1, 2012Wow. So proud of this record and have been waiting on it for a while. Not dissapointed at all. Odd Future cant seem to release anything bad. Highlights are Ned Flander, Forest Green, Analog 2 (Tyler sings at the end), White and Oldie... Every song is amazing though so give it a listen!
Aug 6, 2012I was an Odd Future fan before the big blow up, but still anticipated every release after Tyler's "Yonkers" hit. I became happy for them and was very proud to be a fan of something so unique and original. Once I heard this mixtape; they lost a fan. This piece of garbage is embarrassing. I am frankly ashamed to see people saying this was good. I've heard better production in metalcore songs. Tyler and his crew have let the fame get to their head and are releasing pieces of garbage to the public, in exchange for petty money. Tisk tisk.… Expand
Mar 23, 2012Are you a fan of OFWGKTA? Then prepare to be impressed. Tyler and the gang have become much more musically proficient, as their beats sound a lot more thought out and their lyrics still as slick and clever as ever. Tyler sure seems to have something going on with Jerry Sandusky in this album ;). Highlights of the album are: NY (Ned Flander), 50, Snow White, Rella, P, Oldie. But the whole album/mixtape is badass!… Expand
Mar 31, 2012It seems that OF's new-found maturity reaps rewards. On this record, they don't seem afraid to go "adult", with songs like "White" and "Analog 2" matching excellent production with post-pubescent R&B. But don't you worry, fans of stupidity, Tyler has a track with Jasper and Taco. Much like Goblin's **** Suck Dick", "We Got ****es" is fuelled by light-hearted misogynistic rhymes; although, Tyler's production on this song is top drawer. The production is the a highlight of the album; along with Domo Genesis and Hodgy Beats. They run the show from start to end. Earl has a exceptional verse on "Oldie"; his presence was not sorely missed, but the album could have been near-perfect with him playing a larger role. Maybe Vol. 3?… Expand
Apr 4, 2012At first sight seem crazy, but if you listen to their songs then you will understand that they have talent. The album oozes talent from all sides, although this may be dispersed as they are too exhilarating in their work. There are many good tracks on this album, for example, "Forest Green" by Mike G, "Rella" and "We Got Bitches". Tracks such as "Analog 2" or "Hcapd" are not good and the whole album suffers. The production of Tyler, The Creator is as usual fantastic and creative, while Left Brain could do better. The work is subtle yet seen the talent in the field the result could be 10 times better.… Expand
Mar 26, 2012I've been a fan since tyler's bastard and I'm thoroughly impressed by this album. I have no clue how people who aren't familiar with the music will receive it but I'm positive that odd future fans will not be disappointed. The last song 'Oldie' is one of my new favorite songs and in my opinion will be one of the best rap songs of 2012. Every single member in odd future has improved as artists and I can't wait for the rest of their long careers.… Expand
Mar 24, 2012This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Odd Future's new tape isn't exactly the best representation of the skill the collective has. It's a mixture of sounds that are either grand and trash. To begin with, I think Hodgy Beats makes a really great impression on this tape. He just has a dope and likable flow. He proves that on "Lean", "P", and "Snow White." The first track after the intro however, is ruined by some truly annoying production. Hodgy and Domo spit over some god awful synth-like sound on that one. Thankfully, "NY" is dope enough to keep listening. "Forest Green" has a nice beat but Mike G is really just a mediocre rapper. Frank is kind of disappointing in this tape, singing lines that are out of place and never really singing anything noteworthy. Syd delivers some ODD trash, but still trash. The tape has some plain and dull drums sometimes like on "Analog 2." Yet sometimes, it's dope as **** like "Rella." So the production is really as mixed as the rappers in OF. You can pretty much blame Left Brain for the on-off production. Domo does his thing which is surprisingly pretty good throughout. The most disappointing track is probably the Tyler-Taco-Jasper track. Listen to "Tina" from Bastard, now listen to "We Got Bitches." Can you actually say you enjoy WGB as much as Tina? I mean, I know Taco and Jasper aren't rappers but regardless, there is no reason Odd Future should sound anything like a waka ****in flocka flame wannabe. It's like they ACTUALLY tried to be good on that track. Where's the humor? That brings me to Tyler. Tyler spat some pretty decent lines,sometimes in a comedic way, although nothing anywhere close to what he would rap if he was alone in a dark room. That's what sucks about Tyler, his complexity is absent once he has company. However, that's why Earl is such an outstanding rapper. Earl, regardless of how sub-par some of his friends are rapping, continues to do his high-vocabulary-dope-as-**** lyricism he had before leaving to Somalia. It's a shame he only showed up in "Oldie." In the end, the tape never really sounds unified. It sounds like Hodgy, Tyler and Domo just got in a room to record...and the rest of the members added what they could to that. I mean, Mike G's only track was recycled from an earlier tape for Satan's sake. So in all honesty, if you want to hear something that proves the talent of Odd Future...Go listen to "Radical."… Expand
