The Terror - The Flaming Lips
8.0

Review this album

1. Aug 21, 2013
    What. A disappointment. The Flaming Lips, prior to this record, made three back to back albums that I fell in love with and still listen to today. I understand the band and primarily Wayne Coyne are growing older, but I don't understand the complete shift in their sound, especially one this depressing and glum. How sad and terrified could Wayne Coyne be? This record is an awful acid trip and I guess me being in the minority did not find many values to enjoy in this album. Wayne sounds hlf dead and the band hardly put any effort in it. While their previous records sounded bombastic and very theatrical, The Terror sounds too restrained, something that seems great on paper but executed very sloppily.

All In All, The Terror is The Flaming Lips' weakest release I've heard, but in a slight way shows their maturity clearly coming through. I just hope it's done well next time. C-
  2. Jan 9, 2014
    The Terror is aptly named. This is pretty much an hour of background music, which might be the point. You can pop it in your car's CD player and forget about it.

It's still awesome, of course, just don't expect to enjoy it. [May 2013, p.85]
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    There’s nothing to dislike about their creeping dread, but it’s hard to engage with it.
  3. May 15, 2013
    The Terror is simply the latest (and darkest) report from those reaches, one that generates holographic intensities of the dire straits this band has seen throughout its 30-year career.