Third - Portishead
8.2

Review this album

1. Apr 28, 2011
    I've listened to this album several times over the past three years and each time I walk away with mixed feelings. On one hand, Beth Gibbons' wonderfully haunting vocals remain and make my ears happy. On the other hand, this is not the same Portishead that made me fall in love with them all those years ago.

They've completely abandoned the classic Trip Hop sound that they essentially

They've completely abandoned the classic Trip Hop sound that they essentially helped pioneer. Change is not always a bad thing, but I fear they they've ventured so far as to remove themselves from the realm of my tea cup.

Third is by no means a "bad" album, but it's not a direct evolution of the sound that made Dummy and Self Titled so amazing either. It has moments of greatness, but to me falls flat more often than not. I probably won't ever stop listening to Third, but each time I do I'll wish wish it had been something more.
  2. Aug 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If darkness can find an image perfectly involved into kindness, it´s in Third, a majestic point of view of how music can speak for itself. And we can´t say it doesn´t exist when Portishead must firmly make us hear it does. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2011
    When I first listened to this album, I really did not like it at all. It was loud and abrasive, and left me feeling quite unsettled. It's strange, but that's exactly what I love about this album now. That very first track pulls you in slowly, builds and builds and then socks you square in the guts. And that sets the tone for the album perfectly. It's full of big, bold sounds, hauntingWhen I first listened to this album, I really did not like it at all. It was loud and abrasive, and left me feeling quite unsettled. It's strange, but that's exactly what I love about this album now. That very first track pulls you in slowly, builds and builds and then socks you square in the guts. And that sets the tone for the album perfectly. It's full of big, bold sounds, haunting vocals, and fair few killer punches. 'The Rip' is gentle and full of emotion, 'Nylon Smile' brims with otherworldly mystery and 'Machine Gun' is exactly as it appears: loud, brutal and all-encompassing. This definitely is an album to listen to over and over to appreciate it's complexities, and one that should only be listened to in its entirety. Brilliant right to the end.â Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2011
    I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO PUT IT DOWN. SURE IT HAS MANY NEW SOUNDS BUT IT PUSHES PORTISHEAD INTO A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF GREAT MUSIC. PORTISHEAD A SEXY ROCK BAND? YOU BE THE JUDGE! AFTER MANY YEARS OF WAITING FOR ANYTHING NEW THEY TRULY DELIVER THE GOODS. BE SURE TO GIVE IT MORE THAN JUST ONE LISTEN BECAUSE LIKE ANYTHING GREAT IT GROWSI HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO PUT IT DOWN. SURE IT HAS MANY NEW SOUNDS BUT IT PUSHES PORTISHEAD INTO A WHOLE NEW WORLD OF GREAT MUSIC. PORTISHEAD A SEXY ROCK BAND? YOU BE THE JUDGE! AFTER MANY YEARS OF WAITING FOR ANYTHING NEW THEY TRULY DELIVER THE GOODS. BE SURE TO GIVE IT MORE THAN JUST ONE LISTEN BECAUSE LIKE ANYTHING GREAT IT GROWS ON YOU AND NEVER LET'S GO. Expand
  5. Oct 2, 2011
    This is not my favorite album (though it probably is my favorite portishead record), but for some reason I always want to hear it again, and I keep coming back to it. It is so jarring and abrasive at times, but it is also so original and forward thinking, that my initial reaction is always forgotten and I end up giving it another spin.
  6. Mar 21, 2012
    Great third record from English experimenters. Not the most accessibly record you'll ever hear but it has loads of really good ideas that come together to make some really good tracks. The single, Machine Gun is my favourite track on it. This one sounds pretty much like it's title, and it's got a Terminator type theme climax to it. You have to listen to this to get what I'm talking aboutGreat third record from English experimenters. Not the most accessibly record you'll ever hear but it has loads of really good ideas that come together to make some really good tracks. The single, Machine Gun is my favourite track on it. This one sounds pretty much like it's title, and it's got a Terminator type theme climax to it. You have to listen to this to get what I'm talking about really. It's Portisheads' Kid A record. Unfortunately it's 4 years old now and who knows when we will get a follow up. Expand

It's groove-deprived and difficult, and not in a particularly inventive way. [May 2008, p.78]
  2. Both ancient and futuristic, a mildewed signal from a more advanced culture that failed to survive the ice age, Third doesn’t make you pay attention to its desolate contours, but rather stare out of the window, creeping panic causing your mind to dart in a million dark directions at once.
  3. Long awaited comeback from Bristol trip-hop outfit proves worth the wait.