7.4

Review this album

1. matthewg
    Oct 20, 2002
    it is just bad. I don't need to hear every damn person on this orb play their 'music'
  2. romank
    Jun 19, 2003
    the first time i heard this album by the Liars, i was blown away wholly by the intensity, creativity, and passion of these montage of blistering 2 minute punchy songs. then, i got to the last track, "this dust makes that mud". suffice to say, it ruined my whole experience of it. the first couple of minutes is on par with the rest of the album, but then we come to a loop, repeating the the first time i heard this album by the Liars, i was blown away wholly by the intensity, creativity, and passion of these montage of blistering 2 minute punchy songs. then, i got to the last track, "this dust makes that mud". suffice to say, it ruined my whole experience of it. the first couple of minutes is on par with the rest of the album, but then we come to a loop, repeating the same 5 secs. for 26 MINUTES (!!!). i listened for 10 minutes, wondered if this was going anywhere, then fast-forwarded and retired. please - 26 minutes of repition is not musical exploration or pushing any boundaries to me. now that the liars are as good as dead (with pat and ron gone), RIP Liars. Expand
  3. BobG
    Aug 3, 2006
    Does everybody who ranked this album have a last name starting with G?
  4. samg
    Dec 6, 2002
    matt g is dumb, this album is great
  5. AdamX
    Dec 9, 2003
    all round genius! a totally inspirational adventure... if you dont get the last track then you don't deserve to listen to this album... ;)
  6. JeremyG
    Feb 5, 2004
    The rhythm section owns this album, the other two members are just renting time and space on it. Personally, I stop the last track when it gets to the loop. To those of you who think that I don't get the album because of this, I wish you a good time as you enjoy your 26 minutes of loopage.
  7. less_success
    Aug 3, 2006
    Liars' debut is aggressive, but still dancey. Personally I think this is the best album to come out of the New York "dancepunk" thing. By the way, roman k's posts that Liars were dead after pat and ron left the group was a slight miscalculation.

1. The Wire
    They're at their best on tracks like "Nothing Is Ever Lost[...]," where they conjure the wheeling claustrophobia of PiL circa Metal Box. [#223, p.66]
  2. Mixing the grit that was The Stooges with the bounce that was Gang of Four, Liars and their debut release are everything that should be praised about Brooklyn's music scene.
  3. Nailed to the dancefloor by Flea-like bassist Pat Nature, and dragged up to date by hip-hop beats and random electronica, musically Liars are taut as a tightrope.