The Rising - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
8.2

Review this album

1. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    This was the first album I ever listened to, and it stuck with me ever since. I was six years old on 9/11, and back then I really didn't understand what was going on. Now that I do, this album really brings it all into focus. Every song is moving in its own way and together they make a masterpiece like none other.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    This album is a fantastic return, the Boss does it again, with power, expression and fantastic tracks. While most of the songs were written after September 11, 2001, a few of them pre-date the attacks. It's been rumoured that Springsteen got the inspiration for the album a few days after the 9/11 attacks
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    While the title of the record isn't autobiograhpical for Springsteen, it might as well have been. I'm not sure if Bruce ever completely lost his mojo (1995's The Ghost of Tom Joad is evidence enough) but many will agree that the once insuppressible Rock N Roller from New Jersey lost something other than his band during the mid 80's. The Renaissance of The Boss began with this reflectiveWhile the title of the record isn't autobiograhpical for Springsteen, it might as well have been. I'm not sure if Bruce ever completely lost his mojo (1995's The Ghost of Tom Joad is evidence enough) but many will agree that the once insuppressible Rock N Roller from New Jersey lost something other than his band during the mid 80's. The Renaissance of The Boss began with this reflective yet hopefull record. Over the decade or so since his come back with this album, his output has been incredibly consistent in terms of high quality as seems to continue to feed off the positivity present on this record. Springsteen hadn't sounded so appealling to the masses in almost 20 years before this and the majority of songs here woulnd't be out of place on any of his classic records between 1975 and 1984.

The tunes have a big big sound, the lyrics are full of typical Springsteen slogan's of positivity and hope and while the cynic might call them cheesy at times, they couldn't be more suited for purpose. With plenty of epics and not a bad song to be found, "The Rising" is a must have record.

1. Springsteen refuses to allow himself either vengefulness or excessive pride, and he avoids too-literal musings on the tragedy that ultimately undermined songs like Neil Young's "Let's Roll."
    The most eloquent artistic response yet to the World Trade Center tragedy. [Sep 2002, p.130]
    Both sober and celebratory, The Rising makes a strong case for the transcending power of rock and roll.