• Record Label: Rhino
  • Release Date: Nov 11, 2008
9.0

Review this album

1. Aug 13, 2010
    First of all, I highly recommend you get the Deluxe Edition. With the deluxe edition you'll have access to another CD worth of brilliant music. This is a must-have album for anyone new to The Smiths, or anyone who wants all of their best songs in one compliation album.

Go have a listen to these tracks if you've never heard of The Smiths: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, William It Was Really Nothing, The Boy with the Thorn in His Side, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now?, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
  2. Mar 27, 2011
    Depending on how many of the proper albums you have, as Pitchfork has said, depends on how much you will welcome the first disc. I counted 12 songs out of the remainder (around 24 songs on Disc 1) that I did NOT have so that was a plus. And in the second disc, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were another 13 or 14 songs (also about 24 songs) which I did not have, and whichDepending on how many of the proper albums you have, as Pitchfork has said, depends on how much you will welcome the first disc. I counted 12 songs out of the remainder (around 24 songs on Disc 1) that I did NOT have so that was a plus. And in the second disc, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were another 13 or 14 songs (also about 24 songs) which I did not have, and which were live or b-sides I never heard before after all of these years. There is no need for me to tell you how great the music is -- it's the Smiths! It's a great collection for both newcomers and long-time fans. This was obviously a labor of love for Morrissey and Marr who produced it. And the pics of the band are very generous and great to have. Originally, I didn't buy this item because of the expensive (for me) price, but today I found a used copy for $15.99 so good on me!

Love you Estephan y Johnny! Mucho love for the Smiths!
  3. Oct 20, 2013
    Si ya conoceis a los Smiths, poco os tengo que decir. Conocereis sus brillantes composiciones, sus inteligentes letras y sus impresionantes melodias.
    Si no los conoceis, comprarlo. Entre tanta mediania de la música actual, hacer un hueco a un brillante recopilatorio de temas, que abarcan toda la pequeña historia (en tiempo) de The Smiths. Adentraros con sus primeras y más básicas composiciones, aunque no por ello menos sublimes. Dejaros maravillar, acariciar, perturbar por sus increibles letras, sus guitarras brillantes, y la voz inconfundible de Morrissey.

Un disco obligatorio, de seguramente, la banda inglesa más importante de todos los tiempos.

1. So yadda yadda yadda, a best of isn't as worthwhile as a group's actual albums, what a shocker.
  2. The first disc is fine, containing most of the band's singles and a few key album tracks. The second is messier.
  3. It proves that with the same attention, wit, grace and intellect that these musicians gave to their songwriting, they can indeed construct a retrospective that not only reflects the brilliance of their band but heightens and intensifies it as well.