6.7

Review this album

1. Aug 9, 2013
    This album is great At the beginning i thought it was total crap, all this ballads were unnecessary and just didn't fit. But after a while i realised that Editors made something something different and something better. Their music is now more American, and i think this is the reason of so low reviews. For me one of the best album of the 2013, so far.
  2. Jul 7, 2013
    This album is amazing. Another example of how the Editors are able to change their sound and excel with new dynamics. Just as ITLAOTE focused on synth driven melodies, this album focuses on Tom's lyrics and lugubrious vocals. Sure, it's unlikely we'll ever hear the raw power found in The Back Room, but it's better for them to explore new sounds then rehash the same album every two years. This is an album I'll be happy to play with my girlfriend in the car, it's not too depressing and is rather beautiful at times. Luckily, we still have their older work, and can swap out their records according to what you're in the mood to listen to! Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Albums as good as this are very rare. Stunningly brilliant. The bad reviews on this site are simply wrong. Go out and get it now you won't regret it.
  4. Apr 17, 2014
    Editors can easily be one of the most (over)analysed bands in past ten or so years. From their sound, influences, lyrics, Tom Smith's falsetto to their resemblance to Coldplay, Muse, Joy Division, Echo and The Bunnymen, U2, even Editors themselves... everything has been anatomized. Why am I writing this? Because I think there lies problem some people have with them.

Truth is that they
    have always remained faithful to their idiosyncratic, heavy industrial from time to time, sound, from their début "The Back Room". Also, truth is that their music is meant to be played live, and possibly outdoors. They stole my heart when I first heard them live almost five years ago, and since then I have never heard a band performing live so well. Without exaggerated sound effects, light-show or some other stuff that masks music. I am talking about - pure, beautiful, echoing, can-cause-endorphins-hangover music. When they play on open space there are very few band that can compare with them.

Sound on the "The Weight of Your Love" is a bit different, mostly due to the departure of Chris Urbanowicz in April 2012., but not in a bad way. Just different. Serious, but not with arrogance. It is an hour long walk through all stages and kinds of love and hate - from infatuation and desire in A Ton of Love to long overdue breakup in What Is This Thing Called Love. Album can also be named "Eleven tales of love and hate". But I love it. I would love it even more if songs were in different order, and if Sting was not part of the Deluxe edition. I don't want to be too pretentious, but this album might be their "The Joshua Tree" (no pun intended). Band has taken different path, lyrics are not so ambiguous any more "... and I promised myself I wouldn't talk about death" (The Weight), they sound very cohesive... time will tell. But it can also be their "Collapse into Now". I hope that will not be the case.
  5. Aug 19, 2013
    Very good album, much better than In This Light and On This Evening, some odd lyrics in a few songs but it keeps it interesting. I expected the worst after their last album, but this album is certainly no disappointment. It seems like they have gone back towards An End Has A Start and The Back Room, which were equally as good albums.

1. Aug 28, 2013
    There are glimmers of the band that went before. [Aug-Sep 2013, p.130]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    There are a few thrilling moments here—notably the cinematic ballad “Nothing”--but the band mostly flounders as it seeks a new direction.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    No matter what mode they’re in, they manage to turn four-minute songs into small eternities.