9.0

Review this album

1. Nov 1, 2012
    As I write this review it has been six years since I bought this album. It has yet to lose its appeal. A better album has not been made in the those six years. It is a little known, yet classic album.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    trials 8
    trials 8
    It's folk/rock but Midlake sound pretty different to almost everyone else around the place at the moment. This record reminds me a little of Fleetwood Mac, kind of a 70's rock vibe off it. This is a record full of really strong songwriting, you can hear a lot of work has gone into the process of constructing the songs. It's my favourite Midlake record by a long way. "Young Bride" and "Branches" are at the centre of the album and are the highlights for me.

1. Midlake might be stuck in the '70s, but they make it sound like the best place on earth.
  2. Nostalgic, sure, but comforting, meticulous, and complex.
  3. So while the subdued vocal harmonies and acoustic folk influences of 70s pop bands Chicago and America can be heard, there is enough intricately layered dream-pop floating around the fleshed-out orchestrations to keep indie-rock fans contented.