Mar 29, 2012This is arguably Odd Future's most accesible album, but that doesn't mean that they've toned down much, if at all. Overall this is a very solid album, and if you're a fan of Odd Future in any way you'll probably enjoy it. One thing that really stands out to me is how much they're improved at rapping. In the past if Tyler or Earl weren't on a song, chances were that song wasn't all that great. Tyler is still the dominant force in this group, and on this album, but the rest of Odd Future is legit. Domo Genesis and Mike G made a big leap on this album in my opinion. Domo has probably improved more than any other member of the group. He is prominent on 3 of the last 4 tracks of the album, and those 3 songs are actually my 3 favorite. "Sam (Is Dead)" is a great track. Tyler produces it and you can immediately tell when the horns hit on the chorus that Odd Future have more to work with production wise now that they've blown up. Dom's brief verse to kick off the track is surprisingly honest and down to earth, and Tyler backs that up with two honest verses after that. The next track, "Dom" puts Domo front and center. To quote Dom on that song... "This beat is fu**ing perfect". Tyler is egging him on for a minute straight before Domo starts rapping and it's hilarious. When he does, he strikes oil again. Frank Ocean is on 4 tracks as well, and all the tracks he is on are good. Syd da Kyd mixes Analog 2 (a remix of Analog from Tyler's Goblin album) and Frank and Tyler are great on it. The song definitely grows on you and is just as good as the original Analog. Frank is also on the track "Snow White" with Hodgy Beats, and Left Brain produces this track, and while the song is very short, it's a strong one. Left Brain and Tyler roughly split the production for the whole album, but I will admit that Tyler has surpassed Left Brain as a producer in my opinion, although Left Brain is still a very good producer. His track with Mike G "Forest Green" is another good song. The best track of all though is the album closer "Oldie". It's a ten minute track with all the members on the song. Tyler kicks the song off, then Hodgy, Left Brain, Mike G, Domo, Frank Ocean, Jasper, and then muthafu**in Earl Sweatshirt!!! followed by Tyler again to close it. It's a perfect track and all of members handle the beat nicely. Sadly, this is the only song Earl is on, but he goes off for 2 minutes straight so the wait is worth it. Tyler's closing verse is the perfect closing statement. "This is for the ones who got called weird, **** bi***, nerd/cause you was into jazz, kitty cats, and Steven Spielberg", which leads into the final bar of the entire album, "So instead of bi***in' and complaining being mad as f***/just admit not only are we talented we're rad as f***. "Oldie" is the kind of song that makes me feel that Odd Future will be around for a LONG time. If you're looking for introspection, or meaningful lyrics, you've definitely come to the wrong place. This album has much more to do with them just letting loose with whatever fun B.S. they can think of. What more could you expect from a group of abnoxious adolescents? There are some god awful songs, "Ya Know", "Real Bi***", and "We Got Bi***es". You can probably just tell from the titles of the latter 2 songs that they'll be bad, especially when Taco is on those two tracks, but you can't expect Odd Future to NOT have a few duds. They're still growing, and it will be fun seeing which direction they go from here.… Expand
Apr 10, 2012Overall awesome album. Individually a lot of the songs are great, but in my opinion the songs do not flow together that well. Go buy this album! Best songs... "Oldie" "P" "Sam [Is Dead]" Worst songs... "50" "Snow White" Track reviews...
1) Hi. - Very good intro, makes me laugh and does it's job.
2) Bi**** - Decent song, not the greatest start up for an album but Hodgy and Domo do a nice job on it. Decent beat. 2/5
3) NY [Ned Flander] Good song, Hodgy does nice, and Tyler kills it. There is also a cool music video to it which usually makes me like the song even more. 3/5
4) Ya Know- First time we hear a non rap song and i like it. The Internet are really good but do not get much acknowledgments. A nice chill song. 3/5
5) Forest Green- Wish we heard more from Mike G but this is his only song besides Oldie. I know this song came out a while ago, but it is still dope. Mike G kills a nice Left Brain beat. 4/5
6) Lean- Decent song, nothing really amazing here. Domo and Hodgy do okay. Not my favorite song. 2/5
7) Analog 2/ Wheels 2 - Very nice song. A chilled out Tyler rapping with Frank and Syd singing. A two part song, both are a nice change up from usually OF. 4/5
8) 50 - Do not have much to say with this song. I do not like it all. It is just loud and obnoxious. Not a good beat, not good rapping. I usually like Mellowhype (Hodgy and Left Brain) but not here. 1/5
9) Snow White - Something about this song is just annoying. Hodgy does not do great and Frank's voice does not go well with this song. Not a well put together song. 1/5
10) Rella - Good song. Nice, weird beat and funny clever lyrics from Hodgy, Domo and Tyler. Music video for this song is also classic. Watch it. 3/5
11) Real Bi*** - Nice slow song. Like the beat and LB actually is not that bad on the chorus. taco comes in with a funny verse like usually. Like Hodgy, LB and Taco all on this song. 3/5
12) P - This song grew on me a lot since i started listening to the album. Hodgy does well with the first verse, but Tyler comes in a destroys the beat. No one does better on his beats then him. Clever lyrics and nice beat. 4/5
13) White - Very quite, touching instrumental under nice vocals from Frank Ocean. One of my favorite songs, a big change up from the rest of the album. Song turns a little sad at the end, with nice instrumental outro. 4/5
14) Hcapd - Nice song, Domo and Hodgy do good with their verses and Tyler closes up the song nicely. Nice beat. 3/5
15) Sam [Is Dead] - I love this song so much. Awesome beat. Domo does great with first verse. Chorus is great. Then Tyler goes off. 4/5
16) Doms - I also love this song. Domo does nice on a very good beat from Left Brain. 3/5
17) We Got Bi***** - Funny song, as expected from Jasper, Taco and Tyler. Does what is expected.
18) Oldie - Saving the best for last.... everyone jumps on this track including Earl. Love every single verse. Earl really kills it though. Best song on album. Although it is long as sh*t. 5/5… Expand